Jets Rex Ryan Benches Coples

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

Jets Rex Ryan Benches Coples

I read on a jets forum that Rex Ryan benched Coples because he already had 6.5 sacks in training camp......either hes that good or the jets Offensive line blows.

On His Second Day, Coples Rested a Little
    Posted by Randy Lange on May 5, 2012 – 1:59 pm

First-round draft choice Quinton Coples got his first breather as a pro during this morning’s rookie minicamp practice. He doesn’t know why but it’s OK by him.

“It was a coach’s decision to sit me out,” Coples told reporters after the practice in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room. Did he ask why? “No sir. This is no time for questions. They tell me to sit down, I sit down. I trust the staff to make the best decisions for me and I’ll move from there.”

He said he’s not hurt and he’s ready to roll when he’s called on. He did do individual drills under the guidance of new DL coach Karl Dunbar and that will be part of what he takes back with him to North Carolina for a few weeks until he returns for OTAs.

“Coach Dunbar is definitely coaching me well,” he said. “He gave me drills that I’ll take back home with me, drills I’ve never done before, things like hand-placement drills, drills on reading offensive linemen with the way they set, just different adjustments.”

Head coach Rex Ryan will speak today at 3 p.m. ET. We’ll stream that news conference on newyorkjets.com and he’ll definitely be asked about the Coples timeout. We’ll update this story with a quote from Ryan later this afternoon.

But No. 98 drew the head man’s attention during yesterday’s shorts-and-helmets work.

“It is kind of fun to watch. Coples would pass guys up in that pursuit drill,” Rex said. “I know it’s not an official [practice] stat, I don’t know how many sacks he had last year, but he had about six today.”

Said Coples, six is good.

“Oh yeah, oh yeah, if he said I had six sacks, I’ll definitely support whatever he said,” the former Tar Heel said with a laugh.

After 1½ days of a 2½-day minicamp, “Q” said he’s having no problems absorbing the D-line playbook. Ryan chuckled about that.

“We love the fact that he thinks he has it down,” the coach said. “This is one practice and he has like four defenses in and our library is a little more extensive than that.”

But player and coach definitely like the progress so far, before the pads go on and the intensity goes up this summer.

“I just expect to be good,” Coples said of his practices. “I trust the staff and I feel they’re going to coach me up to the best of my ability.”

your thought!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Jets Rex Ryan Benches Coples

yeah, well, dont read too much into that.  Our defense was stoning our offense most of training camp, if you remember.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

If coples doesnt pan out, Ol Rexy is probably out of a job, so coples is going to be touted as a stud no matter what.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This sounds like a nonstory, I'm sure every player sits at one time or another. They don't run 12 man dlines, everybody gets reps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

My thought is its a rookie camp....People just get way way too up in arms over everything that happens from the end of the season until training camp.  OTAs, rookie camps, they mean just about squat.  Coples could have a million sacks, he could be invisible, it means just about nothing.  Chad Jackson was running past people at the 06 camp, Gronk and Hernandez didn't even have one to attend.  Calm down guys, and that goes for the Pats camp as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

We are Patriot's fans, do we really even need to stoop low enough to discuss what's going on in a Jet camp? I'm superstitious...if we act like a jet fan would...our team might play like them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Rookie pass rushers always beat rookie offensive linemen.  It takes a couple of years for O-linemen to get coordinated with the program.  Pass rushers just lay back their ears and go.

The Jets have also drafted Robert Griffin, a sixth-round guard from Navarro College who later transferred to Baylor in 2010.  That's two years of major college ball.  Where is Baylor again?  And where's Navarro?  On the surface, he sounds like a guy with a learning curve ahead of him.  I would wonder if first rounder Coples wasn't able to beat him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

What kind of a sign is it to rest a guy who has a history of taking plays off during games in college, though?

All you're doing is yet again letting the inmates run the asylum.  I'd normally agree it's a non-story, but not in this case with the Jets and their arrogance in this league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

1 1/2 days of mini camp. Yeah that's enough to evaluate a player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Mini camp? No kidding?

And FWIW, Rex says their 3rd round pick reminds him of Ray Lewis.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Jets Rex Ryan Benches Coples:
    Mini camp? No kidding? And FWIW, Rex says their 3rd round pick reminds him of Ray Lewis.
    Posted by OscarGamble

LOL!!

Yeah, and his wife reminds me of Scarlet Johansson.

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts