Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

An important win for the Patriots against their chief divisional rival (yeah...I know Buffalo is 4-1). But, it was disappointing watching the Patriots keep the Jets in the game due to some horrible red-zone offense, dropped passes, and a special teams gaffe...that nearly cost them the game. What could have and should have been a blow-out win, was reduced to a hard-fought game. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: Why can't the Pats' OL do a better job of picking up Sexy Rexy's blitzes? Poor execution in the red-zone nearly proved costly.

1.) QB: When given time, Tom was able to find the open man running through  the vaunted Jets' secondary. He finished with 24 completions in 33 attempts for 321 yards, a TD, and one costly red-zone pick. It happened at the close of the first half. Though this particular throw was a wobbler, it hit TE Aaron Hernandez in his hands, and should have been caught for a TD. But, instead, the ball clanged off his hands, into the waiting arms of the hated Antonio Cromartie. 
         That play was sandwiched between two big plays to Wes Welker, that set up the first two Patriots' TD. There was a 32 yard laser in the first quarter, and a 73 yard bomb, in the third quarter. Though Tom has had better games, he was practically turnover free. When the Pats play the Jets and don't turn the ball over, they'll win...every time:
    GRADE: B+;

2.) RBs: Injuries to Danny Woodhead, Kevin Faulk, and Shane Vereen left the ball carrying duties in the hands of BJGE, and rookie Stevan Ridley. Believe it or not, there's been a ton of talk that Ridley should be the Pats' #1 RB option. But today, BJGE showed why he is the Pats' top RB...rushing for 136 yards on 27 attempts, and two TDs. With the score at 27-21 late in the fourth quarter, Green-Ellis took the game over, and made sure that the Jets wouldn't get a chance to overtake the Pats. Huge 14 yard run on a 3rd and 4, late in the 4th quarter, might have been the play of the game. The "ground n' pound" today was by Benny, not the Jets: 
    GRADE: A;

3.) OL: The "Big Uglies" had plenty of problems picking up the Jets' blitz packages...as they allowed Tom Brady to be sacked 4 times, and hit on numerous other occasions. But, pretty much throughout the game, and especially late in the 4th quarter, this unit dominated the Jets front seven, as the Patriots were able to run out the clock on the Goblins:
    GRADE: B;

4.) TEs: It was great having Aaron Hernandez back. Though he clearly was not 100%, he took some of the heat off of Wes Welker, contributing contributing 5 catches for 56 yards. But, the aforementioned drop he had at the end of the first half cost the Patriots a TD. Though Rob Gronkowski had just 4 catches for 31 yards, he also contributed with his blocking in the running game. But, he wasn't much of a factor in the red-zone. Nonetheless, both TEs contributed mightily on the Pats' third TD drive in the 3rd quarter (Brady to Gronk to convert a 3rd and 13, and a 3rd and 2 to sustain the 77 yard drive...and a 21 yard play from Brady to Hernandez to put the Pats in scoring position), which staked the Pats to a commanding 24-14 lead: 
    GRADE: B-;

5.) WRs: Though the Jets surely made him a marked man, somehow, someway, the "Wild Wild Wes" found a way. Though held to just 5 receptions, he had those huge aforementioned 32 and 73 yard plays, which set up TDs...as he finishing with 124 receiving yards. Deion Branch also chipped in with a solid 7 catches for 74 yards, and a TD:
    GRADE: B+;

II. DEFENSE:
    By far, this unit's best game of the season. Though some of the credit must go to the somewhat punch-less Jets, this group by and large shut "The Shanchize" down. The "D" allowed the Jets to convert on just 3 of 11 third down attempts, and just 255 total yards of offense. That said, the "D" couldn't stop the Jets in the red-zone. Nonetheless, as well as the "D" played today, the Jets had no business being within 6 points of the Pats, late in the 4th quarter;

1.) DL: Though the Jets tried to "ground and pound", for the most part, they couldn't. DTs Kyle Love and Vince Wilfolk were able to clog up the running lanes, clearing things for the LBs and safeties to make tackles. DE Andre Carter had a strong game with 7 tackles, of which four were solos. But, as usual, there was a minimal rush from the front four...although Mark Anderson was able to wrap up Mark Sanchez in the dying seconds:

2.) LBs: Nice job by LBs Gary Guyton and Brandon Spikes in relief of Jerod Mayo...as the two combined for 15 tackles, 9 of which were solos. Jets RBs and TEs did no damage throughout the game. OLB Rob Ninkovich assisted on 6 tackles, and was credited with half of sack:
    GRADE: B+;

3.) SECONDARY: Solid play from safeties Patrick Chung and ex-Jet, James Ihedigbo, as the two combined for 15 tackles, including 9 solos. Although nearly always a pain in the neck for the Pats, Jets' TE Dustin Keller was an invisible man today. Aside from letting Jets' WRs Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Curley slip away for easy TD receptions, the CBs by and large were effective...as the Jets passed for only 166 yards:

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Aside from the performance of kickers Stephen Gostkowski (3 FGs) and Zoltan "The Magnificent" (51.3 yard average on 4 punts), the special teams were terrible. The Jets Joe McKnight had a couple of excellent kickoff returns, including one for 88 yards. It came immediately after Wes Welker huge 73 yard catch...which led to a TD, and a 17-7 Patriots lead. It gave the Jets a gift TD...and allowed them to stay in the game, at 17-14. There was also a Wes Welker fumble in the first quarter...which the Patriots fortunately were able to recover. Such mistakes cannot be tolerated, nor made, especially against good teams. Welker would subsequently make a beautiful 25 yards punt return near the end of the 3rd quarter, setting up a Gostkowski FG.
    GRADE: C-;   

IV. COACHING: Good job by BB and the boys in eliminating the TE and RB from the Jets' passing offense...which forced Mark Sanchez to beat them by throwing down-field. But, the "D" couldn't stop the Jets in the red-zone, and the "O" got held to FGs on a couple of occasions. 
         Yes...this was a win. But I'm bothered by the fact that although the Patriots outplayed the Jets the way they did...that this was still a close game. The reasons for this are that the Pats are still having problems dealing with the Jets' blitz packages. This is leading to Tom Brady being hit/sacked too often. Furthermore, mistakes such as dropped passes, and poor special teams' play, must be cleaned up...if the Pats hope to have Peyton Manning watching them play in Indianapolis, this February:

V. PLAYS OF THE GAME: The obvious pick is the 73 yard Brady to Welker bomb at the start of the 3rd quarter...which led to the Pats increasing their lead to 17-7. But, that play was practically negated by the McKnight 88 yard kickoff return, which led to the gap being closed to 17-14. 
         The games' biggest play might have been on a 3rd and 13 at the Patriots' own 20, with under 5 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter. Joe McKnight had just fueled the Jets with momentum after his above mentioned 88 yard, leading to a Jets' TD...and cutting the Pats' lead to 17-14. Brady would hit Rob Gronkowski down the right sideline for a 17 yard play, and a first and 10 to the Patriots' 37. The Pats would continue an 11 play, 77 yard drive, to regain command of the game, and increase their lead to 24-14. Had the Jets held the Pats here, forcing a three and out, who knows how this game might have turned out?
         Finally, there was the 3rd and 4 with 3:43 left in the game, at the Jets' 46...when BJGE gained 14 yards on a direct snap...which pretty much iced the game.

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Tom Brady, Wes Welker, and BJGE all are deserving. But, if I have to choose one, I'll go with "The Law Firm".

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311009017

Your comments and opinions are welcome.         

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Your best report card yet. I almost always disagree with you. I still think you are to hard on the QB. I counted three dropped passes that ended drives, one of which was the interception. I agree it should not have been that close a game but the Jets are a super bowl contender and they usually win these types of games. The Pats showed toughness scoring right out of the box in the third quarter. I am sure you have heard Sanchez' comments. The Jets really thought they were going to win the game but the Pats pulled it out. Probably good for morale if they face adversity in the meadowlands in a few weeks in the rematch. 
     I do not think it was the Defense's fault the game was close though. Dropped passes and bad special teams kept the game more exciting than it should have been.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnyeates. Show johnyeates's posts

Nicely done!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I have not posted much here but I come every week after game to see your report card. Aprreciate the work

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Nice write up TP.  I particularly agree with you on:

*that McKnight return; that could have been a game changer;
     *the 3rd and 13 to Gronk in the 3rd;
     *coaching overall.

I must say that I think the Pats did a better job of dealing with the blitz than you do it is still not a problem solved.

