Jets get Nnamdi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Jets get Nnamdi

Happened. -_-

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: Jets get Nnamdi

I think this is jumping the gun a little bit.  Let's wait for a 2nd source.  Even this one does not say it "happened".

Even if it goes through, my view is it is not unusual at all to see 1 of your 2 starting corners out with a season-ending injury during a given year.  Just look at the Pats record for keeping both corners healthy over the last 10 years.  It's even harder when 1 of those guys hits 30.  Big gamble for the Jets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That article is also 8 hours old.

Not that I particularly care if Asomugha goes there, because he isn't a sea-change over Cromartie.

In short, they are signing like crazy to tread water ... not to improve.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Appearently this was written after Hou signed the second big CB on the market. Maybe the writer assumed that Aso was a given for the Jets after that.

Appearently, Dal has entered the Aso sweepstakes now and you know how Jones is.

It isn't over yet but I think it will come down to whether Aso wants to play with his buddies (Jets) or get another big payday (Dal, 49ers)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi:
    [QUOTE]Appearently this was written after Hou signed the second big CB on the market. Maybe the writer assumed that Aso was a given for the Jets after that. Appearently, Dal has entered the Aso sweepstakes now and you know how Jones is. It isn't over yet but I think it will come down to whether Aso wants to play with his buddies (Jets) or get another big payday (Dal, 49ers)
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Nnamdi helps Dallas a lot more than he improves the Jets. Dallas has a terrible secondary. Bringing Cromartie, who is also really good, back makes more sense than adding Nnamdi.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

where would the jets get the money for Aso? what about the bucs who need to spend a toal of 59 million i hear they were in the running. i bet they could easiuly come up with the $ for Aso and they are an up and coming young team where as the jets are an old and declining team.  If the jets sign Aso they will be investigated for cap fraud or under the table payments.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Latest report is that Aso doesn't want to leave the west coast and is trying to get just a little more money out of the Jets to make him feel better about it. However, the Jets are so desperately trying to get Aso they have asked LT to take a pay cut on his 2.5mil salary this year in an attempt to squeze every last penny they can.

To me it sounds like the 49ers have the better offer on the table and Aso doesn't want to leave the west coast. The reason he's taking so long to decide where to go is because the team he wants to go to (Jets) haven't offered him the money he wants and he is really having a hard time trying to convince himself to leave the west coast. The longer this stretches out the more I think he's going to end up in SanFran

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

We run a lot of 3-5 receiver sets.  Revis and Nnamdi can only cover 2 of them.  Brady will read who they are covering pre snap and just go to his next progression.  I actually hope the Jets break the bank to get 1 player leaving them no money to resign guys like Ellis, Pryce and Edwards.  They already released Kris Jenkins, Vernon Gholston and Jason Taylor so it appears obvious that they will be starting rookie Mohammad Wilkerson on the DL.  Their 2nd pick in the draft was massive NT Kendrick Ellis who is facing jail time from a felony assault charge.  He was supposed to go to trial July 12 but I haven't heard anything more.  I was not impressed with Wilkerson pre-draft. 

It appears the Jets will have a DL of Wilkerson, Pouha and DeVito right now.  So they may upgrade the back field but the war is often won in the trenches and I like our trenches much better.  With our improved OL and the Jet's so far declining DL, we should employ more of a running attack against them anyway.    

The Jets already lost Kellen Clemens, Damien Woody and Brad Smith.  They are at risk to lose Drew Coleman and Eric Smith.  Signing a high priced guy like Nnamdi means they will have to go cheap for the rest of their roster.  The Jets so far have done nothing to improve their offense from last year and it appears it will decline.  Rumor is they may land Randy Moss but losing Smith and Edwards along with Woody and an aging LT should mean the Jets will be less potent on offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Latest report is that Aso doesn't want to leave the west coast and is trying to get just a little more money out of the Jets to make him feel better about it. However, the Jets are so desperately trying to get Aso they have asked LT to take a pay cut on his 2.5mil salary this year in an attempt to squeze every last penny they can. To me it sounds like the 49ers have the better offer on the table and Aso doesn't want to leave the west coast. The reason he's taking so long to decide where to go is because the team he wants to go to (Jets) haven't offered him the money he wants and he is really having a hard time trying to convince himself to leave the west coast. The longer this stretches out the more I think he's going to end up in SanFran
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    If that's the case they will have to go all in on Cromartie meaning their two big signings were guys they had last year.  Where's the upgrade?

They may go after Ronnie Brown to run their wildcat with the loss of Brad Smith but we seemed to have figured Brown out now and he is injury prone along with LT.

