Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow

Im watching the interview now and its really just a cheap shot. They had Rice on the phone for about 2 seconds before ... " Ok lets get to the matter at hand " ... LMF AO What matter at hand? Randy Moss retired so we have to have Jerry on to make himself feel better. This is why people cant stand to watch this dogchit station. And it seems every time i see Rice on TV he's acting like a complete as shole , taking a shot at someone else. Iv never seen him add any real insight to any discussion. Seeing the way some people slurp him it just makes me sick. Every time the media talk about its "Hes the greatest player of all time" , "He's hands down the best WR of all time". None have the balls to make a counter argument and there is some to be made. One could argue he's not even the best player of his generation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

He is a hater, and I love him as a player, but as a person, I wouldnt give him any humanatarian awards , lets just say that.....its a common thing,...same way M.J. is the best of B-ball, but he is an A ss Hole!   OR iSIAH thOMAS...i COULD GO ON, BUT ATLEAST MOSS KEPT IT REAL AND HE ISNT A HATER

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow:
    I respect Jerry and he is one my fav's as far as recievers, but I think he may be a little out of line.  We all know Randy may have not gone 100 percent at times if the ball wasnt coming to him, but how can you judge a anothers mans effort? esp. when never played with the man. I dont he was in oakland at the same time and thats a bad place to judge someone anyway in oakland where everybody was loafing. While here his 1st 3 years in N.E. I saw a player going hard and helping us score a lot of points...everything is in his attitude, so I think its off base, but its Jerry so he must be right in everyones eyes....  get over it Jerry, You are the best and you worked for it..what else do you want?  let Moss lay in the bed he made!
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Do you really beleive a scout or coach has no idea of what sort of effort a player they watch on film is giving out? So why would a player not be able to make a judgement?

I will grant you that things like injuries are especially hard for anyone to gauge except for the player themself. But whether a player is doing their job on the field? Come on. Really?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow:
    In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow : Do you really beleive a scout or coach has no idea of what sort of effort a player they watch on film is giving out? So why would a player not be able to make a judgement? I will grant you that things like injuries are especially hard for anyone to gauge except for the player themself. But whether a player is doing their job on the field? Come on. Really?
    Posted by portfolio1

It's part of Moss' game to be perceived as taking plays off.  He has never done a thing to dispel that perception because he wants the other guy to believe that. It's actually rather smart of him.  It's not the best PR approach with unknowing  fans who  have their trite little simplistic notions, but if it benefits him on the field I suspect he could care less.

He has no moves and he doesn't run routes well. He can jump, make circus catches and is very fast. Making the other guy think he is dogging it and then springing his trap to use his world class skills to hit the homerun is his tactic. But, think what you want along with the rest of the cliche'd analysts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Az, you are taking it way too far, the average armchair fan would never notice that Moss was doggin it, and Yes he is a hgall of famer.  Look at the guys in there from way back, when guys were smoking cigarettes on the sidelines! Gimme a break....We have a handful of recievers in the league who actually block...like the Hines Wards of the league and he gets high praise for it! Why?  because not many other WR's block...stop singling out Moss. Simply put Rice is jealous, and he shouldnt be....needs to mind his bizness, IMO Did you see him doggin it here for the 1st 3 years!??? So what he said he plays when he wants...he really only tanked out in Oakland where everyone does, bnut had no problem eating us up in 05 in the opener, so No, i dont see it. Its all Randy Moss hate....if you factor in all other WR's, he is no different but because it comes easy, everyone assumes he is slacking if he doesnt produce...the guy is old, plain n simple, but his first 5 years in the league , go look at the #'s and tell me if thats a slacker
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Moss came out proudly with his godding it while he was in Minnesota. NO ONE wanted to be in Oakland, but that still doesn't give him the pass. In NE? Sure, he made some great plays. I also recall some time when he non-chalantly dropped a pass, developed T Rex arms going across the middle, giving up on an INT when it was clear he could have either knocked the bal loose and/or CAUGHT the interceptor. And, don't get me going on the number of times a play came his way and he did little more than try to get in teh way aof the defender. I wonder how many points those "efforts" caused few or no points for the Pats. Having numbers doesn't automativcally get him the automatic kitchen pass on such things as the HOF.

