John Henderson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maddog67. Show Maddog67's posts

John Henderson

If we're giving Gerard Warren a chance, shouldn't we kick the tires on this guy too ?  Since he's being released, we may be able to get him on the cheap.  He's 6'7", 330lbs, and only 31 (roughly the same size and age as Richard Seymour)

He may not be a sack master, but he'd be an asset on running downs.

-Maddog

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Re: John Henderson

Gerard at least has played DE.... Henderson is just too big to fit as an end in a primary 3-4

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maddog67. Show Maddog67's posts

He's only 20lbs heavier than seymour and actually 10 lbs lighter than the Ravens Haloti Ngata .. one of the best 3-4 DE's in the game.

Also, Jacksonville has played the occaisional 3-4 over the past couple of years and when the did Henderson was lined up at DE.

I know it's a reach, but I keep seeing that opening play TD run by Ray Rice over and over in my head and I can't help wishing for is some good old fashioned run stoppers !

Response to Re: John Henderson:
    Gerard at least has played DE.... Henderson is just too big to fit as an end in a primary 3-4
    Posted by rebels1520

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Sign him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

I like big john i just worry about a RB with wheels going to his side and just taking an angle and being untouched... scary

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

not any more scary than what we have lined up there now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maddog67. Show Maddog67's posts

Ooops ... Haloti is actually the Jags NT .. so your probably right about Big John being too big and slow for the pats at DE .. maybe NT ?

Looks like the Chiefs are bringing him in for a workout at NT .. maybe we could do the same .. he could spell Big Vince at NT and play straight DT when we go 4-3 ???

He's only 20lbs heavier than seymour and actually 10 lbs lighter than the Ravens Haloti Ngata .. one of the best 3-4 DE's in the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Depends on the price.

Henderson and Marcus Stroud once formed the best 4-3 DT tandem in the NFL.  They were akin to the Williams wall and they were still able to collapse the pocket from the interior, which is significantly more difficult than edge rushing.

From that perspective, maybe he could use his size and power to collapse the pocket from the DE position or as a pass rush NT.

My only concern is that he's played in 4-3 defenses his whole career - does he have the technique to be more than an oversized luxury pass rusher?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I think Henderson has the length necessary to be a 3-4 end.  He may not have the quickness to wreak the kind of havoc that Seymour did, but he could compete with Gerard Warren for the run stuffing duties on early downs while Wright and others take over as penetrators for 3rd down passing situations.  It looks like there is some interest around the league for him though, so it might be hard to get Henderson to sign here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Let the Patriots go back to the early-BB days of situational schemes with a mix of tough savy veterans with a few youngsters full of uriiiiiiine and vinegar.  Henderson  could be the Bobby Hamilton or Anthony Pleasant for the next generation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Richard Seymour at his heaviest was 317

his last year in NE he was under 300

he IS WAY more agile than this beast

Beside i am sure he was offered up in the draft so if they felt he was a possibility i think they would have made a move then and saved Gerard the time he waisted siging that contract

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

think they would have made a move then and saved Gerard the time he waisted siging that contract.

Unintentional comedy is the best!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4cXZGkRMCY
    this guy is a beast
    if we could sign him to play LBA, thats Left BadAss...

i think he would work out well as a DE for us, but i also really like the two veterans that we have signed in Lewis and Warren, i think between the two of them and some rooks and 2nd year players we should be good to go

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maddog67. Show Maddog67's posts

There have been some questions of where Henderson -- 6'7" and 335 pounds -- would play. But, as SB Nation's Big Cat Country pointed out, he played defensive end when the Jaguars were in a 3-4 last year. Wright asked him if he came to Kansas City because of potential playing time along the defensive line, specifically nose tackle. Henderson didn't say anything about nose tackle but did indicate he was willing to lose some weight to play defensive end.

"If coach thinks I need to drop some pounds and be 325, I can definitely do that if they want me at [defensive] end," he said. "It's all about me being flexible and being able to move and pass rush when it's time to rush. I can do it at 330 but I'm flexible to do anything."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

Love to see this guy in a pats uni.  Imagine the beef up front if we team him with Big vince and Ty "under-rated" warren.  Thats 3 guys who could weigh more than many 4-3 lines in the league!  That would certainly stop guys like Rice running over us come Dec and Jan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

I'm not at all sold on Gerard Warren, As I said before I'm a Rhode Islander living in Jacksonville. This guy is a beast.  You bring him to New England and with the new Lb's we just drafted there will be no more running on the Patriots! Talk about collapsing the pocket you'll have flashbacks of Ted Washington 2004. He will help  those new line backers by buying them time to develop ! Gerard Warren is a draft bust journeyman.

Sections
Shortcuts