Joe Paterno: Get Rid of the Facemask

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Joe Paterno: Get Rid of the Facemask

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/JoePa-didn-t-wear-a-facemask-He-doesn-t-think-t?urn=ncaaf-278329

Personally, I like his suggestion the best. Some are suggesting that we completely get rid of helmets, which makes sense because rugby and other physical sports (I forget which ones) play without helmets.

This way, we make sure the players' heads are protected from freak accidents and violent collisions but also make them think twice about running full speed at someone wit their head/facemask lowered.

What say you?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Joe Paterno: Get Rid of the Facemask

In Response to Re: Joe Paterno: Get Rid of the Facemask:
    [QUOTE]Joe Paterno although one of the greatest living legends in College Football is nuts to say take off the face mask. It's football for goodness sake.Guys will get hurt facemask or no facemask.All of the hits that are under scrutiny this week looked like good clean hits to me except the one that Merriweather committed. I'm not saying that because I despise the pats ....I'm just saying that.Harrisons hit was a great shot on the Cleveland WR and the collision in the Philly/Atlanta game although tough to watch looked clean also! All these nelly do gooders probabaly never palyed a down of football in their lives!
    Posted by MasterHess-[/QUOTE]

Go to fullsize image

For spelling and punctuation mistakes!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I love big hits but someone in my lifetime (I'm only 24) is going to get killed out there. I know it. We're getting closer and closer to it happening. Players are bigger, stronger, faster, are prepared at a much younger age, have improved technology at their disposal, etc.

The Falcons/Philly hit was violent but 100% LEGAL. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could fine someone for that hit. Shoulder pad to Jackson's collarbone but because of how fast it happened, his neck/head snapped back. Bogus.

Harrison doesn't get the benefit of doubt from me because he sounds/looks (on film) dirty. It's not a coincident that he's always being fined and always in these sticky situations; after a while, it's not a trend, it's a habit. If he wants to retire, good riddance.

I love the Patriots and I love that Meriweather's hit fired up the defense in the second half and overtime. I just saw it as an unfortunate hit where I'm sure Brandon was trying to go up with his head (still a penalty) to hit Heap in the midsection to hopefully dislodge the ball. He missed and hit his head. I wouldn't say he's dirty but it wasn't the smartest move either. He's been known around here to bypass the solid football play in hopes of "blowing someone up." Had he stayed back on that hit, he would have had an easy pick as the throw sailed on Flacco.

One thing most people also don't realize is that the NFL's fastest growing demographic is women. Women don't mind physicality on the field because I'm sure that's what draws them but I don't think they're going to stick around for too long if people are getting laid out and leaving on stretchers and carts. From a business standpoint the NFL can't alienate one of their biggest, fastest growing demo's.

The NFL also has to put a stop to the 18-game season sh!t because they're being hypocritical there. They also should scrap the "biggest hit" DVD's and not sell photos of those hits. It's tough though: big hits are part of the culture (Madden hit stick, DVD's, photos, ESPNs "jacked up") but it'll eventually take the NFL to Congress if someone is killed on that field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOL, did joe stop to think why they put facemasks on helmets in the dirst place?

how about broken noses, broken jas and missing teeth, who's to say someone won't grab an ear and tear it off?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Kansas, in the grand scheme of things I'm sure players would rather have any of those things than dementia, Lou Gehrig's disease, memory loss, and countless other disabilities that really affect their way of life post-football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Why does this not surprise me about Joe!  He is one tough SOB, love that guy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

did he even think about what happens if a player lowers his helmet into someone's unprotected face? You could easily cave in a face and kill someone. No the face masks have to stay to protect one of the most sensitive parts of your body

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Idiotic, why doesn't Paterno put on a helmet and try to play with no face mask? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

They should stop interviewing people when they reach 200 years old.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]They should stop interviewing people when they reach 200 years old.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Seriously, senile is an understatement for this guy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

As a former college football player, I agree with JoPa 100%. The more protection you put on, the more invincible you feel. The problem is your brain and ligaments are still soft.

Players now have so much armor, they use their bodies as battering rams. Want to know why there are so many missed tackles now? Because few players know how to wrap somebody up and bring them down. No technique whatsoever. Just try and knock them off their feet. If they bounce off, the play goes for another 30 yards instead of 2 or 3 if they tackled properly.

The original poster was 100% right concerning Rugby. I also was a member of a Rugby club in college,  playing with guys as big as football players, and there was a lot less major injuries in Rugby. More cuts and scrapes and bloody noses, but way less serious injuries. Why? When you don't have armor, you don't act like a battering ram, and you play much smarter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Players need to learn how to wrap up instead of going for big hits and lowering the helmet. Hell, go for the big hit but keep the helmet up. Last I checked you can still blow someone up using your body, shoulders or arms. I know this from first hand experience. My father was my schools defensive coach, always emphasized solid tackling technique and to wrap up. He also advised to keep your head up and when your looking to make the big hit, do it with your body/shoulder, not your head.

