John Elway more concerned with name of a band then the lockout

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

John Elway more concerned with name of a band then the lockout

With the NFL lockout in full swing, John Elway must really be bored.

Somehow Elway -- the Denver Broncos vice president and Hall-of-Fame quarterback -- became aware of the Fort Collins, Colo., punk band "Elway," and decided he's just not cool with the group using his surname.

The Broncos legend’s lawyer has requested that the band change its name, but stopped short of suing or issuing a cease and desist order.

The band, to its credit, was mostly amused. In a statement released via punknews.org, the band acknowledged the letter and suggested Elway had better things to do in the wake of the Broncos' disastrous 2010 season.

"We have no intention of changing the name again. We love the name, regardless of what connotations are inferred by the listener. Surely, if the Dead Kennedys could become one of punk's most popular bands without incurring litigation, Elway can keep their moniker and continue making so-so music for our dozens of fans to enjoy."

Score a point for Elway -- the band, that is. And now the group has now received more press than it ever would have had Elway minded his own business. There have to be quite a few people perusing the band's MySpace site, rocking out to songs like "Wolf Shirt," which to be honest, isn't a bad little jam.

Anyway, it's better than anything Elway or his team have produced in the last year. Maybe he's jealous

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: John Elway more concerned with name of a band then the lockout

No......I think this is the reason!

Janet Elway engaged to financial-services professional Kevin Kretzmar

Janet Elway and her fiance, Kevin Kretzmar, at a Mizel Museum dinner Thursday night. ( Photo courtesy of Steve Peterson )

Eight years after her divorce from the legendary Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway, Janet Elway is quietly sharing the happy news that she is engaged to be married.

Her fiance is Kevin Kretzmar, president of Centennial-based Safe Money and a branch manager for Summit Brokerage Services. A wedding date has not been set.

"We've been pretty low-key about this," Elway said Thursday night when she and Kretzmar joined about 1,800 others, including country singer Lee Greenwood, at a dinner where the Mizel Museum presented its 2011 Community Enrichment Award to Sharon Magness Blake.

Elway and Kretzmar have dated for more than a year and made one of their first public appearances as a couple in February when they were among the celebrity participants in the Cherry Creek Theatre production of "Love Letters."

The former Janet Buchan married John Elway in 1984. They separated in 2002 and divorced the following year. He remarried in 2009.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Should be more concerned with Denver not winning games...heres' a cool Patriots site ...http://60maxpowero.com/index.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Yeah because he is the only person on the planet with the last name Elway. What a buttknuckle.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

In Response to Re: John Elway more concerned with name of a band then the lockout:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Elway more concerned with name of a band then the lockout : Name the other famous ones.
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

As usual, you are missing the point.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

"None of us really care about football that much," Browne said Saturday in a phone interview with the Associated Press a night after performing at a small venue in Philadelphia. "It's not a direct reference to John Elway. We make no mention of him in records or in our artwork."

Being that Elway cannot have his last name copyrighted (or else there would be alot of people infringing upon it) he has absolutely no grounds for a case in court.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

If you can name your band the Dead Kennedys then I think any name is exploitable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I don't believe John Elway owns the sole rights to his last name.

On the other hand, if the band changed their name to "The Donkey-faced Elways" he might have a case.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics12345. Show Celtics12345's posts

Birthday cake

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

In Response to Re: John Elway more concerned with name of a band then the lockout:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Elway more concerned with name of a band then the lockout : My point is you called him a derogatory name based on his taking legal action with the point that he is not the only one with the last name Elway. My point about his fame is not that he owns the name but that, as the most (only?) famous person with that name, he does hve a legitimate concern with any negative associations. He does not know this band, their music, what they say or represent, how they approach their career business-wise, etc...and he is currently representing a professional sports team with a position of note. If he wasn't famous or in his current position I am not sure he would care who this band was. It's not about owning a name but protecting it. His name is his fame, like every other person whose name brings to mind immediate connections. I can understand this and it is not an ego-driven response or make him a *******. Legally, I wouldn't know either way if he had a case.

So basically what you're saying is- John Elway is concerned about a band that really no one knows exists might tarnish his good name. So he decides to take action and thrust them into the national and perhaps world spotlight by trying to protect his namesake. My bad, you're right; he's not a buttknuckle, just a dumb@ss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The suffix or prefix el is often regarded as being "god" in the bible; as in Elohim, or Raphael, Gabriel or Michael. And the way part is obvious. Too bad this won't factor in any lawsuit for Elway. And the band ain't exactly a Christian rock band. I have to wonder if there is some legal precedence regarding the Dead Kennedys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

Pearl Jam used to be Mookie Blaylock and were forced to change it due to trademark issues. Who cares....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Elway more concerned with name of a band then the lockout : well my point was the buttknuckle part...as for the DA, that's a separate argument either way, i don't know about that national/world spotlight thing..they'll get their 15 mins out of it and then fade away if they aren't good enough...we'll have to be reminded who they are in a month

I've checked out their music and I think it's pretty safe to say they won't get a second beyond their fifteen minutes.

Sections
Shortcuts