Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority"

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

^ wow. You must have been hitting the Canadian Rye. 

Hey Pro, think fast, at the time of the signing, was Fanene a solid investement? 290 pounds, 6 sacks and solid against the run on back to back seasons for a great D line. Yes or no? 

Every bit as solid as the Adrian Wilson signing.

[Flashback]

This is like every Bugs Bunny cartoon where Elmer Fudd lays a trap to try to catch Bugs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Oh my goodness....being an ole' timer I so very much enjoy trips down memory lane now and then....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know who dug this thread up, but it is very telling of why you never want to listen to the koolaiders on this site...between this thread, the A. Wilson thread...the koolaiders are thoroughly exposed. And if you want to be a koolaider...fine...go ahead, but don't get mad at people that are just trying to be objective.

This team went dumpster diving in free agency over the last 5 years...why they decided to go that route is anyone's guess, but that's exacty what they did. It's nice to see that things changed a little bit this off season...it's long overdue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Even Kool Aid, in copious amounts, can lead to toxic shock............

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I wish they had landed Red Bryant instead, he would of been reason for teams to stop doubling Vince on every play. A difference maker...

Hey mthurl, you were right. 

People are going to say, "he wasn't a difference maker", but the truth is he would have helped... a lot. And for all the people that say he wasn't a difference maker....those are the same people that run around here all day long telling everyone that stats don't matter.

The truth is when we were interested in this guy he was a guy who could move really well for a guy his size - I watched him in that SF playoff game a couple of months ago and he can still move really well. The guy was signed to another pretty decent free agent contract....much more than we can say about Fanene.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I wish they had landed Red Bryant instead, he would of been reason for teams to stop doubling Vince on every play. A difference maker...

Hey mthurl, you were right. 

People are going to say, "he wasn't a difference maker", but the truth is he would have helped... a lot. And for all the people that say he wasn't a difference maker....those are the same people that run around here all day long telling everyone that stats don't matter.

The truth is when we were interested in this guy he was a guy who could move really well for a guy his size - I watched him in that SF playoff game a couple of months ago and he can still move really well. The guy was signed to another pretty decent free agent contract....much more than we can say about Fanene.

Bryant was a solid performer throughout his time with the Seahawks and a team captain. Big guys in the middle never have impressive stats but they play an important role.  This guy played that role well.  

Fanene . . . well he never played any role at all after the Pats signed him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

LMAO, Same knuckleheads spewing their unconditional teenybopper love for everything BB.  Just another blunder in the long list of blunders by the Patriots GM.  2004 is a very long time ago.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Typical. BB would rather sign a few lower profile guys than a big name. That way if they fail little is made of it, but if they excel he gets credit for being a smart guy. It helps make him look good, but I'm not sure how that strategy is actually helping put the team over the top.

Typical BB move. He just doesnt get that the NAME is everything. And paying more must mean you get not only a better player but a better team. Why put some of the same money in another payer. Just get a few guys and when ANYONE gets hurt you can blame the lost season on that. It is not like injuries happen all the time anyway.

And besides, it is more about giving the fans names as well known as say, American Idol contestants. Yup. Being a SB contender EVERY year is all about name recognition and spending like Snyder of the Washington football team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

LMAO, Same knuckleheads spewing their unconditional teenybopper love for everything BB.  Just another blunder in the long list of blunders by the Patriots GM.  2004 is a very long time ago.

THe Magic Helmet - was that an opera by Motzart or the luckiest play in SB history?

Taking a lead in 2011 late in the game... with an injured Gronk and Mankins. Yup. That was one awful team.

Getting to the AFC championship all by itself for one year or even two is not truly special. But when you get there how many times?

Going 16-0.. all luck. ANd with all those bad moves that BB makes....

So let's talk about TODAY. Who are the two best teams in the AFC RIGHT NOW? Pats and Broncos. And both look better now than last year.

You would appear less the oaf if you kept claiming the world was flat and the moon walk was a hoax.

