2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Jerod Mayo

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This thread is about it Mayo guys...

JK, continue...

[/QUOTE]

But...But...

No, seriously, how nasty is this defense gonna be next year with the return of co captians Mayo and VW with one of 3 true shut down CB's in the league and an injection of experienced youth in Hightower(last year was a huge learning gain for Hightower) Collins, Dennard, Ryan, Harmon, Jones!

Love it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JK, continue...

[/QUOTE]

But...But...

No, seriously, how nasty is this defense gonna be next year with the return of co captians Mayo and VW with one of 3 true shut down CB's in the league and an injection of experienced youth in Hightower(last year was a huge learning gain for Hightower) Collins, Dennard, Ryan, Harmon, Jones!

Love it!

[/QUOTE]

This is the feeling I had the beginning of last year about our D, but I think I am that much more excited.... for all the reasons you stated above. This could be a special year.  With another training camp for the younng Wr's as well, our offense should be that much better. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I have absolutely no idea why Mayo takes his knocks from NE fans.  Beyond baffling to me as the guy is a stud and practically leads the NFL in tackles every single year.  As for the combination of Mayo, Hightower, Collins, I think with some good luck in the health department this year we could see the best linebacker core in the NFL, and in Pats history.  I know that's a massively high statement, but the talent and possiblity is certainly there. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Mayo is a stud and getting him back is like finding a real cool present hidden under the skirt of the Christmas tree 2 days after...........Someone knew it was there and how valuable it was, they just forgot about it. Can't wait to see him calling  out the defensive signals and adjustments pre snap...probably the most underrated part of his game and something we definitely missed all of last season. I think we may finally get the D we've been waiting for ever since BB lost his Guru title............

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JK, continue...

[/QUOTE]

But...But...

Love it!

[/QUOTE]

This is the feeling I had the beginning of last year about our D, but I think I am that much more excited.... for all the reasons you stated above. This could be a special year.  With another training camp for the younng Wr's as well, our offense should be that much better. 

[/QUOTE]

And what if we hit big in the draft defensively.............................big smiles!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have absolutely no idea why Mayo takes his knocks from NE fans.  Beyond baffling to me as the guy is a stud and practically leads the NFL in tackles every single year.  As for the combination of Mayo, Hightower, Collins, I think with some good luck in the health department this year we could see the best linebacker core in the NFL, and in Pats history.  I know that's a massively high statement, but the talent and possiblity is certainly there. 

[/QUOTE]

IMO I think cause he's not that great at coverage. Makes a lot of tackles though and is good against the run. I hope we draft a good DT and armestead is healthy so we stop over using big Vince. The d was pretty good till injurys, I think game 6 last year. I feel better then I did last year!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To nobody in particular...

If you can play corner (zone) well, then you can play safety, especially at Browner's size.  I agree that in the modern NFL he will likely be up at the line playing press coverage against the Calvin Johnson's of the league, but then so did Rodney Harrison.  He will move around a lot.

I would also stress that BB, especially in the defensive backfield, doesn't see starters and would not hesitate for a second to put Browner or even McCourty at corner if he liked the matchup.  Revis will obviously start and while the other side might be interchangeable I think that Dennard is our best every down option, he is big, physical and strong enough to press and can turn and run, though not blazing fast like Revis.  

If the receiver opposite him was quicker, I could easily see Logan Ryan there but I also think BB won't let a younger player step in front of a vet unless he gets injured or falls off and Dennard isn't likely to fall off.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed about Browner...they can say he'll start at corner, and he might do that early on or the first few snaps of games, but I think they use him everywhere because of his size and might allow them to NOT draft a smaller, faster 4-3 LB for back and TE coverage purposes this season...that would allow them to use a high draft pick to load up at TE and either Interior Line which they need to do badly, IMO...time for youth to get ready...

This promises to be one of the best draft classes in many, many years...the 90 or so underclassmen declaring before the min. contract length goes from 4 to 5 years will prove a godsend to many clubs as it should to us...it's a great year to move back in the draft to pick up more decent picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Oh yeah, right, Mayo...sorry...

The guy is a mainstay of this D and has been for years...as long as he's right physically he's an All-Pro and indispensible to this teams LB crew and overfall team D...just a smart, tough, physically gifted player...Nink is quoted today that he's working out hard...I doubt he'd be able to do so if his pec area was still injured...he'll be fine this season...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I love me some Mayo baby.. he's been my favorite Pat besides TB and VW. Great leader and a top 5 ILB in the league imo. can do everything well

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we'll have to wait and see what happens when they get on the field.  Browner has been a corner all his career.  A move to safety is possible, but not everyone can make that move successfully.  I assume BB will try him there, though, in camp.  Even if the long term plan isn't to move him to safety, BB likes his players to have versatility and know other positions. 