Thanks again for your work on these.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Special teams is it for me.  McKight just ran it up the gut.  Nothing fancy.  Big meltdown here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

In Response to Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]     An important win for the Patriots against their chief divisional rival (yeah...I know Buffalo is 4-1). But, it was disappointing watching the Patriots keep the Jets in the game due to some horrible red-zone offense, dropped passes, and a special teams gaffe...that nearly cost them the game. What could have and should have been a blow-out win, was reduced to a hard-fought game. Here are my grades: I. OFFENSE: Why can't the Pats' OL do a better job of picking up Sexy Rexy's blitzes? Poor execution in the red-zone nearly proved costly. 1.) QB: When given time, Tom was able to find the open man running through  the vaunted Jets' secondary. He finished with 24 completions in 33 attempts for 321 yards, a TD, and one costly red-zone pick. It happened at the close of the first half. Though this particular throw was a wobbler, it hit TE Aaron Hernandez in his hands, and should have been caught for a TD. But, instead, the ball clanged off his hands, into the waiting arms of the hated Antonio Cromartie.       That play was sandwiched between two big plays to Wes Welker, that set up the first two Patriots' TD. There was a 32 yard laser in the first quarter, and a 73 yard bomb, in the third quarter. Though Tom has had better games, he was practically turnover free. When the Pats play the Jets and don't turn the ball over, they'll win...every time: GRADE: B+; 2.) RBs: Injuries to Danny Woodhead, Kevin Faulk, and Shane Vereen left the ball carrying duties in the hands of BJGE, and rookie Stevan Ridley. Believe it or not, there's been a ton of talk that Ridley should be the Pats' #1 RB option. But today, BJGE showed why he is the Pats' top RB...rushing for 136 yards on 27 attempts, and two TDs. With the score at 27-21 late in the fourth quarter, Green-Ellis took the game over, and made sure that the Jets wouldn't get a chance to overtake the Pats. Huge 14 yard run on a 3rd and 4, late in the 4th quarter, might have been the play of the game. The "ground n' pound" today was by Benny, not the Jets:  GRADE: A; 3.) OL: The "Big Uglies" had plenty of problems picking up the Jets' blitz packages...as they allowed Tom Brady to be sacked 4 times, and hit on numerous other occasions. But, pretty much throughout the game, and especially late in the 4th quarter, this unit dominated the Jets front seven, as the Patriots were able to run out the clock on the Goblins: GRADE: B; 4.) TEs: It was great having Aaron Hernandez back. Though he clearly was not 100%, he took some of the heat off of Wes Welker, contributing contributing 5 catches for 56 yards. But, the aforementioned drop he had at the end of the first half cost the Patriots a TD. Though Rob Gronkowski had just 4 catches for 31 yards, he also contributed with his blocking in the running game. But, he wasn't much of a factor in the red-zone. Nonetheless, both TEs contributed mightily on the Pats' third TD drive in the 3rd quarter (Brady to Gronk to convert a 3rd and 13, and a 3rd and 2 to sustain the 77 yard drive...and a 21 yard play from Brady to Hernandez to put the Pats in scoring position), which staked the Pats to a commanding 24-14 lead:  GRADE: B-; 5.) WRs: Though the Jets surely made him a marked man, somehow, someway, the "Wild Wild Wes" found a way. Though held to just 5 receptions, he had those huge aforementioned 32 and 73 yard plays, which set up TDs...as he finishing with 124 receiving yards. Deion Branch also chipped in with a solid 7 catches for 74 yards, and a TD: GRADE: B+; II. DEFENSE: By far, this unit's best game of the season. Though some of the credit must go to the somewhat punch-less Jets, this group by and large shut "The Shanchize" down. The "D" allowed the Jets to convert on just 3 of 11 third down attempts, and just 255 total yards of offense. That said, the "D" couldn't stop the Jets in the red-zone. Nonetheless, as well as the "D" played today, the Jets had no business being within 6 points of the Pats, late in