Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/09/jerry-rice-randy-mosss-laziness-was-hard-for-me-to-swallow/

Jerry Rice is widely regarded as the best wide receiver ever to play the game, but he says he wasn’t the most talented. Randy Moss, Rice says, was more talented.

On ESPN Radio this morning, Rice said he always had a hard time watching Moss because Rice hated to see a player so naturally gifted not making the most of those gifts.

“It was hard for me to swallow because I was not as talented and I had to work harder,” Rice said. “To see a guy with that much talent not give it 100 percent, it was almost like a little slap in the face. But Randy was Randy.”

Rice said he wonders what kind of player Moss would have been with a better work ethic.

“He could have been one of the greatest if he had worked just a little bit harder,” Rice said. “I don’t think he wanted to give it 100 percent. You never knew what you were going to get with Randy. Sometimes you’d get the unbelievable guy, the amazing guy. Other times you’d get the guy that took a couple plays off.”

In Rice’s view, the unbelievable, amazing guy didn’t show up to work often enough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow

In Response to Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/09/jerry-rice-randy-mosss-laziness-was-hard-for-me-to-swallow/ Jerry Rice is widely regarded as the best wide receiver ever to play the game, but he says he wasn’t the most talented. Randy Moss, Rice says, was more talented. On ESPN Radio this morning, Rice said he always had a hard time watching Moss because Rice hated to see a player so naturally gifted not making the most of those gifts. “It was hard for me to swallow because I was not as talented and I had to work harder,” Rice said. “To see a guy with that much talent not give it 100 percent, it was almost like a little slap in the face. But Randy was Randy.” Rice said he wonders what kind of player Moss would have been with a better work ethic. “He could have been one of the greatest if he had worked just a little bit harder,” Rice said. “I don’t think he wanted to give it 100 percent. You never knew what you were going to get with Randy. Sometimes you’d get the unbelievable guy, the amazing guy. Other times you’d get the guy that took a couple plays off.” In Rice’s view, the unbelievable, amazing guy didn’t show up to work often enough.
    Posted by Hoier

Great post

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I hope it doesn't hurt his hall chances -- or make him wait for it. Regardless of whether he was lazy, or he took plays off, he was the most physically gifted deep threat ever.

Babe Ruth was a lazy, drunken son-of-a-bitch, who likely didn't try 100% all the time, but he was good enough to not try and still be the best hitter.

There has to be a place of recognition for 'the natural' in the HOF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I respect Jerry and he is one my fav's as far as recievers, but I think he may be a little out of line.  We all know Randy may have not gone 100 percent at times if the ball wasnt coming to him, but how can you judge a anothers mans effort? esp. when never played with the man. I dont he was in oakland at the same time and thats a bad place to judge someone anyway in oakland where everybody was loafing.

While here his 1st 3 years in N.E. I saw a player going hard and helping us score a lot of points...everything is in his attitude, so I think its off base, but its Jerry so he must be right in everyones eyes....  get over it Jerry, You are the best and you worked for it..what else do you want?  let Moss lay in the bed he made!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow:
    I respect Jerry and he is one my fav's as far as recievers, but I think he may be a little out of line.  We all know Randy may have not gone 100 percent at times if the ball wasnt coming to him, but how can you judge a anothers mans effort? esp. when never played with the man. I dont he was in oakland at the same time and thats a bad place to judge someone anyway in oakland where everybody was loafing. While here his 1st 3 years in N.E. I saw a player going hard and helping us score a lot of points...everything is in his attitude, so I think its off base, but its Jerry so he must be right in everyones eyes....  get over it Jerry, You are the best and you worked for it..what else do you want?  let Moss lay in the bed he made!
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Uhhh.... seems to me that Moss himself (or, using today's athlete's vernacular: "hisself") publically claimed AND professed that he took plays off. He never went out of his way to actually block downfield, as we know the word "block". He's lucky to have simply stood in the way of a defender if he felt up to it. HOF? His numbers say Yes. However, it the writers who have the say. Same as it's the writes that grant titles like: MVP, ROY's, etc. We fans don't need to be convinced by his numbers that he deserves the HOF. However, if I was a writer, I'd second guess putting him in on  the first ballot. Explian that to a kid about how it doesn't matter "dogging" it on the field AND getting well compensated for it. Good luck on that one and then expecting the kid to perform some tasks around the home and school, let alone on whate ver ball field of his chosing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow:
    I hope it doesn't hurt his hall chances -- or make him wait for it. Regardless of whether he was lazy, or he took plays off, he was the most physically gifted deep threat ever. Babe Ruth was a lazy, drunken son-of-a-bitch, who likely didn't try 100% all the time, but he was good enough to not try and still be the best hitter. There has to be a place of recognition for 'the natural' in the HOF.
    Posted by zbellino

I thought the last teammate of The Babe died a few years ago! Welcome back!
    Please provide prrof of his "laziness", if you can. Sorery, but things like: "I read once", or "I heard a writer once say.." don't qualify. Afrer all, EVERYONE has a friend.. who's a brother of a cousin's uncle's nephew, who knew a guy on his street's sister's father, who had a grandfather that knew a newspaper vendor.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Az, you are taking it way too far, the average armchair fan would never notice that Moss was doggin it, and Yes he is a hgall of famer.  Look at the guys in there from way back, when guys were smoking cigarettes on the sidelines!

