Jets v Colts Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Re: Jets v Colts Predictions

I have no problems watching the Jets win.  A Colts loss would make me gleeful.

The Jets can always lose to Favre in the Super Bowl.  I used to hate him, but I found out I hate the packers fans more, so it works like this:

Knock off Colts fans firts and then Jets fans and Packers fan in the same game.  That's what i want to see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

I find it an amusing game even being a Pats fan.  You have the Jets who some will say were let into the playoffs by this very Colts team when they rolled over like dogs on their undefeated season and their fans hopes.  The drama is huge and the Jets are in the drivers seat to upset.  Mark my words their will be frustration in Indy.  I have some college friends in the New York area who are life long loyal Jets fans and they have been suffering for a long time.  So I am not embrassed to say I would love to see them kick the Colts !@$!#$.  It would be fitting to see Manning crying while Rex is crying but Rex is crying We're goin to the Super Bowl baby.

I like underdogs and great defense so I cant help but like this Jets team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

pauldeba I love your logic.

1.  Colts loss = Colts fans heartbreak

2. Jets loss in Superbowl = Jets fans heartbreak

3. Farve winning a Superbowl = Packers fans heartbreak.

So what you have is happy Viking fans who have never experienced the joy of winning a Superbowl at the expense of all our Patriots rivals.  I can dig that outcome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Patsfan - Then how do u explain the Jets D holding opposing TE's to 2 TD's all season? Rhodes has frequently been matched up on opposing tight ends this year, notably faring well against Tampa Bay’s Kellen Winslow (four catches for 26 yards) and Atlanta’s Tony Gonzalez (three catches for 32 yards).

Overall, the Jets have done well against opposing tight ends, only allowing three to put up 50 or more receiving yards on them this season: Jacksonville’s Marcedes Lewis (58 yards), Carolina’s Dante Rosario (62 yards) and Clark (57 yards in two-and-a-half quarters).

And if Gates was so open all game, why didn't he have a big game? What, Rivers can't find his TE? He has all year. If you don't think the Jets D had something to do with that, then you haven't watched many Jets games. They've been consistent all year against TE's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJqd_5fC7ZI&feature=player_embedded

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I don't know but, without NE in the playoffs now I have to be honest and admit to pulling for the Jets yesterday. I mean, they played great. First and foremost I'm a football fan. I appreciate good football. Period. Bottom line is that the Jets deserve to be where they are and the Patriots do not. Hate to say it but, have to be honest here. I adored the Jets with Namath as a kid. Now, I'll never turncoat against my beloved Patriots but, I'm pulling for them. I also happen to like Manning. He's a good guy and great player. I love watching him. Watching Favre yesterday was great to see too.

I see the teams in the playoffs this year and have to say there are no flukes this time. They are all playing great ball. Rex Ryan gets under my skin, yes but, good for them if they go all the way. Say what you will about Rex but, he's backed everything up. Who'd have thought?

Jets over Colts.

Jets shock the Saints in the SB. 

But, next September, I'll be back hating them again!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

STP - The Jets won as many games as they because of their defense and ability to run the ball. They didn't go 11-5 or 12-4, or 13-3, because they can't put points on the board. But that really has nothing to do with their defenses shutting down TE's all year. People can say what they want about stats, but they gave up 2 TD's to TE all year. They held premier TE's to low yardage all year. The numbers are what they are.

And you are assuming the Colts would have won that game. Everyone makes it sounds like the Colts had that game in hand, but the Colts were hardly dominating in that game. If Wayne was so effective like another poster suggested, why did the Colts have 15 points when their players were pulled. Thats hardly a dominating performance. Dallas Clark had all of 50 yards receiving.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

I hate to give that team of jackarses any credit, believe me. But it is what it is.

