JETS WIN on a PI Call

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

JETS WIN on a PI Call

JETS Fluked out on a 4th and 6, 40 yard desperation bomb.  That was disappointing!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: JETS WIN on a PI Call

it was a pathetic call

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Kyle...  the defender had the receiver's face mask in his fingers pulling him back with the official not 5 feet away!  It is pathetic only because without the call the Jets would have lost.  But, it is what it is...  game's in the books!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

Too bad that denver Q-tip pulled on the recievers face mask.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Oh no, the Colts biggest play is now the jests biggest play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Agreed it was the right call... But still a flukey desperation play.... Their luck will run out soon.....

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: JETS WIN on a PI Call:
    [QUOTE]it was a pathetic call
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Kyle, I do think it was pass interference, but I think it blows that a team can essentially win a game this way.

I know the Jets trolls will whine that I'm complaining about this one game, but I do think the league should give the referee discretion to award either a 15-yard penalty (for more incidental contact) or a spot foul (for when a clearly beaten defender deliberately grabs or tackles the receiver), in the same way they have discretion on face mask or roughing the kicker penalties to award a more or less severe penalty.

If the PI call against the Broncos had resulted in a 15-yard penalty, I think the punishment would have fit the crime.

That being said, we all know Polian would never allow the league to change the rules on Peyton Interference.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It was the right call...that's why you FIND THE BALL IN THE AIR! And not mindlessly try to shield the receiver's face. Use skill, not luck next time. Same thing happened today to McCourty twice, first time, he never looked and got flagged. Next time he actually looked, and almost picked it off.

As for the rule itself, I agree that it should be modified. I think it should be a spot foul with a maximum of 15 yards, and still a first down. No more 40 yard bogus penalties.

A win is a win. Honestly, I prefer if those lucky-type plays go the Jets way. I don't want any excuses when they lose.

And Pats fans shouldn't have issue. Remember and unconscious Patten touching the ball while his head was out of bounds against Buffalo? Remember the tuck rule? Remember ST Louis (or was it Carolina?) kicking it out of bounds to give the Pats the ball at the 40 in the final minutes of a super bowl? My point is, EVERY team gets lucky at some point. Hello NYG and the 07 Super Bowl! It all balances out in the end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]It was the right call...that's why you FIND THE BALL IN THE AIR! And not mindlessly try to shield the receiver's face. Use skill, not luck next time. Same thing happened today to McCourty twice, first time, he never looked and got flagged. Next time he actually looked, and almost picked it off. As for the rule itself, I agree that it should be modified. I think it should be a spot foul with a maximum of 15 yards, and still a first down. No more 40 yard bogus penalties. A win is a win. Honestly, I prefer if those lucky-type plays go the Jets way. I don't want any excuses when they lose. And Pats fans shouldn't have issue. Remember and unconscious Patten touching the ball while his head was out of bounds against Buffalo? Remember the tuck rule? Remember ST Louis (or was it Carolina?) kicking it out of bounds to give the Pats the ball at the 40 in the final minutes of a super bowl? My point is, EVERY team gets lucky at some point. Hello NYG and the 07 Super Bowl! It all balances out in the end.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Nice post, dragon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

IT was a good call insofar as he did interfere.

It was a bad call, in the sense that all spot fouls are bad calls. 

That would have been a simply amazing catch if the guy makes it. Highlight reel stuff. You cannot assume that he catches a ball like that. Sorry. 

It should have been fifteen yards.

But saying it was a bad call isn't right. He hooked the guy's facemask. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's a double-edged sword. If you take the spot foul out of the rule book and make it a simple 15-yard penalty, then pass interference becomes a legitimate defensive tactic. And if you give the official some weird "severity of the contact" judgment to make, that is going to open the floodgates for calls of obvious bias (even wider than they already are). The way the rule is now, and especially the way it's interpreted -- with receivers initiating contact (and calls) while defensive backs are effectively handcuffed -- is a clear advantage for the offense. So far as I can tell, that's the way the league wants it. But anyone who watched Green New Jersey (particularly Cromartie) manhandling Vikings' receivers last Monday night should be careful of inviting more "judgment" into the equation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Am I the only one who seen Holmes pulling the DB's shirt prior to the incidental face mask contact?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

Phat Sex,

Please bite me.  Tom has rarely needed PI calls.  Scumchez will need alot more of those teet for tat calls this year, but he won't get them.  I don't think he's the biggest jerk in the world, but he sounds like a freeking hallmark card.  He should stop giving so many lame girley interviews till he actually wins something.  Five upstanding Homosexual dudes at my hotel are totally smitten.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

this is where ncaa football gets it right, it should be a 15 yard penalty. 

if the nfl wants to keep the spot foul rule in play on p.i. than it should be reviewable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Kyle...  the defender had the receiver's face mask in his fingers pulling him back with the official not 5 feet away!  It is pathetic only because without the call the Jets would have lost.  But, it is what it is...  game's in the books!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Bill. It was the right call...for the wrong team...LOL!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

The  Defensive PI call really isn't fair, in that it makes the assumption that the offensive guy WILL make the catch and thus gets the spot. Hey ,have we seen drops? If it is an Offensive PI the defensive team does not get possesion at the spot! So evidently he COULD NOT MAKE THE INTERCEPTION?
     ( i know the old addage  if a CB had good hands he would be a WR.. but really!)

is that fair?

15 yds for both is  equitable.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JETS WIN on a PI Call : I saw that they were tangled up.  I would say if it were not for the facemask, it would have been a non call.  BTW, I don't think you quite understand what incidental means.  When the hand is gripped on the mask and the head is turn by that hand, it is no longer incidental.  
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

PhatRex  .. you are absoultely correct

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

You know what was great?  Sanchez starting to play like his true self again.  They cannot protect him by having him playing it safe each week if they want to keep winning.  Some turnovers today and they will keep coming, like last year. Jeys were lucky to win today.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Did anyone happen to notice the in all likely hood, if Holmes is not interfered with that he would have probably made the catch? Can't change the rules now because it assisted a team you hate. I mean, come on, the Jets have been basically sad sacks for the last 40 years. They are entitled to have a good team everyone once in a while and win a game where they really didn't play all that well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Guys, I don't want Jets to have a terrible regular season record - on the contrary, I would root for them to have a record close to, but a little lower than, ours..

Don't want them to have a good draft spot...

25. This post has been removed.