Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority"

Free agent DE Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" among the "known" players they are targeting.

The Pats have been targeting a left end, and Fanene appears to be the "Plan B" to Red Bryant, who re-signed in Seattle. Playing just under half the snaps for one of the league's best defensive fronts last season, Fanene proved to be an effective run-stopper. Bengals beat writer Joe Reedy suggests the Packers could also have interest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority"

Yeah, Reiss mentioned his name.  So, it appears NE is hot to trot for a mid level, solid, and younger, veteran DE type they can try to groom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Fanene

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Langford is so much better in my opinion and is not going to cost much more then this guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority":
    [QUOTE]Langford is so much better in my opinion and is not going to cost much more then this guy.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

Good get both. Then draft pass-rushers. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority":
    [QUOTE]Yeah, Reiss mentioned his name.  So, it appears NE is hot to trot for a mid level, solid, and younger, veteran DE type they can try to groom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Fanene
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Fanene will be 30 by next week. Not sure if you'd call him younger or can groom him considering he already has 7 years in the league.

He is solid I'll say that but he's another G Warren type. Just a solid vet with some decent ability that might take a lower contract. He's definitly not the same level of player as Bryant as this point in his career. He might be an upgrade over Deadrick, maybe?, but Deadrick is still learning and could surpass him in trainging camp

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

He's only listed at 285.  Seems small given BB's apparent preference for size at that position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Signed to a 3 year deal.

Patriots signed DE Jonathan Fanene to a three-year contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Ignore my last comment.  The info I was looking out appears slightly outdated.  Other sources have him listed in the 295 range.  At least this demonstrates BB is looking for more beef on the D line.  I definitely like that strategy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Signed to a 3 year deal. Jonathan Fanene  - DL -  Patriots Patriots signed DE Jonathan Fanene to a three-year contract. Related:   Patriots Source:   Aaron Wilson on Twitter
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks.  Roto is not working on my comp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's a decent move. At worst brings good depth as he was pretty good on one of the better DL's in the league last year but the guy at 30 has never been a consistent starter. It's a similar move they made when that sign G Warren just on a longer term deal

Wonder what they had to give him. Anything over 4mil/yr and they got hosed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I know the guy, but am by no means an expert.  If you consider that most of the descriptions of him describe him as solid against the run and he got 6.5 sacks last year playing only half the snaps it seems like he has some good pash rush potential as well.  Obviously it is hard to evaluate the deal without seeing the price tag, but I like it.  Particularly if it means we are getting more help for VW this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Good depth player, from what I read good against the run and can get to the QB in limited PT. 6ft4 300 pounds with veteran exp!

Good move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Just another guy imo. Hopefully he plays better than Ellis and as well as GWarren has played. BB like depth on the DL, but I see Fanene as a rotational player. Nothing outstanding, and not a sure fire upgrade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Just another guy imo. Hopefully he plays better than Ellis and as well as GWarren has played. BB like depth on the DL, but I see Fanene as a rotational player. Nothing outstanding, and not a sure fire upgrade.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Well right now he'd be your starting LE filling the old G Warren, Ty Warren role

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Typical. BB would rather sign a few lower profile guys than a big name. That way if they fail little is made of it, but if they excel he gets credit for being a smart guy. It helps make him look good, but I'm not sure how that strategy is actually helping put the team over the top.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He has to be good he's from Pago Pago!  He actually not too bad. Traditionally the Bengals have had a good D line. He'll be an upgrade from Ellis at a minimum. I bet he's real happy to play for the Pats as well. He suffered thru the Palmer years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]Typical. BB would rather sign a few lower profile guys than a big name. That way if they fail little is made of it, but if they excel he gets credit for being a smart guy. It helps make him look good, but I'm not sure how that strategy is actually helping put the team over the top.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the contracts all the big names have been getting?  For someone that maintains that there are holes all over the team to fill I find it amusing that you think BB should go after a high profile guy given the salary cap space we have.  No we aren't up against the cap, but we would be real fast if we signed one of these "big names".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]Typical. BB would rather sign a few lower profile guys than a big name. That way if they fail little is made of it, but if they excel he gets credit for being a smart guy. It helps make him look good, but I'm not sure how that strategy is actually helping put the team over the top.

Strange, but I just don't see BB as image-conscious or credit-hungry as this.  For some reason, not entirely sure why, I see it as a move to upgrade the D-line with a value-oriented signing.  But perhaps that's just me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : Have you seen the contracts all the big names have been getting?  For someone that maintains that there are holes all over the team to fill I find it amusing that you think BB should go after a high profile guy given the salary cap space we have.  No we aren't up against the cap, but we would be real fast if we signed one of these "big names".
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I guess you're right. Let the good time mediocre signings roll! We can add them to the plethora of mediocre signings we have had for some years now. We badly needed another 30 y.o. ho hum DL guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : Well right now he'd be your starting LE filling the old G Warren, Ty Warren role
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Funny, I see Fanene as more an inside lineman. Guess that is why BB likes him, versatile. I would assume Vince, Pryor, Lovie, Deadrick, Carter/Anderson, GWarren, Ninko, Brace and Fanene along with any players drafted are in the mix. I certainly dont see Fanene as a sure thing to get 50% of the snaps within this group

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : Hmmm, I guess you're right. Let the good time mediocre signings roll! We can add them to the plethora of mediocre signings we have had for some years now. We badly needed another 30 y.o. ho hum DL guy.

Would you prefer Mario Williams at 90 million and our offeseason is done?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : Would you prefer Mario Williams at 90 million and our offeseason is done?
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Nah.  Then he would whine about how BB has failed at filling all the holes on the team.  Some people on this board are never satisfied.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Good signing.

294 lbs is not big enough to play inside regularly, that's a classic DE size, just not the newer 6'1, 255lb Dwight Freeney type. 13.5 sacks in 2 full seasons! I'd expect that or a little more on this defense where he'll have more opportunity to rush the QB.

Not everyone can be a big name signing Babe.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

More contract info:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7687014/jonathan-fanene-agrees-three-year-deal-new-england-patriots-according-source

"Former Bengals defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene agreed to terms with the New England Patriots on a three-year contract worth close to $12 million, according to a source. The deal included a $3.85 million signing bonus, the source said."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I see nothing wrong with this signing. You'll like this guy. As someone else said I see him more next to Big Vince. An integral part of our new 2-9 defense.

Sections
Shortcuts