JETS PRIMED TO LOSE NEXT 2: WILL WE SEE BRUNELL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

JETS PRIMED TO LOSE NEXT 2: WILL WE SEE BRUNELL?

its an absolute pleasure to see the jet fakers getting theirs... they may not even make the playoffs. their season really will come down to beating the mighty BILLS in the last game of the season. it gets even better for i see the jets having to come down to new england after the wild card to get another humiliating beatdown that will have rexy choking on more of his words. 

their next 2 games are versus the steelers in pittsburgh (good luck with that) and a ticked off refocused chicago. sanchez hates playing in the cold. you dont get much colder than those 2 cities in late december and wind. i see brunell playing most of the second half next week and relieving again in chicago as the jets get blitzed in another blowout! 

couldnt have happened to a better team. wrote so many checks their game could not cover! cant talk one's way to a ring!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: JETS PRIMED TO LOSE NEXT 2: WILL WE SEE BRUNELL?

There's no upside to benching Sanchez now.

Green New Jersey went all-in on this kid, moving up in the draft to pluck him away from whoever it was they thought wanted him, and he should be the guy until he's not the guy. If you sit The Sanchize now, what are you telling him?

"Great work against the dregs of the league, kid . . .  but we don't think you can handle the heavy lifting."

Not a very solid message to a guy whose confidence could only charitably be desrcibed as shaky. The Jests fooled themselves by dumbing down the offense and relying on a dominant running game (and the charity of both the Colts and the Bungles) to get somewhere they had no business being last season. They let two key components of that running attack float away in the off-season, and the defense -- while still quite stout -- now apparently needs to shut teams out completely in order for Green New Jersey to have any chance to win at all.

Sanchez has not shown an ability to lead against quality oppostion down the stretch, but he's never going to find his niche -- if, in fact, he has one -- unless he's allowed to sink or swim in the deep water of December and the playoffs.

It's easy to rag on the Jests now that they've hit the bump in the road most of us expected, but they'll have to go completely to pieces to miss the playoffs, and whatever happens, they've got to find out if Sanchez can deal with real life in the NFL or if he's going to spit the bit.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Agree with P-Mike. Benching him now does more harm than good. It basically says "we don't trust you".

Jets rolled the dice and lost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

some of you need to stop seeing the world thtu green-colored glasses. jests have a simple choice: sink with sanchez or give yourself a real shot by installing brunell. so its best to risk the playoffs to give sansucks the chance to "develop". u kidding me? perhaps ryan will consider burying sansucks this week too! 

u dont think its WORSE for him to keep getting shell-shocked and traumatized versus the pittsburghs and chicagos. u kidding me? i say you come right back to sanchez in playoffs or NEXT year in a make or break year for him!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Sanchez would have to stink as bad as he has all through next season before New Jersey sits him down.

The Jets are heavy into this kid, trading up, and essentially giving him the team and buying him toys like Holmes, Edwards, and LT, which weren't prospects, but were now investments.

If they sit him, they are sitting millions of dollars, and likely for good. That takes more than two subpar seasons. That takes three and a more viable option on the FA market for winning now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: JETS PRIMED TO LOSE NEXT 2: WILL WE SEE BRUNELL?:
    Sanchez would have to stink as bad as he has all through next season before New Jersey sits him down. The Jets are heavy into this kid, trading up, and essentially giving him the team and buying him toys like Holmes, Edwards, and LT, which weren't prospects, but were now  investments. If they sit him, they are sitting millions of dollars, and likely for good. That takes more than two subpar seasons. That takes three and  a more viable option on the FA market for winning now. 
    Posted by zbellino

To me, this is the crux of the biscuit, right here^.

You pull the kid now, after almost two years and the incredible investment -- not just in him, but in this team that is clearly built for him -- what rationale do you use to ever bring him back?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Who woulda thunk that Pete Carroll was right about Sancheeze

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Based on what I saw out of Chicago yesterday I think the Jets could go in there and win a game like 9 to 3.  Not sure Chicago isnt about to free fall as well.  Cutler can go bad too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No, they will not bench Sanchez.  Rex is smart enough to know this would do more harm then good.  Plus, they are still in it to make it to the playoffs.  I really don't see how they could miss the playoffs. 

