Jerod Mayo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Jerod Mayo

Seems like we forgot about him around here.  I know some don't like him but Mayo, Hightower and Collins sounds exciting to me.

He’s been working out with linebacker Jerod Mayo, who was placed on season-ending injured reserve after tearing his pectoral muscle Oct. 13 against the New Orleans Saints

Nink:   “Me and Mayo are in there, he’s a pretty explosive guy, so I try to keep up with [him],” he said. “He’s looking good right now. I’ve been training with him for a long time, and it’s always good to have somebody to push you and make you better.” - Per reiss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Jerod Mayo

Great LB squad. Mayo coming off a Peck injury is better then coming off a knee injury etc.. Mayo, Hightower and Collins have versatility! Dangerous group, just needs a little depth. Excited to see Mayo playing with these 2 young stud athletes!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Starting D

Browner      Harmon      McCourty       Revis

Mayo       Hightower       Collins

Jones     Kelly      Wilfork      Nink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Starting D

Browner      Harmon      McCourty       Revis

Mayo       Hightower       Collins

Jones     Kelly      Wilfork      Nink

[/QUOTE]

I think Dennard will start over Browner all year barring injury. Imo he is a much better Cb at this time. Not so say I think Browner is bad, I just think Dennard will be our starting #2 CB especially with Browner suspended for the 1st quarter of the season. I would love to see Browner at 30 years old and a slight loss of fluidity in his hips(is fluidity a word) playing SS at 6'4 with his propensity for laying the wood. Of course Browner could steal Kyle or Ryans spot...but they're good players too!

I could also see Siligia playing over VW or Kelly depending on who's healthier.

In any case, the D looks great, hopefully we have some luck in the injury department this year which has been the only issue with this defense, regardless of what a few guys on this board say.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Dennard will start over Browner all year barring injury. Imo he is a much better Cb at this time. Not so say I think Browner is bad, I just think Dennard will be our starting #2 CB especially with Browner suspended for the 1st quarter of the season. I would love to see Browner at 30 years old and a slight loss of fluidity in his hips(is fluidity a word) playing SS at 6'4 with his propensity for laying the wood. Of course Browner could steal Kyle or Ryans spot...but they're good players too!

In any case, the D looks great, hopefully we have some luck in the injury department this year which has been the only issue with this defense, regardless of what a few guys on this board say.

[/QUOTE]

Dude if Siliga is starting over Wilfork, then Vince will be cut because it means he's done.  Vince will be the same player he has always been, football gods willing.  Agree Revis and Dennard are the two best every down corners on our team, I hope Dennard learns from Revis.  I agree Browner will be more of a mobile player, moving around at safety, pressing big receivers at the line...

A 3/4 of Jones and Nink outside, with Collins subbing in often, heavy rotation, along with Mayo and Hightower inside playing the Bruschi/Ted Johnson roles is an amazing squad.

A 4/3 with Hightower inside and Mayo/Collins on the edges might be even better depending on DT health.

This draft is going to get me hyped. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Love the D but don't see Browner at Safety.  As best I can determine, he's never played the position.  Otherwise lots of reason for optimism about the coming year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

It will be interesting to see how BB deploys his depth in the secondary. Especially considering they were only in the base D 30% of the time last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dude if Siliga is starting over Wilfork, then Vince will be cut because it means he's done.  Vince will be the same player he has always been, football gods willing.  Agree Revis and Dennard are the two best every down corners on our team, I hope Dennard learns from Revis.  I agree Browner will be more of a mobile player, moving around at safety, pressing big receivers at the line...

A 3/4 of Jones and Nink outside, with Collins subbing in often, heavy rotation, along with Mayo and Hightower inside playing the Bruschi/Ted Johnson roles is an amazing squad.

A 4/3 with Hightower inside and Mayo/Collins on the edges might be even better depending on DT health.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I meant to  add "early on" with VW and Kelly coming back from injury. I think Vince wil come back huge, i just think Siligia earned some playing time last year. With VW and Kellys age, a rotation is in order.

Can't wait for the draft...if it ever comes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Love the D but don't see Browner at Safety.  As best I can determine, he's never played the position.  Otherwise lots of reason for optimism about the coming year. 

[/QUOTE]

Lots of CB's have never played safety but make the move once they hit their 30's...especially the more physical ones. I think he will line up all over. Cover some TE's, some big receivers, and be an extra "defensive back". 

I guess my point is, I dont see Browner starting over Dennard and I really dont see him starting over Arrington covering slot guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think we'll have to wait and see what happens when they get on the field.  Browner has been a corner all his career.  A move to safety is possible, but not everyone can make that move successfully.  I assume BB will try him there, though, in camp.  Even if the long term plan isn't to move him to safety, BB likes his players to have versatility and know other positions. 

I don't think it's clear yet who will start at corner (other than Revis, who I do think is a lock barring injurySmile).  I think there will be very good competition in camp and I'm not sure there's a clear front runner yet.  Dennard could get pushed by Browner and even Logan Ryan.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kezzamuzza. Show kezzamuzza's posts

Not to sound negative as I like the defence now but think who Seattle can thrown into their front seven on rotational basis. 

Big drop off for us in our replacements.....depth is the key.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lots of CB's have never played safety but make the move once they hit their 30's...especially the more physical ones. I think he will line up all over. Cover some TE's, some big receivers, and be an extra "defensive back". 

I guess my point is, I dont see Browner starting over Dennard and I really dont see him starting over Arrington covering slot guys.

[/QUOTE]

With the depth and flexibility they have in the secondary I think you are going to see many different personel groupings. On 3rd down alone depending on distance you will see many different variations of secondary and LB groupings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

To nobody in particular...

If you can play corner (zone) well, then you can play safety, especially at Browner's size.  I agree that in the modern NFL he will likely be up at the line playing press coverage against the Calvin Johnson's of the league, but then so did Rodney Harrison.  He will move around a lot.

I would also stress that BB, especially in the defensive backfield, doesn't see starters and would not hesitate for a second to put Browner or even McCourty at corner if he liked the matchup.  Revis will obviously start and while the other side might be interchangeable I think that Dennard is our best every down option, he is big, physical and strong enough to press and can turn and run, though not blazing fast like Revis.  

If the receiver opposite him was quicker, I could easily see Logan Ryan there but I also think BB won't let a younger player step in front of a vet unless he gets injured or falls off and Dennard isn't likely to fall off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to kezzamuzza's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not to sound negative as I like the defence now but think who Seattle can thrown into their front seven on rotational basis. 

Big drop off for us in our replacements.....depth is the key.

[/QUOTE]

Seattle rotated a lot of players in and out.  Belichick used to do this a lot too, but we haven't had the depth for it recently.  I think you're right.  I assume BB would like more quality depth and would like to rotate players more.   I've long thought that DT and LB might be the two highest priorities in the draft for the Pats. 

I also see needs elsewhere (Interior OL, TE/WR, DE, RB, safety) but I have a feeling there will be a strong focus on the defensive front seven as long as the quality is there. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Generally agree with both Ghost and Wozzy about the diversity in the backfield.  One thing to understand about BB is he's not "position bound."  He sees players for what they can do and doesn't pigeon hole them (or their assignments) based on what "position" they are technically listed at.  It's part of his genius.   We're going to have a lot of defensive formations with 5 or even 6 DBs  and sometimes the DBs are really going to be LBs and the LBs may even be more like DBs.  In BB's schemes positions are fluid and not rigidly defined. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True love to optimism but really Dennard over Browner and Siliga over Vince or Kelly?

Browner was ranked as the 2nd best press corner in the league (Revis being #1). Dennard is considered more of a press corner type and isn't even in the top 5 of best press corners. Now it might take a couple games after the suspension for Browner to get back into the role but I fully expect by half way through the season Dennard will be in the slot with Ryan and Browner and Revis starting on the outside. Btw Browner could steal Arrington's or Ryans spot? How about no chance he doesn't play over them. I understand you love our players but on occassion you have to be a bit more realistic. Arrington is just an average #3/4 CB at best, Browner was a starting CB and 2nd best press corner in the league and you think he just could steal a spot?

As for Siliga, he's on his 4th team in 3 years and his former team (Den) completely washed him out of the game. I'm sure other teams are going to pop in that tape and see exactly how Den did it. Siliga is a nice player but he's more of a Love type of player than an actual starter. You guys fall in love with players way too quickly after a couple of games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I like our front 3 LB's. I liked Collins coming out of the draft but they still need a 4th LB to rotate in. Collins could hit that 2nd year slump and as of right now I'm not seeing anyone behind any of them that I would trust. Even if they sign Smith would still like to spend a pick on a LB for insurance and rotational duty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

For the record, when Browner does in fact line up in a Safety position during the regular season, I would like to stipulate for the record that I prefer my crow grilled with just a touch of black pepper.

And, for the record, I'm going on record here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Vince won't be cut unless he absolutely can't perform. His contract is full of performance goals. The starter's job is still his until he can't do it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like our front 3 LB's. I liked Collins coming out of the draft but they still need a 4th LB to rotate in. Collins could hit that 2nd year slump and as of right now I'm not seeing anyone behind any of them that I would trust. Even if they sign Smith would still like to spend a pick on a LB for insurance and rotational duty.

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  It's why I wouldn't be totally surprised if BB trades up in the first round for a LB if a quality one is available. I'm not saying he will do that or should do that--but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  It's why I wouldn't be totally surprised if BB trades up in the first round for a LB if a quality one is available. I'm not saying he will do that or should do that--but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much agree with both of you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't use a 1st on a LB. To big of a need on the DL and TE first. But some mid round guys I'd take a heavy look at as 4th LB types:

Jackson Jeffcoat Texas - had a great year getting into the backfield with some coverage ability. He was an undersized DE at Texas but has a 6'3" 250 frame with 4.6 speed. Has some issues going sideline to side line but if you are looking for a rush LB who has ability to put his hand down in the dirt Jeffcoat is worth a look early day 3.

Michael Sam Missouri - Has the size BB likes in his LB's with big games against Ark, Fl, and Van. Is a bit rough around the edges against the run but very talented rushing ability. Should be a mid day 3 pick

Aaron Lynch S. Fl - Lynch was a beast at ND before getting home sick and needing to go back home. Has some off-field concerns that will drop him but nothing that sends up don't touch me flags. If he repeated what he did at ND the kid would be an instant 1st round pick. Has Jones athletic ability and could play as an elephant. Found in the late rounds to UDFA

James Morris Iowa - Solid overall LB, much like Fletcher was, nothing spectacular but can play every LB position and give spot starting reps without a massive drop off. He's just a solid all around LB who won't blow you away. Found in mid day 3

Caleb Lavey Ok St - Good coverage LB with great instincts. Won't impress you with athletic ability but always seems to be around the plays and has a good head on his shoulders. When he's on the field is seems always natural movements to get into position. Found day 3

Max Bullough Mich St - In the box LB who's a down hill thumper much like Spikes was. One of the better run stuffing LB's in the draft but coverage is his weakness. Has some concerns over being suspended for the Rose Bowl but was selected firt team All-Big Ten LB but the other coaches. Early day 3 pick

Yawin Smallwood UConn - The most consistant LB in the draft. This kid is a tackling machine and just does his job. He's a slightly above average LB in all catagories but doesn't excel in any really. The thing about him is he knows how to tackle and rarely misses one. Late day 2 early day 3 kid

Telvin Smith Fl St - MB would kill me if I didn't mention this kid, LB/S tweener who excels in coverage. Not much of a pass rush he doesn't shy away from being in the box as a run defender but can get over powered at times. Mainly a passing down LB to drop back into coverage. 3rd-4th round kid

Lamin Barrow LSU - Quitely he had a great season at LSU and was very impressive at senior bowl practice. He's an above run and pass defender but doesn't excel in either. Can play both inside and out comfortably but won't put his hand down. All in all a good overall LB. Early day 3 

Kevin Pierre-Louis BC - Had a impressive combine and is just a solid overall LB with some great speed for a LB to add to his coverage ability. The Pats have already checked him out. Mid day 3 pick

Steele Divitto BC - Besides having a great name this kid has some of the best instincts for LB's in the draft. His athletism is below average, he isn't overly strong or fast yet he just seems to make plays. He reminds me a lot of Bruschi. Late day 3 - UDFA

Any of these guys could be good 4th LB options and most have some flexibility to cover multiple LB positions. This is more what I'm looking for in the draft towards LB's not so much a 1st or 2nd round LB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Browner is not a S. He is a physical press corner who does his best trailing receivers. He has issues in zone and seems to get confused on who to play and where to be. If you only want him as a down hill box defender against the run fine he can play that role but zone really is one of his weaknesses. Not all CB's can play S and Browner is the perfect example as he lacks the CoD and ability to go sideline to sideline along with getting lost in zone coverage. Better just to let him play the outside in press where he doesn't have to worry about zone coverages or quick CoD routes and can play up to his strengths.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

True love to optimism but really Dennard over Browner and Siliga over Vince or Kelly?

