Jets Safeties

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Jets Safeties

I brought up the terrible FA signing of Brodney Pool this offseason as a mistake by NY when they dealt away Kerry Rhodes, but I think is an area where NE failed to target in Week 2, especially in the second half, but can do it on Monday.

Not only has Kyle Wilson failed in the nickel packages for most of this season,  but now Eric Smith is in for Brodney Pool at FS.

Considering Jim Leonhard is not known for covering, and Eric Smith, at best is average, this is a huge, huge advantage for NE.

If we see it, no doubt BB and Brady/O'Brien are looking at this.

Thought this was an interesting comment:

"I think (the Jets) have much better luck against guys like Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco and Andre Johnson than they do against Wes Welker and Deion Branch and Danny Woodhead," Baldinger said. "I think those matchups are much tougher. If you look, they've already benched their safety Brodney Pool, and started Eric Smith (against Cincinnati) because they haven't covered tight ends well. The middle of the field has been a problem."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Jets Safeties

I can't think of one player on the Jets that would match-up well with Gronk or Hernandez. Rhodes was decent, but not great. Leonhard was from Rexy's days in Baltimore and better in the box. I just hope that Brady and O Brien exploit the h--ll out this mismatch. Also like Crumps blocking on screens to Woody or Law Firm. Personally I'd love to see Crumpler lay out Revis or Cromartie on a bubble screen that hits the Jets secondary like a tonne of bricks....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

This probably wasn't exploited as much in week 2 due to the inexperience of the two rookie TE's in the system, and Crumpler being in his 2nd game.  Also the offense was not relying on play action as much with more shotgun looks.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Not only will TE's put up significant numbers their presence will aid guys like BJGE and Welker. Lets not forget that Welker is much healthier and I think finally settling in. I wouldn't be surprised if Hernandez and Gronk got more TD's than anyone else, our TE's are just to big and to good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Jets Safeties:
    I brought up the terrible FA signing of Brodney Pool this offseason as a mistake by NY when they dealt away Kerry Rhodes, but I think is an area where NE failed to target in Week 2, especially in the second half, but can do it on Monday. Not only has Kyle Wilson failed in the nickel packages for most of this season,  but now Eric Smith is in for Brodney Pool at FS. Considering Jim Leonhard is not known for covering, and Eric Smith, at best is average, this is a huge, huge advantage for NE. If we see it, no doubt BB and Brady/O'Brien are looking at this. Thought this was an interesting comment: "I think (the Jets) have much better luck against guys like Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco and Andre Johnson than they do against Wes Welker and Deion Branch and Danny Woodhead," Baldinger said. "I think those matchups are much tougher. If you look, they've already benched their safety Brodney Pool, and started Eric Smith (against Cincinnati) because they haven't covered tight ends well. The middle of the field has been a problem."
    Posted by BBReigns

This is one of the reasons the Jets D is clearly not what it was last yr.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Jets Safeties:
    I brought up the terrible FA signing of Brodney Pool this offseason as a mistake by NY when they dealt away Kerry Rhodes, but I think is an area where NE failed to target in Week 2, especially in the second half, but can do it on Monday. Not only has Kyle Wilson failed in the nickel packages for most of this season,  but now Eric Smith is in for Brodney Pool at FS. Considering Jim Leonhard is not known for covering, and Eric Smith, at best is average, this is a huge, huge advantage for NE. If we see it, no doubt BB and Brady/O'Brien are looking at this. Thought this was an interesting comment: "I think (the Jets) have much better luck against guys like Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco and Andre Johnson than they do against Wes Welker and Deion Branch and Danny Woodhead," Baldinger said. "I think those matchups are much tougher. If you look, they've already benched their safety Brodney Pool, and started Eric Smith (against Cincinnati) because they haven't covered tight ends well. The middle of the field has been a problem."
    Posted by BBReigns

I told you this 2 weeks ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

nhsteven was wondering why you always up bbreigns post i noticed you respond too him  almost every comment he makes? just a question

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In Response to Re: Jets Safeties:
     Question is, why is this patsie D, in the third year of 'rebuilding', still so bad?
    Posted by PhatRex

What!? 3 years? I would say this would be there second year and to be honest most players takes at least 2-3 years to develop and the BB defense can be very hard to understand and play in. I don't know why you care how long it's taking us to "rebuild" while your Jets blew the bank for "star" we still have the same record.