Don't compare him to "old timers". The game has changed signicantly, starting with Mosshas played a 16 game schedule since coming into the league. Old timers? How about 12. Today's game is mostly geared to QB's and big offensive nimbers. If a RB gets 1000 yds today, and has an avg less than 80 YPG, he's great, ONLY because the QB is throwing more (ie: rationale is that if he got the ball more, his stats would most assuredly be higher.). Why was Jim Brown considered the best RB of all time? Was it because he was so big and hard to bring down? Ya think avg more than 100 YPG year in and year out for 12 games had anything to do with it? Smoking cigs "long ago" has nothing to do with anything.

What comes easy? Great playes over smaller DB's, or proudly exclaiming that he takes plays off? Which way do you want it? If anyong on this board recalls, I was against the Pats trading for him. Sure, he had a tremendous 2007. But, at teh time, I also said that I sincerely hoped he'd stay on this path, and not revert. I even joked saying that my Mom once said that a tiger never changes his stripes, and the best comeback morons had was that I should know that tigers don't have spots. Duh! Well, he reverted, calling out BB AFTER an early game in 2010, and was sent packing. Tell me this: If he was so "HOF-ish", please explain 3 teams in 1 year, and NO invite/offer for 2011?  I think the NFl has it better than you: he's reverted. No one wants to pay as much as he thinks he's worth for an aging, attitudinally challenged WR.  (Explains T.O. too.) 

If you didn't understand my earlier post, I said he has nu,ber for the HOF. Thank God it's up to folks that cover the game, and HOF players to do the voting.

Rice being "jealous"? You've GOT to be kidding, right? Rice is the #1 WR of all time, and was voted the greatest NFL'er of all time. If you took the time to read exactly what he said about Moss, it's how he was disappointed that a guy with sooo much talent pizzed it all away. Imagine how good his stats would be if he DIDN'T dog it occaisionally? If a relative/close of yours had a tremendous up-side for anything, and yet didn't go out to make it happen, would you be disappointed? We all know differently if you say "no".

I don't hate Moss. Could he still be playing now for less money? Methinkls yes, witht eh Pats apprently making an offer. Yet, Moss turned them down, just about claiming that he was insulted. 3 Teams in 1 year, including being traded by NE for MORE than they originally traded to get him, is NOT a good thing.  Time to let teh proper folks pass judgement on his body of work, not fans of his in their Moss PJ's, holding their beloved and cherished Moss action figure. He came, he did well, he burned his bridges.... again.... just look at his "production" for the last places he played before being traded.

Nuff said.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I love Jerry Rice as much as anybody and Acknowledge him as possibly the G.O.A.T. but this is really kind of a backhanded way of saying. NA-NA, I'm better than you Moss. If he wants to make a comparison he shouldn't make it with Himself as I think it just comes off as a little Tacky. We all know what Moss' weaknesses are and that Rice didn't have any. I think everyone should let Randy retire in peace. He's taken enough of a beating over the years and I'm at the point where I almost feel sorry for the guy.
    Posted by Rerun85

Really?? Now, please explain just when and under what circumstances Rice made his statement. PLEASE! Has he ben out there for a long time being vocal about his observances? No. He was asked a pointed question AFTER Moss allegedly said he's retiring (funny how the NFL has yet to receive his retirement papers yet, right?). He said what he felt, which point you apprenetly have missed too. Do you think a rookie WR, or a 2-3 year WRwould have ashonest and accurate assessment as Rice?  With all this "talent", Moss didn't play it hard 100% of the time on the field. Would you accept this as an excuse for Brady? How about the MLB? A RB? How about a safety who came up for a tackle and got blocked? Yet, you'll give Moss the "pass". 

Rice's numbers PROVE he was better than Moss. Moss and TO are his contemporaries, and it's well served that we find out his feelings about them, now that it's apparent both of their careers have reached an end. Rice said that his successes came about by pushing himself to make himself a better ball player and person (sorry, but Moss isn't going to win any humanitarian awards none too soo). Moss had all the talent but no head to process how to use it.

I, too, hope Moss goes quietly into the night, and gets those retirement papers filed yesterday. He can have a huge retirement party with TO You're absolutely right: Randy, just take your sulking old self and go away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE Moss is without question one of the greatest and quite possibly better than you. Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

In the same way, I suppose that The Babe (no not that Babe - I mean Babe Parilli) quite possibly was better than Tom Brady.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Doesn't surprise me about what Rice says.  He has his opinion and if thats the way he feels then so be it. 

