Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Though a Picaso it certainly wasn't, it's a win. One week from Sunday, the Pats face the toothless Bucs in Foxborough. But thereafter, the preliminaries are over, and the 2013 NFL season begins in earnest for our "Boys in Blue", two weeks from this Sunday, in Atlanta. They may have to take on the high scoring Falcons without Shane Vereen, Danny Amendola (who now is reportedly going to miss the next six (6) weeks), and a questionable Gronk. Better get it together, Boys!

Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: After a very good start, it was pretty much downhill. The "O" squandered several early opportunities to break the game open. This allowed the awful Jets to "hang around", and nearly pull off the upset.

1.) QB: Our main man looked confident and on his game on the Pats' initial drive, as he lead his team 81 yards on six plays, for a quick 7-0 lead. Put, a couple of poorly thrown passes, the lack of a dependable ground game, several WR drops, and several mistakes in running routes seem to wear on him. After thae aforementioned scoring drive, the once vaunted Patriots offense was held to just 13 first downs, and 151 total yards, for the remainder of the game. On the TD drive, Brady completed 3 of 4 passes for 54 yards, and a TD. For the remainder of the game, he completed just 16 passes in 35 attempts for 131 yards, and no TDs. His offense ran just 64 plays, and averaged a miniscule 3.6 yards per play...and just 4.7 yards per pass play. Brady and his "O" were a putrid 4 for 18 on third down conversions. Needless to say, that's not getting it done, folks. True, there were those poor routes being run,  those drops, and having to play in a pouring rain storm in the 2nd half. But folks, we're talking about Tom Brady, here...not Mark Sanchez, Curtis Painter, or Geno Smith. I saw a lot of yelling by Tom, both on the field and on the sidelines...but didn't see much leadership: GRADE: "C-";

2.) RBs: No fumbles from Stevan Ridley this week. But, not much production, either. Ridley had a pathetic 40 yards on 16 carries...an average of 2.5 yards per run. LeGarrette Blount wasn't any better, gaining just 11 yards on 4 carries. Neither player contributed anything in the passing game: GRADE: "D";

3.) OL: No, the RBs didn't play very well. But, it's hard to gain yards as a runner when you're constantly being hit behind the line of scrimmage. The middle of the OL had particular trouble with Jets' rookie DT Sheldon Richardson, who looked like a younger version of Vince Wilfolk. With the current injury problems that the Patriots are dealing with at WR and TE, they must have greater production from their running game. But, the "Big Uglies" were just ugly tonight in this department, as they were pushed around for most of the evening. That said, the OL did pass protect pretty well, generally giving Brady ample time to throw: GRADE "C-";

4.) WRs and TEs: The available Pats' TEs were no factor in the passing game, and contributed little in run blocking. As for the WRs, Julian Edelman led the way, as expected, with 13 catches for 78 yards. But, Edelman ran a wrong route in the red zone during the second quarter, which led to the Pats settling for a FG, instead of scoring a TD. Though rookie WR Aaron Dobson had terrible back to back 2nd quarter drops (one of which might have been an 84 yard TD pass), he was able to get separation from Jets' DBs. He finished with 3 catches for 56 yards, including a 39 yard TD pass on a blown coverage, for the Pats' only TD of the game. Kembrell Thompkins was still, by and large, missing in action. I don't know why BB chose not to give rrokie Josh Boyce some reps: GRADE: "D+";

II. DEFENSE: Was oppportunistic, forcing four (4) turnovers...three interceptions, and one fumble recovery. Because of their inept offense, they were on the field for 34 of the games' 60 minutes...but held the fort;

1.) DL: Big game for DE Chandler Jones, who finished with 5 (five) tackles, three (3) of which were solos, and had three (3) QB hits, including two (2) sacks. Bookend DE Rob Ninkovich chipped in with six (6) tackles, four (4) of which were solos, had two (2) tackles for loss (TFLs), and forced a fumble. By and large, the DL was able to put some pressure rookie QB Geno Smith for the majority of the game. DTs Vince Wilfolk and Tommy Kelly generally dominated the middle of the line, as the Jets were rarely able to get anything appreciable from their running game: GRADE: "A-";

2.) LBs: Strong performance from second year LB Dont'a Hightower, who tied for the team lead tonight in tackles with eight (8), including four (4) solos, a TFL, and a QB hit. Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes backed up some good DL play by shutting down the run. But, they did have some trouble in pass coverage, again: GRADE: "B+";

