Jimmy garrapola arm strength

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Jimmy garrapola arm strength

Does he have enough zip on his ball?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Jimmy garrapola arm strength

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does he have enough zip on his ball?

[/QUOTE]

no he doesn't. has to work on that this year

nice touch. very good awareness. good feet. mobile. can throw on the run.

needs to make better decisions which will come with time. made a lot of throws that could have/should have been intercepted

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

by zip...do you mean the ability to chuck it down-field 50 yards?  I think his ball velocity is misleading. He has a very quick release and appears to have pretty good control over where the ball goes, and he does have touch. He doesn't throw as hard as Mallett, Elway, or Favre - but how many QBs do? He already does so many things better than Brady and Mallett - so, velocity/zip can be worked on easily.  It's much harder to teach touch and ball placement/accuracy.

Look at Mallett, throws hard - and hasn't done/shown anything different from year 1 to year 4.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

by zip...do you mean the ability to chuck it down-field 50 yards?  I think his ball velocity is misleading. He has a very quick release and appears to have pretty good control over where the ball goes, and he does have touch. He doesn't throw as hard as Mallett, Elway, or Favre - but how many QBs do? He already does so many things better than Brady and Mallett - so, velocity/zip can be worked on easily.  It's much harder to teach touch and ball placement/accuracy.

Look at Mallett, throws hard - and hasn't done/shown anything different from year 1 to year 4.

[/QUOTE]

Let's also keep in mind that "zip" is significantly influenced by one's ability to step into a throw.  Certainly, last night's game did not give JG much opportunity to take much of a step at all.  It seemed like most of the time the pocket was pretty congested.

Like you said, that is something that can certainly be worked on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

JimmyG's throws stay in the air too long. he will need to work on that this year as he gets stronger

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Let's tryout al the strong armed QBs that couldn't hit the ocean with a throw...

Like Brady, he will get stronger with the tutelage of McDaniel.

Always Right.....at least in my mind

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

If he can't increase his arm strength can he still become a top ten qb?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm afraid I disagree.  I saw at least 3 throws where Jimmy G had every bit as much zip on the ball as TB.  I saw several touch passes and the kid can go deep - that's not in question.  I would also offer the following:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014jgaroppolo.php

Arm strength is listed as one of this kid's strengths.  A little work on his mechanics (and I don't think he needs much) can improve on every aspect of his passing.

By all means take issue if you disagree (like I needed to invite that).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I disagree, I saw several passes his summer where he fired the ball into some tight spaces. He's not Mallett, but he doesn't need to be. Last night the kid couldn't even set his feet half the time because of his line...which had better not be the norm or Brady will get killed by October.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I've been hearing this but not seeing this.  Some of his risky throws that were caught required some serious threading of the needle.  The ball arrived fast with flawless accuracy.  Is that zip?  He did make some zipless throws but he showed he can deliver a ball on a zipline when he needs to.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've been hearing this but not seeing this.  Some of his risky throws that were caught required some serious threading of the needle.  The ball arrived fast with flawless accuracy.  Is that zip?  He did make some zipless throws but he showed he can deliver a ball on a zipline when he needs to.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I see too, he has it when he needs it, unlike a guy like Chad Pennington who didn't have that extra zip. Jimmy does float some, but to me it looks like that's his style rather than a lack of arm strength.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

The ball in the 4th in the back of the end zone had plenty of zip.

Zip is overrated.  At one point, this was said about brady.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's what I see too, he has it when he needs it, unlike a guy like Chad Pennington who didn't have that extra zip. Jimmy does float some, but to me it looks like that's his style rather than a lack of arm strength.

[/QUOTE]
    Agree.  I think most of the time he puts up a floater he is doing so by design.  He throws some very catchable balls.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

When he wants to zip it - there is no probelm , alot of times he was placing the ball

Can he get stronger - sure - but i dont see that beig the reason he doesnt make it

i think he is promising - but not ready yet

btw he could ahve had 3 INTS last nite

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He has as much "zip" as Montana and more than Peyton Manning. I don't think it's an issue.

Quarterbacking is way more about processing than arm strength.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I disagree, I saw several passes his summer where he fired the ball into some tight spaces. He's not Mallett, but he doesn't need to be. Last night the kid couldn't even set his feet half the time because of his line...which had better not be the norm or Brady will get killed by October.

Agreed. The Pats' OL was terrible last night. Glad to see that Garopollo was able to walk off the field on his own power when the game ended. The run blocking was awful too. This is an area of play that HAS TO improve, if this team is to be a viable SB contender.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

He has "good" arm strength. He is not a weak armed QB. Still he certainly could build his arm up. He is also certainly stronger armed than TB when he was a rookie. So if JG wanted to I think he could improve that part of his skills. It is up to him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's also keep in mind that "zip" is significantly influenced by one's ability to step into a throw.  Certainly, last night's game did not give JG much opportunity to take much of a step at all.  It seemed like most of the time the pocket was pretty congested.

[/QUOTE]

He had a difficult time stepping into his throws. When he does his arm strength is fine. As opposed to Mallet this kid knows how to arc the football on deep throws. He throws a nice, soft and "catchable" ball if you are a receiver but will need to work on his footwork when throwing passes from under the center versus the shotgun - the footwork is different. He also needs to simply get more time under a pro type pass rush while working on his footwork. For someone who had happy feet at times and looked like a college QB when in a slight panic I was actually impressed that he was able to get mustard on some of his throws. He's got arm strength, it's the polish on his footwork he lacks. It will come in time. His touch on passes is there right now. Mallet knows how to throw a ball through a brick wall while Jimmy G knows how to throw OVER it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he can't increase his arm strength can he still become a top ten qb?

[/QUOTE]

Is Peyton Manning a top 10 QB?  He often throws really wobblies!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Remember that the top five linemen did not even play last night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He had a difficult time stepping into his throws. When he does his arm strength is fine. As opposed to Mallet this kid knows how to arc the football on deep throws. He throws a nice, soft and "catchable" ball if you are a receiver but will need to work on his footwork when throwing passes from under the center versus the shotgun - the footwork is different. He also needs to simply get more time under a pro type pass rush while working on his footwork. For someone who had happy feet at times and looked like a college QB when in a slight panic I was actually impressed that he was able to get mustard on some of his throws. He's got arm strength, it's the polish on his footwork he lacks. It will come in time. His touch on passes is there right now. Mallet knows how to throw a ball through a brick wall while Jimmy G knows how to throw OVER it.

[/QUOTE]

Well put.  Often, JG was forced to sidearm his throws and got the ball out quickly.  Looks like he is a fast learner.  In a few months, we should feel much better about his needing to take over for Brady (I hope not) than Matt Cassell!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

He has "good" not great arm strength. BUT he will NEVER have a big arm because of his small hands. Think about it, the faster his arm swings around  the higher the propensity for it to slip out of his hands. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Remember that the top five linemen did not even play last night.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. People really are missing that aspect.  They also are clueless when analyzing the other O Line personnel where all the backups are in to see who sticks.

Look at RKrap's analysis on KLine. God, he's so dumb.  O LIne is one unit working as one, not little individual parts all analyzed separately.

Ugh.

It's painful reading this board sometimes.  Apparently Thompkins is on the bubble and Dobson will be cut.

LMAO

Sections
Shortcuts