Jets - Ravens Jets defense way better than results - offense way worse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

Jets - Ravens Jets defense way better than results - offense way worse

The Jets defense forced 3 turnovers. Special teams and defense - incredible punter - gave the Jets a combined 250 yards in field position advantage. Those 250 yards do not show up in any game stat.

Defense had to play Baltimore for essentially 6 quarters.

Still, that offense, with the 250 yards that should have been worth 17-24 points, did nothing.

If turnovers are even or in the Pats favor, Brady will win with 1 TD.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Jets - Ravens Jets defense way better than results - offense way worse

What are you  talking about?  The Ravens had a paltry 33 yards of punt and kick returns.  The Jets averaged a very good 45.7 yards per punt. The Jets defense had a long field to defend their drives.

If you're suggesting the 244 yards the Ravens punted is somehow meaningful despite the fact that the Jets punter netted 274 yard your crazy.  The idea that the length of the punts equates to some kind of advantage for a team is flawed.  If your team never punted they would net zero punt yard and most definitely win the game because a punt signifies a failure to score a TD or field goal and no punt usually indicates the team scored.

The punting margin in the NE-Cin game was far greater(than 30 yards in the NYJ-BAL game).  CIN punter for 139 and NE for 43.  As usual in the NFL the team with the most punt yards is the team with the most punts and therefore the losing team.

I suspect you are looking for a silver lining in the Jets loss, but this is not it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

I got stuck on 6 quarters. I watched the whole game and only saw 4 qtrs. maybe this is part of that 18 game schedule.. maybe neali meant that when the jets O was given the ball at the raven's 11yd, 37yd, 31yd and 35 yd lines and couldn't do more than 6 pts that it made it seem like the game was 6 qtrs long. Just trying to decifer this.. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatamess. Show whatamess's posts

Jets have a decent D. Dirty Sancheez isn't good and he'll throw some picks.

On the other hand, wasn't very impressed with Patriots secondary in pre-season. They looked alot better last week (against Ocho and TO, 2 top receivers).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Jets run D is amazing, their pass D blows. 

Joe Flacco threw for 245 yards and that's without adding the countless penalties that would've added to his yard total. If Joe Flacco can throw for 245, Tom can get over 300 yards. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

Patriots look great in man coverage. They did in Week 1 and Week 2 in preseason and then in last week.

Guyton's INT came in on man coverage.  BB played mostly man on Sunday. When I said BB could use Guyton as a Roman Phifer type, I wasn't kidding.

Keep it simple. Use their speed and athleticism and scheme from that.

All of the issues so far with the pass D is when their zone coverage is outcalled (meaning the opponent's offensive coordinator had a good play call), or they had too many people playing who aren't used to playing with one another in zone and they failed to execute, OR a combination of both. This latter one is what happened in the Rams game.

I'd be more concerned if they couldn't cover and were slow.   Once that zone clicks, watch out, folks.  Expect turnovers like we used to see out of nowhere in the dynasty years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

How do the Jets stop the run?  Who do they have in their front 7 other than Jenkins?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Well some other things to take away from the last game is the Jets only twice started in their own territory and advanced to the Ravens side of the field. One of those two was a broken play by Smith that started on their 40. The amount of time they had the ball in Ravens territory and to only come away with 9 points just shows how pathetic this offense is.

Gang green is down and the Pats need to not do them any favors and continue to keep them down.

In next weeks game I don't see the Pats turning the ball over like the Ravens, plus we'll have much better special teams play. My prediction Pats win 24-13.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I take the "6 quarters" description to mean that the Ravens hung 20 first downs on the Jets defense, keeping the Jets defense on the field for 39 minutes of the game, and the Jets only made 6 first downs the whole game.  And on top of this the Jets' defense only get 5 and a half days to rest up for the Patriots.

I give the Jets defense due credit for causing fumbles.  Notice how Maroney got traded away this week?

Their strength is stopping the run.  Baltimore tried 35 plunges and gained 1.4 yards per carry.  Baltimore fumbled the ball twice and New York fumbled 3 times, but New York only lost one fumble.

New York was only OK against the pass.  Baltimore had 2 sacks, 1 interception and 20 for 38 passing with a 5.8 yards per pass play.  Revis Island is a great cornerback.  The problem is that Cromartie isn't that good.  Worse, Baltimore regularly put 3 wideouts onto the field and that forced Ryan to put Shrimpy-Arms Wilson on the field, and the rookie was of no use whatsoever to the defense.   Next Sunday's forecast is for Moss to be the designated decoy running down the field, and then Welker, Tate, Hernandez and maybe Edelman get to wear big flashing neon "Hi Tom, I'm open!" signs. 

2 New York sacks out of 40 Baltimore pass plays isn't prodigious.  I think they miss their best pass rusher, Calvin Pace.  Breer reports he is out this week too. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Front 7 include Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott and David Harris. That is a decent set of Linebackers and doesn't include Calvin Pace who is out currently. 

Their front 3 or 4 without Jenkins are OK. Ellis probably stands out from the group. I think there scheming and ability to recognize/diagnose, bring down safeties, etc. puts a lot of guys in the box, limiting the run...but, this is also where they can be beat...

PaulK's comments are right on. I think if we go with heavy formations, 2-3 TE's, this would prompt the Jets to bring in a heavy package. Once on the field, we could split Hernandez and Gronk out wide causing mismatches, or play action pass, have Hernandez and Gronk chip, then release behind the LB's in space to catch a pass. 

the Jets defense is very good. But the aggressive style they employ combined with the way we can disguise plays, gives us the ability to exploit them a bit. 

Sections
Shortcuts