Jets to Bag Sanchez, and Go With Vick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Jets to Bag Sanchez, and Go With Vick?

I thought about adding this post to the "Jets, A Thread of Laughs" thread. But, I thought that this latest piece of Goblin lunacy deserved it's own thread: http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/20/mark-sanchez-trade-jets-michael-vick/?sct=uk_t2_a3; and http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/12/report_says_michael_vick_would.html 

How is the aging, injury prone, turnover prone Vick going to make them any better? I feel kind of bad for Mark Sanchez. What weapons did the Jets surround him with? Slot receiver Jeremy Curley? WR Stephen "Butterfingers" Hill? Grossly overrated RB Shonn Green, and the even grosser RB, Joe McNight? The kid never had a chance, this year.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Jets to Bag Sanchez, and Go With Vick?

What is crazy is the knee jerk reactions and decisions the Jets - and the press and their fans - make. Vick is a name, an athelete, but not the QB they need.

If you are going to build a ground and pound team what you are saying is that it is a defense centric team. What is REQUIRED for such a scheme is:

1. Strong, balanced overall D:

- A D that can stop the run, especially in the red zone and short yardage

- A D with good cover corners and a good pass rush that is not dependent on blitzing

2. An offense with:

- A QB that: (a) is a natural leader

(b) takes care of the ball

(c) IS ACCURATE AND EFFICIENT IN AT LEAST THE SHORT AND INTERMEDIATE PASSING GAME

- Depth at RB (who take care of the football)

- A strong O line, especially good at blocking for the run

- A good blocking TE with some reasonable pass catching ability

- One or more WRs and TEs who are good possession receivers and red zone targets

3. Good overall special teams, especially punt coverage and punt returns teams and a good FG kicker

What the Jets should be doing is:

(1) firing their owner (that would be interesting), their GM and head coach.

(2) dumping Tebow

(3) dumping Sanchez and replace with an efficient QB who can take care the the football and is consistent in the short to intermediate passing game (Alex Smith?)

(4) going after a guard and tackle (to upgrade starters and to increase depth on the oline

(5) getting a reasonably good blocking TE with some pass catching skills - and keeping Keller for his good skills

(6) getting a reasonable slot receiver

(7) upgrading from McKnight

(8) upgrading at least one inside and one outside LB spot including at least some blitzing skills

(9) improving the quality on D line especially in pass rush but without reducing any ability to stop the run

(10) getting a new GM, new head coach, new O coordinator... maybe make Ryan the D coordinator (of course he wont take a demotion on the same team!)

That is a lot to do. The fun thing is they have no patience and no skill at building a team. They just want fast food. ANd I hope they keep eating it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Philly is going to cut Vick this offseason meaning he would be available for cheap on a one or 2 year deal.  He is injury prone and has struggled with turnovers, but he is miles ahead of Mark Sanchez.  This move could make sense for the Jets as they need a vet to plug and play while they attempt to develop a new QB who they ought to draft this offseason.  They are going to cut Tebow and Sanchez isn't going anywhere with his cap hit next season so they need someone cheap. He can be cut the season after so they just need a short term stopgap.  Of course if they try and use Vick as a bandaid and don't draft a QB they are just dumb.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

they are just dumb.

[/QUOTE]

Enough said!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Philly is going to cut Vick this offseason meaning he would be available for cheap on a one or 2 year deal.  He is injury prone and has struggled with turnovers, but he is miles ahead of Mark Sanchez.

RESPONSE: I see Vick as the most overrated player in the NFL...and not "miles ahead" of anyone.  

This move could make sense for the Jets as they need a vet to plug and play while they attempt to develop a new QB who they ought to draft this offseason.

RESPONSE: Rather than trying to win now, and ending up with a 9-7/8-8 record at best, they're better off starting from scratch. Does adding Vick enable them to seriously challenge the Patriots in the AFC East...or ensure that they gain a playoff birth? I think not.

