Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Wow!!! The New England Patriots proved last night that they're a legitimate SB contender after laying the smack down on Rex Ryan's Jets, 45-3. This huge win puts the Patriots in the drivers' seat in the AFC East race, and for the top seed in the conference play-offs. It appeared that the Patriots unleashed a season's worth of pent up rage at the the bombastic Jets, as they erupted with Mount St. Helenistic fury. It was the perfect performance to honor the perfect Patriot, Tedy Bruschi. Here are my grades

A.) OFFENSE:
    Just a well oiled machine, that administered death by a thousand cuts. 

1.) QB: If there were any lingering questions as to who is the best QB in the NFL, let them cease. Tom Terrific toyed with the vaunted Rex Ryan defense, as he completed 21 of 29 passes, for 326 yards, four (4) TDs, and, as usual, with no interceptions. His combination of accuracy, efficiency, smarts, and uncanny ability to avoid turnovers has been the straw that's stirred the Patriots' drink this season. Aside from missing a wide open Deion Branch deep early (although, in fairness, it appeared that Branch was interfered with on that play), this was a perfect performance by a near perfect QB:
    GRADE: A+;

2.) RB: The BJGE/Woodhead tandem continues to amaze. Green-Ellis contributed 18 carries for a tough 72 yards, and two (2) TDs. Though Danny Woodhead only had two carries for 11 yards, he added four pass receptions for 104 yards, including a magnificent 50 yard catch and run, that surely left Jets' GM, Mike Tannenbaum, green with envy:
    GRADE: A;

3.) OL: The "Big Uglies" were beautiful last night, in the way they handled the Jets' front seven in pass protection. Make no mistake, Brady couldn't be Brady without the big boys up front. Solid job in getting a push on various short yardage plays, throughout the game: 

4.) TEs & WRs: Young tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski both impressed. Gronkowski drew a 36 yard PI penalty to set up the Pats' first TD, while Hernandez chipped in with a brilliant 35 yard catch and run, setting up a 3rd quarter Pats' TD. Alge Crumpler and Gronk did they usual fine job in assisting the OL. As for the WRs, Wes Welker looks like he's finally 100% back...finishing with seven (7) catches for 80 yards, and a TD...in which he dragged a Jets' DB wrapped around his legs five yards, to paydirt. Deion Branch added three (3) receptions for 64 yards...none bigger than a 25 yard TD reception on a slant on a 4th and three, in the first quarter. Kudos to Brandon Tate for a difficult TD grab of a Brady bullet, while hugging the endzone side-line:

B.) DEFENSE: Though there were some problems containing the Jets' running game, the "D" managed to get some pressure on Mark Sanchez, and totally shut down the Jets passing attack. It was a combination of the Pats' "D' playing well, and "The Sanchize" playing awful.

1.) DL: Vince Wilfolk did a nice job of getting a push up front. But, the Patriots missed Mike Wright and Myron Prior, and had some problems containing Jets' RB, Shonn Greene and LT. The two RBs combined for 23 carries for 111 yards (an average over over 4.6 yards per run). Had the Pats not jumped out to an early lead, the trouble the Pats' had in stopping the run could have mushroomed into a much bigger problem than it was.
    GRADE: B-;

2.) LBs: There was some sloppy tackling by Rob Ninkovich and Jermaine Cunningham. That aside, the LBs as a unit were solid. Excellent job in pass coverage, including a key interception by Brandon Spikes at the Pats' five early in the third quarter. His pick, for all intents and purposes, snuffed out any hopes of a Jets' come-back. Spikes also chipped in with seven (7) tackles, including four (4) solos...in what might have been his best game of the season. Jerod Mayo, as usual, led the team in tackles with twelve (12), including six (6) solos. Aside from some sloppiness mentioned above, I loved Jermaine Cunningham's athleticism. He seemed to be around the ball throughout the game, and finished with five (5) tackles, all solos. Tully Banta-Cain chipped in with three tackles (all solos), and a sack:
    GRADE: A-;

3.) SECONDARY: Continued to show improvement by shutting down (with some help from "The Sanchize") the Jets' passing game. Aside from a missed tackle on Braylon Edwards, Devin McCouty continues to impress, adding his sixth pick of the year on an under-thrown Sanchize pass. Meanwhile, the trio of James Sanders, Brandon Meriweather, and Kyle Arrington chipped in with 19 tackles, twelve of which were solos. Sanders in particular seemed like he was everywhere, and contributed another pick on a Sanchize gift. Whether it was their fine play, or the poor play of an overrated, over-matched young QB...you be the judge:

C.) SPECIAL TEAMS:
    PK Shayne Graham did a reasonably good job on kick-offs, in cold and windy conditions. He also knocked through a 42 yard FG for the Pats first points, into the wind. The kick coverage team left something to be desired, as they had some problems with the mercurial Brad Smith. The Pats caught a huge break when a 50 or so yard Smith return was called back for a somewhat dubious block in the back call. Coverage also allowed an 18 yard punt return by Joe McKnight:
    GRADE: B-;

D.) COACHING:
    Outstanding job by BB and his staff in getting their team ready to play. The Pats' blocking schemes and pass coverage schemes worked, and were executed to near perfection. Just one penalty for ten yards and zero false-starts indicates discipline and focus by the players. That's a refection of a well coached team. BB continues his march for NFL Coach of the Year by somehow, some way, getting his young defense to play well above expectations:

E.) PLAY OF THE GAME: There were three plays that stand out...the 36 yard PI penalty against Rob Gronkowski, setting up the Pats' first TD...the 4th and 3 slant to Deion Branch for a TD, building the Pats' lead to 17-3...and the Spikes pick, which killed any hopes of a Jets' comeback. I'll take the 4th and 3 TD play to Branch, which broke open the game.

F.) PLAYER OF THE GAME:
    Tom Terrific.

Here ate the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301206017

Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Screw you Tex.  You're always the first to give up on the team after a loss and you always pick against them.  You're clearly just a Jets/Colts troll in disguise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

No grade should be less than B+ for this game. 
    I thought ST played very well and had Smith boxed in pretty much all night - a non-factor.

And I hope all the B Tate detractors saw that TD catch.  I saw Tate open on a number of longer routes too, but there was no need for Brady to risk a throw that deep when he had so many shorter options.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I love how the defense is starting to come together - what's that, 8 turnovers in the last three games? There is still work to be done, but they are really coming together as a unit. They couldn't be peaking at a better time, with Chicago and GB coming up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]No grade should be less than B+ for this game.  I thought ST played very well and had Smith boxed in pretty much all night - a non-factor. And I hope all the B Tate detractors saw that TD catch.  I saw Tate open on a number of longer routes too, but there was no need for Brady to risk a throw that deep when he had so many shorter options.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

The jury is still out on Tate.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

is TB being considered for MVP yet ever since the Cleveland game he has been in the freaking zone

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]is TB being considered for MVP yet ever since the Cleveland game he has been in the freaking zone
    Posted by wolfwood[/QUOTE]

He's got to be the front-runner now. But, who cares...certainly not Tom. Unlike that fellow who wears that horse-shoe helmet, all Tom cares about is a ring.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I thought we came up with decent pressure on Sanchez - would give our DL a B+

The Jets do have a strong running game and they get paid too..

Green seems to be a class act.

Love the way our D is coming together.

Near Perfect game and Patriots peaking at the near perfect time !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

No doubt TexasPat will be taking Chicago this week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

Tex....no offense..but your grades don't mean much........you picked the Pats to lose this game...........last person I want to see putting some sort of judgment of grade on them after they win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

The DL grade is a joke.  You start by saying if the team had not jumped out to a big lead.....Well they DID jump out to a big lead and were more then happy to let the Jets run the ball in the second half and eat up the clock.  Plus they were missing TWO starters.  b-?  What a joke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bonkerbear. Show bonkerbear's posts

TP,
           Great report. That was the most enjoyable Pats victory I've seen in quite a while.  The offense reminds of the SF 49'ers when they had Montanna, Rice, Taylor, Roger Craig etc.  The Patriots just have so many good options and do a great job of keeping the defense off balance. Who would have thought that Woodhead would be our leading pass receiver last night. Brady is doing a fantastic job of finding the open receiver.  The offensive play calling is the best we seen in quite a while. No offense to Moss, but without him the offense is now playing to Brady's strength instead of trying to keep Moss happy.
        Another huge factor is the teamwork being displayed. You don't grade that and I don't know how to, but I give it an A+.  As John Madden said a couple of years ago, the Pats don't have the best player they just have the best team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would give the O-line a B+. They did a lot of good things, but Light missed three assignments, Connolly missed one.

The underspoken thing about that performance was that Brady put on a clinic showing why he is the best in the game. 

He bought time with his feet, would slide past defenders, dip his shoulder, snap his footback and throw all while never taking his eyes off his reads.

Manning fans bliotch about their o-line, but that is only because they don't get to watch a QB that actually helps them by extending the play ... AND making an accurate throw.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jedi33. Show Jedi33's posts

TFb is in the zone! he is a man on a mission he doest care about theMVp award  he's on a quest for that elusive 4th Ring

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I would give the O-line a B+. They did a lot of good things, but Light missed three assignments, Connolly missed one.

