John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated?

So in a conference call, John Gruden put the Patriots in the "overrated" category? Am I missing something here? 

Hey John - who's overrating them? You?

All I've been hearing is that the Patriots are rebuilding, and it's the Jets year to shine.

Ultimately, I'm not really finding where Gruden is getting the perception that they're overrated. If anything, I'd say the Pats are underrated this year.

Just another airhead from ESPN, I guess.

I don't mind ESPN, but when they say stuff like this, it really starts to bother me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated?

Apparently his commitment to not offending anyone in hopes of still landing a job someday is gone out the window.

As shocked as I am he'd say that, I don't mind. I love this "they're hurt, they're licking their wounds, they're too young now (just a minute ago, we were too old, remember); brady doesn't have a deal, moss wants out, welker is coming off an injury, they have no good receivers after those guys, secondary is weak now." Let the Jets get all the credit.......

On NFL Live, Mark Schelereth had the Patriots are 9-7 and I used to consider him the intelligent type. What I don't get is this:

They're all former NFL players and whether they won or not, they all have some understanding of what it takes to win a ring (if not by experience then by witnessing). So then why are all of them so quick to jump on a team with no QB like the Jets? I understand some of them having a bias and I understand some of them not having done squat in the league themselves so they're just there to throw sh!t on a wall, hoping something sticks. You'd expect these guys to have more inside information on these players and make more educated guesses based on more thorough analysis. Every year, they're all WHIFFING on picks like the Cowboys, Chargers, and now the Jets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Just more evidences that the guy is a clown

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

from the guy who still can get over the loss in 01. and a guy who only won the sb because he had the opponent's entire playbook. what was he after that? what does he know about winning?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

You thought Mark Schelereth was intelligent ... really? Seriously , because I would put him on the top of the chitbag sandwhich former NFL player turn analyst list. Hes right up there w/ Emmit Smith and Trent Dilfer ... who BTW sounded like he was chit faced everytime he was on air.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

he just keeps digging himself a hole

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In Response to Re: John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated?:
    [QUOTE]This is perfect for the Patriots.  Now teams won't practice before playing them or even play their best players.  The Patriots love to be the underdog.  They think that it gives them some headup on their opponents. 
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, Fat Rex said last year that his team loved to be the underdog in the playoffs.

And how exactly does this claim hold any weight? When did the Patriots ever say that they loved being the underdog? And why does it matter?

You're a troll, plain and simple. If you were a Jets fan and you were positively contributing to conversations, that'd be one thing. 

But you're just going from thread to thread and posting obnoxious comments which are clearly trying to get you attention and "stir the pot".

Please leave, you troll. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phizzeldickus. Show Phizzeldickus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated? : Ugh, you don't. And if you would stop crying about being disrespected by the media, claiming ESPN has some sort of anti Patriot bias then these ridiculous threads would not exist. 
    Why does everyone get confused with ESPN?.. They are not just there to report the news, they are there to stir the pot!

Does anyone remember how Dallas in the late 70's was America's team? then they became hated. Same with the Raiders, Giants, San Fran.  Everytime you have a home town hero you have to have some guys putting them down, its all hype, thats their jobs. 

If you are liking the guy reporting, he's doing his job. If your hating them and the team reports, they are doing their job.  If you have a guy like me Bashing and calling out Russgriswold, then Im doing America's job (YAY!)....If you have a guy like Emmitt Smith reporting that cant read, write, talk or do anything right, then someone needs to be FIRED. John Gruden is on there to stir the pot, I personally liked Joe Theismann when ever or where ever he spoke, he always spoke well of Brady and the Patriots, Gruden I think would slap his mother in the face on camera if it got him ratings, thats the way he comes off to me. Dont let it bother you, because thats their job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated? : Ugh, you don't. And if you would stop crying about being disrespected by the media, claiming ESPN has some sort of anti Patriot bias then these ridiculous threads would not exist. 

This coming from a guy that routes for a team that was crying that Revis was Defensive player of the year and the best corner in the NFL but now they won't pay him...The Jets are the biggest cry babies in sports

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Has anyone seen a pediction from Gruden on are overall record this year?

