Jonathan Martin to Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Jonathan Martin to Pats?

Well this will give us something to talk about during the bye week . . . 

Seems like it will be pretty hard for Martin ever to return to the Dolphins given the way the locker room seems aligned against him.  But the guy does have the potential to be a very good NFL tackle.  He's a good run blocker, who's played pretty well on the right side.  He was a left tackle in college and he's played there in the pros too, but so far has struggled against elite pass rushers.  Because of this, the Dolphins brought in McKinnie to replace Martin at left tackle, but I believe they were planning to make him the starter on the right again.

With Vollmer hurt, the Pats arguably could use another tackle at least as a back up. Martin is certainly a reasonable second option and has the potential to someday be a quality starter.  He's got some versatility, having played both the right and left sides (something not every tackle can do), and most of all he may be available cheap.  My guess is the Dolphins are going to have to release him.  He'll be subject to the waiver rules, I believe, but there's a better chance than usual that teams will pass on him because of the fear he won't fit in or will be a distraction.  But Bill Belichick loves to take chances on these "value" players who other teams don't want because of concerns about personality. Dillon, Moss, even Lloyd are all guys who were thought of as potential locker room problems whom Belichick went for--in the process getting excellent value for the price.

The Pats' locker room seems to be a far more professional place than the Dolphins', and the team has a history of integrating players with reputations of being difficult without any significant problems.  Martin might thrive in the more cerebral and businesslike atmosphere created by Belichick and Kraft, and if he lives up to his potential, the Pats could have a very decent young lineman for many years. I love Vollmer, but he's oft-injured, and the Pats have to be thinking ahead to his eventual replacement.  Cannon could be that guy, but Martin might be worth a try if he's cheap.

Not saying that this will happen or even that it should, but it may be interesting to speculate about.  It seems at least plausible from a coach who did not shy away from the potential media distraction Tim Tebow brought, and who has had no problem taking risks on players like Dillon and Moss when they became available at below market rates because of concerns about personality.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Jonathan Martin to Pats?

Hahaa, I thought about posting this yesterday in light of Vollmers injury. The thing is Cannon strikes me as a similar player. Would we have to trade for him or can he released from his contract. Obviously BB wouldnt have any of that BS that went on in miami and he would probably be accepted but would he bring the circus with him? If so, I would say no but we did sign Tebow

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

lol was wondering when this thread would be started! No thanks to Martin!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Former 2nd round pick.  Still young and from a good program.  Smart and versatile.  I'd kick the tires with no worries about his personality.  He needs some work, but we have Coach Scar.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Let me see, a player who isn't very good, and just got demoted who comes in with a team of lawyers and a recording device so everyone in the lockers has to watch every word they say or it will be on ESPN.  What if he gets cut?  Guaranteed lawsuit.  I think it's safe to say Martin has played his last game in the NFL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Purely based on performance i would have to say no. The dolphins had to bring in Mckinnie becasue the kid wasn't cutting it. He was one of the reasons tannehill was/is getting beat up. A bad cog on a bad O-line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Wow..  just a matter of time for something like this to pop up.

Doesn't it seem whenever a player becomes "available", someone on this board starts a discussion about getting that player?  Seems in the minds of some here, the Pats should go after everyone!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

If he comes at a reasonable price, sure! Talented, young guy, clearly has a good head on his shoulders and is a bright young man.

I'm all for it, but I don't see it happening.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

NO!  He just isn't tough enough.  Look at him, something just is not right with the guy.  Even if he has totally been the victim here and has been 100% bullied, the guy ran away from it all.  Not mentally tough.  He has emotional problems. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Let me see, a player who isn't very good, and just got demoted who comes in with a team of lawyers and a recording device so everyone in the lockers has to watch every word they say or it will be on ESPN.  What if he gets cut?  Guaranteed lawsuit.  I think it's safe to say Martin has played his last game in the NFL.

I was going to quickly disagree with your comment, BUT I will only mildly disagree.  The liklihood of a trust issue certainly exists and would be a real problem. 

On the other hand, I wonder if every NFL lockerroom is the same as Miami.  I've got to believe that some lockerrooms respect human dignity a little more, and in places like these, I think the guy stands a chance. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This is one can of worms that is not worth the trouble.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Purely based on performance i would have to say no. The dolphins had to bring in Mckinnie becasue the kid wasn't cutting it. He was one of the reasons tannehill was/is getting beat up. A bad cog on a bad O-line.

Could possibly be related to a lack of support from his teammates, either real or perceived, and in his mind, it wouldn't matter.  If he thinks no one has his back, then why should he have theirs. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

This is one can of worms that is not worth the trouble.

this post says it all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Agree he hasn't been great in pass protection and he may not be quick enough.  That said, left tackles in particular, take a while to develop, and Martin has been moved from left in college to right in the pros then back to left and now to right.  That can be a tricky adjustment and may not be helping his development.  Vollmer is a rare player who seems to move easily from side to side, but a lot of tackles find it hard to block in mirror image.  Matt Light was a good example. He was an excellent left tackle, but he got all mixed up when they tried to play him on the right.  I'm not saying Martin is a sure bet to succeed, but he might do better with better coaching, better players around him, and a healthier atmosphere.  I wouldn't pay a lot for this guy, but the premise of the thread is he might come very cheap now. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

if the guys NFL career is going to survive this situation, it would appear New England is one of the places he could regroup, and move ahead. Strong locker room, zero media access to players, great coaching. If the guy wants to play again, bring him in this summer and find out if he can help. Worse case he could be great depth/versatile behind what the Pats already have.

If this team stood firm in the Hern situation and Tebow situation, the Martin try out next summer would be pretty easy I would think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to shenanigan's comment:

I was going to quickly disagree with your comment, BUT I will only mildly disagree.  The liklihood of a trust issue certainly exists and would be a real problem. 

On the other hand, I wonder if every NFL lockerroom is the same as Miami.  I've got to believe that some lockerrooms respect human dignity a little more, and in places like these, I think the guy stands a chance. 

Well they probably have tea and crumpets and discuss the latest independent films in the Colts locker room.  But in every other I would say the chances that Martin won't hear something that someone somewhere may consider offensive is approximately zero.  And the chances that if he gets cut or demoted that something someone said will become front page news and the reason he failed are too high for anyone to bother with a kid that is short on talent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Martin won't be playing for anyone this year. He has a lawsuit to wait out and a big payday coming from the Dolphins and that's going to take some time.  All he needs now is a Doctor's note saying he has suffered mental injury as a result.

Tannehill's been sacked 35 times so everyone on that line sucks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Can we get an Incognito-to-the-Pats thread going also please?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I think there already was one a few days ago, no? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

If we could get them both that would be epic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

If we could get them both that would be epic.

LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

The first hurdle would be to determine if Martin even wants to play football.  That may be the root cause of this whole mess (versus "to toughen him up").  

...and is he mentally stable enough?  and how will he affect the Pats locker-room chemistry?  

THEN can he add the best value vis a vis the alternatives?  

That process sounds like a lot of time and work for a mediocre player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I wouldn't go anywhere near Martin until this whole thing plays out.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I wouldn't go anywhere near Martin until this whole thing plays out.  

Exactly my thoughts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

The first hurdle would be to determine if Martin even wants to play football.  That may be the root cause of this whole mess (versus "to toughen him up").  

...and is he mentally stable enough?  and how will he affect the Pats locker-room chemistry?  

THEN can he add the best value vis a vis the alternatives?  

That process sounds like a lot of time and work for a mediocre player.

Exactly

Sections
Shortcuts