Joe Paterno

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from orangecrush28. Show orangecrush28's posts

Joe Paterno

Sandusky scandal aside, this is real life

Joe Paterno is on his death bed. Hope you make it Joe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Joe Paterno

Gotta agree with the Flyer fan although your battered team will lose tomorrow but glad we can both agree on the Pats.
    Bruins game on laptop while watching Pats on big screen tomorrow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

Hard to think that the sandusky case isnt what is killing him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

According to Sports Center he has officially passed away

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Fired Penn State coach Joe Paterno dead at 85

Email

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Joe Paterno, who racked up more wins than anyone else in majorcollege football but was fired from Penn State amid a child sex abuse scandal has died. He was 85.

His family released a statement Sunday morning to announce his death.

Paterno's son Scott announced Nov. 18 that his father was being treated for lung cancer, which was diagnosed in mid-November during a follow-up visit for a bronchial illness.

The storied career of "JoePa" included 409 wins in 46 seasons and two national championships.

But his reputation for success with honor was shattered when a former assistant was charged with molesting 10 boys during a 15-year span, including some in the Penn State athletic complex.

Critics said Paterno should have done more to stop it. He was fired Nov. 9.

In all, Paterno guided five teams to unbeaten, untied seasons.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

F him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Hop the media feels bad for blaming him for something he didn't do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In Response to Re: Joe Paterno:
    [QUOTE]Hop the media feels bad for blaming him for something he didn't do.
    Posted by Brady2Moss07[/QUOTE]

It's exactly waht he didn't do that is the problem!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In response to "Re: Joe Paterno": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Joe Paterno : It's exactly waht he didn't do that is the problem! Posted by Section136[/QUOTE] He reported it to the appropriate people in the college. They did nothing about it and then blamed and fired paterno. This d coordinator was a longtime friend, he had difficulty believing this was true. The guy was 85 y/o. I am a physician, and many individuals his age suffer from mild dementia, etc... I believe paterno was the big name and the scapegoat for the higher ups at penn state.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Joe Paterno : It's exactly waht he didn't do that is the problem!
    Posted by Section136[/QUOTE]

What Sandusky did was a much, much bigger problem than Paterno's reaction to it.

ESPN, Penn St, and most media outlets are responsible for the attempted destruction of his legacy and his reputation.

And right now, they're cashing in on his death.  Carpet baggers, nothing more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

In response to "Re: Joe Paterno": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Joe Paterno": He reported it to the appropriate people in the college. They did nothing about it and then blamed and fired paterno. This d coordinator was a longtime friend, he had difficulty believing this was true. The guy was 85 y/o. I am a physician, and many individuals his age suffer from mild dementia, etc... I believe paterno was the big name and the scapegoat for the higher ups at penn state. Posted by Brady2Moss07[/QUOTE] Anybody that hears these types of allegations and does not contact the police is not a scapegoat. He's an accessory after the fact.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Over the past month, Penn State has allegedly tried to nullify his health care and retirement plans.

Then, when fans and alumni came to Paterno's aid, the school tried to deny that they were doing so and patently lied to the media in an effort to make themselves come out of this squeaky clean.

Sound familiar?  Anyone here who's going to blame Paterno better take a good, long look at the school's reaction to it.  They just tried to deny health care to an 85 year old man with lung cancer. 

And none of the board members have been dismissed.  If they want to start over, they better start at the top.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In response to "Re: Joe Paterno": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Joe Paterno": Anybody that hears these types of allegations and does not contact the police is not a scapegoat. He's an accessory after the fact. Posted by RTSully6931[/QUOTE] He contacted the head of campus police. Penn state big wigs tried to cover it up. Let say you work with a good friend and another co worker tells you he sodomizes kids. Do you pick up the phone that second and call the police? Maybe you want to make sure it is true or at least start with another's investigative channel, none the less paterno did nothing wrong

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He reported it then let Sandusky continue to bring children onto campus and practices even though the school said he wasn't allowed to. This was something that happened over decades not in a single year. Just reporting it wasn't enough. You can't just report it then wash your hands clean while you watch him bring in kid after kid to practice over the years, after the first allegation and do nothing about it.

