Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow

Jerry is right I think, but who cares?  He is paid to make statements now, and he chose to make this one because he felt he had the right to.  He does, but it comes off more like sour grapes than that he truly cared.  Randy in Minnesota was nearly worth the HOF vote alone.  Randy adding most TD receptions in a season?  All those yards?  Over the top.  I did not like him much, but just watch his highlight tape and he gets in.  He got Daunte Culpepper paid just by convincing the world (along with Chris Carter) that the guy actually was a quarterback.  That melted pretty quick after they seperated.  Meanwhile Randy puts in a pretty decent body of work in NE.  And doesn't even attempt to run over traffic cops.  I am pretty sure he thought his "sign me or trade me" stunt was going to work, and is still a bit stunned he isn't in NE playing.  He toed the line, and actually did some blocking.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Seems to me like Rice is kicking him while he's down. For a union brother anyway. The guy retired so far. Celibrate his good things he did. I think Moss is living proof what happens to a person from not so well means getting piles of cash dumped in his pockets at an early age.

If you filled my pockets when I was 21 or 22 my parents would have a nice house but I'd probably be living under a bridge now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow : Very shocking considering Rice played..I dunno 6 more full seasons and 1 year he played only 2 games. That tends to bring down your per year averages. Since normal players decline when they get older altough Rice was banging out 1100+ yards in year 17 and 18. Moss didn't even crack 400 yards last season in his 12th. The best of the best have longevity and don't quit because they want long term deals.  Lets make it simple. There is no need to discuss playoff stats. He has all important records in the playoffs too.         receptions  TD's   receiving yards  all purpose yards. Rice #1 in all of them Rice   1,549       197      22,895                23,546 Moss     954      153       14,858                15,212 Moss was only 595 receptions 44 TD's 8037 rec yard and 8334 all purpose yards behind him...plus SB's playoff record etc... There is no comparison. You can't just add years and claim he would match Rice either. Longevity is part of the of being great too. You think Moss could put up a 1200 yard 90+ catch season at 40 years old like Rice. That would be in season like 2017. C'mon son.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

I'm not sayign Moss was better than Rice.

But longevity matters very little to me. I would never, ever in a million years say that Emmit Smith was better than Barry Sanders, or that Roger Clemens was better than Sandy Koufax. Or that Kevin Greene was a better pass rusher than LT. I mean, every single person on the offense knew where LT was at all times, and he was still an undeniable force. It just isn't true, and anyone that really watched them play knows it -- even if someone else kept themselves in better shape to get more playing time, or avoided serious injury.

The best, for me, is the person who during their prime years was the most effective at their position. 

I still think it was Jerry Rice, simply because he was the ultimate RAC weapon in the league. Moss could run deep routes better than anyone ever, but Jerry could take a four yarder 80 yards in the blink of an eye, and he could go deep as well.

But the fact that Rice played out his glory years and added stats doesn't convince me of that.... it was watching him play and how defenses would do everything in their power to contain him and still could not, that convinced me of that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

You don't have to run down one guy to say the other was better.  Rice was better.  Period.  That said, they are both HOFers.

I do separate the guys that partied hard the night before and were in no shape to give their best from the guys who showed up physically fit and sometimes mailed it in.  Ruth, Mantle, and even Larry Bird (when Robey was around) liked to go out to bars a lot.  How much better would Bird have been if he hadn't busted up his finger at Chelsea's?  In my view, the 1985 NBA title was lost that night in the bar.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Longevity isn't important? If that wasn't the case then there would be quadruple the hall of famers in every sport. That's just flat out laughable. You actually have to have a career to be the best in your sport. That's why there is a million flash in the pan player in every sport that are the next great thing that never make it. They start hot and fall off or they are injury prone or get a major injury. That is part of the deal. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Jerry Rice: Randy Moss’s laziness was hard for me to swallow:
    [QUOTE]You don't have to run down one guy to say the other was better.  Rice was better.  Period.  That said, they are both HOFers. I do separate the guys that partied hard the night before and were in no shape to give their best from the guys who showed up physically fit and sometimes mailed it in.  Ruth, Mantle, and even Larry Bird (when Robey was around) liked to go out to bars a lot.  How much better would Bird have been if he hadn't busted up his finger at Chelsea's?  In my view, the 1985 NBA title was lost that night in the bar.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

How is Bird even comparable? He has legendary work ethic and was a flat out gamer. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Longevity isn't important? If that wasn't the case then there would be quadruple the hall of famers in every sport. That's just flat out laughable. You actually have to have a career to be the best in your sport. That's why there is a million flash in the pan player in every sport that are the next great thing that never make it. They start hot and fall off or they are injury prone or get a major injury. That is part of the deal. 
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

That isn't laughable at all. Stop being so extreme dude. You pushed what I said to argumentum ad absurdum ... trying to discredit it, as if I said that anyone who once threw a nice pitch or had a great season should be the best.

I'm not saying one year wonder players get in the HOF. I'm not even sayin guys that were good for three years get in if they were great for three years. Although I would imagine that would be debatable for players like Terrell Davis.

What I am saying is that if one player plays twelve seasons, and another player plays eighteen, and the player who had the shorter career was better during his stretch, but the player who played longer topped his stats by hanging on and padding, then there is no question that the shorter career marks a better player.

Isaac Bruce has better career numbers than Torry Holt. Torry Holt was a far, far better WR.

Or better yet, just tell me who was better ... Barry Sanders or Emmit Smith?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

rICE SAID HE TOOK A COUPLE OF PLAYS OFF, AND SAID HE COULD HAVE BEEN ONE OF THE GREATEST.

This is the funny part.  Moss is the 2nd best WR behind him, so how do make a comment saying "he could have been one of the greatest"

Also, how many more yards would he have got w/out taking those plays off.?? He took them off because A.) the ball wasnt coming to him, or B.) he was blocking, so how does that make sense.  NO one is saying Moss didnt dog it at times, im saying Rice is jealous for pointing this out and not discussing his accomplishments. Why does he care, how is it a smack in his Face?? this is my problem...not what Moss did.  IF anything say he disrespected the game, but Why does he have to live up to What Rice' standards are?  sounds like Rice is full of himself and bitter. He needs to take that up w/ GOD for not giving him more speed. but this si sour grapes IMO, who cares what Randy did...Rice is acting like it cost him a H.O.F career or something...He was 2nd best to Rice playing with much less talent, nuff said and Rice is and always was an A hole!

Rice is B.Favre,  ME, mE , ME and more Me..."I will play forever to ensure my records stand"...thats pathetic, just like Emmit and Favre...

Playing here in N.E. under a great coach and Qb, he did amazing things, and in 3 years, he never missed a game, and was only taken off the field for a handful of plays in that 3 year span and he is a deep route runner...so call that dogging if you want, but none of you bums on here could accomplish that, THis I KNOW!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Hes completely correct.  Randy Moss is physically the most gifted WR to ever play the game of football.  He is definetly still a HOF member, for moss to be anything but a first ballot HOFer would be a football travesty.  Rice is correct though.  Moss was more gifted than anyone but his attitude ruined his chance to be the greatest ever and may even have cost him a super bowl at some point in his career. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Someone needs to tell Rice that not all NFL players have the same work ethic as he did. Moss certainly wasn't the first to mail it in on occasions and he won't be the last. Nor do most players want to spend 20 years in the league as Rice did in order to set all his records.