John Lynch Blasts Bill Polian

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

John Lynch Blasts Bill Polian

Interesting side note. John Lynch was a guest on Colin Cowherd's radio show today and he was asked if the new NFL rules favor any team in particular. He said the team that comes to mind is Arizona because of how the receivers aren't allowed to be touched anymore. The funny thing is he talked about how this wasn't always the case until "People like Bill Polian and Mike Martz went whining to the league."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Re: John Lynch Blasts Bill Polian

He was a defensive player, what did you expect? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

True, but I've never heard a player come out and speak about this. I know Patriots fans always discuss it but I hadn't ever heard it from a player before.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Whether he was a defensive player or not is irrelevant in my opinion.  The facts are the facts, elite offensive teams went crying to the league because they were getting beat up by tough defenses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"WOW you guys got your a##s handed to you like a nerd punk at prom and you're sweating the Colts?  Better clean up your back yard before you worry about someone elses kitchen."

Jesus...this has gotta be the worst couple of metaphors I've ever seen or heard from by someone old enough to string together words in meaningful sentences.  Neither of them have any sort of connection between the two or complimentary visual images within them seperately...and Togah, the first one doesn't even make sense.  You cold have used some tired old $5 phrase and came out looking better: "a##s"-"rented mule", "prom"-""used and abused prom queen", "clean up your back yard before worrying about someone's kitchen"-"...better stop being a maid's door mat, and tell her to get ta' cleanin' your house."

Instead of going with, "You got destroyed like an orange mule raking the kitchen,"  Try taking an extra second to think out your delsusions... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the rule on no contact with the receiver after 5 yards was on the books prior to the games against the Colts and Rams where the patriot dbs were mugging them 10-15 yards down field.  It's not as if new rules were made after the fact.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

No need to Tas.  You just said it for me. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The truth is that the rules were indeed in place all along.  It is also true that Polian was a significant factor in those rules being re-emphasized and enforcement tightened.  I always feel like both sides of this issue are playing semantics and being somewhat disingenuous.  

Not being an expert on this, but I imagine there are a lot of rules on the books in the NFL that have varying level of enforcement.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Oh good . . .

are we going to have another 20-page thread about the "point of emphasis?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Killa, agreed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Killa, I guess some find it a mere coincidence that the Colts finally came through once the rule enforcement practices were changed.  You are correct that Brady won "before" there were enforcement changes for protecting QB's.  

An analogy would be:

Robert Kraft, disappointed in how his team was robbed of NFL history in 2007 by the Giants D, and eliminated from the playoffs this year by the Ravens, lobbies the NFL to change the enforcement of holding penalties by the offensive line.  Offense sells tickets after all.  The NFL changes it rules, and the Patriots offense can no longer be stopped.  We go on to win a SB....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Laz,

I think togah's use was appropriate. My understanding is that he got beat up at the prom a lot. Apparently, he didn't actually have a date to the prom. He would just go and proposition the other kids sheep.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

bejeuss or whatever your name is,Revis mugs the WR all the way! He dowesn't play a clean game,that being said he is on the commissioners team.WWE referees don't throw flags on the commissioners team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

"The guy obviously can't make anything happen on his own."

WHO CAN IN THE NFL?!?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

So Manning has only had a running game once?

T-T-T-T-Tool!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

It is what it is.  The rules benefit ALL teams the same.  We should go get the tallest fastest receivers we can find, and just run them straight down the sidelines EVERY play.  Get some brick wall sized beef up on the O line, and just heave the thing down the field, and wait for the catch or the PI call.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laz, I think togah's use was appropriate. My understanding is that he got beat up at the prom a lot. Apparently, he didn't actually have a date to the prom. He would just go and proposition the other kids sheep."

LMAO...I'm loving It.  Actually, a shame on me for not being more sympathetic, but yet for most mere mortals, It becomes rather hard to empathize (literally-'feel unto') someone else, when the other person's experiences are so out of the empathizing individual's realm of life (or what amounts to, the boundaries of any sort of human normalcy)...

RE: Brady and the QB Rules VERSES Manning and the PI Rules...Simple, somewhat small difference:  Goodell enforced the PI Rules in a time for Peyton Manning to Win a Superbowl...Goodell enforced the QB Rules in a time after Tom Brady was limping around on crutches... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

...odd ommiting Elway's failures before a good rb, Montana's wr help (*cough-"pre-back surgery"), and Favra-aah's cannon arm interception-ratio...weird. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

Whew! Have I been delusional.  Here I thought that Brady was an elite QB only to learn on this forum that he is a stripe ahead of Ryan Leaf.  if the Patriots put him on the block they probably couldn't even get a second round pick for him.  Look he can't play against pressure, even though this is the first time he has lost to the Ravens.  i also can't figure out how he beat the Steelers so many times with their pass rush, or the Chargers.  Quick, how many teams scored 31 or more points against the Jets this year?
    As for Polian, if the rules were mot enforced stringently enough in the past, they are being enforced too stringently now.  there are far too many PI calls and all too frequently there is no real interference going on.  Let's face it, with the PI rules being enforced the only way to succeed against the better QB's is with a great pass rush (which the Colts have to bolster a mediocre D).  The Patriots do not and it is true, their O line is not very good from tackle to tackle.  Were it not for Brady, they would be below 500

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

This thread piqued my interest.