3.) DBs: For the game, Geno Smith completed just 15 of 35 passes for 214 yards, and three (3) interceptions. Safety Steve Gregory was active against the run, in matching D. Hightower's eight (8) tackles. Big game from CB Aqib Talib, who forced a fumble, and recorded two picks...including the one that snuffed out the final Jets' drive. Though the secondary gave up four big pass plays (37 and 33 yards to Stephen Hill, 34 yards to Clyde Gates, and 27 yards to Santonio Holmes), none of those figured in their scores. In fact, Hill's 33 yard reception was the first quarter play in which he was hit by Talib and fumbled, at the Patriots' 48 yard line. His fumble was scooped up and returned 44 yards by Devin McCourty, giving Brady and his Boys a first and goal, from the NY 8 yard line. Unfortunately, the Pats had to settle for a FG, and a 10-0 lead...instead of a 14-0 bulge: GRADE: "B".     

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: After a great start in Buffalo, "The Ghost" returned to his haunting ways by badly shanking a 43 yard FG on the final play of the first half, that would have given his team momentum, and a 16-3 halftime lead. But, his kickoffs were deep once again, as he had none returned. Punter Ryan Allen unfortunately had a very busy night...punting 11 times, for nearly a 47 yard per punt average. Only two of his punts were returned, for a combined total of just seven (7) yards. Good night for punt returner Julian Edelman, who finished with six (6) returns for a combined total of 72 yards of added field position: GRADE: "B".

IV. COACHING: Tough to get ready for a game on a short week. Still, the offense must be fixed...and fixed soon. Tom Brady clearly is not on the same page with his depleted receiving corp. The patience of Brady and the coaching staff is being strained. Yet, in time, it will get better. More cool veteran leadership and less screaming might be the better way for Brady to handle his young, inexperienced WRs. Perhaps an infusion of Gronk is forthcoming, soon? With much tougher teams on the horizon, the Pats can ill afford the redzone failures they experienced tonight...and the run blocking must improve. The performance of the "D" over the past two games has been encouraging. But, the "D" cannot be left on the field for 34 minutes against a team like Atlanta. I really can't complain about the coaching, as BB, as usual, seems to be orchestrating things pretty well. What is lacking is not the play calling, or defensive schemes, but crisp execution by the players: GRADE: "B".  

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: With 10:34 to play in the second quarter, the Jets, trailing 7-0, were on the march. Geno Smith completed a 33 yard pass to WR Stephen Hill, seemingly giving the Goblins the ball on the Patriots' 48 yard line. But, an Aqib Talib hit forced a fumble that Devin McCourty scooped up, and ran back 44 yards, to the Jets' 8 yard line. Though the Pats would ultimately have to settle for a FG, that play could have been at least a six (6) point swing.

VI. PLAYER OF HE GAME: CB Aqib Talib...with two picks and the above mentioned forced fumble.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330912017.

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome.

See y'all in the morning. Goodnight!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Jets @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Way off on QB. Brady = B+.

FAR too many drops. FAR too many bonehead errors by receivers.

Running - F. Ridley blows.

Drop the defense down a full grade across the board. The jets O is barely worthy of being called pro.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Those grades are on the mark. The D held the fort, while the O had some growing issues...

On a side note, don't they play Tampa seven days from Sunday? And then Atlanta the following week?

I think we can sneak by Tampa in week 3 if the D can hold serve once more, but it will not be enough in Atlanta - not by a long shot. Hopefully the return of Gronk will provide a spark on offense.

We have talked about being one-dimensional ad nauseam, but as of now the team really is. Passes are being thrown solely to wide receivers, and rushes come from RB's. There were no pass attempts to any tight ends, and if there was a pass or two to a running back I didn't notice it.

So while the rookies still haven't really flashed their potential, the fact New Jersey didn't have to account for neither TE's nor RB's in the passing game didn't help them.

Supra societatem nemo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Talib was beaten on a regular basis. He accidently causes the fumble as he's beaten on the throw and in the process of falling to the ground his leg spins up and hits the receiver on the arm causing the fumble. The pick was a gift from Dennard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Texas... thanks for posting,always look forward to your comments.

Questions/ comments.

1.  Spikes seemed absent, in that the Jests ran well and never heard his name called.

2.   Why call a pitch to Ridley with the weather conditions? If you want to run a play to burn time

why not a reverse? 

3. TB should not be  beating up on the rookies in public

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Pats are playing Tampa Bay at home a week from this Sunday. 

