Jets FA's + Draft =??????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Re: Jets FA's + Draft =??????

In Response to Jets FA's + Draft =??????:
    [QUOTE]We all know the Jets were built for this year and this year only. Will we see them anywhere near the playoffs next year?? I'm sure they will be pretty good but will they be able to talk the talk and walk the walk...JUST ASKING???     BECAUSE I DON'T THINK THEY WILL BE ABLE TO!!!!!!
    Posted by patsox9-8[/QUOTE]

Thats the same mess I was thinking!!! We had so many rookies/2nd yr players and we have all these picks. We have our needs/problems but Im not thinking they are anywhere near what the Jets are FACING?!?! It does seem to me they are built for just ONE season...The Jets Draft is so basic with NO 2nd round pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chung25. Show chung25's posts

i read some where they will probably have 30 million of cap space.  Is that enough to sign back their players?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

In Response to Re: Jets FA's + Draft =??????:
    [QUOTE]i read some where they will probably have 30 million of cap space.  Is that enough to sign back their players?
    Posted by chung25[/QUOTE]

30 Million in cap space...are you kidding me jets fan?? Your team will look completely different next year. Your Jets will either have Holmes or B Edwards..Who do you want? You better hope you guys pick good players in the draft because  your gonna need it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

I do not like them but they will still be very competitive.  They will cut some of the older players (Jason Taylor and Tomlinson) and marginal players (Gholston), maybe even Cromartie.  But you can bet they will sign a few big name Free Agents at skill positions.  I expect they will be just as good or even a little better.  We have to get better than they are up front because they will probably get Jenkins back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I'm not sure if the Jets will have the 30 mil in cap space as you suggest seeing how they spent lots of money on free agents over the past 3 seasons.  That being said also consider the following:

Free Agents:

Shaun Ellis - DE 
    Antonio Cromartie - CB
    Braylon Edwards - WR
    Santonio Holmes - WR
    David Harris - MLB
    Jason Taylor - OLB

Out of that entire list I think that Ellis could be brought back on the cheap ($3-4 mil/yr) as he is currently 34 yrs old and won't command a big contract elsewhere. 

Both Edwards amd Holmes will likely command somewhere around $8-9 mil /yr each; however, I don't feel that they could afford to re-sign both and therefore will opt to bring back Holmes, allowing Edwards to sign somewhere else.

Despite the talk of signing Asomugha and having this dream CB duo, at a cost of approximately $14mil/yr, that will eat up the majority of their available funds.  That being the case (also factoring in that Kyle Wilson is not yet ready to take over) means that the Jets will certainly decide to re-sign Cromartie ($7-8 mil/yr).

David Harris is a very good MLB and should draw considerable interest from other teams, the only way that they could possibly hang on to him would be to franchise him, which would cost some serious coin.  In my opinion, I think that he signs elswhere.

Jason Taylor I think will choose to retire.

Also consider that they need money to sign draft picks, plus we don't know which players will have escalatinng salaries due to rear-loaded contracts, performance clauses etc...  So basically they will only keep one of their starting WR's, & keep Cromartie.  All other major free agents will likely ne playing for other teams as they seek big money contracts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Jets FA's + Draft =??????:
    [QUOTE]i read some where they will probably have 30 million of cap space.  Is that enough to sign back their players?
    Posted by chung25[/QUOTE]

No, not even close.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chung25. Show chung25's posts

i am not a jet fan 1a2, that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to be called one... i actually hope they dont re-sign any of them.  i was just asking because i read on here that they were already at the cap limit and i thought that was true.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

In Response to Jets FA's + Draft =??????:
    [QUOTE]We all know the Jets were built for this year and this year only. Will we see them anywhere near the playoffs next year?? I'm sure they will be pretty good but will they be able to talk the talk and walk the walk...JUST ASKING???     BECAUSE I DON'T THINK THEY WILL BE ABLE TO!!!!!!
    Posted by patsox9-8[/QUOTE]

What we are not analysing is the fact that there are a great deal of players on that will come off there books and they are not afraid to spend

This year they were at approximately 136 million
    Next year they are @ 117 million
    But they have

Ladanian Tomlinson
    Jason Taylor
    Chris Jenkins
    Damion Woody
    Vernon Gholston

When all the dead weight, retreads and busts are released they will have an additional 6 million to recover in cap space...

Which means they will have roughly 20 million to spend before they re structure there current contracts to make room for the rookies and UFA's

Players they may miss who are better than a one year minimum salary and may not stick around for short money or short terms because OTHER teams have noticed there VALUE

Eric Smith
    Brodney Pool
    Kevin Coleman
    Brad Smit
    Eric Turner

With some restructuring i suspect they can afford to keep three of there current players;

-Holmes
    -Smith
    -Dave Harris

This leaves the following looking from the outside in;

Cromartie
    Ellis
    Edwards
    Clemens
    Brunnell

I think Holmes likes it there, Smith is a Jet lifer and NO ONE wants Cromartie on there team so even he may stay.

Bottom line they are coming back with less ammunition, they do not have enough picks #'s 30, 94 and 126 in the first four rounds. they lost there fifth to the Steelers, there second to the chargers...

Bottom line YES they are DONE!!!!!!!!

I had to right it all down to come to that conclusion!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

The one problem with this thread is that nobody knows if there is going to be a cap after the new labor agreement, and if there is what it is going to be.  Another uncertainty is when players become unrestricted free agents as opposed to unrestricted, as in the cases of Mankins, V .Jackson, M. McNeil, etc.
    I'd love to sit here and say that the Jets will be hamstrung next year, but at this point you just can't say that because of the uncertainty of the next labor agreement.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The chances of there being no cap again are slim.  The owners opted out of this 2006 CBA extension to specifically get more control over cost.

Many NFL teams are in the red like Carolina, Jax, Minny, Buff and SD and possibly many others.

There will be a cap.  This only confounds the mismanaged Jets small window.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8162e7da&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Since the Jets didn't host a playoff game, this only makes their failure to win it all even more hilarious.

Woody Johnson likely made little off his "investments" this year.  lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

They have to resign a ton of playmakers that they traded for. Cromartie, Holmes, Edwards. David Harris also needs a contract.

You figure that David Harris will be the best FA MLB this offseason and that will cause the Jets to overpay for him. Holmes and Edwards will demand massive contracts and I don't see how they keep both. Once again, Holmes and Edwards would be top 3 FA WR's on the market and with owners like Al Davis still out there, their price goes up. Cromartie, to my knowledge, would also want a monster contract. How they will pay all of these players, I don't know. Chances of them all returning? I would guess slim to none. Their draft is the least of my worries with only 3 picks in the top 130.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

A better question might be could the Jets go 14-2 with a difficult schedule like we had this year ?

Sections
Shortcuts