the 4th quarter; 1.) DL: Though the Jets tried to "ground and pound", for the most part, they couldn't. DTs Kyle Love and Vince Wilfolk were able to clog up the running lanes, clearing things for the LBs and safeties to make tackles. DE Andre Carter had a strong game with 7 tackles, of which four were solos. But, as usual, there was a minimal rush from the front four...although Mark Anderson was able to wrap up Mark Sanchez in the dying seconds: GRADE: B; 2.) LBs: Nice job by LBs Gary Guyton and Brandon Spikes in relief of Jerod Mayo...as the two combined for 15 tackles, 9 of which were solos. Jets RBs and TEs did no damage throughout the game. OLB Rob Ninkovich assisted on 6 tackles, and was credited with half of sack: GRADE: B+; 3.) SECONDARY: Solid play from safeties Patrick Chung and ex-Jet, James Ihedigbo, as the two combined for 15 tackles, including 9 solos. Although nearly always a pain in the neck for the Pats, Jets' TE Dustin Keller was an invisible man today. Aside from letting Jets' WRs Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Curley slip away for easy TD receptions, the CBs by and large were effective...as the Jets passed for only 166 yards: GRADE: B; III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Aside from the performance of kickers Stephen Gostkowski (3 FGs) and Zoltan "The Magnificent" (51.3 yard average on 4 punts), the special teams were terrible. The Jets Joe McKnight had a couple of excellent kickoff returns, including one for 88 yards. It came immediately after Wes Welker huge 73 yard catch...which led to a TD, and a 17-7 Patriots lead. It gave the Jets a gift TD...and allowed them to stay in the game, at 17-14. There was also a Wes Welker fumble in the first quarter...which the Patriots fortunately were able to recover. Such mistakes cannot be tolerated, nor made, especially against good teams. Welker would subsequently make a beautiful 25 yards punt return near the end of the 3rd quarter, setting up a Gostkowski FG. GRADE: C-;     IV. COACHING: Good job by BB and the boys in eliminating the TE and RB from the Jets' passing offense...which forced Mark Sanchez to beat them by throwing down-field. But, the "D" couldn't stop the Jets in the red-zone, and the "O" got held to FGs on a couple of occasions.       Yes...this was a win. But I'm bothered by the fact that although the Patriots outplayed the Jets the way they did...that this was still a close game. The reasons for this are that the Pats are still having problems dealing with the Jets' blitz packages. This is leading to Tom Brady being hit/sacked too often. Furthermore, mistakes such as dropped passes, and poor special teams' play, must be cleaned up...if the Pats hope to have Peyton Manning watching them play in Indianapolis, this February: GRADE: B; V. PLAYS OF THE GAME: The obvious pick is the 73 yard Brady to Welker bomb at the start of the 3rd quarter...which led to the Pats increasing their lead to 17-7. But, that play was practically negated by the McKnight 88 yard kickoff return, which led to the gap being closed to 17-14.       The games' biggest play might have been on a 3rd and 13 at the Patriots' own 20, with under 5 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter. Joe McKnight had just fueled the Jets with momentum after his above mentioned 88 yard, leading to a Jets' TD...and cutting the Pats' lead to 17-14. Brady would hit Rob Gronkowski down the right sideline for a 17 yard play, and a first and 10 to the Patriots' 37. The Pats would continue an 11 play, 77 yard drive, to regain command of the game, and increase their lead to 24-14. Had the Jets held the Pats here, forcing a three and out, who knows how this game might have turned out?      Finally, there was the 3rd and 4 with 3:43 left in the game, at the Jets' 46...when BJGE gained 14 yards on a direct snap...which pretty much iced the game. VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: Tom Brady, Wes Welker, and BJGE all are deserving. But, if I have to choose one, I'll go with "The Law Firm".      Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311009017      Your comments and opinions are welcome.                                   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