I have been playing around with this little gem and things are in the Jets favor.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

However, the way it looks now they will be one and done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

There's no upside to benching Sanchez now. Green New Jersey went all-in on this kid, moving up in the draft to pluck him away from whoever it was they thought wanted him, and he should be the guy until he's not the guy. If you sit The Sanchize now, what are you telling him? "Great work against the dregs of the league, kid . . .  but we don't think you can handle the heavy lifting." Not a very solid message to a guy whose confidence could only charitably be desrcibed as shaky. The Jests fooled themselves by dumbing down the offense and relying on a dominant running game (and the charity of both the Colts and the Bungles) to get somewhere they had no business being last season. They let two key components of that running attack float away in the off-season, and the defense -- while still quite stout -- now apparently needs to shut teams out completely in order for Green New Jersey to have any chance to win at all. Sanchez has not shown an ability to lead against quality oppostion down the stretch, but he's never going to find his niche -- if, in fact, he has one -- unless he's allowed to sink or swim in the deep water of December and the playoffs. It's easy to rag on the Jests now that they've hit the bump in the road most of us expected, but they'll have to go completely to pieces to miss the playoffs, and whatever happens, they've got to find out if Sanchez can deal with real life in the NFL or if he's going to spit the bit.
    Posted by p-mike

It's too early to judge Sanchez, and he has lead a number of last minute come backs this season which readers seem to forget. A QB who lacks confidence doesn't lead last minute come backs as Sanchez has this season. He's a young QB, still has a lot to learn which only comes with experience. On any given week any QB can get rattled which Sanchez has, but he does have a bright future ahead, but hopefully not against the Pats.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

who are the Jets?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Even if they Do make the playoffs, Does anyone really think they could beat BAL in the wildcard Game???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

Even if they Do make the playoffs, Does anyone really think they could beat BAL in the wildcard Game???
    Posted by R3S1N20
    they won't play baltimore in the wildcard game. they would play either KC or jacksonville, ads of now. wild cards no longer play each other. pats and pittsburgh, as of now, have the byes! pats likely would play jets after that if they (jets) happen to win their wild card round.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from farpost. Show farpost's posts

who are the Jets?
    Posted by slicksteve38

They are who we thought they were.  You want to crown them, go ahead and crown them.    Oh wait, there just a team in freefall.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crabcakesandfootball. Show Crabcakesandfootball's posts

Posted by R3S1N20

If the playoffs were to start right now the Jets would play at Jax.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: JETS PRIMED TO LOSE NEXT 2: WILL WE SEE BRUNELL? : They are who we thought they were.  You want to crown them, go ahead and crown them.    Oh wait, there just a team in freefall.
    Posted by farpost

LOL!! Nice!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Sanchez would have to stink as bad as he has all through next season before New Jersey sits him down. The Jets are heavy into this kid, trading up, and essentially giving him the team and buying him toys like Holmes, Edwards, and LT, which weren't prospects, but were now  investments. If they sit him, they are sitting millions of dollars, and likely for good. That takes more than two subpar seasons. That takes three and  a more viable option on the FA market for winning now. 
    Posted by zbellino

Hey ZB,

Your description is a history lesson of the Leinart/Warner situation in Arizona...the main difference, of course, being that Warner still had a lot of great quarterbacking in him (but, truthfully, Arizona didn't know that at the time; they just knew Leinart wasn't grasping being an NFL QB). To Arizona's credit, they realized their mistake with Leinart early on and wrote it off, but with Warner's retirement, that organization has gone into a tailspin, and great talent like Larry Fitzgerald is wasting away.

The thing that NY has that Arizona doesn't is money. They can afford to cut Sanchez outright if they didn't think he would ever catch on (a la Leinart)  and draft another QB next year. They would only be out the considerable signing bonus paid to Sanchez, but they can afford that, particularly if a rookie cap comes out of the next CBA. So while they have made a considerble investment in Sanchez, it does not have to be for the long haul.

This is where teams could really learn a thing or two from Belichick. People like to bash his bad draft choices; I look at it as I am glad we have a coach who has the ballzz to cut guys who can't cut it, rather that carrying them on the roster simply because of their draft position.

Mark Sanchez is an NFL caliber QB, but he will unlikely ever be a Super Bowl quality QB. To be honest with you, I would not trade him for Hoyer straight up, even if money were no concern.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: JETS PRIMED TO LOSE NEXT 2: WILL WE SEE BRUNELL? : Hey ZB, Your description is a history lesson of the Leinart/Warner situation in Arizona...the main difference, of course, being that Warner still had a lot of great quarterbacking in him (but, truthfully, Arizona didn't know that at the time; they just knew Leinart wasn't grasping being an NFL QB). To Arizona's credit, they realized their mistake with Leinart early on and wrote it off, but with Warner's retirement, that organization has gone into a tailspin, and great talent like Larry Fitzgerald is wasting away. The thing that NY has that Arizona doesn't is money. They can afford to cut Sanchez outright if they didn't think he would ever catch on (a la Leinart)  and draft another QB next year. They would only be out the considerable signing bonus paid to Sanchez, but they can afford that, particularly if a rookie cap comes out of the next CBA. So while they have made a considerble investment in Sanchez, it does not have to be for the long haul. This is where teams could really learn a thing or two from Belichick. People like to bash his bad draft choices; I look at it as I am glad we have a coach who has the ballzz to cut guys who can't cut it, rather that carrying them on the roster simply because of their draft position. Mark Sanchez is an NFL caliber QB, but he will unlikely ever be a Super Bowl quality QB. To be honest with you, I would not trade him for Hoyer straight up, even if money were no concern.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4
    ur making my point. AZ should have benched leinart but kept him around this year. they should have not had gone to derek andersen til they had given him a legit regular season shot. they should have kept him, he's BETTER than derek andersen! bringing in kurt warner was perfect for leinart as could brunell for the rest of this one year. next off-season u could restart the experiment and give him another shot with another vet or a brunell right there again if he falls off the wagon in december. if that worse case happens, u draft a younger stud qb and cut bait  or trade sanchez to an indoor dome type team preferably on the west coast so he is not encountering the cold too much. again, y was that home work not done in the first place? USC dude from CA, u automatically assume he would perform in the cold or wind?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Better than that - get your broom, baby!  The J-E-T-S are going to be swept out and lose out their season.  Three L's and back to TV filming for next year's show "The Biggest Losers"!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Agree with P-Mike. Benching him now does more harm than good. It basically says "we don't trust you". Jets rolled the dice and lost.
    Posted by BBReigns