I don't think it's clear yet who will start at corner (other than Revis, who I do think is a lock barring injurySmile).  I think there will be very good competition in camp and I'm not sure there's a clear front runner yet.  Dennard could get pushed by Browner and even Logan Ryan.

[/QUOTE]

In a nickel or dime does it matter cb or s designation unless you are playing way back to cover the deep threat? I think in a nickel or dime, bb will just match up best he can. I can see browner on TEs or bigger receivers, lined up on the line where he can use his strengths. I just think once you get beyond the basic formation, and where you have a lot of good DBs, bb will just line em up less statically. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB is not telling Browner he is playing S when he signs. Of course he is gonna wait until camp. Atrell Hawkins came here to play CB and was thrust into the S role and did very well w/no prior experience.

When BB converted Tebucky Jones into a S, he had been playing CB the whole time under Pete Carrol. He didnt seem to have a problem. With SS, its just a matter of IF you want to hit and weve seen some big hits from Browner so to me its Gonna Happen, just a matter of When. Whatever BB has to do to get the best guys on the field together, he is gonna do it. So S, Roving LB in subs, etc. Whatever he wants to do, he will. Remember he had Talib covering everyone from WR, TE to FB, so like in the case vs Miami, he covered Clay and Arrington got abused by Wallace. Now if they wanna put Revis on Anyone, they can use Browner for traditional CB, but mostly I think he plays S in some role. Its a no brainer. OR he Moves to CB once Revis leaves next year or.......      lots of options.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. That is the beauty of this db group..diverse, lots of different skills sets and I think on paper at least, can match up on any receiving group very well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JK, continue...

[/QUOTE]

But...But...

Love it!

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I felt this way last year before injuries. If not for all the injuries, last year would,have been a special group. this year looks to surpass that..on paper anyway, and assuming vw, Kelly and mayo come back and play well.

on the thread topic...I never forgot about mayo. Especially when he wasn't out there. He really is an underrated player by some. There may only be 3-4 lbs in the league currently I would rather have. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I really dont understand why people have a problem with Mayo. Its almost like they expect him to be as good or better than Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis (circa 2002). It can be based on unrealistic expectations, but not really on production because he clearly produces.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I don't think anyone who knocks Mayo really knows football all that well...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Interesting quote from you. So people that knock Mayo don't know football but people that knock Brady all day long (actually there's only one and he happens to be your buddy) somehow do? Hypocrisy at it's finest...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really dont understand why people have a problem with Mayo. Its almost like they expect him to be as good or better than Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis (circa 2002). It can be based on unrealistic expectations, but not really on production because he clearly produces.

[/QUOTE]

Let's be honest here. We are talking about the same 3 or 4 guys on this forum. We know who they are. It isn't that a bunch of fans are saying negative things about Mayo, it is the 3 or 4 guys saying negative things a bunch of times.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Speaking to Mayo, he is a pro bowl LB who is a tackling machine.  I consider him to be among the 10 best LBs in the league.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I

[/QUOTE]

In a nickel or dime does it matter cb or s designation unless you are playing way back to cover the deep threat? I think in a nickel or dime, bb will just match up best he can. I can see browner on TEs or bigger receivers, lined up on the line where he can use his strengths. I just think once you get beyond the basic formation, and where you have a lot of good DBs, bb will just line em up less statically. 

[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this Lifer.  I don't think BB worries much about a player's formal "position."  To him, positions are fluid, without rigid boundaries.  A player's role will be based on the player's individual skills, and lots of roles in BB's schemes will combine different aspects of different traditional roles. It's why you hear BB refer to players as edge guys rather than DEs or OLBs. In his mind those two "positions" are fluid and merge into one another. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I like Mayo a lot and think the quality of the defense this coming year will be greatly influenced by how well he returns from the injury.  I'm optimistic all will go well, and am glad to hear Nink's comments which suggest the rehab is progressing nicely.  As always though, I'm cautious until I see the player actually get on the field.  LB remains a bit of a question mark for this team because of Mayo's injury, the loss of Spikes and Fletcher, and the fact that Collins, while very promising, is still just a second year player.  It's one reason why I've been increasingly thinking that BB may use one of his top picks this draft on a LB.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Speaking to Mayo, he is a pro bowl LB who is a tackling machine.  I consider him to be among the 10 best LBs in the league.

[/QUOTE]

Easily a top 5 ILB if not top 3. I think a strong argument can be made for top 10 of all LB's 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You got that right

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You got that right

[/QUOTE]

+1

Look forward to a great, suffocating defense in 2014!

Boston, City of Champions!

Sections
Shortcuts