Their defense was / is better than NE's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I'd go more like this:

Manning vs Jets DL = Advantage Colts
    Revis vs Wayne = Advantage Jets
    Jets LB's vs Clark = Even
    Jets Secondary vs Garcon and Collie = Colts
    Jets DL / LB's vs Colts Running game = Advantage Jets
    Sanchez vs Colts DL = Advantage Colts
    Jets Running game vs Colts DL / LB = Even
    Keller / Cotchery / Edwards vs Colts Secondary / LB's = Colts

But, given that the above methodology is B. S., I guess I'll have to do some actual analysis.  The Jets match up much better against the Colts than the Ravens did because they can defend the pass very well.  The Jet offense is similar to the Ravens' in that they rely on the run game and don't seem to trust their young QB to pass nowadays.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NYJs do what Baltimore did last week: open it up a little and try to pass.  Of course, last week may have been the result of the fact that the Ravens played the entire second half significantly behind. 

I do expect the Jets to slow down the Colts' offense, and I think they're going to tone down the blitzes.  Still, Manning's good at defeating a blitz and I see some very big plays down the field to Garcon, Collie, and Clark if they blitz him hard.  I think we'll see the Jets put extra guys in coverage and blitz with fewer LBs.  What this opens up, of course, is the run game.  Manning has the discipline to check to run plays, and let there be no mistake about it: the Colts can run the ball against defenses with eight men in coverage. 

The Colts' defense is quite under-rated.  They've done pretty well against the better running teams.  The Jet receivers aren't very fearsome.  Edwards is disappointing and Cotchery can't do too much damage.  I like Keller, but on the whole this is a corps that's easily in the bottom half of the league.  I see this being another boring game where the Colts' offense simply fairs a little better than the Jets' does.  However, it'll likely be low scoring, which means I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets were able to pull off the upset.  But my prediction is: Colts 20, Jets 7. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

After a good, close game into the fourth quarter, the game will turn on a controversial roughing the passer call, that will keep an Indy drive alive and propel them into the SuperBowl. That won't happen in Miami and the Saints (this year's team of destiny, sorry Brett) will win it all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Jules, some additional thoughts - In the first game, the colts ended the half 9-3.  Their TD was on 21 yd up the middle run by Addai.  The Jets D is the best in the NFL, but lets not suggest that they cannot be scored on. 

Manning tested Revis and I think part of that was to see 1) what he could get and 2) to find out what the rest of the D would do when he threw Revis' way.  This information will help the colts. 

Additionally, in the wk 16 game, the colts did not play: Powers, Bullitt, Session, Dawson, and Mathis and yet the makeshift D held the desparate Jets to 3 points and 54 yards rushing in the first half.  In fact, in that game, the colts defense gave up only 3 points through 3 quarters, 13 points the entire game. 

Further, Manning threw for 192 yds in 2.5 quarters and a 67% completion rate.  

I am not one to predict, but the media right now is on the Jet bandwagon and generally providing reasoning why the Jets can win.  Its almost as if everyone has forgotten that there will be another team on the field, and a pretty good one at that.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Jules:

Much too analytical. This game comes down to whether the Jets can get pressure on Peyton, and whether they can run on the Indy defense. The answer  is NO to both. This will be a replay of the Ravens' game. Colts are favored by 7.5 and will cover.

Hope I'm wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I wasn't going to post but, here I go:
    Don't want either team to win, any rule that would make two NFC teams get to the SB?!!! No, didn't think so.

So here it is, Colts will not be able to stop the run even with their starters this means less time for Manning to score points but because the Jets will eventually need to throw once or twice Sanchez will throw two picks giving the colts good field position.

The Jets D hold the colts under 20 but the Jets won't score more than 13.

Colts win 17 - 10

Isn't this the worst case scenario for a Patriots fan?  The two most hatted teams playing to represent the AFC in the SB. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

When I think of the Colts as individuals, I like them all quite a bit.  Would love to see Wayne, Brackett, Freeney, Mathis, Collie, Garcon, Clark playing on my team.  Add Polian to the mix and this is where the problems start.  The dude is just egotistical. 

Jets will fall behing similar to the Ravens and will be forced to play catch up. 

I'll be cheering for the Colts.  Colts D will stop the Jets running attack creating many opportunities for Peyton to score.  Colts will win 24 - 6. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

"Jules: Much too analytical. This game comes down to whether the Jets can get pressure on Peyton, and whether they can run on the Indy defense. The answer  is NO to both. This will be a replay of the Ravens' game. Colts are favored by 7.5 and will cover.  Hope I'm wrong."