I have met Rice, seen him around many of his fans and he is a pretty big jerk.  take that for what it's worth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Jerry is Jealous - Jerry is Jealous

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Right, I understand Lippa, I just think Azpat being an older guy took it too far. Do we know if M.J. was going all out when he was winning ring after ring? the fact is, YEs, he said it! does it mean he half a-ssed his way thru the league? How can you put up numbers ten times better then he did?  Do you realize he had 1400 yards recieveing 4 years...do you realize he is a deep threat and 70% of the time he is asked to go full speed 60 yards down the field and hope the Qb hits you, and if not you have to run 60 yards back to the huddle and do it again, while evryone catches their breath.  He had some teams  he played on where his qb couldnt throw a rock in the ocean, you DaMM! right he took some plays off...why keep running full speed down the field every play with a shyt qb, hell even Tommy missed him numerous times on deep throws....Have you ever played the WR position before??  thats all I am pointing out...he is a different animal, and deserved to take plays off, and so far as blocking , What did Deion Sanders say when asked why he never tackled????   He said " They didnt pay me to tackle"  I think Moss could do the same if asked about blocking.  How are Moss and Deion any different in this scenario??
    Posted by JayShizzle45

This is funny stuff!!!!

Running 60 yards down the field and have to return to teh huddle? Funny, why not wave off going back in and just go to your sideline to catch your breath?
    We see RB's do it all the time. What was he trying to prove? If he'd "tired", leave the game. Don't stay in there to take a play off.

Stop excusing his behavior!!!! As for his QB's..... funny how the year before he got "bad" (on field and attitudinally) look at his production fall off. In Oakland, he took plays off. When the called play blew up, and teh QB had to look for secondary and tertiary receivers, there was Moss... lolligagging around, being of NO benefit to his team or anyone. In fact, I was at the Raid-uhs/Chargers MNF game (their first game of the 2006 season), played in The Black Hole, sitting with two avowed Raid-uh fans. Int eh first freaking half, Moss: 1) dropped a ball  2) ran out of bounds 15 yards away from a safety coming up to make the tackle (didn't pick up the first down as a result)  3) while in a standing still position after running his route, made no effort to come back to an underthrown ball  and, my favorite  4) watched a defender step in front of him for an INT,a nd watched him cruise teh sidelines for a TD...  Moss NEVER RAN AFTER HIM, or madee any effort to do so. The Raid-uhs fans were beside themselvs. That is NOT Raid-uh football, nor is it anything akin to NFL football.

So, retire his number, invite him to your personal HOF dinner, put together a bust of him, and enshrine him in your own HOF. Me? I take the words and opinions of the greatest player in NFL history as being more credible than your professed excuses for him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

To add to my comment above. 

I gotta say Rice was the best to ever play that position.  100% dedication all the time.  I think it would be a slap in the face to take the game as serious as Rice did and give it his all and then have Moss always being compared to him.  Rice was a true pro, he didn't have the same gifts or ability Moss had so Rice had to work harder for what he got.  When you are the GOAT and did all that Rice did you have the right to say what you think.  Theres no doubt Randy quit on plays and at times didn't give his all.  Maybe Rice knows that Moss could have done so much more if he would have had a different attitude about the game thus making these comments.

Whatever the case may be, Moss deserve to be in the HOF on his first vote, and he is the 2nd best receiver of all time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow : It's part of Moss' game to be perceived as taking plays off. 
    Posted by BabeParilli

I watched Randy when he was in Oakland, he had some good moments there but he gave up on the Raiders and he didn't play hard for them.  I know he didn't have a great team around him but that's besides the point.  You still play your best ball regardless of who you play for.  Randy didn't do that.

I will always be a Moss fan but I will admit he had some faults.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Babe Ruth would show up to games hungover or drunk. He would jog it out to first. The dude got himself sick once and missed time from binging on hotdogs.

I mean, this is standard knowledge about the guy.

If he had put more time and effort he could have been even better as a hitter.