This game just gets a big fat U from me- as ugly as it gets.  yeah, a win. A gawd awful win. At least nobody got hurt.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I might give Brady a C+ because he made some great throws but you are right his leadership with the receivers drops his grade

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Drop the defense down a full grade across the board. The jets O is barely worthy of being called pro.

Do you say you think Brady outplayed the D? I didn't see that at all. I could, to a degree, accept that Brady's grade could be higher, but this game was won by the D, and they played well in general, and clutch in the end, even if they were on the field a lot.

I know you say that the Jets' O doesn't belong in the NFL, that Smith is a rookie QB, etc., etc. But give our guys credit for not playing down to the opponent - we have seen that happen often enough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Brady played very well. If his receivers caught half of those balls his stats would have been off the charts.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Purtrid! Putrid!

Which starts with P and rhymes with T which stands for Trouble

Trouble, Trouble

We have Trouble right here in New england City

Trouble Trouble

Offense

QB - almost have to give TB an "I" for incomplete as he only had JE to throw to, TB was a little too over the top on negaitve emotions, he did have a few badd throws of his own

RB's - C- almost the same as QB the oline for the rund was stuffed

Oline - D--- for running. B+ for passing

Wrs - A for JE, C for Dobson - the only td or was a D----, D---- for everyone else

TE - D--- - didn't help on the run - didn't get open- 0 for 0

Two things bothered me - run blocking and of course the rookie wrs'

Defense

Dline - They were also beaten on the run all nite D- If I was rooting for the jests - i would be livid at the play calling - On Pass Rush B+ They got stronger over the game- Didn't hear much from VW - but it was against a great center and the jests guards are greatly improved. They were also very careful in maintaining their lanes to prevent scrambles 

LB-s B -nothing too negative - except Spikes still seems to be missing in action They did clean up on the run - Hightower was great - We still have not heard from Collins

DB's - A_  got four TO's - Talib gets beat a little too much- Our safties were very good - the safeties will not be the Pats biggest issues by a long shot - I was right agisnt the conventional wisdom of this Board - for at least this game

Two things bothered me - the Dline against the run and Talib letting guys become free

My positives - Ibut I will no longer think about the playoffs - but go game to game to see the team jell and get better to get to the playoffs.

We  won - so everybodys grade goes up 1 grade

WE are decimated with injuries and we are still 2-0 in divisison

It was a short week - not enough time to coach up the rookie recievrs

TB understood he has to get his posse together  - he's got to build confidence

wrs= were getting open - but they gave TB bad angles to throw into - The rooks are atheletic - i still believe in them

The D - Will and always gets better over tihe season - right now they are ahead of the Offense - Haven't said that in years

The outside world is now beating on the Pats and it will continue- I won't

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Agreed with the report. Ugly win, but a win nevertheless.

I am glad our defense is finally stepping up. Lets see how they fare against Atlanta - a true litmus test.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

As a lady golfer said out loud to me after a poor golf shot..  "That was "fuggly"!  ( a shortened, and polite, way to say "f*ckin ugly").

What more can be said about that game last night?  A lot of fears about that young receiver corps came into full, and glaring, spotlights last night.  Dropping passes we have seem made in the past, routes obviously not run correctly and an offense totally lacking in effectiveness we have not seen in years.  As I said in another discussion, how can BB let this get to this point so quickly?  Granted, you could have not predicted the AH issue, Gronk being out longer than expected and to see Amendola after just ONE game be out for weeks now.  Thank God TB had Edelman, huh?  Yes, there is another W in the left column of the team record, but, what happens when the Pats play a good team?  At this point, IMHO, all of Pats nation is shuddering right now!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

TexasPat I enjoy reading your report card every week. I agree pretty much with most of this weeks report card except for the A- given the defensive line. You state Kelly and Wilfork and the LB's did a good job against the run? I didnt see that at all. I saw Kelly and Wilfork as basically invisible except for  a couple of plays. It seemed the Jets picked up 5-6 yards every carry (although the stats may not bear that out). Alos I want to see some of Jamie Collins on passing downs to see what he can do. Tired of seeing Hightower and Mayo getting torched.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Good report card.

The pats cant play any worse offensively and are still 2-0, we could easily be 0-2 so think how we'd feel then?

As discouraging as those drops by dobson were,  I am encouraged by his ability to seperate from coverage, If he catches that one deep ball, everyone would be voting him for offensive rookie of the year. I doubt he will drop 3 balls again. It was his first career game and in bad weather conditions too.