Question is, when will the Jets run out of luck and Sanchez tanks it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I can't think of one player on the Jets that would match-up well with Gronk or Hernandez. Rhodes was decent, but not great. Leonhard was from Rexy's days in Baltimore and better in the box. I just hope that Brady and O Brien exploit the h--ll out this mismatch. Also like Crumps blocking on screens to Woody or Law Firm. Personally I'd love to see Crumpler lay out Revis or Cromartie on a bubble screen that hits the Jets secondary like a tonne of bricks....
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

The only way the Jets can deal with our TEs is by trying to force them to stay home and block. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hey Phat...  if the Pats are 9 - 2 with a rebuilding "lousy" D, are the Jets with the possibly league's best D (your opinion, I believe) and also at 9 - 2 a disappointment?  Oh, and another thing, the Pats aren't playing the Jets of 2009, a year many say the Jets D was BETTER!  If that is the case, and the Pats hung 31 points on that Jets defense in game #2 after being held to 9 points in game #1, what does that spell for your team this year when many feel this Pats O is BETTER than last year's team?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

No other team will test the Jets' backfield 5-deep. 

Having Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson cover Gronkowski is Fantasy Island.  "Look!  The plane!  The plane!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Also like Crumps blocking on screens to Woody or Law Firm. Personally I'd love to see Crumpler lay out Revis or Cromartie on a bubble screen that hits the Jets secondary like a tonne of bricks....
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Crumpler is the strongest and heaviest guy in the NFL that can regularly run downfield (the O-line can't get more than 5 yards downfield before the pass, but the tight end is free) and then barrel into ordinary-sized cornerbacks.  He's on a pass-heavy team so he gets lots of chances.  Gronk isn't that far behind him in weight and especially in strength, and he's fast enough to catch passes (and then of course he barrels through the flyweights too, except he has the ball).  When New England is humming, the critical factor isn't the cornerbacks' speed in the 40 or their reaction time, but their bone structure. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Your almost thier but honestly Jim Leohnard is better than any safety we have.i wish we signed this guy.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

In Response to Re: Jets Safeties : Which is the luckier part of the Jets season, their 3rd ranked D or 10th ranked O?  Could it be the 3-0 in their division and only 1 conference loss?  Wait, you must mean their abilty to both run and stop the run, that is always lucky.
    Posted by PhatRex

3rd this, 10th that.

BB gave the Jets the first game; he was selling Randy Moss and did that well.  Enjoy it, use it to console yourself Monday night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseball4life93. Show baseball4life93's posts

i see a big game here for Gronk..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Jets Safeties : I told you this 2 weeks ago.
    Posted by jesseyeric

That's fine. I mentioned this in the offseason when I was talking about the Jets knee jerk moves/signings.

Rhodes had some bad plays last year at times, but he is still much better

So, I thought it was funny they scapegoated him out of town because of those slip ups and then turning around pretending a Browns cast off like Pool was an upgrade.

Leonhard is a box/rn support guy and is also not good in coverage.

I think this is a huge advantage as it was in Week 2, but NE went away from the middle of the field with the TEs and the old school/Weis style offense that worked so well in the first half.

I don't see them ignoring this glaring advantage this week.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Jets Safeties : Which is the luckier part of the Jets season, their 3rd ranked D or 10th ranked O?  Could it be the 3-0 in their division and only 1 conference loss?  Wait, you must mean their abilty to both run and stop the run, that is always lucky.
    Posted by PhatRex

What about their bottom 5 ranked red zone offense and defense? Isn't this really where we should be looking, Fatty?

Isn't red zone efficiency on both sides of the ball more important than yards allowed in between the 20s? Ohhhh!  I think it is, Fatty!

You know, what the rate of TDs that are scored or allowed, because you know, it's the points that actually matter, not the yards allowed in between the 20s?

You are such a bozo homer it's hilarious.

The Jets are eeking by average or bad teams because they struggle to hit on TDs and allow TDs once teams led by Stafford, McCoy or Schaub get into your red zone.

There is one thing we do know, you won't be here if the Jets lose. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Jets Safeties : So, here's the thing.  You are an idiot.  What you remember about the Jets last year is that they finished with the best D in the NFL averaging about 14.9 pts a game.  And you likely recall that D holding both the Bengals and the Chargers to 14 pts a piece in the playoffs before getting beat by the Colts.  What you are just a little (actually, a lot)too dumb to understand is that after game 12 last year they were averaging about 17.5 pts a game and then gave up only 28 points over the last 5 games.  Currently, the Jets D is giving up 17 points a game.  Let me do the math for you, that means they are actually outperforming last year's team.  But for arguments sake, lets say that you are not a complete moron and that the Jets D is worse, say only the third best defense (it's current rank) instead of the historically great D it finished with last year.  Are you telling me that in spite of Poole being so awful and Jim Leonard's inability to cover and Kyle Wison being a bust, JT being the worst FA signing of the year (maybe second to Poole?) and Gholston being the biggest bust in the history of the NFL and the Jets only having 4 more sacks than the patsies and Cromartie's inability to tackle and the patsies having more picks and BB being the only great defensive mind in the NFL that the Jets are only 2.1 ppg worse than last year. I'll take that.  Question is, why is this patsie D, in the third year of 'rebuilding', still so bad?
    Posted by PhatRex

You keep babbling about stats as if numbers are a direct translation to a fact.

