JET$ VS PAT$

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: JET$ VS PAT$

I think the uncapped 2010 and the uncertainty of 2011 and beyond has made several teams including the Patriots reluctant to enter into a lot of contracts just focusing on one or two of the more important players on any given team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Historically, Green New Jersey has been mediocre to bad with occasional flashes of brilliance. It is not an organization that can routinely be expected to compete at the league's highest level with any consistency, and this situation with Jones is a good example of why. I very much like your turn of phrase: "The Jets are making noise that they are ready to dethrone the Pats and contend for the SB . . . "   That is very well put, as that is exactly what Green New Jersey does -- it makes noise. Sound and fury, signifying nothing, as the man said. The NFL is a numbers game. It's not baseball. The salary cap is an actual limit that teams have to work around, and the harsh reality is that it doesn't appear to matter how well Jones has performed or represented the brand. Management doesn't want to shell the bonus and believe they can compete with an untested guy and a guy coming back from injury. That's the business. Every team does it. Beyond signing bonuses, NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on and that's why guys in contract years -- like Vince -- act the way they do. The difference between teams that stay at or near the top (the Pats) and teams that flash in the pan (Green New Jersey) is all about quality depth, and quality depth is all about cap management. The question isn't: Is Jones worth the bonus? He is. The question is: What is the value of the position? Jones will get paid somewhere. He knows that. And I also suspect that Green New Jersey knows its running game is going to take a hit. Whether or not they can absorb that hit remains to be seen.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

I wish I can agree with you about BB and the draft.  I can't compare him against the Tuna, and  I am not going to. However his record with the second /third  round picks, I feel are not good, terrible in fact.  When you consider BB's interest in trading down for value, and accumulating second and third picks.   How much of the blame was Piolli and how much was BB's not sure.  However he is in charge now, and the team has some needs to address now to optimize Brady's last few years in the league. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

TALK ABOUT CHEAP!! THE JETS-  JONES, OVER 1000 YDS EACH IN THE LAST 3 YEARS, 2009, OVER 1400 !!! NOW OWED A BONUS NEXT MONTH, THEY CUT HIM BUMMER!!! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

With the exception of last year the Pats have always been high and tight against the cap number.  This talk comes out every year and the numbers get posted.  It's a recorded fact that Kraft said he's not signing any big contracts until he knows what rules he's working under which makes a whole lotta business sense.

The Jets have been playing catch up.  They have signed a couple of big dollar FAs.  But this will come home to roost.  The release of Jones is an example.  Wait until Sanchez cashes in!  You'll see some more cuts.  Mangold is going to want to be paid as the best center in the league.  He may be let go or take up more cap space which further ties the hands of the Jets.  Then there's Revis.  Problems are on the horizon for this team.  They have a short period of time to do something with the team they presently have then it blows up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

One could say the same thing about the Colts or any other NFL team. Only the Pats haters and the know nothing bandwagon fans single out the Pats. As for the Jets...lets not get myopic about them as they seem to be about us. As you said the Jets aren't the only team in the division that's improving a point I've made to several Jets fans. Besides winning the division is small potatoes compared to making it to and winning the SB. It's only a sign of the Jets' decades of futility that they go nuts over beating us once. If you have low expectations you're easily satisfied.