Concerning your post about the offensive line picking up the blitz:

A few years ago Tom Brady had a clock in his head and he would throw the ball away. At least two of the sacks yesterday were because he held the ball to long. I would also like to see the Pats utilize the moving pocket one or two times a game. The Patriots used to be successful with that.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I would not have graded the LBs better than the OL.  Spikes in particular (though playing a different role) often took himself out of position and the Jets were targeting his area on sustained drives.  The fact that he had stats has more to do with the defense being set up for the LBs to clean up.
    The OL had a very good game.  Some of the sacks were coverage sacks and Brady could have thrown 1-2 away and been better off.  BJGE would not have gotten the yards he did w/o a big assist from the "big uglies".  On the direct snap it looked like the OL created a tsunami to wash away the Jet defenders.

Great win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

On the OL picking up the blitzes...

With the Jets, I think they're going to take their chances whenever the Patriots go shotgun/empty backfield - then it's a numbers game.

O'brien/BB MUST recognize that they need TE help and/or a RB in the backfield to help protect Brady - and mix up their offensive play calling like they've done the past two games

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]Concerning your post about the offensive line picking up the blitz: A few years ago Tom Brady had a clock in his head and he would throw the ball away. At least two of the sacks yesterday were because he held the ball to long. I would also like to see the Pats utilize the moving pocket one or two times a game. The Patriots used to be successful with that.  
    Posted by 5afb46cdafc1a387f960366d19572219[/QUOTE]

True, he did hold onto the ball  a lil long at times and could/should have thrown the ball away.  I think they rolled brady once yesterday, but he is not particularly nimble...lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

TP

I think it would be interesting to grade the officiating in the game as part of your weekly analysis. 

In this case, 2 major calls were overturned in the Pats favor and this contributed to the momentum of the Pats: Branch's catch down by the goal line originally ruled a fumble and Burress's catch, later ruled out of bounds. Although there was no question about Burress being out of bounds I breathed a sigh of relief about the Branch decision. This was a call that could have gone either way as Branch was moving the ball from one hand to the other (although with a knee down). If the Pats don't get this call a TD comes off the board and the tenor of the game changes. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

This week I give the Coach an A. Two great challenges- won- that made a huge difference in game momentum and points for the PATS. And the adjustments the PATS made in the second half- after that painful first half was impressive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

I liek your "Report Card" better than alot of writers on the Pats. Nicely Done!!! Again!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hey Tex,
    Once again a stellar job on your game report...always a good read...

I would also like to echo the senitments of one of the posters above regarding Spikes cleary he's not adept in pass coverages and was out of position on two or three drive sustaining plays. I think it's something the Jets saw on film and tried to exploit. Each time it was a case of him reading the QB's eyes and vacating his spot anticiapting the throw and once he took the bait, the recievers cut back into the spot he vacated...He needs to do a better job of "staying home" and let the play come to him...Also our safety play was spotty at best...#44 the new kid from the Jets was out of position on the TD to Holmes, his job was to stay over the top with McCourty under and he bit on Holmes in cut anticipating a throw...

Overall I thought it was a good win and agree it shouldn't have been as close as the final score indicated...Special teams Mcnights 80 yard return giving the Jet's a short field and the innterception just before the half kept the Jet's in the game...

While a gree that the Pat's have to do a better job of picking up the blitz. I think that 2 or 3 of the sacks were coverage sacks where Brady held the ball too long...that said the Jets did hit him quite a few times...looked to me that they targeted #66 whenever he was in the game with stunts on his side. The interception just before the half by Cromartie was on Brady more so that Hernndez it was a catchable ball, in fairness to him it wasn't a great throw by Brady either lots of velocity into tight coverage that was slightly behind and sailed because of the wooble...Like trying to catch a kncukcle ball. If he takes that to the house it's a different game...Felt to me like he was trying to stick on in on Cromartie...and later he did the same thing when Welker was doubled by Revis and Cromartie when he threw the flag route and Welker ran into Cormartie...instead of hitting the tighend coming accross the middle...both were examples of Brady trying to taget the Jets corners...So I'd tend to give Brady a B for his performance...

In terms of the game plan, cleary Belicheck attacked the weakness in the Jet's defense which is defending the stretch play where BGJE shredded them...The final drive taking over 6 minutes off the clock and then settling for the field goal to ice the game was in my mind a very positive sign moving forward text book 4 minute offense where the emphasis was on moving the chains, forcing the Jet's to burn timeouts and ultimately make it a two score game with less than 2 minutes on the clock...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP I think it would be interesting to grade the officiating in the game as part of your weekly analysis.  In this case, 2 major calls were overturned in the Pats favor and this contributed to the momentum of the Pats: Branch's catch down by the goal line originally ruled a fumble and Burress's catch, later ruled out of bounds. Although there was no question about Burress being out of bounds I breathed a sigh of relief about the Branch decision. This was a call that could have gone either way as Branch was moving the ball from one hand to the other (although with a knee down). If the Pats don't get this call a TD comes off the board and the tenor of the game changes. 
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

Excellent point about the Branch "fumble". It was something that I should have discussed in my report card. You're right...that call could have gone either way, and could have been a game changer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      Excellent point about the Branch "fumble". It was something that I should have discussed in my report card. You're right...that call could have gone either way, and could have been a game changer.

