Jonathan Fanene released

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Jonathan Fanene released

I guess this is a big vote of confindence in Brace.  Damn shame though as he was doing very well early in camp before the knee injury and was our biggest name and $ defensive signing.  Same knee that sidelined him in Cincinnati too, so I guess that lingering injury is more serious than what was originally thought. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Jonathan Fanene released

Let me tell you bad this sucks for our team. This was our big free agent signing at a position that we needed help. We whiffed on the defensive lineman from Seattle (because he wanted too much money) and settled for Fanene. You win with your defensive line...it covers up problems in the secondary. We had an entire off season to improve this spot and we got Fanene? What the hell do we do with his cap money and the 10 million we already had sitting there? There's no one left to sign.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

BRACE YOURSELF

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Knee injury knocked him out. Good thing it looks like BB is going to run that 2-4-5 hybrid with multiple pass rushing DE's playing.... Jones,Scott,Nink,Cunningham and Bequette with Deadrick,Brace, Love, and Wilfork as interior linemen. A blow to our depth for sure but cuts are coming soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene released:
    Let me tell you bad this sucks for our team. This was our big free agent signing at a position that we needed help. We whiffed on the defensive lineman from Seattle (because he wanted too much money) and settled for Fanene. You win with your defensive line...it covers up problems in the secondary. We had an entire off season to improve this spot and we got Fanene? What the hell do we do with his cap money and the 10 million we already had sitting there? There's no one left to sign.
    Posted by mthurl

point

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

maybe we get soemthing form others scrap heaP?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The guy never practiced and hasn't played a single pre-season snap, no way he was going to make the opening day roster.  He was a rush end anyway, similar to Deaderick. 

Brace provides more beef up front and looked great last night.  A 3/4 with Vince or Brace inside and Love/Deaderick on the ends is good depth.  Fanene for all the off season hype we gave him wasn't even a starter in Cincy, we gave him a contract based on projected stat's over a full season and potential much like Steve Gregory.

Doc Rivers said the one trait he looks for in all his players in availability, if he can't be there on game day what good is potential.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

BRACE YOURSELF
    Posted by pcmIV

Exactly........  I mean I wanted Fanene to workout of course, but the Pats have seen solid play from Brace and Deaderick.  The stareters were always going to be Wilfork and Love with Deaderick, Brace, and Fanene as the subs.  So I guess they saw enough from Barce to send Fanene packing with his injury.  Heard me may a knee scope soon as well. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Never saw him play a single snap here....so I can't say I would give this a second thought. If you can't play, and can't stay healthy, you are pretty much 100% useless to this team. Just the cold hard facts. This defense is quite young, and one has to think that BB (might) just know what he's doing as far as who to cut. Oh by the way the "might" was pure sarcasm....for those that didn't catch it. Relax folks....he wasn't a huge loss what so ever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by mthurl

Yep. The Pats bit the dust on this one. It's the chance a team takes whenever it signs a free agent. Fanene likely was released because his knee injury may have kept him out for all or part of this upcoming season...not because he can't play, or that the other guys are doing so well. Here's an explanation of the cap hit taken by the Patriots for 2012, and for 2013:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000052685/printable/patriots-release-defensive-lineman-jonathan-fanene

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The guy never practiced and hasn't played a single pre-season snap, no way he was going to make the opening day roster.  He was a rush end anyway, similar to Deaderick.  Brace provides more beef up front and looked great last night.  A 3/4 with Vince or Brace inside and Love/Deaderick on the ends is good depth.  Fanene for all the off season hype we gave him wasn't even a starter in Cincy, we gave him a contract based on projected stat's over a full season and potential much like Steve Gregory. Doc Rivers said the one trait he looks for in all his players in availability, if he can't be there on game day what good is potential.
    Posted by wozzy

Yeah, I agree. This is not going to hurt the team in the least. This is why BB brings in so many guys in the first place. Brace looked good out there last night. This is football, guys get hurt. Just as long as it's not number 12.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

So how does he end up getting paid?  
    He signed in March with a $3.8M signing bonus + contract?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

signing bonus still spread; only guaranteed part of contract paid

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Prior coming off PUP ?????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

signing bonus still spread; only guaranteed part of contract paid
    Posted by provpats

$3.8M for a few months of part-time work.  Not a bad payday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Jonathan Fanene released":
    In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene released : Troll Posted by Mighty2013
    You know what I like about you? Out of your 104 posts, every single one of them goes like this...duh, duh, troll. That's pure moron right there...pure. The world always needs good quality morons - it keeps things good and balanced.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene released : Except that the money is already on the cap!  Just more proof of the brilliance of BB the GM we keep hearing about.   That dead money tab is almost up to 20 mil for 2012.  Ouch!  Could have signed Welker to a multi year deal with all that waste.
    Posted by JetMangione

Hmmm, OK.  Go ahead and list out the 20mil in dead money.  I would like to see that since I'm sure you wouldn't just make that up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaegar. Show jaegar's posts

Fanene was released under "Failure to Disclose Physical Condition".  Ross Tucker speculates that it means the team could go after the 3.85M signing bonus that they paid him.  It's not known what that physical condition was.  I'm sure it could have been something he failed to disclose during the physical or he hurt himself off the field.

Guess it might pay off that the Pats knew the CBA that well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

According to NFL source, Pats cut Fanene under "Failure to Disclose Physical Condition". Likely going after that $3.85M SB he got.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulk. Show hulk's posts

The only question I have is how did the Patriots medical staff not see this? That was a pretty big contract to put out there on someone coming off an injury.  I am not here to bash the staff, but if he wasn't 100%, then why wouldn't you give him a cheaper contract with incentives.  The fact that they didn't even put him on IR and see if he can come back makes me wonder the severity of the injury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The only question I have is how did the Patriots medical staff not see this? That was a pretty big contract to put out there on someone coming off an injury.  I am not here to bash the staff, but if he wasn't 100%, then why wouldn't you give him a cheaper contract with incentives.  The fact that they didn't even put him on IR and see if he can come back makes me wonder the severity of the injury.
    Posted by hulk

Unless you know what to look for it can be very difficult to find. Additionally it is part of negotiations what they are allowed to examine. Fanene could have just given them his medical reports from his doctors regarding his previous injury and he could of agreed to a physical but that doesn't mean he had to agree to a full body scan. That's why there is this clause in the CBA. So players can't pull one over on the teams if they don't agree to taking full body scans (which is a bit unrealistic)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulk. Show hulk's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene released : Unless you know what to look for it can be very difficult to find. Additionally it is part of negotiations what they are allowed to examine. Fanene could have just given them his medical reports from his doctors regarding his previous injury and he could of agreed to a physical but that doesn't mean he had to agree to a full body scan. That's why there is this clause in the CBA. So players can't pull one over on the teams if they don't agree to taking full body scans (which is a bit unrealistic)
    Posted by PatsEng
    Thank you for actually answering my question and not bashing me like some of the people on this site do.  I wonder how Andre Carter is doing? Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Jonathan Fanene released : Thank you for actually answering my question and not bashing me like some of the people on this site do.  I wonder how Andre Carter is doing? 
    Posted by hulk

Andre Carter actually worked out for the Oakland Raiders yesterday I believe.  Interesting to see what happens there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Ross Tucker   ‏ @ RossTuckerNFL According to NFL source, Pats cut Fanene under "Failure to Disclose Physical Condition". Likely going after that $3.85M SB he got.
    Posted by Rocky

This would go along way in explaining why they released him.  Even if the injury  wasn't "career ending" if the guy lied/tried to hide something, they gave him the boot for it.

Sections
Shortcuts