I shouldn't even have to cite this stuff ... it's common knowledge dude. At least to anyone that knows a jot about baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The Babe Ruth stuff is pretty much documented by baseball historians, teammates, players, announcers, journalists, etc....  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Gee Jerry I think that is old news

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow : Really?? Now, please explain just when and under what circumstances Rice made his statement. PLEASE! Has he ben out there for a long time being vocal about his observances? No. He was asked a pointed question AFTER Moss allegedly said he's retiring (funny how the NFL has yet to receive his retirement papers yet, right?). He said what he felt, which point you apprenetly have missed too. Do you think a rookie WR, or a 2-3 year WRwould have ashonest and accurate assessment as Rice?  With all this "talent", Moss didn't play it hard 100% of the time on the field. Would you accept this as an excuse for Brady? How about the MLB? A RB? How about a safety who came up for a tackle and got blocked? Yet, you'll give Moss the "pass".  Rice's numbers PROVE he was better than Moss. Moss and TO are his contemporaries, and it's well served that we find out his feelings about them, now that it's apparent both of their careers have reached an end. Rice said that his successes came about by pushing himself to make himself a better ball player and person (sorry, but Moss isn't going to win any humanitarian awards none too soo). Moss had all the talent but no head to process how to use it. I, too, hope Moss goes quietly into the night, and gets those retirement papers filed yesterday. He can have a huge retirement party with TO You're absolutely right: Randy, just take your sulking old self and go away.
    Posted by AZPAT

Not sure if you know this , but Moss averages more yards and TD's per game and didn't have the luxury of playing with HOF's and both sides of the ball. Its ok it only took me a minute to look it up. And for the last 9 years of his career failed to put up double digit TD's ONCE. Talk about hanging on to pad your stats. Jerry Rice played most of his career with two of the best QB's ever. Not to mention Roger Craig , Taylor , Clark and Rathman. Along with some of the best defense's of the 80's and 90's. Not acknowledging this is just foolish. Again do you really believe Rice puts these numbers and rings without playing on ALL STAR teams? Rice does not put up those numbers catching balls from an unretired Cunningham , Culpepper , Collins or Cassel. Again do your homework and you would know that the "i play when i want to play" argument is complete BS. And btw saying that Rice didn't take plays off is another joke. Every single time he went up against Prime the guy took plays. Rice acted like a complete tool in practice when Sanders would get physical with him. With all due respect you sound like someone who watches ESPN all day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

*Per Year* I meant to say.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

LIFE CAN BE SO TWISTED SOMETIMES. STARTED the thread about bo jackson. here's a guy who give it his all on and off the field yet a freakish injury made him  a sidenote to history and true glory. deio on the other hand  made it thru. randy is one of the greatest, regardless of what rice says. he's #2 behind mr. rice. tell u allu need to know about moss! had he actually tried like jerry, no doubt moss would be considered one of the 5 greatest players of any team sport or sport in general. 

he would be right up there with jordan, ali, montana, brady, ruth and paul pierce! jordan is the truly ubique perfect blend of freakish gifts combined with a freakish work ethic. then again,has he not been cut early in his life, would we have seen it? i say NO. anyone thinks moss ever faced or had to overcome any adversity? first time was last season and he quit. moss was the ultimate frontrunner, never a grinder! the lebron james of football!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

LIFE CAN BE SO TWISTED SOMETIMES. STARTED the thread about bo jackson. here's a guy who give it his all on and off the field yet a freakish injury made him  a sidenote to history and true glory. deio on the other hand  made it thru. randy is one of the greatest, regardless of what rice says. he's #2 behind mr. rice. tell u allu need to know about moss! had he actually tried like jerry, no doubt moss would be considered one of the 5 greatest players of any team sport or sport in general.  he would be right up there with jordan, ali, montana, brady, ruth and paul pierce! jordan is the truly ubique perfect blend of freakish gifts combined with a freakish work ethic. then again,has he not been cut early in his life, would we have seen it? i say NO. anyone thinks moss ever faced or had to overcome any adversity? first time was last season and he quit. moss was the ultimate frontrunner, never a grinder! the lebron james of football!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Nicely put.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3aec84ca56-bd7f-448c-8c89-96529ab8bc4f&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:ec84ca56-bd7f-448c-8c89-96529ab8bc4fPost:f6bd9396-84a7-49f1-a9b8-f5f7e9971aa2">Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow:
    I love Jerry Rice as much as anybody and Acknowledge him as possibly the G.O.A.T. but this is really kind of a backhanded way of saying. NA-NA, I'm better than you Moss. If he wants to make a comparison he shouldn't make it with Himself as I think it just comes off as a little Tacky. We all know what Moss' weaknesses are and that Rice didn't have any. I think everyone should let Randy retire in peace. He's taken enough of a beating over the years and I'm at the point where I almost feel sorry for the guy.
    Posted by Rerun85

You got it right. Rice is being immature and backbiting in his comments. It shows a certain jealousy that makes me doubt his own qualifications. And as everyone has pointed out Rice was never stuck in NFL Hell (Oakland).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

*Per Year* I meant to say.
    Posted by startrightnow

Very shocking considering Rice played..I dunno 6 more full seasons and 1 year he played only 2 games. That tends to bring down your per year averages. Since normal players decline when they get older altough Rice was banging out 1100+ yards in year 17 and 18. Moss didn't even crack 400 yards last season in his 12th. The best of the best have longevity and don't quit because they want long term deals. 