They are going to cut Tebow and Sanchez isn't going anywhere with his cap hit next season so they need someone cheap.

RESPONSE: Tebow could be CFL bound. Developing there and winning a couple of Grey Cup titles appear to be his best and only chance to eventually becoming a starting QB in the NFL. As for Sanchez, no team is going to take him, under his current contract. The Jets will have to release him.

He can be cut the season after so they just need a short term stopgap.  Of course if they try and use Vick as a bandaid and don't draft a QB they are just dumb.

RESPONSE: Assuming that Rex Ryan stays, and OC Tony Sparano and GM Mike Tannenbaum are relieved of their duties, I look for the Jets to take the best player available with their #1 pick...at either pass-rushing OLB, or DL, WR, or QB.   

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

TP let me clarify a bit.  I am not suggesting that the Jets should sign Vick because they think it will help them knock of the Pats, but because they need a stopgap QB.  Tebow is going to be cut.  Sanchez should never start a game for them again if they are smart, but he cannot be cut because the cap hit would be too large.  However Sanchez can be cut after next season with little to no consequence.  The point is they need some time to develop a new QB that they should draft at some point this offseason (not saying it should be with their first pick).  That means they need a starter who they can get for cheap (because of Sanchez's cap hit) and short term while the young kid develops.  Vick seems to fit both of those criteria imo.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

TP let me clarify a bit.  I am not suggesting that the Jets should sign Vick because they think it will help them knock of the Pats, but because they need a stopgap QB.  Tebow is going to be cut.  Sanchez should never start a game for them again if they are smart, but he cannot be cut because the cap hit would be too large.  However Sanchez can be cut after next season with little to no consequence.  The point is they need some time to develop a new QB that they should draft at some point this offseason (not saying it should be with their first pick).  That means they need a starter who they can get for cheap (because of Sanchez's cap hit) and short term while the young kid develops.  Vick seems to fit both of those criteria imo.

[/QUOTE]

How are the Jets going to sign Vick, and yet be on the hook to pay Sanchez the $12mil. due him? Vick has already said that if he comes to NY to start, he wants to be paid more than Sanchez: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/12/report_says_michael_vick_would.html 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought about adding this post to the "Jets, A Thread of Laughs" thread. But, I thought that this latest piece of Goblin lunacy deserved it's own thread: http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/20/mark-sanchez-trade-jets-michael-vick/?sct=uk_t2_a3; and http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/12/report_says_michael_vick_would.html 

How is the aging, injury prone, turnover prone Vick going to make them any better? I feel kind of bad for Mark Sanchez. What weapons did the Jets surround him with? Slot receiver Jeremy Curley? WR Stephen "Butterfingers" Hill? Grossly overrated RB Shonn Green, and the even grosser RB, Joe McNight? The kid never had a chance, this year.  

[/QUOTE]

love it, i hear hes going to get near 10 mil; theydd be out of cash and have to restructure personnel

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd sign Vick and trade for Cousins. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree, they need to develop a young QB. Perhaps they can look at some young back-ups. Not sure what it would take to get one of these QB's but they are all better than what is currently on their roster.

T.J. Yates 25

Matt Flynn 27

Ryan Mallett 24

Kirk Cousins 24

[/QUOTE]

Forget about Flynn, unless  he's released. His contract is prohibitive. Kirk Cousins is an interesting project. But, really...do any of these guys excite anyone? Why not draft a QB, and bite the bullett one more year with Sanchez...especially if his contract makes it too cap prohibitive to release him, as another poster has suggested.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

The Jets need to start over at QB but I can envision a scenario where they keep Sanchez for economic reasons, sign Vick thereby screwing up their cap more, Vick as usual gets hurt and they're back to Sanchez. He has a decent game or two and suddenly is the answer again and on it goes...

I hope the Jets never get rid of Sanchez.