When good men do nothing evil will prevail and Joe did nothing but look the other way for his friend. Children trump legacy imo and he failed in protecting children so he forfeited his legacy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Agree with posters about him being an accessory and what he didn't do being a problem.  But, that isn't the point here.  I can't believe that him being removed from what WAS his sole purpose in life (Penn State football), didn't accelerate his death.  I would put it in terms of when one person dies who had been married for 50+ years or whatever...their partner will soon follow.  Happens all too often.

Regardless of what happened to his reputation over the last couple months, I sure hope that their family can gain strength from one another in this difficult time.  I can't help to think of all those he did effect in a very positive way over the decades.  Unfortunately, all that will be likely overshadowed by the recent scandals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]He reported it then let Sandusky continue to bring children onto campus and practices even though the school said he wasn't allowed to. This was something that happened over decades not in a single year. Just reporting it wasn't enough. You can't just report it then wash your hands clean while you watch him bring in kid after kid to practice over the years, after the first allegation and do nothing about it. When good men do nothing evil will prevail and Joe did nothing but look the other way for his friend. Children trump legacy imo and he failed in protecting children so he forfeited his legacy
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

So you think he should've had his health care and retirement plans stripped???

Come on.  I guarantee you that if you polled campuses closely you would find several teachers who get fired for inappropriate actions (or allegations), but they don't lose their retirement plans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

In response to "Re: Joe Paterno": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Joe Paterno": He contacted the head of campus police. Penn state big wigs tried to cover it up. Let say you work with a good friend and another co worker tells you he sodomizes kids. Do you pick up the phone that second and call the police? Maybe you want to make sure it is true or at least start with another's investigative channel, none the less paterno did nothing wrong Posted by Brady2Moss07[/QUOTE] Paterno WAS one of the bigwigs covering it up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Joe Paterno : So you think he should've had his health care and retirement plans stripped??? Come on.  I guarantee you that if you polled campuses closely you would find several teachers who get fired for inappropriate actions (or allegations), but they don't lose their retirement plans.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

And I think they should have theirs pulled too.

You can't forgive one wrong action by saying well others got away with it.

Yes I do think he should of had his health insurance pulled. He was fired for protecting a child molester. It's not like he didn't make enough money in his career that he couldn't afford personal health care either so lets not blame his death on the school because they pulled his health insurance and he couldn't A) afford to get his own or B) that he was refused care because he didn't have insurance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xjz3cf5. Show xjz3cf5's posts

Rest in peace

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Joe Paterno": He reported it to the appropriate people in the college. They did nothing about it and then blamed and fired paterno. This d coordinator was a longtime friend, he had difficulty believing this was true. The guy was 85 y/o. I am a physician, and many individuals his age suffer from mild dementia, etc... I believe paterno was the big name and the scapegoat for the higher ups at penn state.
    Posted by Brady2Moss07[/QUOTE]

So why then didn't he report it to the police?  He didn't "see" what he didn't want to "see."  I didn't wish death on him, but at the end of the day, from everything I've read and heard about the case, he merely reported "something" to his bosses, then did nothing.  Not enough in this instance.  It wasn't like he though Sandusky was overusing the company cell phone.  He was raping children - big difference, and for those folks who feel he did the right thing - well, those folks would be idiots.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Joe Paterno : So you think he should've had his health care and retirement plans stripped??? Come on.  I guarantee you that if you polled campuses closely you would find several teachers who get fired for inappropriate actions (or allegations), but they don't lose their retirement plans.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Are you claiming he died because of lack of health care or money?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

"Here lies Joseph Paterno.  Formerly, he lied to cover-up a child rape scandal to protect his legacy.  Now six feet deep of soil cover him up.  But his soiled legacy will forever be exposed."

Or how about,
    "Rest in peace, Joeseph Paterno.  Your legacy rests in pieces."

I've got no sympathy for him or his family.  They conspired to protect a known child rapist so they could avoid inconvenient awkwardness.