Gimme a break....We have a handful of recievers in the league who actually block...like the Hines Wards of the league and he gets high praise for it! Why?  because not many other WR's block...stop singling out Moss. Simply put Rice is jealous, and he shouldnt be....needs to mind his bizness, IMO

Did you see him doggin it here for the 1st 3 years!???

So what he said he plays when he wants...he really only tanked out in Oakland where everyone does, bnut had no problem eating us up in 05 in the opener, so No, i dont see it. Its all Randy Moss hate....if you factor in all other WR's, he is no different but because it comes easy, everyone assumes he is slacking if he doesnt produce...the guy is old, plain n simple, but his first 5 years in the league , go look at the #'s and tell me if thats a slacker

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

This is news? How is this debatable. Moss was pretty much the most talented WR ever or on a very short list and and still was one of the best ever without reaching his full potential consistently.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

jay the point is  he did slack and admits it  and the average fan did see it,his numbers were great but if he didnt slack and work hard all the time his numbers would be 10 times better ,thats all thats being said its not about hating on Moss just the plain in simple true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I love Jerry Rice as much as anybody and Acknowledge him as possibly the G.O.A.T. but this is really kind of a backhanded way of saying. NA-NA, I'm better than you Moss. If he wants to make a comparison he shouldn't make it with Himself as I think it just comes off as a little Tacky. We all know what Moss' weaknesses are and that Rice didn't have any. I think everyone should let Randy retire in peace. He's taken enough of a beating over the years and I'm at the point where I almost feel sorry for the guy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Right, I understand Lippa, I just think Azpat being an older guy took it too far. Do we know if M.J. was going all out when he was winning ring after ring?

the fact is, YEs, he said it! does it mean he half a-ssed his way thru the league?

How can you put up numbers ten times better then he did?  Do you realize he had 1400 yards recieveing 4 years...do you realize he is a deep threat and 70% of the time he is asked to go full speed 60 yards down the field and hope the Qb hits you, and if not you have to run 60 yards back to the huddle and do it again, while evryone catches their breath.  He had some teams  he played on where his qb couldnt throw a rock in the ocean, you DaMM! right he took some plays off...why keep running full speed down the field every play with a shyt qb, hell even Tommy missed him numerous times on deep throws....Have you ever played the WR position before??  thats all I am pointing out...he is a different animal, and deserved to take plays off, and so far as blocking , What did Deion Sanders say when asked why he never tackled????   He said " They didnt pay me to tackle"  I think Moss could do the same if asked about blocking.  How are Moss and Deion any different in this scenario??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The whole Randy Moss situattion is crazy.  He kinda didn't work out toward the end; Ocho is here.  Now, the most talented WR (per Jerry Rice) is sitting on the sidelines..wishing he were a Patriot. Isn't that where we are?

So, if Branch or Ocho go down, does BB make the call (to Moss)?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

I woulld tell you deion is wrong and so is moss great players and all ,but when your making millions to play a sport that the fans pay for every player  not just them 2 should go all out on every play.Thats my oppion and stand by it.Moss will get in the HOF  no doubt but being said it could hold him up abit and not get in on 1st ballot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Right, I understand Lippa, I just think Azpat being an older guy took it too far. Do we know if M.J. was going all out when he was winning ring after ring? the fact is, YEs, he said it! does it mean he half a-ssed his way thru the league? How can you put up numbers ten times better then he did?  Do you realize he had 1400 yards recieveing 4 years...do you realize he is a deep threat and 70% of the time he is asked to go full speed 60 yards down the field and hope the Qb hits you, and if not you have to run 60 yards back to the huddle and do it again, while evryone catches their breath.  He had some teams  he played on where his qb couldnt throw a rock in the ocean, you DaMM! right he took some plays off...why keep running full speed down the field every play with a shyt qb, hell even Tommy missed him numerous times on deep throws....Have you ever played the WR position before??  thats all I am pointing out...he is a different animal, and deserved to take plays off, and so far as blocking , What did Deion Sanders say when asked why he never tackled????   He said " They didnt pay me to tackle"  I think Moss could do the same if asked about blocking.  How are Moss and Deion any different in this scenario??
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Good comparison Jay- These guys are very similar from Football-Persona standpoint just on opposite sides of the ball and Deion is a celebrated HOFer now. Even if his Bronze statue doen't look anything like him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Sorry Lippa, but Moss and Deion will be in the Hall together while you complain about one comment that was taken out of context.  I dont think you guys realize how much gets put out there in this social media world of internet , twitter, etc
    '

Alot of ol' school hall of famers that  this game were built on had questionable character, work ethics, etc, but you never heard about it, thats why I think people are blowing it out of proportion, but you have your opinion. BTW, you never answered if you played WR before ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Face it Jay. Moss had more talent then Jerry and wasn't nearly as productive or have the longevity. Rice was putting up 1100+ yard season in his 17th and 18th seasons. Moss was a great reciever but it's laughable your trying to defend him like he played hard all the time. I could find triple articles or quotes from players and NFL personal for every 1 you find of people saying Moss played hard all the time. You'll find zero articles stating he reached his potential that's for sure because it's not debatable. He didn't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

“He could have been one of the greatest"?