I understands tb frustration but I think his attitude has been horrible. He needs to exhibit the same patience and calm demeanor that he shows AFTER the game in interviews , during the game. Like he said no ones is walking thru that door, so why alienate the guys you are stuck with? They are rookies they must already be intimidated playing with the greatest qb of all time,he doesnt need to add to it.

If we can actually have our whole team on the field at once, amendola, gronk, vereen , we could re establish ourselves as one of the top scoring teams in the league, but thats a big if with these injury prone players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

[QUOTE]

Do you say you think Brady outplayed the D? I didn't see that at all. I could, to a degree, accept that Brady's grade could be higher, but this game was won by the D, and they played well in general, and clutch in the end, even if they were on the field a lot.

I know you say that the Jets' O doesn't belong in the NFL, that Smith is a rookie QB, etc., etc. But give our guys credit for not playing down to the opponent - we have seen that happen often enough.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say the D played badly. I said they should drop one grade. That's still about a C.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I didn't say the D played badly. I said they should drop one grade. That's still about a C.

Why?  Smith had a 27.6 passer ratiing.  That is all that seems to matter in your book.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123six. Show 123six's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

TexasPat I enjoy reading your report card every week. I agree pretty much with most of this weeks report card except for the A- given the defensive line. You state Kelly and Wilfork and the LB's did a good job against the run? I didnt see that at all. I saw Kelly and Wilfork as basically invisible except for  a couple of plays. It seemed the Jets picked up 5-6 yards every carry (although the stats may not bear that out). Alos I want to see some of Jamie Collins on passing downs to see what he can do. Tired of seeing Hightower and Mayo getting torched.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Completely agree...if the Jets ran the ball more in the second half I think the outcome would have been different.  Also, did they really need to run the Wes 'Football Man' Welker's Old Spice commercial twice last night...that was like pouring salt on the wound. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

I like the report card.  Sorry, but one of the biggest criticisms everyone used to have w/Goober and the Colts?---when he would openly degrade his teammates.  No one is perfect and catches every ball----not even Welker if we remember correctly.  I was extremely disappointed in Brady's reactions.  Not all of his passes were on the mark--he had open receivers he missed.  What the heck happened to the screen game?  Did we run one at all?  I thought the D played at a B level---I thought offense played at D level.  No run game, no push from the O-line, kept Brady clean (one sack?) for the most part, TE's non-existent, and the drops.  Look, this to me is like when your kid doesn't do the dishes right---do you get impatient and take over the duties or do you encourage them to do it properly.  Screaming at them and then ignoring them/punishing them during the game is reallllllly not smart football.  I was encouraged how many times Dobson and Thompkins broke free behind coverage--tom was not perfect in the throws on every time they were open.  And here is another thing that bugs me---3rd and 2 or 3 and Brady has a ten yard gap  and doesnt even try to leg it out---that's ridiculous.  We have a back that we are concerned w/holding onto the ball and we do a pitch out in a critical part of the game in bad weather conditions?  That is not smart football.  What the heck is up w/Boyce?  In the Giants game he was one of the better receivers---I am not even sure he got on the field last night.  Look, we have the best QB of this era playing for us---but I bet you would be hard pressed to see Montana throwing hissy fits like that.  Tom, take a marker from your hero.  And do not hand me that "he's just so competitive"----he NEVER did that to Welker and last time I checked Wes dropped some passes, very important ones. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

The Pats "D" held the Jests to just 10 points, so how bad could the run defense have been? But, being on the field for 34 minutes did seem to wear the "D' down some.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

Those grades are on the mark. The D held the fort, while the O had some growing issues...

On a side note, don't they play Tampa seven days from Sunday? And then Atlanta the following week?

RESPONSE: Right you are...my bad!

I think we can sneak by Tampa in week 3 if the D can hold serve once more, but it will not be enough in Atlanta - not by a long shot. Hopefully the return of Gronk will provide a spark on offense.

RESPONSE: The Pats should be able to handle the toothless Bucs...before tangling with the Falcons in Atlanta.

We have talked about being one-dimensional ad nauseam, but as of now the team really is. Passes are being thrown solely to wide receivers, and rushes come from RB's. There were no pass attempts to any tight ends, and if there was a pass or two to a running back I didn't notice it.

RESPONSE: It is what it is. Injuries have really taken their toll on the "O".

So while the rookies still haven't really flashed their potential, the fact New Jersey didn't have to account for neither TE's nor RB's in the passing game didn't help them.

