Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority"

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : Hmmm, I guess you're right. Let the good time mediocre signings roll! We can add them to the plethora of mediocre signings we have had for some years now. We badly needed another 30 y.o. ho hum DL guy.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

You completely missed the point of the post that you quoted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority":
    [QUOTE]Typical. BB would rather sign a few lower profile guys than a big name. That way if they fail little is made of it, but if they excel he gets credit for being a smart guy. It helps make him look good, but I'm not sure how that strategy is actually helping put the team over the top.

Babe, Get real. Your remark characterizes BB as being primarily concerned about whether bozos like you and me will critisize him rather than whether he beleives it si the best use of the money and the roster spot.

Whether you like BB or not it is quite clear that he is only concerned about whether it is a good move for the team. If you want to whine about BB as a GM go ahead. Some might agree. I clearly do not - though I do not think he is anywhere near flawless - he is after all human. But leave the baseless remarks out. They are absurd.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wish they had landed Red Bryant instead, he would of been reason for teams to stop doubling Vince on every play. A difference maker...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Look, we all fall for the hype every year and end up with a bunch of "what if" scenarios.  Babe, I agree, but you can't get sucked in by the "hope" for lack of a better word.  We all have our wish list for free agency and the draft, guess what, BB has a different list.  So, you can't be asking what happened - because you see it every year.  Hard to argue with results, they were at the big game past season, so who are we.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Its a solid signing,  Fanene is proven. Not going to assume anything other than its a solid signing. Does this mean that Mark Anderson & Andre Carter is unlikely to be back?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : Funny, I see Fanene as more an inside lineman. Guess that is why BB likes him, versatile. I would assume Vince, Pryor, Lovie, Deadrick, Carter/Anderson, GWarren, Ninko, Brace and Fanene along with any players drafted are in the mix. I certainly dont see Fanene as a sure thing to get 50% of the snaps within this group
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Well don't forget the Warrens moved inside in a 43 and were 34 LE. He worked mostly at the 43 DE spot in Cinn where he was allowed to rush the QB at will. I wouldn't expect the same sack production in NE. Maybe 3-4 sacks next year if he's a full time player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Typical. BB would rather sign a few lower profile guys than a big name. That way if they fail little is made of it, but if they excel he gets credit for being a smart guy. It helps make him look good, but I'm not sure how that strategy is actually helping put the team over the top.

Well the Patriots have won more games then any team of the last 10 years so thats how.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : Hmmm, I guess you're right. Let the good time mediocre signings roll! We can add them to the plethora of mediocre signings we have had for some years now. We badly needed another 30 y.o. ho hum DL guy.

You represent everything wrong with Patriots fans today, if you are indeed a Patriots fan which judging by your BB attacks I seriously doubt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Another solid value signing by BB; at 6'4" he's tall enough to create shadows over the QB, also 6 sacks is very good for a 3/4 end, 300 pounds, strength and technique to where if he can hold the line against the run, and 30+ tackles over a full season says he can.  It doesn't matter if he was a back up for a long time, so was Vrabel for the Steelers, it's what can you do for me now and he's not that old.

Typically if BB has a position to fill in the off season he'll grab one value vet like Fanene and a rookie, I hope that trend continues.  If an impact DT is available when we pick, two low #1's means there should be a lot to choose from than we should grab them. Deadrick and the young guys will be a year better, Gerrard Warren will be there or on speed dial, Love and Pryor while not starters are good depth players with Vince and a rookie stud we will crush a pocket.

Regardless of what we say though, on draft day BB will take the best player available regardless of position and that's the joy I get out of the draft, the point of actual drafting, because you never can predict how the cards will fall. BB will probably take a guy who has everybody asking "who?"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : You represent everything wrong with Patriots fans today, if you are indeed a Patriots fan which judging by your BB attacks I seriously doubt.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Troll painted in red white and blue...  bitter Jet's fan methinks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I think most would rather have Red over Shanene (to all those old "Martin" fans), but at half the money, I'm more than satisfied with this signing.

Pats spend to the cap just about every year, so that's 4 mil more to use elsewhere, or resign some of their own.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Yes, big names. That is clearly the way to build a team year in and year out. Go after the big names. Just like the other 31 teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Fanene looks to me to bit a little reminicent of Mike Wright. I liked Wright but he was not the key to making the D special. Rather, he was one of those guys that fills out a really good D that has a group of playmakers.