If the vast majority are saying 9-7 and this is overated he must see us as a .500 team or worse. Would really like to see him pull out his ***** and go on the record saying we are at best an 8-8 team. Think he would be to shook to go against the Pat's this way, therefore it seems to me he was talking about himself when he said they were being overated, he just can't mentally write us off after seeing BB shred it up for 10 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Well, say what you want about ESPN, but their are people who actually believe that the Jets are better than the Pats. Many on this board have The Pats starting the season 0-2. 

The Jets are the overrated team by definition. Sanchez is the new Peyton Manning. He's in 3 commercials so far. The Jets defense is weaker than it was last year, their offense is weaker than it was last year. If they are riding on Mark Sanchez's arm they'll go nowhere. This isn't spite, this is my honest opinion. If any team in the AFC East is going upset the Patriots and take the East it will be the Dolphins. The Jets aren't a very good team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated....................

it's because they are. the whole AFC East is overrated

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

chuckie been smashed, stabbed, beat up, bludgeoned and burned one to many times....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

@jbolted....   well how many sb's your team won....   thats what i thought shut up son...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Overrated based on what?

Where people are actually putting their money, these sites for instance

http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_futures_odds.shtml
    http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

says the Pats are 7th and 5th respectivley to win the Super Bowl.

I know that Bill can mold a bunch of young players into a great defense in a long season and the offense could be really explosive this year ala 2007. We also know a lot can happen over a season and the Patriots might not be deep as we like in some defensive areas.

The talking heads on TV seem to like the Jets..but the people putting money down and not just hot air are saying the Patiots will finish ahead in the AFC East.

I did not see Gruden's talk, I would seem to think the TV personalities generally underate them and Las Veges is spot on as it has to be. I think the Partiots have a legit chance of going all the way but quite a bit has to go right.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

[QUOTE]John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated.................... it's because they are. the whole AFC East is overrated
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

LOL!  Then the AFC West is exactly where they should be...the worst division in the NFL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]@jbolted....   well how many sb's your team won....   thats what i thought shut up son...
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]
    First of all, Gruden is talking about this year. Secondly, the Chargers were 3 games better than the Patriots last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated? : Overrated by definition?  What does that even mean?  I think that is fair about the D.  When you have the best defense and best running game, it is hard stay on top.  Add to that, missing the best corner in the NFL and that only compiles the situation.  The Jets D, without Revis may very well drop to #4 or #5.  You would be daft if you believed that adding Holmes and LT to a passing game is not going to make it better.  Running game will decreased yardage and increase average.  Passing game will improve, offense overall will improve. All that being said, are you thinking that the Pats D has improved? What is this issue you have with commercials?  Is that against the secret rules of being an NFL QB that you live by?

over·rate

vt \ˈō-vər-ˌrāt\

Definition of OVERRATE

: to rate, value, or estimate too highly

The Jets are SB contenders after the Colts let them into the preseason and they beat up a failing Bengals team and an overrated Chargers team. On offense, I'll believe Sanchez can lead a team when he does. The Jets do not scare me, the Dolphins present a bigger threat to me. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated? : First of all, Gruden is talking about this year. Secondly, the Chargers were 3 games better than the Patriots last year.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Well, the Chargers are so good. WHO PLAYS IN THE AFC WEST? The loser Broncos? The horrid Raiders? Well, what about the almighty Chiefs? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to John Gruden Believes The Patriots Are Overrated? : Yeah, you've been hearing that from Griswold.  "It's their first year in a new system...20 new players in 2 years...had to replace all the linebackers in one year...Brady was hurt...we're rebuilding"  It is sickening.  The Patriots are not overrated.  Aside from a handful of offensive players and a couple D, they are just lacking much talent.

Really.  Lacking talent.  Nice.  And your team has talent?  Like the kind that scored a total of 20 points in two games?  Yeah, and that was first round high pick talent, too.  I will grant you the defense is good, great with Revis in.  But puuuhhhhhlllleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeee don't tell me you somehow outstripped us in sheer talent.  Your Offense looks as crippled in the last two games as our defense did against the Rams.  AT BEST it's a wash.  Don't get on a high horse, it's a long way to fall back down.  And stop taking cheap shots, just to see if anyone notices.  THAT is when you become a troll, Mr. Phat.