RESPONSE: BB probably should have gotten Leon Washington involved a bit in the pasing game. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I like it Texas Pat good report. I agree w/ all your grades. At the end of the day it was a win, an ugly one but hey the Pats are 2-0. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I like it Texas Pat good report. I agree w/ all your grades. At the end of the day it was a win, an ugly one but hey the Pats are 2-0. 

The SB 42 loss taught me that style points mean nothing. The quote the late, great Al Davis, "Just win, baby!"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hey TP,

Solid recap it was an ugly win and cleary this years squad will be a work in progress on both sides of the ball. 

Offense; While it wasn't pretty, the ineffeciancy of the offense was not soley due to the rookie wideouts. It certainly didn't help that they were without Amendola, Gronk and Vereen. With Amedola and Gronk likley be out for at least another couple of weeks along with Vereven on IR. They need to get Washington more involved as the 3rd down back. In terms of game planning we've got to dance with the girl we brought so perhaps McDaniels and Belicheck need to rethink some of the route combinations and simplify the reads so that the Rookies and Brady can more readily get on the same page. 

That said, while we did have our chances to get up big the almost great catch for a TD and the subseqent missed field goal really hurt. Some credit as much as it hurts has to go to the opponents defense. The Jets D played us tough and pretty much stuffed the run all night, while they might not be what they once were. They do have a talented athletic front young front seven. Who collectively made it tough sledding inside the tackles. 

Defense: Same as it ever was....same as it ever was. Bend but don't break. It was clear that the game plan was focused on making the rookie QB beat us from the pocket. Turnovers proved to be the difference. not unlike the The cause an effect of the defensive front seven v our offense. The Jets have a pretty good o-line and Mangold pretty much took Wilfork out of the game. Nuetralizing his push up the middle. Our much maligned secondary held up pretty well. One could argue that each of our sacks were of the coverage variety where the rookie held the ball too long. I do think our defense has the ability to be very good it's hard to argue with 10 points allowed...

Special teams....Ghost is proving to be an area of concern. Big miss in a close game could've proved costly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Hey TP,

Solid recap it was an ugly win and cleary this years squad will be a work in progress on both sides of the ball. 

Offense; While it wasn't pretty, the ineffeciancy of the offense was not soley due to the rookie wideouts. It certainly didn't help that they were without Amendola, Gronk and Vereen. With Amedola and Gronk likley be out for at least another couple of weeks along with Vereven on IR. They need to get Washington more involved as the 3rd down back. In terms of game planning we've got to dance with the girl we brought so perhaps McDaniels and Belicheck need to rethink some of the route combinations and simplify the reads so that the Rookies and Brady can more readily get on the same page. 

RESPONSE: The Pats need to do a much better job of establishing the run. It appeared that their OL lost the battle in the trenches to the Jets' DL. Ridley and Blount were hit on several occasions behind the line of scrimmage.

That said, while we did have our chances to get up big the almost great catch for a TD and the subseqent missed field goal really hurt. Some credit as much as it hurts has to go to the opponents defense. The Jets D played us tough and pretty much stuffed the run all night, while they might not be what they once were. They do have a talented athletic front young front seven. Who collectively made it tough sledding inside the tackles. 

RESPONSE: Jets' rookie DT Sheldon Richardson looks like the real deal.

Defense: Same as it ever was....same as it ever was. Bend but don't break. It was clear that the game plan was focused on making the rookie QB beat us from the pocket. Turnovers proved to be the difference. not unlike the The cause an effect of the defensive front seven v our offense. The Jets have a pretty good o-line and Mangold pretty much took Wilfork out of the game. Nuetralizing his push up the middle. Our much maligned secondary held up pretty well. One could argue that each of our sacks were of the coverage variety where the rookie held the ball too long. I do think our defense has the ability to be very good it's hard to argue with 10 points allowed...

RESPONSE: In the Patriots' defensive scheme, the job of their DTs is to tie up the opposing offensive linemen, allowing the LBs to make plays. Not sure that Vince and Kelly got pushed around. Pats' DTs rarely have good stats...as the LBs get to make most of the tackles. 

Special teams....Ghost is proving to be an area of concern. Big miss in a close game could've proved costly.

RESPONSE: He badly shanked that 43 yarder at the close of the first half. Hard to say whether he just missed it, or his new holder didn't get the ball lined up for him. Seeing him win the Buffalo game with that high pressure, last second FG was a big positive. Had he missed that kick, "The Ghost" may have been out of a job. 

Sections
Shortcuts