The Tebow to the CFL talk makes little sense. The CFL is a 3 down passing league. Tebow will have to throw the ball far more frequently, on a field that is bigger. It won't work.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Philly is going to cut Vick this offseason meaning he would be available for cheap on a one or 2 year deal.  He is injury prone and has struggled with turnovers, but he is miles ahead of Mark Sanchez.

RESPONSE: I see Vick as the most overrated player in the NFL...and not "miles ahead" of anyone.  

This move could make sense for the Jets as they need a vet to plug and play while they attempt to develop a new QB who they ought to draft this offseason.

RESPONSE: Rather than trying to win now, and ending up with a 9-7/8-8 record at best, they're better off starting from scratch. Does adding Vick enable them to seriously challenge the Patriots in the AFC East...or ensure that they gain a playoff birth? I think not.

They are going to cut Tebow and Sanchez isn't going anywhere with his cap hit next season so they need someone cheap.

RESPONSE: Tebow could be CFL bound. Developing there and winning a couple of Grey Cup titles appear to be his best and only chance to eventually becoming a starting QB in the NFL. As for Sanchez, no team is going to take him, under his current contract. The Jets will have to release him.

He can be cut the season after so they just need a short term stopgap.  Of course if they try and use Vick as a bandaid and don't draft a QB they are just dumb.

RESPONSE: Assuming that Rex Ryan stays, and OC Tony Sparano and GM Mike Tannenbaum are relieved of their duties, I look for the Jets to take the best player available with their #1 pick...at either pass-rushing OLB, or DL, WR, or QB.   

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tex - I agree with everything you say though I think a smart GM would be focusing first on O line, second on a good blocking TE (not necessarily anyone special but certainly better than what they have and this might be doable via FA), third getting a reasonably dependable slot receiver (and continuing to try to develop Hill), upgrade McKnight (3rd down back) which again might be doable via FA, and then focus on upgrading LBs. But I think the order here is important IF they want to be a ground and pound team.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tex - I agree with everything you say though I think a smart GM would be focusing first on O line, second on a good blocking TE (not necessarily anyone special but certainly better than what they have and this might be doable via FA), third getting a reasonably dependable slot receiver (and continuing to try to develop Hill), upgrade McKnight (3rd down back) which again might be doable via FA, and then focus on upgrading LBs. But I think the order here is important IF they want to be a ground and pound team.

[/QUOTE]

Smartest move they could ever make is to take some dumb team for a ride and deal Revis.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It would free up big cap space and they can get a high draft pick or two to rebuild with.

Will be interesting to see if Revis is even willing to step on the field again and test that knee without a new deal from the Jets. They better hope he's as good as new for the money he'll want.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree, they need to develop a young QB. Perhaps they can look at some young back-ups. Not sure what it would take to get one of these QB's but they are all better than what is currently on their roster.

T.J. Yates 25

Matt Flynn 27

Ryan Mallett 24

Kirk Cousins 24

[/QUOTE]

Forget about Flynn, unless  he's released. His contract is prohibitive. Kirk Cousins is an interesting project. But, really...do any of these guys excite anyone? Why not draft a QB, and bite the bullett one more year with Sanchez...especially if his contract makes it too cap prohibitive to release him, as another poster has suggested.

[/QUOTE]

if they let him go, 8 mil hit this year.

4 mil next, and they still may do it.

they aint gonna have much money

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Maybe the Chiefs or the Browns might be interested in Sanchez...and the Wildcard here is Arizona..But they've probably learned their lesson with Kolb.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe the Chiefs or the Browns might be interested in Sanchez...and the Wildcard here is Arizona..But they've probably learned their lesson with Kolb.

[/QUOTE]

No one will trade for him, because no one wants his contract. The Jets are in a tough position...LOL!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.  CFL is more of a passing league then the NFL.  If he can't get a job in the NFL as a passer, I don't see it happening in the CFL.  Plus, Tebow's ego won't let him go to the CFL.  The CFL is dying!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Vick to New jersey? that's like throwing him to the dogs.

25. This post has been removed.