You are a joke... and sometimes funny. But sometimes sad. SO maybe you are more a clown than a joke... you know - funny and sad... but mostly sad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Not EVERY move can be earth shaking like some (few) people here complain about. Fact is bringing in a solid player, especially at a position where we have little quality depth and where the starters would play better if kept fresher, is an important thing. Even if it is not "awsome". It is part of building a solid team with a shot at greatness.

It does not eliminate the other needs. It does not bring in a guy who will change things big time (like Revis). It does make this team better now if they land him.

Thank you BB for CONTINUING to address the details. It is one of the big things that sets you apart from people like Ring Kissing Rex... and a handful of people here.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority":
    Weight doesnt always tell you everything. 2 guys can both way 250, but one can be fat and the other all muscle. My point is, they dont have the same built. Wright was reported to be the biggest eater on the team and strongest player we had outside of Wilfork, so his 290 is not the same as Fanene who is much more agile. You would have to watch Fanene play to understand what I mean, I guess.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I have watched Fanene play. He appears more agile because he's set further outside as a large 43 DE for the Cinn. Wright was mainly used inside and as a 34 DE. You play each position in different ways with different tools. Fanene also is a heavy hitter in the weight room too and that's visible when he stands RB's up (why he's considered an excellent run defender because of his strength on the edge) I've seen Wright play outside 43 DE (C, D gaps) on occassion and when he did he appeared much quicker and had a very good dip move he couldn't used when he generally lined up over the A and B gaps (just not enough space to build up momentum and speed).

Both are very fit trim guys with lots of muscle and not much of a gut. Calling one slender and one a big hunk of meat is not a proper comparison. It's like comparing Vollmer to Solder and saying Vollmer is slender and Solder is a big hunk of meat

Sounds like pats eng liked the fanene signing.....what do you know...!!! Lol

And prolate, yeah Bryant was better(against the run) the Fanene was, but Fanene cost 12 million and Bryant cost 35 million. If this was a video game, then yes, we should have just signed Bryant, but its real life buddy.

Hey True, go back to page one and read what I said. Was a solid signing but wasn't anything more than a G. Warren signing and didn't think he was any better than Deadrick. Not to mention I'd much rather have BRYANT! way back on page one. So True looks like I was right about Fanene being a starter as he never started!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority":
    Weight doesnt always tell you everything. 2 guys can both way 250, but one can be fat and the other all muscle. My point is, they dont have the same built. Wright was reported to be the biggest eater on the team and strongest player we had outside of Wilfork, so his 290 is not the same as Fanene who is much more agile. You would have to watch Fanene play to understand what I mean, I guess.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I have watched Fanene play. He appears more agile because he's set further outside as a large 43 DE for the Cinn. Wright was mainly used inside and as a 34 DE. You play each position in different ways with different tools. Fanene also is a heavy hitter in the weight room too and that's visible when he stands RB's up (why he's considered an excellent run defender because of his strength on the edge) I've seen Wright play outside 43 DE (C, D gaps) on occassion and when he did he appeared much quicker and had a very good dip move he couldn't used when he generally lined up over the A and B gaps (just not enough space to build up momentum and speed).

Both are very fit trim guys with lots of muscle and not much of a gut. Calling one slender and one a big hunk of meat is not a proper comparison. It's like comparing Vollmer to Solder and saying Vollmer is slender and Solder is a big hunk of meat

Sounds like pats eng liked the fanene signing.....what do you know...!!! Lol

And prolate, yeah Bryant was better(against the run) the Fanene was, but Fanene cost 12 million and Bryant cost 35 million. If this was a video game, then yes, we should have just signed Bryant, but its real life buddy.

Hey True, go back to page one and read what I said. Was a solid signing but wasn't anything more than a G. Warren signing and didn't think he was any better than Deadrick. Not to mention I'd much rather have BRYANT! way back on page one. So True looks like I was right about Fanene being a starter as he never started!

Eng, you show up pretty well on these old threads.  Good work!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

"It's a decent move."  
    Pats Eng in regard to the Fanene signing when it happened.

Compared to....

"Fanene was a terrible signing, red flags all over"

Pats Eng in regard to slamming BB and the Fanene signing years later. 

Yeah, good job Eng. You certainly showed up well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

"It's a decent move."  

Compared to....

Decent doesnt really mean he liked the signing but he'll take it... if he said its a good move then said bad signing than thats bs but he said 'decent' which is a strong word towards it..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

"It's a decent move."  

Compared to....

Decent doesnt really mean he liked the signing but he'll take it... if he said its a good move then said bad signing than thats bs but he said 'decent' which is a strong word towards it..

de·cent

adjective \ˈdē-sənt\

: polite, moral, and honest

: showing kindness : seeming to care about the feelings or problems of other people

: good enough but not the best : adequate or acceptable

satisfactoryreasonablefairacceptableadequatesufficientample; More

ter·ri·ble ˈterəbəl/ adjective 

1. 1. extremely or distressingly bad or serious. very shocking and upsetting

: very bad or unpleasant

"a terrible crime" synonyms: dreadfulawfulappallinghorrific, horrifying, horriblehorrendous,atrociousabominabledeplorableegregiousabhorrentfrightful,shockinghideousghastlygrimdireunspeakablegruesome,monstroussickeningheinousvileMore

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Or we could just call it what it is. Eng thought it was a reasonable signing at the time just like the rest of us did. Later on, in "HINDSIGHT" he condemned it as a terrible decision.....just like the Hernandez selection in round 4 of the 2010 draft.

hind·sight   noun  \ˈhīn(d)-ˌsīt\

: the knowledge and understanding that you have about an event only after it has happened

Full Definition of HINDSIGHT :  perception of the nature of an event after it has happened  See hindsight defined for English-language learners » See hindsight defined for kids » Examples of HINDSIGHT
    1. It's easy for us to say that the war was wrong, but we have the advantage of hindsight.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Too long tcal, agree there, but they are doing (finally) what I ( and others here) wanted for a while now, ' load up on defense'. ....this I hope makes the difference this upcoming year!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not EVERY move can be earth shaking like some (few) people here complain about. Fact is bringing in a solid player, especially at a position where we have little quality depth and where the starters would play better if kept fresher, is an important thing. Event is not "awsome". It is part of building a solid team with a shot at greatness.

It does not eliminate the other needs. It does not bring in a guy who will change things big time (like Revis). It does make this team better now if they land him.

Thank you BB for CONTINUING to address the details. It is one of the big things that sets you apart from people like Ring Kissing Rex... and a handful of people here.

Truth be told I and others would of been pretty happy if they did what you say, but over the last 5 years they failed miserably at that.

Jonathan Fanene

Albert Heynesworth

Trevor Scott

Shaun Ellis

Ron Brace

Armstead

Tomy Kelly

Mike Wright

Myron Pryor

Tully Banta Cain

Adalious Thomas

Burgess

Stallworth

Gaffney

Gozalez

Brandon Tate

Price

Ocho Cinco

Lloyd

Amendola

Torry Holt

Joey Galloway

Jenkins

Schiancoe

Fells

Hernandez

Leigh Bodden

Shawn Springs

Delta O’Neil

Adrian Wilson

Tavon Wilson

Butler

Wheatley

Whilite

Rasi Dowling

McGowen

Jon Lynch

Steven Gregory

Fred Taylor

Joseph Addai

Robert Gallery

Leon Washington

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Lol True still trying to defend it. I said decent as in it's alright but not great. Of course if I had the medicals I assume a NFL team must have on players (you know those pesky things other teams tend to get but appearently is impossible for the Pats to understand according to you) then that would change it now wouldn't it? You know funny little thingslike facts you find out that happen after the fact. Face it True, the Pats fell on their face on Fanene and A. Wilson and the only people who thought it was a good signing was people like you who blindly believe everything is awesome that the Pats do. He when you aren't right attack those that are right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Lol True still trying to defend it. I said decent as in it's alright but not great. Of course if I had the medicals I assume a NFL team must have on players (you know those pesky things other teams tend to get but appearently is impossible for the Pats to understand according to you) then that would change it now wouldn't it? You know funny little thingslike facts you find out that happen after the fact. Face it True, the Pats fell on their face on Fanene and A. Wilson and the only people who thought it was a good signing was people like you who blindly believe everything is awesome that the Pats do. He when you aren't right attack those that are right?

