Jets/Patriots Game Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scumion. Show Scumion's posts

Re: Jets/Patriots Game Thread

Longest two weeks ever!

Was our last game really the Miami game? Seems like that was a year ago.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Welcome to Gillette Stadium

January, 16, 2011
    By Mike Rodak

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Welcome to Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots host the Jets in an AFC Divisional playoff game (CBS, 4:30 p.m. ET).

Weather conditions. Skies are clear and temperatures are expected to remain around freezing, with a high of 31 degrees, according to Weather.com. Temperatures will fall into the high 20s by kickoff, with sustained winds around 15 mph and gusts up to 30 mph.

Leavy gets the call. Bill Leavy, an NFL official since 1995, will be the referee for this afternoon's game. Leavy officiated the Patriots' matchup with the Ravens in Week 6, where the Patriots were flagged nine times for 78 yards.

ESPN roll call. ESPN will have you covered throughout the day. In addition to ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss, Jackie MacMullan, Steven Krasner, and Mike Rodak, we will have ESPN.com's John Clayton and ESPN.com AFC East blogger Tim Graham in the press box, as well as ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini, Ian O'Connor, and Jane McManus. On the TV end, ESPN's Suzy Kolber and Sal Paolantonio are also on hand.

International feel in a full press box. The press box here at Gillette Stadium is jam-packed, with overflow seating provided for the increased media presence today. International reporters on hand include those from Fuji TV Network (Tokyo), Kyodo News (Tokyo), and Tokyo Chunichi Sports.

National anthem. Today's national anthem will be performed by Sully Erna.

A tidbit from the Elias Sports Bureau. The Patriots and Jets will face off in the Divisional Playoff after they had a game during the regular season that was decided by 42 points (the Patriots won 45-3 over the Jets in Week 13). Only two teams in NFL history recorded a victory by 40 or more points against an opponent that they faced in the postseason immediately following, and both posted a big victory in the playoffs as well: Vikings over Browns (27–7 in Jan. 1970) and Redskins over Lions (41–10 in Jan. 1992). In the NFC, the Seahawks and Bears meet in a rematch of Seattle’s Week 6 win at Soldier Field. The Bears were 0-12 on 3rd down in that game, the 2nd-most 3rd-down attempts without a conversion by any team in the 2010 regular season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

wow - today is FINALLY here !! last week was painful !

Lets go Patriots !!!

I am hoping for a 28-6 halftime lead for us !! here is my wishlist..

Pats win the toss and defer.
    hold the Jests to a field goal (0-3)
    Brady throws a touchdown to Welker (who is defended by the Crow) (7-3)
    hold the Jests to another field goal (7-6)
    Brady to Gronk another TD (14-6)
    shut the Jests - no points (14-6)
    law firm touchdown (21-6)
    shot the Jests - no points (21-6)
    Brady to Branch another TD (28-6)

would't that be sweet.

and then come back from halftime, with Edelman returning the kickoff for.... (35-6) !

and I would be the happiest guy on earth today !

Too greedy ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2011/01/16/patriots-jets-predictions-anyone-playoff-grudge-match-edition-%e2%80%a6-and-links/

Patriots-Jets predictions, anyone? (Playoff grudge match edition and links)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

I am wearing my gear to channel as much positive energy as I can from 3000 miles away. Diffferent hats if they need different energy. Go Pats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Jets/Patriots Game Thread:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets/Patriots Game Thread : As embarrassing as it to admit lately, the Miami Dolphins. Maybe we'll be a force in the AFC East soon too. It's been tough since Don Shula hasn't been our coach. Today, I'm a New England fan. In fact, I hope they win the AFC championship as well. They are, after all, the most legitimate team in the AFC.
    Posted by Ironforce[/QUOTE]

Did your entire front office get a package deal on lobotomies? Childress as your head coach?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Just heard on NFL network that Ryan brought it an ex-Jets player who was paralyzed and he supposably really lit a fire under the guys. Feel bad what happened to this guy but all the different emotions running through that locker room will be their downfall, plus the Jets just aren't that good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ironforce. Show Ironforce's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jets/Patriots Game Thread : Did your entire front office get a package deal on lobotomies? Childress as your head coach?
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]
    At this time, it doesn't appear that the Phins are going to hire Brad Childress as their offensive coordinator.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]Just heard on NFL network that Ryan brought it an ex-Jets player who was paralyzed and he supposably really lit a fire under the guys. Feel bad what happened to this guy but all the different emotions running through that locker room will be their downfall, plus the Jets just aren't that good.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Byrd

Dennis Byrd gives motivational speech

By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- On the eve of their biggest game since Super Bowl III -- or so Rex Ryan called it -- the New York Jets received a motivational speech from one of the most beloved and tragic figures in franchise history.

Former defensive lineman Dennis Byrd, whose promising career came to a nightmarish end in 1992 when he suffered a broken neck in a game against the Kansas City Chiefs, delivered a moving address to the Jets Saturday night at their team hotel.

"I just heard the most inspirational message of my life from former Jet Dennis Byrd," wide receiver Braylon Edwards tweeted.

In a follow-up tweet, Edwards added, "As God is my witness, I have never been more ready to perform in my life. Dennis Byrd, I respect, salute and honor you."

Byrd, reached Sunday morning by ESPNNewYork.com, said he didn't want to detract attention from the team by talking about himself or his speech. But Byrd wanted this out about his respect for Rex Ryan, a fellow native Oklahoman: "When I first saw the Jets had hired Rex Ryan ... I didn't know how many games the Jets would win, but I knew they weren't going to lose any fights."

Byrd, 44, who lives with his family in Owasso, Okla., will attend Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game, a team spokesman said.

