Jonathan Dwyer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Jonathan Dwyer

Watching video of him and he seems like a Toby Gerhart with breakaway speed. I also notice how he keeps his pads low when he runs, very good style. 

OK, I've now changed my mind, this guy is who we should grab. Several mock drafts have him going to us too. 

Watch the YouTube videos of him and you'll see what I mean. Big. Tough. Fast. Keeps his shoulders down. Me like. ;-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Jonathan Dwyer

I've been watching this kid since he was in high school (Kell High Marietta, GA). 

He will only get better as he has been doing for a few years.  This kid by draft day will be a top 15 pick.  He has it all and his attitude will convince clubs that are undecided once they interview him.

Gerhart is who will be available, not much of a drop.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Honestly, idk who gave this forum the Jonathen Dwyer Highlight reel link at the Beginning of This past College Season, but they were right on the money.  Although still questioning How much of Dwyer's overall stats can be attributed to Ga Tech's option offense, It did nothing to curtail what I saw regarding Jonathen Dwyer's Skills: Big guy can run Between the Tackles, Hits the hole fast & hard, Cuts on a freakin' dime, Can catch the tough pass, and Most of ALL, When this kid gets to the open field, He Is Long Long Gone, As he was over and over again outrunning DefensiveBacks...

But yea, Toby Gerhart's Highlight Reel and Overall Skills were just about the same...except for Gerhart was simply towing College Kids who were drapped off him as he was breaking massive 10 yard runs, while Dwyer was bowling over, straight-arming, cutting back on, or merely running past his defenders as he was breaking 40 yard runs, all the while playing far better competition and having close to a 2 yard increase of difference in yard per touch than Gerhart, and being almost exactly the same size (Gerhart's less than an inch taller and 4 pounds more), And Dwyer running a 4.4 40 while Gerhart apparently (lmao...will never happen) runs a 4.58 40...same difference though. 

Yet, while both are noted to be intelligent, extremely hard workers, IMHO New England should go with Toby Gerhart, because He's from better academic school and therefore he might have an increased chance, not to outrun the defense, but to outwit them...and runningback in particular is the single position you would take a far less naturally gifted player although smart player, for someone who graduated Stanford.  So that's decided...good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

He would be a great fit for our backfield plus between the tackles
    and also isnt scared of contact unlike a certain RB who wears #39  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Would love him on our team.  He is in my top 4 to get.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

id love to draft him.  hes a tough runner

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Anyone have any video on him with a big game against a top ranked team? I haven't seen him really play but looking over his stats a bit he seems to put up all of his big days except for a couple against the unranked teams.

For the most part it looked like he was averaging 3.6 yrds per carry a game or less against the good teams and then putting up more than 8 yrds per carry against the unranked average teams of that given year.

I would have to agree with Lazarus about his point of not knowing how the GT offensive system attributed to Dwyer's numbers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from uknepatsfan. Show uknepatsfan's posts

I thought Dwyer had 2nd round grades?

Look, the first and absolutely vital need in this draft is pass rushing talent and an offensive guard wh can run block and stop Brady getting blitzed up the middle. 

Those two needs should be addressed first, by which time I expect C J Spiller, Jahvid Best and Jonathan Dwyer, all my personal fave rock carriers in this years draft, will be long gone.

Good backs like Charles Scott, Ryan Matthews, Gerhardt et al can be had once those two major needs are filled.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

I would 100% love this guy.  But Bill will trade our 1st rounder for a second rounder and a 5th.... and in the 2nd round we can pick another Chad Jackson or Ron Brace.

In Bill I am starting not to Trust.  p.s. Clay Mathews would have looked good in a Patriots uniform.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

can pat fan, and all the other who whine.  BB traded totally out of the 1st ONCE. Not every year.  Get over it.  He set us up nicely to have 3 2nd rd picks in a very deep draft.  So Brace has stunk it up so far.  Who hits on every pick? Sure not the Jets with Gholston.  I am tired of the complaints of we are just going trade down again, like we do every year.  We DONT do that.  Did u just become a fan last year?  Then I can see u saying that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

uknepatsfan

Don't know if all RB's will be taken before Pats pick. We are 22nd ...........who will go before that ....CJ Spiller?

J Best has been injured and needs to build up in the top part of his body. Pats could get the next best in the 2nd round I think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

Walterfootball.com has us taking Dwyer with 2nd round pick # 53.
    www.walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

Hers is a youtube highlight reel of Dwyer.
     www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ65q2J9Qx8

then watch C.J. Spiller turn it on. DAMM! WF has him going #13 to SF.
    He makes Dwyer look avg.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

ps Have posted thread about O Line ......not really built for run protection
    so that needs to vastly improve first otherwise doesn't matter who you have at running back you will get smashed behind the line of scrimmage,.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think this is a case that I wouldn't be upset with either of them, Toby or Dwyer, been a Patriot.  I think both will end up playing and making a contribution their rookie season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

First: 12/5/2009
    Last: 1/13/2010
    uknepatsfan

Don't know if all RB's will be taken before Pats pick. We are 22nd ...........who will go before that ....CJ Spiller?