Playing SS, i got the message pretty clear and it showed. 4 years of high school football, zero concussions. Its fixable, but removing the facemask will do the opposite of help. Hell, helmet to face is a lot worse then helmet to helmet if you think about it. Paterno has no idea what he is talking about.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

[QUOTE]... Paterno has no idea what he is talking about.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

LOL. 

One question. Do you or your father have 400 NCAA Division 1 wins and 24 major Bowl victories?

I didn't think so.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

ever hear of the theory that if you legislate putting the blade of a knife into the steering wheel, with the sharp end pointing to the chest of the driver, everyone would be more careful driving? you can do away with seatbelts and airbags.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]Joe Paterno although one of the greatest living legends in College Football is nuts to say take off the face mask. It's football for goodness sake.Guys will get hurt facemask or no facemask.All of the hits that are under scrutiny this week looked like good clean hits to me except the one that Merriweather committed. I'm not saying that because I despise the pats ....I'm just saying that.Harrisons hit was a great shot on the Cleveland WR and the collision in the Philly/Atlanta game although tough to watch looked clean also! All these nelly do gooders probabaly never palyed a down of football in their lives!
    Posted by MasterHess-[/QUOTE]
    You are such a hater and you try to hide it, but every personal opinion you hold of a Boston sports team or the city itself is just pure hate or insults. How messed up is your head? You can't even logically explain what you reason is for making your claim.

Please just stop posting here.

Now, having a facemask keeps player from getting gouged by hands, feet, another helmet, etc. Keeps their face and chin from getting plowed into the ground. How about allowing him to go out there and test a helmet with out a facemask.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

[QUOTE]ever hear of the theory that if you legislate putting the blade of a knife into the steering wheel, with the sharp end pointing to the chest of the driver, everyone would be more careful driving? you can do away with seatbelts and airbags.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Bad analogy. Because of the mass and speed of cars, they can generate impact forces that humans, no matter how fast or strong simply can't.

It seems that most the posters are ignorant of the fact that JoPa did play college football in the era without face masks. And he was a damn good football player as well. Funny how he, and many others could play without a facemask, not get disfigured, not get brain damage, not only live to an old age, but be very smart and successful as well.

I'm telling you from personal experience, the more protection you give these guys, the more invincible they believe they are, and the sloppier they play.

Take away Harrision's and Merriweather's excessive armor plate, and see if they launch themselves around the field like cruise missiles. I'll bet my next paycheck they won't. Problem solved without fines, suspensions, or questionable league decisions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Ok so those of you that said Joe Pa is too old and that didn't even play (although he did), now Mike Ditka has joined the discussion and he agrees with Paterno:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/21/mike-ditka-joe-paterno-think-facemasks-do-more-harm-than-good/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Papa joe might be slightly senile but he's right! Check this out google the faces of guys from the old days Art Donovan, Ray Nitchze or Andy Roboustelli they had faces only their mothers could love and even that would be stretching their over all good looks. I know that the pretty boy DB and LB's of todays game aren't going to willing to look like any of those guys regardless of how much they are paid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Well its an interesting question to be sure but beyond the face mask.  I just think that the helmet was obviously designed as a tool for protection but it has been turned into a weapon by some of these guys that launch themselves headfirst like heat seeking missles.  I don't have any problem with them suspending guys that do that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

people died back in the early years of football. The facemask was mandatory, I believe in 1947?

The helmet came into play under Teddy Roosevelt's series of ideas to protect college players. That's why the forward pass was created. To limit the amount of contact from running plays.

I read about the evolution of these safety regulations just recently in a medical publication.  Head injuries are clearly on the rise and a serious issue.

I side with Teddy Roosevelt on this one and I think some basic logic with common sense rules and safety measures is the way to go.

Let's be honest here:

Lunging a piece of hard plastic like a missile towards a defenseless player at high rates of speed is dangerous.  Flat out. Especially at the head.  Use the shoulder like people always have.

The game is getting faster/more violent and the players are clearly more stronger.

Look at hockey. All violent sports needs some kind of basic rules to curb, flat out dangerous actions.

And they allow players to police themselves with beat downs if necessary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I maybe the only one but as I looked at all of the hits all were not purposeful helmut to helmut. Even Brandon's if you look at it before the hit you can see he was coming in towards the body then the reciever started falling towards Brandon and IMHO that ended up causing the hit. If you look at most of them you see the defensive player start out heading to a point and the offensive player falling into a position where we get the helmut on helmut problem.

Just my take as I have seen the films................

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In regards to football with out facemasks...Yes they did that but back then the average man was5' 8", few weighed over 225 and far fewer could run a 4.2 40 yd sprint. Today you have guys 6' 4'" and taller weighing 280 plus pounds runinng 4.4 40yd sprints A MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR difference

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]LOL, did joe stop to think why they put facemasks on helmets in the dirst place? how about broken noses, broken jas and missing teeth, who's to say someone won't grab an ear and tear it off?
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Mike Ditka has suggested the same thing as Paterno...get rid of the facemask: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/495469-nfl-helmet-to-helmet-hits-mike-ditkas-solution-get-rid-of-helmets

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

force the offender to play a quarter without a helmet (the rest of the players on the field keep theirs on). else, he gets fined $100K. it would be funny if someone opted for the former.