Jets miss the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from novapatsfan. Show novapatsfan's posts

Jets miss the playoffs?

There is a real possibility this may happen...two tough road games, then at home vs. Bills. Jags or Colts may sneak in as the 2nd wild card team. The Jets loss vs. the Pats was so demoralizing they may not recover this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Jets miss the playoffs?

I don't think the Chargers are going to lose another game, so I'm looking at 10-6 as the cut-off. I'm not interested in looking up who has got tiebreakers over whom, but the notion that a 1-2 finish (which seems likely) automatically gets Green New Jersey in could be a shaky premise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Jets miss the playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think the Chargers are going to lose another game, so I'm looking at 10-6 as the cut-off. I'm not interested in looking up who has got tiebreakers over whom, but the notion that a 1-2 finish (which seems likely) automatically gets Green New Jersey in could be a shaky premise.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

You know the rest of the NFL fans probably wouldn't care what happens to the Jets if they weren't so tired of seeing and hearing Rex run his mouth all over the airwaves. Now everyone is probably rooting for them to miss just so he can go away until next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think NJ has the tiebreaker over SD due to Conf record.

It really comes down to what Indy and Jax do in the AFC South, assuming KC does their thing to close out their season.

NJ has to lose their last 3, technically. If either Detroit or Cleveland had simply sealed the deal, this wouldn't be an issue, dammit.

My prediction:

NE (AFC East 14-2)
    Pitt (AFCN 12-4 or 13-3)
    KC (AFC West, 11-5)
    Jax (AFC South 10-6)

WCs

Baltimore (11-5)

And....

NY (they have the inside track if they finish 10-6 along with SD due Conf Tiebreak) 

I smell a loss for Indy at home to Jax and one more on the road to Oakland, putting Indy out of it.

NY />SD for the last wildcard, unless NY chokes to Buffalo at home. Then, it would be SD.

My take.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Do we really care about whether or not the Jets make the playoffs?  I like to focus on the Pats and whoever they play next.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets miss the playoffs? : You know the rest of the NFL fans probably wouldn't care what happens to the Jets if they weren't so tired of seeing and hearing Rex run his mouth all over the airwaves. Now everyone is probably rooting for them to miss just so he can go away until next year.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Well . . .   that's exactly it, Evil.

Ryan chose to paint a target on his team's back and he was looking pretty good for a while, but now that the emperor has no clothes (or fewer clothes, at any rate), his plan is still working -- the attention Ryan sought is still there -- but instead of the casual fan rooting for Green New Jersey to supplant that annoying team from New England, he (or she) is jeering at the loud-mouth Jests and revelling in their fall from grace -- as we so love to do.

What you can expect to start hearing out of New Jersey any minute now is some version of "us against the world."

Count on it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets miss the playoffs? : You know the rest of the NFL fans probably wouldn't care what happens to the Jets if they weren't so tired of seeing and hearing Rex run his mouth all over the airwaves. Now everyone is probably rooting for them to miss just so he can go away until next year.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Picture if you will, airwaves without that blowhard. It could happen.  The Jets may very well miss the playoffs.  There are currenlty 9 AFC teams with a 7-6 record or better including the Pats and Jets.  Of those 9 I'm hard pressed to find one playing as poorly as the NYJ are playing and it appears that they have the toughest remaining 3 games. 

And of course, I'm late to the party since Rusty already conducted a little more in depth analysis than did I. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

I CARE... that team is a fraud... but if they do and sd and indy dont...that is actually a plus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

[QUOTE]I think NJ has the tiebreaker over SD due to Conf record. It really comes down to what Indy and Jax do in the AFC South, assuming KC does their thing to close out their season. (...)Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

in the morning i played a little with espn's playoff machine, and:

if both NY and SD finish 10-6, the 6th spot goes to San Diego.

if INDY beats JAX, and both (ny & jax) finish 10-6, JAX would take the 6th

of course, there are multiple scenarios, and a lot depends on

1) whether SD wins out (likely: SF, @CIN, @DEN)
    2) whether KC wins out (not so easy: @SL, TEN, OAK)

So NY needs to finish 11-5 to guarantee a spot

@10-6, they'd need SD or KC or JAX 's help

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Wasn't this the team that was supposed to automatically win this year.  Weren't they the faves out of the gate, after last year's end-of-season finish?  In fact, once they beat the Pats in the season opener, that was it- their confermation that they were already the best team in the division.  (Tell that to the MIA team that just beat you last week.)

The bad news is that time is running out.  The jets are getting older, whilst the (young) Patriots are getting better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets miss the playoffs? : in the morning i played a little with espn's playoff machine, and: if both NY and SD finish 10-6, the 6th spot goes to San Diego. if INDY beats JAX, and both (ny & jax) finish 10-6, JAX would take the 6th of course, there are multiple scenarios, and a lot depends on 1) whether SD wins out (likely: SF, @CIN, @DEN) 2) whether KC wins out (not so easy: @SL, TEN, OAK) So NY needs to finish 11-5 to guarantee a spot @10-6, they'd need SD or KC or JAX 's help
    Posted by mnp3a[/QUOTE]

NY has only lost to 3 AFC teams, while SD has lost to 4.

NY owns that tiebreaker, which is the first one available.  If SD sweeps and ends up 10-6, and NY does too, but loses to Pitt this week, you are correct.

Then it would come down to points scored, I believe.

So, really, if we want to root for a team to make sure Green NJ doesn't make it, it's go SD!