Fully stand by my comment that Dennard is and will be a better CB then Browner this season(barring injuries etc..) To clarifly I meant Siligia in rotation early on, didn't mean starting over them for the season, but yes I think he deserves to play"heavy" minutes. I've said the whole time if VW is healthy we would offer him an extension, he will take it, gain 20 more pounds and become Ted Washington part 2 and anchor a Superbowl D line for the remaining years of his career.

Browner was ranked as the 2nd best press corner in the league (Revis being #1).

When? 2011? I am surprised with you being the ultimate pessimist, you're not down on the Browner pick up. "Red Flag" player, PED ties, injuries and a decline in play for Seattle where he lost his starting job just last year. 

Dennard is considered more of a press corner type and isn't even in the top 5 of best press corners.Dennard is also entering year 3 and if he stays healthy I like his proggression more then Browners regression(not saying Browner is a bad player, I just don't see him playing up to 2011 status) 

Now it might take a couple games after the suspension for Browner to get back into the role but I fully expect by half way through the season Dennard will be in the slot with Ryan and Browner and Revis starting on the outside. Btw Browner could steal Arrington's or Ryans spot? How about no chance he doesn't play over them.We'll see, I think it will be more of a time share and Browner will be used more in certain games matching up with other teams personnel and floating in different positions. I think Ryan needs to be on the field next year. 

I understand you love our players but on occassion you have to be a bit more realistic.I am being realistic, I'm excited about the Browner pick up and love the physicality he brings but this guy had 1 great season 3 years agao, and has since been suspended for failed drug tests, and perhaps his decline last year was due to cycling off his med's? This is why I predict some safety play from Browner, he was losing guys in coverage last year where he wasn't in 2011 and half of 2012. 

Arrington is just an average #3/4 CB at best,Arrington was the top rated slot cover corner in the league in 2012, not sure where he ranked last season?

Browner was a starting CB and 2nd best press corner in the league and you think he just could steal a spot?When? He played in 8 games last year, lost his starting job and was suspended for the remainder of the year? Hey, I also heard one of his buddies flashed a "gang sign" at a Brittany Spears concertSurprised How could you like this guy? 

As for Siliga, he's on his 4th team in 3 years and his former team (Den) completely washed him out of the game. I'm sure other teams are going to pop in that tape and see exactly how Den did it.They washed him out by throwing all over us when 5ft7 Welker took Talib out of his 2nd straight afc championship game.

Siliga is a nice player but he's more of a Love type of player than an actual starter. You guys fall in love with players way too quickly after a couple of games.Siligia turned in a +7 pff rating in his starts with the Pats last year, that is an outstanding grade if measurables interest you? It isn't as scientific as this boards vaunted "eye test" but they do spend a lot of time reviewing each play in the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

BB is not telling Browner he is playing S when he signs. Of course he is gonna wait until camp. Atrell Hawkins came here to play CB and was thrust into the S role and did very well w/no prior experience.

When BB converted Tebucky Jones into a S, he had been playing CB the whole time under Pete Carrol. He didnt seem to have a problem. With SS, its just a matter of IF you want to hit and weve seen some big hits from Browner so to me its Gonna Happen, just a matter of When. Whatever BB has to do to get the best guys on the field together, he is gonna do it. So S, Roving LB in subs, etc. Whatever he wants to do, he will. Remember he had Talib covering everyone from WR, TE to FB, so like in the case vs Miami, he covered Clay and Arrington got abused by Wallace. Now if they wanna put Revis on Anyone, they can use Browner for traditional CB, but mostly I think he plays S in some role. Its a no brainer. OR he Moves to CB once Revis leaves next year or.......      lots of options.

Sections
Shortcuts