Sorry.  I think you really have to look at the match-ups to figure out what's gonna happen.  We'll see - maybe you're right and the Jets will try hard to pressure Peyton (which I think you're saying here), but I think they're going to put extra men in coverage instead and hope Manning tries to force the ball to covered receivers.  But I'm agreeing that this should look a lot like the Raven game...boring to everyone but Colt and Jet fans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

This is one of those times I'd almost prefer the players all strike and the playoffs get cancelled...

I usually cheer for the underdog (not to be confused with underdoggg, formerly known as underdogg), but I'd rather see the Colts win this game.  I think they will win this game.  Manning and his receivers can beat the Jets D without too much difficulty.  Reminds me a bit of when the Dolphins beat the 85 Bears, except the Jets are not the 85 Bears; especially the playoff version of the Bears.  Heck, we beat the Jets D in our last game with a very inconsistent offense.  

The Jets are on a streak, but they will come down to earth this week.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

It is ironic that the Jets backed into the playoffs and are now playing well enough to make a run at the SB. The Jets' D and running game have been a pretty good, and I think they will run at will against the Colts, limiting Manning's opportunities to put up points as the clock ticks maddeningly by.  I believe the Jets will be able to hold the Colts to 17-20 points as Baltimore did, and I think they will be able to put up a few more points than the Ravens could manage, even though I have zero faith in Sanchez.  But they don't need Sanchez to win, so that's why they have a chance.

I think the Jets run the ball well enough and their defense will erase Reggie Wayne. Manning will feel compelled to force the ball into coverage because he knows his scoring chances will be limited due to the 175+ yards the Jets will run for.  Manning will have at least 2 picks, and he will be frustrated.   

Prediction, although it pains me?  Jets 21, Colts 17.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In 10 of 17 games this season the colts have faced the many of the top 10 running backs.  Here are the running backs the colts have faced this year (ranks are yards and yards/game, respectively):

Chris Johnson (twice) #1,#1  - won both
    Steven Jackson #2, #3 - won
    Thomas Jones #3, #4 - lost
    Maurice Jones Drew (twice) #4, #5 - won both
    Ray Rice (twice) #6, #8 - won both
    Ricky Williams #10, #15 - won
    Frank Gore #11, #9 - won

In addition the colts have faced the following top rushing teams:

Jets #1 - lost
    Titans #2 (twice) - won both.  
    Dolphins #4 - won
    Ravens #5 (twice) - won both
    Jaguars #10 (twice) - won both

The colts have faced good run offenses this year and fared well, and the colts offense has played against good defenses (the Ravens were a great tune up) and fared well. 

The Colts just might challenge this Jets team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

The Jets should pull out BB's gameplan from the Ram Super Bowl. Conscentrate on Dallas Clark-pound him (within the 5 yard zone) on every play. Rush 3 sometimes 2 sometimes 4 drop the rest. Double Collie, Revis on Wayne, spy PM to keep him from running and handing off the draw, and pray.....alot
    Colt 24  Jets 10

*dogg you going to MIami? I hear it's nice this time of year.Cool

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

HRK - only if I can take your bike.  Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

The Colts will win 23 to 10. Colts offense too precise, congrats underdoggg on AFC crown. Good riddance Jets.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Not on your life Dogg.....my wife maybe the bike no way...Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This will be the test of "old school football" wisdom of run the ball and big defense vs the "new school" of air it out and smaller faster defense. 

I happen to believe the Old school style is dead (dying since 2004), and the future of the NFL is throw, throw, throw.  I would congragulate the Colts on adapting to the easier passing rules so quickly but it was really the rules that adapted to them.  Teams are figuring out that air attacks are the future and 3 of the 4 teams left in the playoffs employ a heavy dose of passing.  While the Jets are the only team who can both run great and play great defense.  (Minn can do both pretty good, 7th ranked in D and running).  Good luck to both teams, but I think the Colts win by 14.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

How much do you think the colts showed in their reg season game against Jets?

Sections
Shortcuts