Fat Rex has got to be the worst kind of coach a young QB could have. He's put enormous pressure on Sanchez from day one with his dumbazz SB predictions. It's like he expected the kid to be Brady and Montana combined the second he stepped on the field. Now he's throwing him under the bus. Sanchez's skills were iffy to begin with but with Rex's 'help' he'll probably be out of football in 2 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I seriously doubt they'll bench Sanchise. While he's capable of throwing three picks in a single game he has to learn to win down the stretch. I would also say that ownership and by extension Tanenbaum has invested too much in the kid to have him NOT be the QB going forward. If he sinks the NY Jets brass and the NY media will say "he's still learning" and he won't be entirely written off. Sanchez is, like it or not, the face of the Jets franchise going forward. I would also say that if they bring in a guy like Brunell, that the move would be perceived as giving in and admitting that the QB is not good enough to win important games. Couple that with the fact that it is only he's second year and I doubt Sanchez will be benched.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Just as an addendum to some of the points that have already been made:

A lot of us here have made the point that Green New Jersey is a team that appears to be designed to "win now," and that major changes are in store, yet again, for next season. Our resident Jests trolls (who seem to be on sabbatical for some reason) have disputed this notion, and I'm not here to rehash that argument. But if Ryan is willing to come out and admit that his team isn't built for the long haul, and that he's got a short (extremely short) window of opportunity here, then maybe you Bring Brunell in, take your shot and let the future worry about the future.

But what we've seen of Rex Ryan tells me he won't do that.

He's talked himself into a corner and the only way for him to save face is to send his boy out there to fall on his sword and chalk it up to "development."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I seriously doubt they'll bench Sanchise. While he's capable of throwing three picks in a single game he has to learn to win down the stretch. I would also say that ownership and by extension Tanenbaum has invested too much in the kid to have him NOT be the QB going forward. If he sinks the NY Jets brass and the NY media will say "he's still learning" and he won't be entirely written off. Sanchez is, like it or not, the face of the Jets franchise going forward. I would also say that if they bring in a guy like Brunell, that the move would be perceived as giving in and admitting that the QB is not good enough to win important games. Couple that with the fact that it is only he's second year and I doubt Sanchez will be benched.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

That makes Rex look like an even bigger idiot. If your young QB's confidence is shaky how does announcing to the world that you were considering benching him help? Is Rex dumb and egotistical enough to think that his big mouth is helping Sanchez's developement or is he just trying to protect his own job?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: JETS PRIMED TO LOSE NEXT 2: WILL WE SEE BRUNELL? : Fat Rex has got to be the worst kind of coach a young QB could have. He's put enormous pressure on Sanchez from day one with his dumbazz SB predictions. It's like he expected the kid to be Brady and Montana combined the second he stepped on the field. Now he's throwing him under the bus. Sanchez's skills were iffy to begin with but with Rex's 'help' he'll probably be out of football in 2 years.
    Posted by Evil2010

Maybe.

The thing is, the Jets drafts have been so poor or mediocre in recent years, they end up trying to justify their plans to the fans by keeping players on the roster longer than they should.

Look at Gholston.  Look at Clowney.

Look how they overrate any player they have on the roster who is mediocre.  Cotchery, Keller, Eric Smith, Matt Slauson, Brandon Moore, etc.  These players are all average players, who are either overrated or overpaid.

They have to  pretend that what their organizational philosophy is, actually works and is a real, legit plan to try to win a SB.

Funny how they even overrate D'Bustashaw Ferguson. Sanchez spends an awful lot of time running for his life with pocket breakdowns on his blind side, doesn't he?

Is Ferguson that good, or is it how the Jets front office tries to prop him up to justify that draft pick?

I am not saying he is bad, but is he really the best OL in football reflective of the highest salary at the position?

Sections
Shortcuts