Jets get Nnamdi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: Jets get Nnamdi

In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi:
    In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : AFKAN - Hernandez was injured going into the playoff game and Gronk looked beyond tired at that point in the season. Not sure what was going on with BJGE but ramblings were that he was b@nged up. Even if Aso and Revis can shut down Welker and Ocho (which I have no doubt they could) you still would have a healthy Hernandez, Gronk, and either Woodhead/Vereen/BJGE to deal with. Harris has a shot at covering Gronk but I don't think Leonard can cover Hernandez for long and there is no one left to cover the RB coming out of the backfield. Add to that they are losing their 2 best pass rushers last season in Taylor and Ellis and replacing them essentially with rooks and you'll going to give Brady a ton of time. Someone will eventually get open. Yes Aso is much better then Cro but how much better does having Aso over Cro make the Jets if it comes at the expense of losing their 2 better pass rushers and one of their better coverage S's (Colemen)?  People tend to forget Colemen played a critical role in pass coverage last year not to mention their other FS Smith who might also be lost in the shuffle. The Jets are playing a very dangerous game front loading their starters with elite talent but that comes at the expense of their depth and sub players. It's very possible that they have to over use their starters this year wearing them out for the playoffs and risk injuries because they won't have the depth to give them rest during the year.
    Posted by PatsEng

their strategy of crowding the middle of the field still applies here

with a big crowd in the middle of the field, there are no windows to find those other two or three options.  So man-coverage on the top two receivers and funnel everybody into the crowd. with Welker and Johnson locked down, you have 6 guys in the middle to cover and crowd and bump the other two or three options.  no need for man coverage there

the only real weakness i see here is their now-depleted defensive line, which could change quickly if longtime Jet Shaun Ellis and Rex Ryan favorite Kelley Gregg take discounts like everyone else is to play on that defense, which even the most ardent Pats fan must admit is now stacked.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Jim Leonhard is a good safety.  Also, David Harris is one of the league's best middle linebackers With two outside options gone, the Jets just need to funnel to other two or three to the middle of the field like they did last year, except Cromartie could be had, whereas Revis and Asomugha completely shut down two receivers.  Our tight ends didn't exactly come through when the Jets ran their funnel-everyone-inwards strategy last year: Crumpler and Hernandez both proved they can't catch in the clutch. Anybody who thinks that Asomugha isn't an upgrade over Cromartie is kidding themselves. I hope this isn't true
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

I dont think anyone is saying that Asois not an upgrade. I think that the conversation is how much of an upgrade is he? And at what expense to the restof the personel that potentially weakens the team?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : their strategy of crowding the middle of the field still applies here with a big crowd in the middle of the field, there are no windows to find those other two or three options.  So man-coverage on the top two receivers and funnel everybody into the crowd. with Welker and Johnson locked down, you have 6 guys in the middle to cover and crowd and bump the other two or three options.  no need for man coverage there the only real weakness i see here is their now-depleted defensive line, which could change quickly if longtime Jet Shaun Ellis and Rex Ryan favorite Kelley Gregg take discounts like everyone else is to play on that defense, which even the most ardent Pats fan must admit is now stacked.

They can crowd the middle all they want if the RB swings wide and Hernandez does the same they have to keep a S and Harris in the middle for Gronk. Aso and Revise are good but they can't cover a RB, Hernandez, Ocho, and Welker all at the same time. That's where players like Colemen came in handy for swing coverage and having the pass rush get to Brady before they could run the side line routes. The center is only a small part of the field if you give the QB enough time to throw the ball

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : their strategy of crowding the middle of the field still applies here with a big crowd in the middle of the field, there are no windows to find those other two or three options.  So man-coverage on the top two receivers and funnel everybody into the crowd. with Welker and Johnson locked down, you have 6 guys in the middle to cover and crowd and bump the other two or three options.  no need for man coverage there the only real weakness i see here is their now-depleted defensive line, which could change quickly if longtime Jet Shaun Ellis and Rex Ryan favorite Kelley Gregg take discounts like everyone else is to play on that defense, which even the most ardent Pats fan must admit is now stacked.

The strategy of crowding is a good one, and can be employed again especially if they have 2 lock down corners. The key to crowding is dropping your LB's and brining your safeties up as well. This is possible still, but at some point you risk being run at, especially if you can't diagnose pass vs. run given the personnel and formation the Pats line up in.
    I think being successful in the run game early keeps the Jets from dropping everyone back. They have to respect the run, and will be careful about committing everyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : The strategy of crowding is a good one, and can be employed again especially if they have 2 lock down corners. The key to crowding is dropping your LB's and brining your safeties up as well. This is possible still, but at some point you risk being run at, especially if you can't diagnose pass vs. run given the personnel and formation the Pats line up in. I think being successful in the run game early keeps the Jets from dropping everyone back. They have to respect the run, and will be careful about committing everyone.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Their offense has taken a hit too...with Edwards and Smith gone. At this stage of his career, LT doesn't  care anyone. But, I can see guys like Shaun Ellis being resigned on the cheap to round out their defense. And what a defense it could be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazything0001. Show crazything0001's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/29/report-jets-vs-cowboys-for-nnamdi/

^
    Cowboys vs. Jets for Nnamdi.