Hate to break it to you Jerry, but Moss is without question one of the greatest and quite possibly better than you. What is this "could have been" BS?

The less Jerry Rice speaks, the better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Missing the point still tompenny.....He is going to the hall or not...  Do you have to somewhat ummm good to get there?  Have you played Wr before?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

“He could have been one of the greatest"? Hate to break it to you Jerry, but Moss is without question one of the greatest and quite possibly better than you. What is this "could have been" BS? The less Jerry Rice speaks, the better.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Joke post?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

No i didnt play wr ,dont know what that has to do with anything,and I didnt say he wouldnt be in the HOF said it might hold him up from getting in on first ballot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Missing the point still tompenny.....He is going to the hall or not...  Do you have to somewhat ummm good to get there?  Have you played Wr before?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

What's this have to do with Moss not playing to his potential? Is that the only lame retort you have. This isn't about him being in the Hall of fame. It's about him not reaching his potential and playing hard all the time. He didin't Period.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

Jerry has said as much before and he always comes off bitter imo. First off i wish most would do some homework here. The whole " i play when i want to play " argument is complete BS. It doesn't take a doctor to figure out there's something going on upstairs with him , along with millions of other Americans i might ad. Moss reacted , to people saying that he only played when CC wanted him to play. Moss really did look up to CC in the beginning of his career. Many people would give him chit for it and he reacted by saying " i play when i want to play ". Essentially that's where this all stems from. Everybody in the league knows guys like Moss , Marshall , T.O have some issues. Its about as much of a secret as half the league is addicted to some sort of pain killer or narcotic. It really seems cheap and bitter to me. I really wish someone in the media would ask Jerry how he would have done with guys like Culpepper , an unretired Cunningham , Collins and  Cassel throwing to him for most of his career? Instead of HOF's like Montana and Young. Or how would Randy's Vikings have done if they had Roger Craig instead of Robert Smith? What if Minne. had some of the best defenses of the 80's instead of the swiss cheese D Randy played with. Of coarse nobody will because 90% of people in the media are pure putrid garbage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

If Moss doesn't get in the HOF the first try, the system is broke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

@ lippa, it has alot to do with it, if you are going to criticize a H.O.F receiver.

@ Tompenny, I dont have to prove anything for Moss, this thread is about Jerys comments  and how much of a joke they are and how much of a hater he is.

How can someone say how high a ceiling one man has?  Well because Mr. Rice played his whole career with 2 h.o.f qb's and another at the end of his career in Gannon who actually played his best football late and was an MVP candidate and one of the most accurate passers in NFL history.

Besides Brady, who was Moss playing with?  Cunningham at the end of his career, Culpepper who was out of football after Randy left, and a host of characters in Oakland led by the best of the bunch, MR.Kerry Collins, and Rice expects him to reach his potential like he did, what a joke.

When Moss had a H.O.F qb in Brady who doenst even throw the deep ball well, he tore it up for 3 years and made Jerry's TD #'s look paltry....give it a rest. Jerry is envious of his athletisicm, if he said he did it the hard way, then good for him, they say you appreciate it more, so why doesnt he shut up and enjoy his memories...?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

@ lippa, it has alot to do with it, if you are going to criticize a H.O.F receiver. @ Tompenny, I dont have to prove anything for Moss, this thread is about Jerys comments  and how much of a joke they are and how much of a hater he is. How can someone say how high a ceiling one man has?  Well because Mr. Rice played his whole career with 2 h.o.f qb's and another at the end of his career in Gannon who actually played his best football late and was an MVP candidate and one of the most accurate passers in NFL history. Besides Brady, who was Moss playing with?  Cunningham at the end of his career, Culpepper who was out of football after Randy left, and a host of characters in Oakland led by the best of the bunch, MR.Kerry Collins, and Rice expects him to reach his potential like he did, what a joke. When Moss had a H.O.F qb in Brady who doenst even throw the deep ball well, he tore it up for 3 years and made Jerry's TD #'s look paltry....give it a rest. Jerry is envious of his athletisicm, if he said he did it the hard way, then good for him, they say you appreciate it more, so why doesnt he shut up and enjoy his memories...?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Just because Jerry Rice thinks a player did not play hard does not make him a hater. You are not in his head and you do not know what he thinks. You certainly do have a right to criticize him however.

Sections
Shortcuts