RESPONSE: Perhaps...but they were playing against one of the NFL's best defenses.

The underspoken thing about that performance was that Brady put on a clinic showing why he is the best in the game.  He bought time with his feet, would slide past defenders, dip his shoulder, snap his footback and throw all while never taking his eyes off his reads. Manning fans bliotch about their o-line, but that is only because they don't get to watch a QB that actually helps them by extending the play ... AND making an accurate throw.

RESPONSE: Amen. Throw Manning off a hair, and it's either an incompletion or a pick. Not so with Tom.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I love how the defense is starting to come together - what's that, 8 turnovers in the last three games? There is still work to be done, but they are really coming together as a unit. They couldn't be peaking at a better time, with Chicago and GB coming up.
    Posted by BelichickDisciple[/QUOTE]

The Bears in Chicago will be a tough test, coming off this huge win. It's a huge game for them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's a cold, hard look at the 45-3 "clinic": http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3515_The_clinic%3A_NE_45%2C_NYJ_3.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from u240robert. Show u240robert's posts

I like the grades.
    I don't always agree with them, but I'm too lazy to put up my own grades
    and I enjoy reading what Texas Pat puts up.
    Some times I think the grades are a bit harsh, but in a way
    thats the way Belichick would do it also.
    There's always room for improvement.
    Many fans think grades are either 'A' or 'F' based on a win or loss.
    There can be wins where they got lucky and there can be losses where
    they got a bad break.

It amazes me how many yards the Pats give up but not the points.
    It seems once the opponent the Pats buckle down.

I was really starting to believe the Jets may be for real
    but I thought the Pats would win a close game.
    Now it seems the Jets may be frauds after all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Does a report card even need to be done for this game?  Anytime you can beat the jets like the Pats did last night it's A+'s all around.

The only thing was the pass rush.  They got some good pressure but couldn't finish with the sacks.  If the D could have finished with the sacks they would have had like 10 of them.

Great freaking game.  It was masterful!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Pats seem to be improving week by week in all phases.  Scary thought for the league.  I think this may be the best 4 game stretch I've seen out of Brady in his career taking everything into consideration, better then any 4 in a row in 07.  He is on top of his game, carving good defenses up (Steelers and Jesters have been top 5 Ds all year), leading the troops, working with new faces flawlessly.  A real pleasure to watch one of the all time greats at the peak of his powers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Let's call this a win and move on to next week

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

great game. i honestly thought this game would be the pats by ten.  This blowout lead to a really high bar tab for me due to my pats enthusiam in Ohio. (i said if the pats go up 20 i'll by a round for 15 of my non pats fan buddies, if they go up 40 I'll buy them whatever drink they want) to make a long story short I'm out over 100 bucks but i still think it was money well spent.  You can't buy such a thrashing of a bitter rival.  Plus i got alot of guys in an ohio bar to be rooting for the pats during the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]great game. i honestly thought this game would be the pats by ten.  This blowout lead to a really high bar tab for me due to my pats enthusiam in Ohio. (i said if the pats go up 20 i'll by a round for 15 of my non pats fan buddies, if they go up 40 I'll buy them whatever drink they want) to make a long story short I'm out over 100 bucks but i still think it was money well spent.  You can't buy such a thrashing of a bitter rival.  Plus i got alot of guys in an ohio bar to be rooting for the pats during the game.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Heck...I thought it would be a game won by a FG. That's why I took the Jets and the 3.5 points. But...never was I so glad to be so wrong!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Let's call this a win and move on to next week
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

LOL, Hello BB Jr. 

There is reason to celebrate, I will leave the humbleness to the players and coaches.  I'm pretty sure BB even took a moment last night to celebrate in his own way.  Not sure what that would be, any ideas?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I like the grades. I don't always agree with them, but I'm too lazy to put up my own grades and I enjoy reading what Texas Pat puts up. Some times I think the grades are a bit harsh, but in a way thats the way Belichick would do it also. There's always room for improvement. Many fans think grades are either 'A' or 'F' based on a win or loss. There can be wins where they got lucky and there can be losses where they got a bad break. It amazes me how many yards the Pats give up but not the points. It seems once the opponent the Pats buckle down. I was really starting to believe the Jets may be for real but I thought the Pats would win a close game. Now it seems the Jets may be frauds after all.
    Posted by u240robert[/QUOTE]

The "D" is gradually improving. BB is doing a masterful job with this team.

Here's a good article by Mike Reiss about the improvement of the Pats' "D": http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5894325