The Jets meet the New England Patriots in a grudge match that will be rife with emotion. The Jets were embarrassed last month by the Patriots, 45-3, fueling a war of words in recent days that started with Ryan and escalated when cornerback Antonio Cromartie made profane comments about quarterback Tom Brady.

Ordinarily, Ryan delivers the Saturday-night speech to the team, and they're usually quite memorable. This time, the outspoken ceded his podium to Byrd, who spoke eloquently of how his career was cut short and how he always dreamed of playing in a game of this magnitude, according to people in the room.

It was an emotional week for the Jets, but it hit a fever pitch with the arrival of Byrd, who has been living a quiet life in his native Oklahoma. It's believed this was his first team function in more than 15 years. In the years following his injury, which left him temporarily paralyzed, Byrd drifted away from the spotlight, cutting off ties with former teammates and team officials.

Byrd's injury gripped New York for several weeks late in the 1992 season, when he was front-page news. Three months after the injury, which occurred when he collided with teammate Scott Mersereau, Byrd walked on crutches into an emotional news conference at his Manhattan hospital.

The following season, the Jets honored Byrd on opening day, when he walked on his own to midfield for the coin toss. He was presented with the Most Inspiration Player Award, which was immediately renamed the Dennis Byrd Award. It's presented annually to a player on the team, as voted by the players.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson was this season's recipient.

No Jets player has worn No. 90 since Byrd, although it hasn't been formally retired.

Byrd worked one season as a CBS analyst, and later as an assistant high school coach, before leaving the game. He wrote a book, which led to a TV movie about his life. In recent years, he has traveled the country as a motivational speaker.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

[QUOTE]Something we haven't seen in a while, Saftey Blitz. Expect something out of the ordinary today by the Pats.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    Funny, I've been thinking the same thing; specifically, 1) run blitzes up the gaps, and 2) Chung over the top (a la Polomalu) trying to time the hand-off for a strip.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

From waht I saw on Fox, the weather looks pretty nice today. looks like s it gonna be warmer there, than here

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

omg Rex Ryan on NFL Network is still talking up his defense. Saying that he thinks their defense will be the best in the NFL because their year isn't over yet, hahaha. Does he take all the credit or what, at least he also takes the blame, but are his players accountable for anything except following up his trash talk?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Interesting.....

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/Danny-Woodhead/042efd0d-a1b3-4be7-af33-c09ecd203059

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Some comedian imitating Trump called the game the Hoody vs. Footy game

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Marshall Faulk picks the Jets because......"Brady has a bad day" that is his reasoning? Brady could get sacked 3 times and even throw an INT and we would still win this game. Brady isn't going to somehow meltdown so bad he causes the Pats to be unable to win the game. I really hope they take this hack off TV next year, he has nothing insightful to say except play along with that cocky over the top attitude every ex-football "analyst" has on that network.

Also, here is a stupid article from our friends at NESN

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

shalise manza young shalisemyoung getting some questions on Branch, Hernandez, etc - inactives don't officially come out til 3p...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

^ Branch and Hernandez will both play. I could see branch being limited and only being used when the Jets defense breaks down and he can be targeted for a long pass. But I expect Hernandez to get involved creating match ups that favor the Pats all game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blgrane. Show Blgrane's posts

[QUOTE] 
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Good post Rocky..btw like that avatar !!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from calchu7. Show calchu7's posts

I guess everyone is just re-iterating what Reggie Miller said: "It's only a rivalry if you beat the other team."

With that being said I should re-word the title of this thread to the most despised Patriot opponent.

IMHO it would be the Jets.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

This guy should have seen a therapist!

Albert Breer AlbertBreer

Back up from downstairs ... some things that we talked about on GameDay Morning that I can now pass along ...
    Tomlinson told me his memory of 2006 divisional playoffs, and Patriots dancing on Charger logo remains w/him

Tomlinson: "This is the dynasty. These are the Patriots. If you can't get ready for this one, you shouldn't play football at all."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tom Brady leading the Pats on the field is on GameDay cover today.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Albert Breer AlbertBreer 

2) Don't expect Jets to go no-huddle, shotgun out of gate again. Brandon Moore: "When we play well, we run the ball, play-action ...  "... get ball out of Mark's hands. That's what we've been successful with. I think we'll get back to that this week."
    3) Asked Woodhead if there's a method to Rex's bluster. He was coy, said, "There's meaning behind anything anyone says." 

4) Put it this way -- I've heard from folks, Brady's very aware of Cro's comments. And if 12 gets 1 on him, there might be some extra coming

5) Talked w/Brady, he said significant game to look back at is Baltimore last Jan. Showed Pats needed much improvment. Today's a milepost.

6) Asked Cro abt comments, again, he said: "If u need motivation, well, there it is. I don't really care...I'm not gonna take anything back"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gumby1958. Show gumby1958's posts

Our Brady, who art in Foxborough, hallowed be thy arm. Thy bowl will come, it will be won, in Dallas as it is in New England. Give us this Sunday, our weekly win, and give us many touchdown passes, but do not let the Jets pass against us. Lead us not into frustration, but deliver us to the valley of the sun. For thine is the MVP, the best of the AFC, and the glory of the Patriots, now and forever, AMEN! GO PATS GO!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

If the Jets want to run the ball let them, they lost their right tackle and we have stopped better run teams. If they want to rely on Sanchez's arm let them because it will fail in the end. The Jets have to come up with a real game plan, it seems like they think they can just come in and run the ball as if that will set up their whole offense. As far as the Jets are concerned they don't even know what works against this Pats team and will have to spend at least a quarter, if not two, trying to figure out how to get in a groove.