Obviously nobody has actually WATCHED Revis play cornerback.

Yes, he's good, but he gets away with contact that would have a Patriots corner ejected from the game.  He holds, he bodies up more than 5 yards downfield, he grabs receivers harms and hands when they're trying to go up for the catch...

And I would LIKE it, if only EVERY cornerback could do those things.

Instead, the passing game is turning into the NBA, where the rules are meant to protect superstars and favored teams, under the conspicuous umbrella of "judgment calls."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I have never understood about why Patriot fans complain so much about this "rule change" or reemphasis of an existing rule. We have one of the 2 best quarterbacks in the NFL over the last 10 years. We won a superbowl in 2004 in spite of the rule and with the help of the rule in 2007 we went 16-0. So since this rule change we have been to 2 superbowls and the Colts have been to one (maybe they will get another one this year). So I don't understand why we complain so much about this. It's Belichek's fault if he has maybe the best quarterback in football and he doesn't take advantage of the rule change. I think him and McDaniels did try to exploit the rule in 2007 by getting Moss and by running the spread so much. Problem in 2009 was they lost Gaffney and never competently replaced him. I don't think Aiken made a catch where he got hit all year or when he had to dive for it.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

ccnes, it's because the Patriots rarely benefit from those rule changes

typically, they're called against the Patriots in key moments, like in the 2005 divisional playoffs when Samuel was called for interference 5 yards away from a Broncos' receiver by a referee who was 40 yards from the play (the back judge who was underneath the goal post called it from the back of the end zone while the side judge who was at the 10 yard line where the play took place watched the play transpire without taking any disciplinary action... and the ball was uncatchable)

Or Ellis Hobbs for "faceguarding" in the 2006 AFC Championship Game, mentioned frequently enough around here.

Did you know that, despite having TWO Pro Bowl receivers (one of whom is a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer), the Pats only got TWO pass interference calls all year (and one of them was called on a Benjamin Watson pass attempt against Carolina)

ONLY ONE F*CK*NG PASS INTERFERENCE WAS COMMITTED AGAINST RANDY MOSS AND WES WELKER ALL YEAR.  ACCORDING TO THE NFL, ONLY ONCE DID A DEFENDER HIT EITHER OF THEM BEFORE THE BALL ARRIVED WITHOUT EITHER BEING IN THE PATH OF THE BALL OR MAKING A PLAY ON THE BALL WHILE LOOKING AT IT.

IN.F*CK*NG.CREDIBLE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Nick those examples you gave don't actually involve the "rule" as I understand it. It was more about holding a receiver past 5 yards which would not be considered PI unless the ball was in the air. I have no idea about how many PI calls we have received since this "rule change" but it seems that counting defensive holding calls would be more accurate gauge of who has been helped by the rule change.
       Ref's make mistakes. If I thought in any way these  games were fixed I would stop watching. Stars and floppers get the calls. Welker, doesn't run the deeper routes and he never flops so he just isn't going to get the type of calls a Dallas Clark or Austin Collie might get (a slot guy who does go deep and a flopper). Moss gets doubled a lot and he has earned the reputation for pushing off so he probably gets doubly screwed there by the refs. I might be wrong but I felt in 2007 we benefited from a few timely calls (remember the Raven's game). The Bledsoe Patriots seemed to always used to get clutch PI calls. Remember the back to back endzone PI calls in the final seconds against the Bills and Dolphins in 1998 which put the Pats in the playoffs. Now those were ticky tack.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I was hoping someone would get on here and give me the stats on the defensive holding calls since this rule change. Do you have them Nick, or anyone else?
       If you can show me that we don't get a fair share of those calls I will maybe offer a minor mea culpa but otherwise this is still a bunch of phooey to me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The league doesn't offer statistics on which calls are made in favor of which teams because it would encourage fans to be critical of their refereeing.

My complaint focused on the fact that I can only recall a handful of calls made against opposing secondaries despite the Patriots featuring two Pro Bowl level receivers, one of whom is a future Hall of Famer.

There were only two pass interference calls made against opposing secondaries this year:
    (1) Carolina, in a ridiculous call on a linebacker covering Watson on a wheel route up the sideline where the linebacker barely touched Watson, was in the path of the ball, and was clearly making a play on the ball.
    (2) Buffalo, in a game that wasn't broadcast here in New Rochelle, NY

The only illegal contact penalty I can remember was against the Atlanta Falcons, whose cornerback was playing the deep third across from the offensive left, where Joey Galloway was trying to run a stop and go route.  The corner lost track of the ball and proceeded simply to shove Galloway while the ball sailed 5 yards downfield.

The other illegal contact penalty was called Sunday against the Ravens, who apparently bumped Julian Edelman, although my seats were in the 3rd row at the opposite end of the stadium from where the play took place, so I didn't see what happened.

Sections
Shortcuts