Walterfootball has Spiller at #13 to SF and Jahvid Best (Cal) at #34 to Detroit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Low FB IQ and ALL:

~Can't take credit for it, But THIS (below) was the video offered to this forum by someone at the beginning of the season... Pay close attention to his cut-back around :40, His stiff-arm @ 2:40, and His soft-hands @ 3:10 (not sure if I got the times correct, but you guys will know...believe me). 

And you're dead-on FB-IQ, As it's so tough judging Dwyer by his numbers... Although in his defense, RE: The Ga Tech Offense, They not only play ACC opponents, but Dwyer in their spread option O, seems to have kinda snuck up even to the good teams they played last season...Yet, this year ANY intelligent Football Team would have placed more defenders in the box (and funny, I was listening to an analyst about game-planning against Tech, and he essentially said to Always have at least 1 of your Safeties near the line, have NO fear of Ga Tech's passing game, and just try to shut Dwyer down)...  Anyway, here ya go ALL, and Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rmS4fh-z4

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Running back isn't a huge need but Spiller is seriously dangerous. 

Spiller was the only player in the FBS to score a touchdown in every game in the 2009 season.

He set the FBS record for kickoff return touchdowns with seven during his career.

He's one of only five players to ever gain 7000 all-purpose yards.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

rjhenne, as much as I think McClain is going to be awesome, I have no desire to move up if it costs any of our rnd 2 picks.  We have too many needs in a deep draft that can be filled with those picks. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"He set the FBS record for kickoff return touchdowns with seven during his career.
    He's one of only five players to ever gain 7000 all-purpose yards."

Little Historical Note: In 2005, The New England Patriots Drafted a runningback from Minnesotta, who was one of the more productive backs during his collegiate career...The Indianapolis Colts decided to Draft a similiar style runningback who had at the time, very similiar tangibles, but didn't have nearly as much use in before being in the NFL...How'd that work out for each franchise?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I am assuming you are talking about Maroney but who's the other? Addai? I don't follow other teams or college ball much.

Also if you are down on Maroney you got the wrong guy cause I have no issues with him at the moment. He can't help his early injuries. When he is healthy and they make a commitment to run the ball he has run very well. Sure he had some hesitation he was working through after coming back form the injury. Yeah he had a few fumbles this season. They were exaggerated by the timing unfortunately but it was still something like only 3 fumbles in his last 600 caries or some really excellent percentage like that. Kevin Faulk had worse fumbleitiss in his early years here than Maroney ever has. Again I am sure people forget that.

They changed to a finesse team and do not make a commitment to run the ball. They brought in other backs but none have done better and he remains the starter. He started the playoff game but the game plan went out the window when Brady turned the ball over 3 times in the 1st quarter and they went with Faulk and the passing attack the rest of the way.

They also "choose" to not get him involved in the passing game just like they don't use the TE's in the passing game. That's not his fault either. When they do use him he is very successful with the ball in his hands in the open field. Half his career receptions are for fist downs. I don't know if that is good for a back or not but seems pretty good.

I was looking at that stat earlier today. He had something close to a 1st down per pass caught. The kid is 24 with very low mileage on him. 

Fans are over the top and quick to forget. I always see people talking about how great Willie Mcginist was because he had a couple key highlight moments that stick with us. Ever look at his numbers? Very Unimpressive but more importantly he was always hurt and couldn't stay on the field in his early days and everyone was calling him a bust. People forget that stuff. He ultimately became a very god player and helped us win some super bowls.

But hey I was one of the few lunatics complaining about how they were calling their Offensive system when they were breaking all the records in 2007. I thought they were very lucky on a lot of those passes deep into double and triple coverage to Moss and I thought it would catch up to them.

I am more critical when things are going well and more forgiving when things are going bad. I try not to go off the deep end in either direction.

All that being said I do understand what you are saying Laz. I wasn't saying we should draft Spiller. Only that Spiller REALLY jumps out at you when you watch a game he's in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Game Changer

Last time I checked there were only 32 picks in the first round. Detriot at 34th pick is in second round.

My comment was that CJ Spiller would possibly be the only one to go in the first round before the Pats pick.

Walter football agrees with me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianpastamasta1. Show italianpastamasta1's posts

It's all about Jahvid Best.  I watched all the top RB highlight reels and Best impresses me more than any of the others (including Spiller). 

All Spiller's plays are screens/kick returns/ outside runs.  I saw very little between the tackle runs and that is what you need to be succsessful in the NFL.  He also seems to have problems holding on to the ball (a little bit of fumbilitis). 

Gerhart is very good at reading his blocks and may be underrated.  He does have some break-away speed although he probably won't be able to run over guys in the NFL like he did in college.  He looks kind of like the RB version of Tim Tebow. 

Dwyer is impressive but and he reads blocks pretty well but I'm not sold on how he will translate to an NFL style offense.  He has the talent but will he take too long to understand NFL blocking schemes?  In Best's highlights I saw every type of run/pass he could be asked to do in the NFL.  He has everything you look for in a RB except maybe the ability to run over people.  He's quick/shifty/really fast with good vision.  When he has a big hole to run through he takes it to the house.  With smaller lanes to work with he almost always finds a way to make something happen.  He's a more explosive Kevin Faulk. 

Sections
Shortcuts