I think the Jets will be in the hunt again but I think we have done more potentially to improve upon a 14-2 team where the Jets so far, have stood pat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]We run a lot of 3-5 receiver sets.  Revis and Nnamdi can only cover 2 of them.  Brady will read who they are covering pre snap and just go to his next progression.  I actually hope the Jets break the bank to get 1 player leaving them no money to resign guys like Ellis, Pryce and Edwards.  They already released Kris Jenkins, Vernon Gholston and Jason Taylor so it appears obvious that they will be starting rookie Mohammad Wilkerson on the DL.  Their 2nd pick in the draft was massive NT Kendrick Ellis who is facing jail time from a felony assault charge.  He was supposed to go to trial July 12 but I haven't heard anything more.  I was not impressed with Wilkerson pre-draft.  It appears the Jets will have a DL of Wilkerson, Pouha and DeVito right now.  So they may upgrade the back field but the war is often won in the trenches and I like our trenches much better.  With our improved OL and the Jet's so far declining DL, we should employ more of a running attack against them anyway.     The Jets already lost Kellen Clemens, Damien Woody and Brad Smith.  They are at risk to lose Drew Coleman and Eric Smith.  Signing a high priced guy like Nnamdi means they will have to go cheap for the rest of their roster.  The Jets so far have done nothing to improve their offense from last year and it appears it will decline.  Rumor is they may land Randy Moss but losing Smith and Edwards along with Woody and an aging LT should mean the Jets will be less potent on offense.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Good points!  Who is going to cover Gronk and Hernandez when the Patriots run 2 TE sets and at times may run 3 TE sets ....

Also with Ridley and Vareen out of the backfield for short passes from TB

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Faucet - The even better part about all of this is because Aso is stalling they are in a holding pattern signing anyone. On top of that if Aso doesn't sign with them Cro has them over a barrel with a huge paddle. He'll use Joseph's deal as the standard so it will still cost them close to 10mil if not more to get Cro

Can you imagine this off-season if they are forced to restructure deals into guarantied money into the future just to resign Cro and Holmes while losing Ellis, Taylor, Coleman, both Smiths, and Edwards.

That would be hilarious. Esp for the Jets fans who say that the cap doesn't matter

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]where would the jets get the money for Aso? what about the bucs who need to spend a toal of 59 million i hear they were in the running. i bet they could easiuly come up with the $ for Aso and they are an up and coming young team where as the jets are an old and declining team.  If the jets sign Aso they will be investigated for cap fraud or under the table payments.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

The Jets are not in terrible shape financially as Rusty would have you believe. Sanchez is $17 mil against the cap and Harris is $10 mil against the cap due to the franchise tag (similiar to Mankins). Assuming both renegoatiate $10-12 million could be had for a signing.
    Now, will Nnamdi sign for that much leaving more money on the table elsewhere?
    If he does sign for that amount, that leaves the Jets theoretically "maxed out" with out other moves such as restructure or cut LDT, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, B Thomas.
    This does leave the Jets in similiar situations year after year, and also creates numerous holes in the team this year. One could make the case that signing Nnamdi will hurt the Jets more than help on the field.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

You have all made great points. Especially the last one....adding Aso will hurt more than help the Jets this year and in years following. Again, the law of diminishing return. Aso gives you a better CB than Cro, but if a WR is shut down, he is shut down, and either Cro or Aso can do that. The rest of the defense doesn't improve and some in fact may leave, so you are basically left with a worst squad than last year, while upgrading your corner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I hear The Buccs are a sleeper team for him, fingers crossed! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I would rather he went elsewhere but inthe final analysis, it will be what it will be and if we have to play them twice a season with two supposed shut down corners then we will have to do something else and we do have to weapons to make that work.  Do the YETS safetys scare anybody? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : If that's the case they will have to go all in on Cromartie meaning their two big signings were guys they had last year.  Where's the upgrade? They may go after Ronnie Brown to run their wildcat with the loss of Brad Smith but we seemed to have figured Brown out now and he is injury prone along with LT. I think the Jets will be in the hunt again but I think we have done more potentially to improve upon a 14-2 team where the Jets so far, have stood pat.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

The Wild Cat?  Is anybody going to continue with that?  One would think the days of that should be over for sure since every team in the league now knows how to defend against it.  Sure, YETS, go ahead and waste money on Brown for that purpose.  Works for me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would assume Brown is the fall back if Nnamdi is signed as LDT w/b renegotiated or cut to create cap room

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting the Jets just released Brunell who was Sanchez's mentor. He was set to make 1.25mil this season so not a huge savings but should show you something.

Right now the only backups to Sanchez are O'Connell (who is coming off a torn muscle in his throwing arm), and McElroy (their 7th round pick).

If the release is to try to get a little extra cash for Aso it shows that they have exhausted all other options (ie restructures and paycuts) and are fighting for every penny at this point.

They might actually be bankrupting their team at this point for the few extra cents need to get Aso but that means they won't have anything room left to find replacements for their other FA loses. In the end upgrading from Cro to Aso might cause more holes and problems for the Jets making them a weaker team. Esp if Sanchez, Revis/Aso, Harris, or anyone on the OL are injured for any length of time.