I didin't see it that way...the only way that play stands is if Belicheck doesn't challenge...by rule once Pace touched Branch's shoulder pads because his knee was down, the plays dead and the reciever is ruled down by contact...the only other way to rule that would've been incomplete, but it was clearly a catch...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD : I didin't see it that way...the only way that play stands is if Belicheck doesn't challenge...by rule once Pace touched Branch's shoulder pads because his knee was down, the plays dead and the reciever is ruled down by contact...the only other way to rule that would've been incomplete, but it was clearly a catch...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

The ruling on the field was a fumble. Though the refs made the right call in reversing that call, they could have ruled to uphold the call. To me, it wasn't that cut and dried. I don't like seeing the Pats in such positions.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] Your best report card yet. I almost always disagree with you. I still think you are to hard on the QB. I counted three dropped passes that ended drives, one of which was the interception. I agree it should not have been that close a game but the Jets are a super bowl contender and they usually win these types of games. The Pats showed toughness scoring right out of the box in the third quarter. I am sure you have heard Sanchez' comments. The Jets really thought they were going to win the game but the Pats pulled it out. Probably good for morale if they face adversity in the meadowlands in a few weeks in the rematch.   I do not think it was the Defense's fault the game was close though. Dropped passes and bad special teams kept the game more exciting than it should have been.
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]

If the Pats play this same way in NY, odds are they're getting beat. Still, not a bad effort, considering all the injuries that the team is currently dealing with. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I agree with your grades.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]This week I give the Coach an A. Two great challenges- won- that made a huge difference in game momentum and points for the PATS. And the adjustments the PATS made in the second half- after that painful first half was impressive.
    Posted by darwk[/QUOTE]

Hello, my friend! Good point about BB's successful challenges.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      The ruling on the field was a fumble. Though the refs made the right call in reversing that call, they could have ruled to uphold the call. To me, it wasn't that cut and dried. I don't like seeing the Pats in such positions.   

I know that...

what I was refering too was that Belicheck rightfully challenged it after the coaches in the sky signal for him to do so. Had he not challenged then the Jet's get the ball.  I don't like seeing them is such situations either, but, you have to credit the coaches for challenging the play...I'll take that over Andy Reid and the Eagles who never or rarely ever challange calls in fear of losing timeouts. It's alway worth challenging when the difference is a TD or a change of possesion.

Repsectfuly I have to agree to disagree with your opin. Based on the video evidence it was an obvious call (down by contact) because clearly Branch possesed the ball and was in the act of getting up while his knee was still down when Pace reached out and tagged him on the shoulders...Pace didn't go for the strip until seeing Branch try to change hands and get up...Had he not touched his shoulder pads and went directly for the strip, then it would've been a fumble. It was a bang, bang play so I see why the refs called it a fumble on the field. thanks to instant reply we retained possesion and ditto on the catch on the sideline which forced the Jet's to punt instead of a getting a new set of downs...if you listened to Belichecks pressor he spoke to both plays and credited his coaches in the box for calling down and telling him to challenge the play sideline catch in particular. His intitial reaction was to challenge the catch and it was his coaches that alerted him to Burress stepping out of bounds.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD : I know that... what I was refering too was that Belicheck rightfully challenged it after the coaches in the sky signal for him to do so. Had he not challenged then the Jet's get the ball.  I don't like seeing them is such situations either, but, you have to credit the coaches for challenging the play...I'll take that over Andy Reid and the Eagles who never or rarely ever challange calls in fear of losing timeouts. It's alway worth challenging when the difference is a TD or a change of possesion. Repsectfuly I have to agree to disagree with your opin. Based on the video evidence it was an obvious call (down by contact) because clearly Branch possesed the ball and was in the act of getting up while his knee was still down when Pace reached out and tagged him on the shoulders...Pace didn't go for the strip until seeing Branch try to change hands and get up...Had he not touched his shoulder pads and went directly for the strip, then it would've been a fumble. It was a bang, bang play so I see why the refs called it a fumble on the field. thanks to instant reply we retained possesion and ditto on the catch on the sideline which forced the Jet's to punt instead of a getting a new set of downs...if you listened to Belichecks pressor he spoke to both plays and credited his coaches in the box for calling down and telling him to challenge the play sideline catch in particular. His intitial reaction was to challenge the catch and it was his coaches that alerted him to Burress stepping out of bounds.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I've seen several games where even "obvious calls" on replay weren't enough to overturn calls made on the field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      I've seen several games where even "obvious calls" on replay weren't enough to overturn calls made on the field.

I too have seen my share...

I think your missing my point which was it was good coaching to challenge both plays...

Sections
Shortcuts