Ohhh, if you had the "medicals" you would have known to condemn the signing. The Pats must have just ignored those medicals....or they were lied to as every outlet suggested and is why they went after the signing bonus. 

But hey if only they had your trained eye and were not ignorant to just go sign a guy addicted to pain meds(because everybody else but the Pats knew)

Sure bud.

Yeah, that .08% of the salary cap we dumped on Adrian Wilson really crippled the franchise. I'm not sure if we can recover. Hey, you must have seen the medicals on him, and that's how you knew he would blow an achilles. You really do know your stuff.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Not EVERY move can be earth shaking like some (few) people here complain about. Fact is bringing in a solid player, especially at a position where we have little quality depth and where the starters would play better if kept fresher, is an important thing. Event is not "awsome". It is part of building a solid team with a shot at greatness.

Truth be told I and others would of been pretty happy if they did what you say, but over the last 5 years they failed miserably at that.

Jonathan Fanene

Albert Heynesworth

Trevor Scott

Shaun Ellis

Ron Brace

Armstead

Tomy Kelly

Mike Wright

Myron Pryor

Tully Banta Cain

Adalious Thomas

Burgess

Stallworth

Gaffney

Gozalez

Brandon Tate

Price

Ocho Cinco

Lloyd

Amendola

Torry Holt

Joey Galloway

Jenkins

Schiancoe

Fells

Hernandez

Leigh Bodden

Shawn Springs

Delta O’Neil

Adrian Wilson

Tavon Wilson

Butler

Wheatley

Whilite

Rasi Dowling

McGowen

Jon Lynch

Steven Gregory

Fred Taylor

Joseph Addai

Robert Gallery

Leon Washington

I noticed you took Chungs name off your ficticious list of busts? Wierd.

How do Gaffney and AD and Hernandez and Lloyd and Bodden(I guess if you suffer a career ending injury the Pats should have known and not signed you) and Amendola and Tate and Stalworth and Banta Cain and Wright and Tommy Kelly all end up on your bust list? Do you have an objective opinion or will you just blindly support your agenda that BB is an idiot at all costs even if detracts from your credibility as a "fan"?

Actually never mind. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ohhh, if you had the "medicals" you would have known to condemn the signing. The Pats must have just ignored those medicals....or they were lied to as every outlet suggested and is why they went after the signing bonus. 

But hey if only they had your trained eye and were not ignorant to just go sign a guy addicted to pain meds(because everybody else but the Pats knew)

Sure bud.

Yeah, that .08% of the salary cap we dumped on Adrian Wilson really crippled the franchise. I'm not sure if we can recover. Hey, you must have seen the medicals on him, and that's how you knew he would blow an achilles. You really do know your stuff.

Yes they must of had ignored the medicals because 31 other teams including Cinn didn't touch him! There weren't even rumors of other teams wanting him (kind of like Amendola and A. Wislon). And yes if I knew his medicals don't you think that would change your opinion too?

Any wasted money is bad what don't you get about that? Or are the Pats so good that we need to handicap ourselves. Should we just throw away money every year to make it easier for other teams? Silliest arguement I've ever heard. But then again you must check off that box every year to pay the extra taxes right because it doesn't matter. Btw you are using funny math again. I know math is hard but $2mil over this year and last year is .8% not .08% .

It takes a 10yr old to see something was wrong with A. Wilson at the end of the Ari season. He obviously wasn't the same. But through ruby glasses I guess you can call that a good signing. Same with Fanene and Haynesworth and Ocho.

Face it True you were wrong on this one. You can try to spin it anyway you want but BB tweeked his offseason pickups this year because the A. Wilsons and Fanene's of the world didn't work

Sections
Shortcuts