I'm wondering if trading for Ocho has kind of force the Jets hand into spending beyond their means at expense of their depth

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Jim Leonhard is a good safety.  Also, David Harris is one of the league's best middle linebackers

With two outside options gone, the Jets just need to funnel to other two or three to the middle of the field like they did last year, except Cromartie could be had, whereas Revis and Asomugha completely shut down two receivers.  Our tight ends didn't exactly come through when the Jets ran their funnel-everyone-inwards strategy last year: Crumpler and Hernandez both proved they can't catch in the clutch.

Anybody who thinks that Asomugha isn't an upgrade over Cromartie is kidding themselves.

I hope this isn't true

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Revis and Aso are all world corners, but can be thrown on at the right time. It's not like they don't give up pass plays. Gronk and Hernandez were rookies last year. An extra year in the system, with added confidence and understanding of the offense should pay dividends.

Like I have said on other posts, Revis and Aso are only shut down corners if we relegate ourselves to passing more than running. Given the Jets loss on their DL, the run is somethign we need to establish early and often. We need to dominate that LOS, and given our new invigorated running attack, and OL, we should be able to do that. Healthy dose of BJGE, Vereen, Ridley and Woody, with multiple TE sets, go big. As productive as BJGE and Woody were last year, we didn't have that power back in Ridley, nor that dual threat in Vereen. I expect a different outcome this year combined with our upgrades on Defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Revis and Aso are all world corners, but can be thrown on at the right time. It's not like they don't give up pass plays. Gronk and Hernandez were rookies last year. An extra year in the system, with added confidence and understanding of the offense should pay dividends. Like I have said on other posts, Revis and Aso are only shut down corners if we relegate ourselves to passing more than running. Given the Jets loss on their DL, the run is somethign we need to establish early and often. We need to dominate that LOS, and given our new invigorated running attack, and OL, we should be able to do that. Healthy dose of BJGE, Vereen, Ridley and Woody, with multiple TE sets, go big. As productive as BJGE and Woody were last year, we didn't have that power back in Ridley, nor that dual threat in Vereen. I expect a different outcome this year combined with our upgrades on Defense.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I posted on another board that we should go after Harvey Dahl

Mankins and Dahl would be a tremendous combination

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Jim Leonhard is a good safety.  Also, David Harris is one of the league's best middle linebackers With two outside options gone, the Jets just need to funnel to other two or three to the middle of the field like they did last year, except Cromartie could be had, whereas Revis and Asomugha completely shut down two receivers.  Our tight ends didn't exactly come through when the Jets ran their funnel-everyone-inwards strategy last year: Crumpler and Hernandez both proved they can't catch in the clutch. Anybody who thinks that Asomugha isn't an upgrade over Cromartie is kidding themselves. I hope this isn't true
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

AFKAN - Hernandez was injured going into the playoff game and Gronk looked beyond tired at that point in the season. Not sure what was going on with BJGE but ramblings were that he was b@nged up.

Even if Aso and Revis can shut down Welker and Ocho (which I have no doubt they could) you still would have a healthy Hernandez, Gronk, and either Woodhead/Vereen/BJGE to deal with. Harris has a shot at covering Gronk but I don't think Leonard can cover Hernandez for long and there is no one left to cover the RB coming out of the backfield. Add to that they are losing their 2 best pass rushers last season in Taylor and Ellis and replacing them essentially with rooks and you'll going to give Brady a ton of time. Someone will eventually get open. Yes Aso is much better then Cro but how much better does having Aso over Cro make the Jets if it comes at the expense of losing their 2 better pass rushers and one of their better coverage S's (Colemen)?  People tend to forget Colemen played a critical role in pass coverage last year not to mention their other FS Smith who might also be lost in the shuffle.

The Jets are playing a very dangerous game front loading their starters with elite talent but that comes at the expense of their depth and sub players. It's very possible that they have to over use their starters this year wearing them out for the playoffs and risk injuries because they won't have the depth to give them rest during the year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : I posted on another board that we should go after Harvey Dahl Mankins and Dahl would be a tremendous combination
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Dahl would be an upgrade over Connelly, but I would rather wait for Cannon to come along rather than spend a ton on Dahl right now, especially when we might be able to use that money for Roth or another OLB. Cannon will be a monster guard once he gets healthy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Jets get Nnamdi:
    [QUOTE]Happened. -_- http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/nnamdi_asomugha_set_to_sign_with_the_new_york_jets/5797384
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

This 'report" is premature. While the Jets "are all in" to land Nnamdi, it hasn't happened yet: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/but_waiting_for_nnamdi_costs_em_FQeiUhkvqps1tZwVVc0qbL

Their main competition appears to be the 49ers, who recently released CB Nate Clemons to apparently carve up enough cap room to make their run: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/07/28/3799672/report-49ers-seek-top-cornerback.html

Should the JETS, Jets, Jets, Jets get Nnamdi, one has to wonder whether they'll have any cap room left to make any other additions. Should they fail, they'll surely resign CB Antonio Cromartie for less money...and  then likely try to shore up their WR and pass-rush areas.