Go cowboys!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi:
    In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : They can crowd the middle all they want if the RB swings wide and Hernandez does the same they have to keep a S and Harris in the middle for Gronk. Aso and Revise are good but they can't cover a RB, Hernandez, Ocho, and Welker all at the same time. That's where players like Colemen came in handy for swing coverage and having the pass rush get to Brady before they could run the side line routes. The center is only a small part of the field if you give the QB enough time to throw the ball
    Posted by PatsEng

In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : The strategy of crowding is a good one, and can be employed again especially if they have 2 lock down corners. The key to crowding is dropping your LB's and brining your safeties up as well. This is possible still, but at some point you risk being run at, especially if you can't diagnose pass vs. run given the personnel and formation the Pats line up in. I think being successful in the run game early keeps the Jets from dropping everyone back. They have to respect the run, and will be careful about committing everyone.
    Posted by PatsLifer

The Jets' blitz is also a factor because it keeps a TE or RB attached in pass pro

The run is the key here.  It sets up the play action and keeps the 'backers and safeties more honest.  If they run bunches with big splits, someone will get open in space (trips except far from the end of the line with the wideout on the other side also split wide).

It's just a lot more difficult if the Jets get Asomugha.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

They cut O'connel as well

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

HEARD cowboys were getting in. nmandi wants to get paid. others could pay more!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

The final countdown on Nnamdi

10:58AM ET
    Nnamdi Asomugha | Raiders | Interested: Cowboys?, Buccaneers?,Jets?

UPDATE XVI: Michael Lombardi of NFL.com reports that we're down to two:

"Just updated the Nnamdi situation -- 49ers telling people they are out... Right now, Dallas and Jets, Ryan brothers are battling. Stay tuned."

---

UPDATE XV: Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com with the teaser tweet of the morning thus far:

"Got a feeling that Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum are going to be high-fiving each other real soon."

---

UPDATE XIV: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter followed up his "Mike and Mike" appearance by hitting SportsCenter, and he offered a numerical update on the chances that a certain free agent CB lands with a certain team.

Schefter pegs the chances that Nnamdi Asomugha lands with the New York Jets at "80 pecent," per a tweet from Adam Schein of Sirius NFL Radio.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to  Re: Jets get Nnamdi : In Response to Re: Jets get Nnamdi : The Jets' blitz is also a factor because it keeps a TE or RB attached in pass pro The run is the key here.  It sets up the play action and keeps the 'backers and safeties more honest.  If they run bunches with big splits, someone will get open in space (trips except far from the end of the line with the wideout on the other side also split wide). It's just a lot more difficult if the Jets get Asomugha.

This is where I see them getting stronger against most teams but weaker against the Pats. Getting Aso makes the Jets blitz packages significantly weaker. They would essentially lose their 2 best blitz DL in Taylor and Ellis as well as their blitz sub-package S's in Colemen and Smith. Colemen and Smith were vital in their blitz packages as either extra rushers or as swing covers. If you take away those 4 players I'm not sure they can launch an effective blitz against larger lines like the Pats OL. Teams with the right weapons would then chew apart the sidelines and deep routes as the middle is stuffed. No matter how good your 2 CB's are if you have to force a S and ILB to remain close to the box while using 2 more LB's/S's in blitz packages that's going to open up large holes that a #3 WR, released TE, or released RB will exploit. The best thing you could do at that point is to run a mid cross and drag Aso and Revis together (provided they are playing man which I don't see why they wouldn't) and allow your TE or RB to release wide creating a huge mismatch against their spy. They don't have the right OLB's to cover that type of release and without their swing S's if their blitz is picked up you can run wild on the Jets with draws, flat releases, and screen passes all day. Esp if they are forced to play their inexperience rooks with reports of being overly aggressive coming out of college on the DL. They are better off keeping Cro and trying to sure up the DL with some Vets then going all out for a elite CB

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

If the Jets get this guy, like I said before, their pass defense is incredibly good. That said, if you've got enough weapons on the field at one time AND you committ to running the football more, they still can be had. The Pats simply did not adjust well enough to what the Jets were doing in the playoff game. They were giving the Pats the run but they didn't start taking it, oddly enough, until they were down by 11 points in the 4th quarter. I have to believe that BB and O'Brien won't be that obtuse again.

Great pickup for the Jets if they get him (Jerry Jones has a bottomless wallet, of course, so I wouldn't rule out the Cowboys just yet--and Dallas has a MUCH better offense than New Jersey, too, so that could be a factor in Asomugha's decision). However, it doesn't make them unbeatable--it still comes down to gameplanning and execution and, more importantly, learning from previous mistakes and not repeating them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

wow were your sources wrong on this one!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Funny, nowhere do I see the Eagles even mentioned!

HA!

Take that twitter-age nonsense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

The Jets are used to playing second fiddle. Heck the haven't won a Super Bowl in over 41 years!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

This could end up being a good thing for the Jets. If they use the cash they have now to rebuild their depth it might improve their team. However, if they just get JAG's to fill the empty slots left by their FA's then they are in trouble. Should be interesting to see which direction they go. My guess is Cro's going to bend them over the barrel to resign him and they will be hard pressed to replace the rest of their FA's and will be forced to get JAG's to replace them

Sections
Shortcuts