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]Do we really care about whether or not the Jets make the playoffs?  I like to focus on the Pats and whoever they play next.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I care. I'd love for Ryan to get what he asked for and give him another shot at the Patriots. The Pats can then humiliate them again in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets miss the playoffs? : NY has only lost to 3 AFC teams, while SD has lost to 4. NY owns that tiebreaker, which is the first one available.  If SD sweeps and ends up 10-6, and NY does too, but loses to Pitt this week, you are correct. Then it would come down to point scored, I believe. After that it's winning% of opponents.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

you are right
    if the jets beat PIT they are most likely in, even if they lose the next two
    if they lose to PIT, then they'll need to beat both BALT and BUF

so PIT is a most win for them

should be fun to watch

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The pressure is all on the "Sanchise" the next 2-3 weeks. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Jets haven't beaten a single team with a winning record outside the division.  I would rather play them again than SD.  If SD played mistake-free football, they can beat anyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I agree I'd rather see the Jests come to Foxboro than the Chargers. I don't really worry about the Colts, Manning won't get it done at Gilette in January! But even if the Jests do get in, their first game would be against either KC/SD or Indy/Jacksonville (depending on which wins their division). I don't see them beating any of those four on the road. The Ravens are the (potential) WC team that could make a move, IMO. In the end I think it will come down to NE and Pittsburgh, as they are the two teams who seem to be able to get it done consistently. But anything can happen. I'd love to see the Jests miss out just to see fat boy have to eat crow (he'd probably find the world's only 40 pound crow and have stuffing with it, too)! But there's still three more weeks to go, anything can happen. At least we don't need to rely on help for our team to make it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reloadedagent31. Show Reloadedagent31's posts

I liked all the attention that the Jets & Dolphins were receiving with all their free agent signings in the offseason. Not many envisioned this scenario: The Patriots actually earning the division and potentially a playoff bye while the Jets/Miami fight for a playoff spot. New England was always it's most dangerous when it slid under the radar. They decided to resign their own free agents during the offseason. Two of which may keep the team competitive until at least 2014 in Brady & Wilfork. Free agents signed like Danny Woodhead, Alge Crumpler, Gerard Warren & Deion Branch aren't exactly household names. Inconsistent playmakers such as Randy Moss, Laurence Maroney & Ben Watson are either traded or not resigned. A cornerback is drafted in the 1st round. Other significant contributors have been: An undrafted cornerback (2nd season), two inside linebackers (rookie/3rd season), a safety (2nd season), two tight ends (rookies), a right tackle (2nd season), two running backs (3rd season), a kick returner (2nd season), a punt returner (2nd season) & a punter (rookie), They have made significant moves without big splashes. They are finally winning on the road. This is the year that many thought the Patriots would fight for 2nd in the division. In this up/down year, New England may have found the right mix in a Superbowl contender.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Nobody mentioned the Fins who could finish 10-6 , next 2 games are at Lions and Bills at home, followed by coming to Gillete, which could be a preseason game for Pats who could already have wrapped up the 1 seed in week 15..... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

I didn't really care whether they made it or not until a few hours ago. That was when I read their special teams coach's comments today when he was questioned about the tripping and the player wall....and then decides to call out the Patriots. Seriously....how much more pathetic can an oganization be?

I now really want the Jets to make the playoffs, and I want them to make it through the wild card, so they have to travel to Foxboro for the divisional round.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't really care whether they made it or not until a few hours ago. That was when I read their special teams coach's comments today when he was questioned about the tripping and the player wall....and then decides to call out the Patriots. Seriously....how much more pathetic can an oganization be? I now really want the Jets to make the playoffs, and I want them to make it through the wild card, so they have to travel to Foxboro for the divisional round.
    Posted by tmot1234[/QUOTE]

Then again...continuing to watch them crumble week by week and miss the playoffs all together could be fun to watch too...now that I think about it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

It's a very real possibility that the Jets miss the playoffs.  I mean, they're the Jets.  Remember in 2008 they started 8-3 with Brett Favurah as their QB and finished the season 9-7?  It'd be funnier to see them start the season 9-2 and finish 9-7.  I would love it.

But for real, the Steelers and Bears on the road?  I feel like those are losses but the last game at home against the Bills seems like a win but you never know.  Their confidence could be shot by that point.  Maybe Rex can order some of his guys on the sideline to trip Stevie Johnson coming out of the tunnel and hope he lands on Ryan Fitzpatrick's knee.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

agree:

NE (AFC East 14-2)
    Pitt (AFCN 12-4 or 13-3)
    KC (AFC West, 11-5)
    Jax (AFC South 10-6)

WCs

Baltimore (11-5)
    NY (10-6)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

[QUOTE]The Jets haven't beaten a single team with a winning record outside the division.  I would rather play them again than SD.  If SD played mistake-free football, they can beat anyone.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

The Chargers couldn't beat the Patriots in NE in January in their own dreams. They choke in the big moment every year, like Manning. You're kidding right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]The Jets haven't beaten a single team with a winning record outside the division.  I would rather play them again than SD.  If SD played mistake-free football, they can beat anyone.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Odds of this happening with Norv Turner as head coach are pretty slim, but I see your point.  It's been 13 weeks since the Jets beat a team with a winning record.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets miss the playoffs? : Well . . .   that's exactly it, Evil. Ryan chose to paint a target on his team's back and he was looking pretty good for a while, but now that the emperor has no clothes (or fewer clothes, at any rate), his plan is still working -- the attention Ryan sought is still there -- but instead of the casual fan rooting for Green New Jersey to supplant that annoying team from New England, he (or she) is jeering at the loud-mouth Jests and revelling in their fall from grace -- as we so love to do. What you can expect to start hearing out of New Jersey any minute now is some version of "us against the world." Count on it.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

please don't use that analogy when discussing rex ryan. It is a bad mental picture.

Sections
Shortcuts