I like that we got this guy. But do not think he is a difference maker himself or that BB is hoping for more than this guy really is. He will help make this a better D. He will not turn it into a better D.

I am hoping that some talent is added to the D via the draft that will help us take a bigger step forward.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

THere is only ONE way that BB looks good and that is if he puts together a good team. Period.

If you take each year and grade him as either having put together a good team or not then he has one HECK of a batting average. Maybe you can make a case for ONE year not and allllll the other years yes.

In any case, the only way BB looks good is if he puts together a good team. Not if he got one draft pick or FA right or wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

And they win year in and year out. Very good signing imo..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I was thinking this was a Mike Wright type signing as well.  6.5 sacks and decent against the run, sounds like a decent rotational player.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]i don't think BB signed this guy thinking he would solve all of our D problems. that's short sighted fan speak. this is the first face of many new faces we will see going forward.
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

I think for the most part fans on this board understand this. The basic thought around here is that he's a solid player that could start on the line, given how it's currently constituted, but much like a Wright or a G Warren he is just a piece of a puzzle, not even the piece of the puzzle that pulls everything together

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Solid and smart signing.  He's Mike Wright (perhaps even a slight step up) but without the concussions.  Adds depth, and an inside pass rusher who's stout against the run. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wait! Wait!  Wait!  Why are all of you giving Babe a hard time about this statement?  I'm a big BB nut hugger but when you look back over the years, especially the last few, you gotta kind of agree with this.  Give me an impact player now instead of 2 or 3 guys that might not even make the roster 6 weeks into the season.    Not saying thats the case with Fanene but really, top priority?  Are you kidding me?  Top priority should be deep threat, and stop the pass. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

53 good players, sign them one at a time.

BB needs a full house at defensive line, with everybody playing in rotation.  It's part of his secret to winning consistently.  BB really hates it when he has to play JAGs on the defensive line. 

Fanene is balanced.  He has no weaknesses.  An offense can run at Fanene and BB will be satisfied, or they can try to single-block him in pass protection and BB will still be satisfied.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene is reportedly the Patriots' "first priority" : Wait! Wait!  Wait!  Why are all of you giving Babe a hard time about this statement?  I'm a big BB nut hugger but when you look back over the years, especially the last few, you gotta kind of agree with this.  Give me an impact player now instead of 2 or 3 guys that might not even make the roster 6 weeks into the season.    Not saying thats the case with Fanene but really, top priority?  Are you kidding me?  Top priority should be deep threat, and stop the pass. 
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Don't get caught too up in the whole "top priority" thing. That was likely NOT the words of any Pats personel, but likely the creation of the scribe who wanted to look smart when they signed him before anything else.

I seriously doubt BB was thinking, going into FA "we NEED to sign Fanene IMMEDIATELY!". This is the reality of reporting these days, they go out and make assumptions to be "first", and simply retract or reword the other 90% of the time when they are wrong.

Most striking example of this will forever be tom "I hate everything NE" jackson and his "this team HATES their coach" line. Not once has he ever admitted to being totally wrong and making that asusmption without ever talking to a single player. He just wanted to be the story, and he was...just not for the reason he thought. Clown.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

One thing you notice year in and year out in the free agent market is that the teams that are competitive year in and year out are not the ones making big splashes.  Who are the last big time free agents signed by the Steelers, Patriots, Colts, or Packers?  The Redskins throw money around again this year after finishing the season with the 6th pick in the draft.  Look at the big name signings and tell me who has produced better results with their new teams.   Julius Peppers had a very good year.  I can't think of too many others in the last ten years.  I do remember Albert Haynesworth signing for 100 million and coming off of a defensive player of the year award and doing absolutely nothing to justify that contract.  The Dream Team Philadelphia Eagles won second place in the NFC East last year finishing 8-8.   Even looking at the Patriots "big" free agent moves of Rosevelt Colvin and Adalius Thomas show that splashy signings haven't paid off even here.   The key is that most teams know who they are letting walk to free agency and the best players never make it there.  I think BB plays it right and tries to get value players to supplement his roster while other teams win headlines in March.

Sections
Shortcuts