Lets make it simple. There is no need to discuss playoff stats. He has all important records in the playoffs too.

receptions  TD's   receiving yards  all purpose yards. Rice #1 in all of them

Rice   1,549       197      22,895                23,546
    Moss     954      153       14,858                15,212

Moss was only 595 receptions 44 TD's 8037 rec yard and 8334 all purpose yards behind him...plus SB's playoff record etc...

There is no comparison. You can't just add years and claim he would match Rice either. Longevity is part of the of being great too. You think Moss could put up a 1200 yard 90+ catch season at 40 years old like Rice. That would be in season like 2017. C'mon son.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

You would think Rice said something that had never been said before about Moss. You don't get a reputation like that out of the blue. This will get a few days of banter, but wheres Randy in all this? Why doesn't he come out and say something in his defense? 

I will say "not give it 100%" was the actual quote nowhere did he say the word "lazy" he sounded like he was speaking to work ethics, like being late for a team meeting would also fall into that category (being late for any job is not a good thing), the false quote comes across as a loaded character attack.

Rice did sum things up well: "Randy is Randy", he sure was and it's all in the books now.

To me that day was the best. Moss actually looked like he was having fun mugging for the fans. Go in as a Patriot Randy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I hope it doesn't hurt his hall chances -- or make him wait for it. Regardless of whether he was lazy, or he took plays off, he was the most physically gifted deep threat ever. Babe Ruth was a lazy, drunken son-of-a-bitch, who likely didn't try 100% all the time, but he was good enough to not try and still be the best hitter. There has to be a place of recognition for 'the natural' in the HOF.
    Posted by zbellino

YES!

And Champ Bailey, one of the greatest cornerbacks of all time, disagrees:

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow : Very shocking considering Rice played..I dunno 6 more full seasons and 1 year he played only 2 games. That tends to bring down your per year averages. Since normal players decline when they get older altough Rice was banging out 1100+ yards in year 17 and 18. Moss didn't even crack 400 yards last season in his 12th. The best of the best have longevity and don't quit because they want long term deals.  Lets make it simple. There is no need to discuss playoff stats. He has all important records in the playoffs too.         receptions  TD's   receiving yards  all purpose yards. Rice #1 in all of them Rice   1,549       197      22,895                23,546 Moss     954      153       14,858                15,212 Moss was only 595 receptions 44 TD's 8037 rec yard and 8334 all purpose yards behind him...plus SB's playoff record etc... There is no comparison. You can't just add years and claim he would match Rice either. Longevity is part of the of being great too. You think Moss could put up a 1200 yard 90+ catch season at 40 years old like Rice. That would be in season like 2017. C'mon son.
    Posted by tompenny

I wish i could type slower so you would understand , its really not that hard. I never added any years or anything like that. Its a fact not my opinion , Moss averages more yards and TDs per year than Rice. People like you completely ignore the fact that he played on ALL STAR teams for the better part of his career. Again thats not opinion , its fact. Rice played on some of the most talented teams ever. LOL Jerry Rice caught 93 TD's in his first seven seasons with Montana and Young throwing him the ball. Moss caught 90 with guys like Culpepper , George and Cunningham. Jerry Rice is an amazing WR , but always reminded me of the kid who was born in success. And btw anytime you use the " son " in a sentence and your not referring to the actual planet , it just makes you sound like a fool.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

I hope it doesn't hurt his hall chances -- or make him wait for it. Regardless of whether he was lazy, or he took plays off, he was the most physically gifted deep threat ever. 

Babe Ruth was a lazy, drunken son-of-a-bitch, who likely didn't try 100% all the time, but he was good enough to not try and still be the best hitter.
    No i didnt play wr ,dont know what that has to do with anything,and I didnt say he wouldnt be in the HOF said it might hold him up from getting in on first ballot.
    Missing the point still tompenny.....He is going to the hall or not...  Do you have to somewhat ummm good to get there?  Have you played Wr before?
    Hate to break it to you Jerry, but Moss is without question one of the greatest and quite possibly better than you. What is this "could have been" BS?

Sections
Shortcuts