Guess what, Corky? 

If you ever had a legitimate job where you had to look at data, run numbers and analyze something, you'd know numbers always only tell you a portion of the story.

But, since you work at 7-11 and never finished high school, this is a major conceptual problem for you.

You equate data as fact.  You probably also play in 5 fantasy football leagues and pretend  each fantasy player that produces is better than a great teammate who actually is a complete player v.s. a stats guy like a TO, don't you, little Fatty?

In 2009, NE's D allowed 17.8 points per game last year, led the NFL in red zone rushing TDs allowed last year, and were ranked 11th (I think, would have to go back and look), overall.

But, was the 2009 really that  good?  I don't think so.

This D this year is actuallY BETTER than last year's because they get more of a pass rush (even though it's not great), have more experience, more depth, more speed and ahtleticism and create more turnovers.  Plus, they are MUCH improved in red zone D.

This is the part where NE is FAR BETTER than the lowly Jets  D in the red zone.

Keep looking at your stats sheets like all the other fans did of the COlts, Steelers, Chargers, et al, during the '00s.

They all looked at Pro Bowl nods and stat sheets and became increasingly angry asking what made NE so good.

Just like those particular fans don't get it, you don't either. 

So, you keep looking only at stats as to why you think the Jets are better than NE and are "better built" in 2010.  Laughable.

Enjoy! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Rhodes had some bad plays last year at times, but he is still much better (BBreigns)

I agree 100%. I think Rhodes ego couldn't handle not being the #1 guy in the Jet secondary at the beginning of last year but I thought he was returning to form after the benching and blow to his ego. This was a major mistake by the Jets FO. If anything, Rhodes was a playmaker and put good coverage on T.E.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I'd like to point out, when I was commenting on ANY of the Pats rivals offseason moves, and centered my premise on why I felt the Jets were playing to win it all in 2010 and to sell PSLs, and why thay might backfire long term, your Jets friend (Fat Rex), took umbrage with this.

He acted like I was crazy thinking that a mish-mash of new players and players who were effective there, who were let go (Faneca, Rhodes, Leon Washington, etc) would be a loss.

And I was right.

The Jets run game is not as good without Faneca nor is their Pass D without Rhodes.  It appears their sacks allowed should be the same. So, even when people blamed Faneca for poor pass D, it was really more so due to Sanchez not unloading the ball than it was Faneca. 

Gee, what a shock. NY fans seeing a #1 rush offense and a #1 overall D and then pretending taking out two good players is a good thing.  That's PhattyRex logic.

I think they would have been better at Safety with Rodhes and Leonhard one year in the Rexie system together.

They cut cost at the position, and I think it was a mistake.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Although I was a big fan of Washington, they were seriously concerned about his recovering from the injury. I had no issues with Faneca and the kid is getting better all the time. But the Rhodes move has been a disaster. Pool and Smith, IMO are horrible cover guys. And Leohnard is good in the run game, but weak on the passing game. As for an earlier comment about Wilson, he is nowhere near a bust. He has shown real signs of improvement and seems to have gotten over those early season disasters. This kid will be good in a year - mark it.

This game is going to be won or lost in the center of the field for both teams. And just like I am concerned with the Jet safeties, I truly don't believe that the Pat corners can manhandle the Jet wideouts on the line as some here think they might. And if they do bump and lose, Holmes will kill them all day long on the slant routes. One thing that the Jets have going for them is that Mangold is probably one of the few centers that can take on Wilfork on his own. So the Jets just may be able to run up the middle on the Pats and in turn draw the safeties into the box. This will open the middle of the field for LT on pass routes.

I really think this will be an excellent game and no matter the outcome, I think we see a 3rd game in January.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Wilson was benched at one point and if Lowery is a go, Wilson probably won't start. We'll see.

I think you are overanalyzing the CBs who will match up against McCourty and Arrington.

Obviously, assuming Holmes lines up on the weak side against Arrington, that's a clear advantage on paper.

But, I think McCourty controls Edwards.

Is Cotchery healthy? I have heard very little. He sounds like he wants to play, but I can't see a groin tear being healed to the point he'll be a factor in this game.

In the end, it's hard to know what BB will do in terms of playing man or zone against the Jets.

McCourty is plenty physical and Arrington can be physical himself.

Sections
Shortcuts