1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Jones could make sizable impact at TE for Pats

Jones could make sizable impact at TE for Pats 
    May 15, 2014, 4:30 pm

Comments

Cheer

Boo

Email

FOXBORO -- Justin Jones hasn't played a snap of competitive football since 2012, but based on sheer size alone he looks like a man ready to play professionally.

The Patriots signed the 6-foot-8, 275-pound tight end out of East Carolina earlier this week as an undrafted free agent. Jones was ruled academically ineligible for his senior season at ECU and finished his college career with 52 catches for 598 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Jones met with local media for the first time on Thursday and said that while a year away from the field was far from his ideal pre-draft scenario, he was able to make the most of his time by working out at CES Performance in Atlanta, getting in shape and polishing his technique.

"I had an opportunity to really focus on the technical aspect of my game," he said. "You know, I can use my body to my advantage and that's all good, but when it comes down to footwork and timing and things like that, I was really able to capitalize on the time off that I had. I was fresh, I'm feeling fresh, and I couldn't be more fresh coming into camp."

Recruited to college by Skip Holtz, Jones said ECU's emphasis on the tight end was diminished when Ruffin McNeill took over and imported a spread offense following Holtz's departure to University of South Florida. Rather than playing a traditional tight end role, Jones explained that he was used more as a slot receiver and an outside receiver.
    Now that he's in New England, Jones is excited to be part of a team that appreciates the job of a tight end and the inherent mismatches they can present. He said that he believed the Patriots had interest in him throughout his college career, and he said they had constant contact with him throughout the draft last weekend.

"Oh man, it's honestly, it couldn't be a better fit for me, personally," Jones said. "I don't think it could. All the teams around the league use their tight ends in different ways, but we've all seen the proven system and it works here. Coach [Bill] Belichick loves utilizing the tight end and he believes that we're guys that create mismatches and we can get open and we can use that to the best of our ability."

Jones clearly followed the Patriots as they re-wrote the record books when it came to tight-end production in the NFL. He said he followed Rob Gronkowski's career since Gronkowski was at University of Arizona and Jones called Gronkowski "the best tight end in the league."

During his few days since arriving to New England, Jones has been in the film room at Gillette Stadium trying to pick up as much as he can since he knows the Patriots ask their tight ends to play all over the field.

"Around here, the tight end has to be versatile," Jones said. "Has to be able to play a little bit in the backfield in addition to playing some stand-up as well. Again, it's all something that I believe is part of my toolbox and Coach Belichick believes it's part of my toolbox. If he didn't, then I don't think I'd be in this position."

Jones isn't just a mountain of a man in pads. His workout numbers imply he has plenty of athletic ability within his towering frame. His vertical jump has been measured at 37.5 inches, he can bench press 400 pounds, and he has been clocked with a ridiculously quick sub 7-second three-cone drill (6.96), which would have been tops at the NFL Combine among tight ends.

Until Jones got to high school, he had never played football. Basketball was his sport -- he said he was a two-time All-State selection at Heritage High in Georgia -- and he had some offers to play in college despite never playing on the AAU circuit.

He mentioned on Thursday that his basketball background has helped to give him the ability for fight for jump balls like rebounds.
    "It definitely helps teach you a little bit about body control I think," Jones said. "Having a basketball background, even if it's something as simple as a jump ball, which was something I was able to do well in college. It's just like a rebound. That's what I try to tell myself all the time. I grew up a hooper, and I didn't even play football until ninth grade in high school. It's really surreal to just be standing here in a professional football league."

by Taboolaby Taboola
    Sponsored ContentSponsored Content
    Promoted ContentPromoted Content
    YOU MAY LIKE

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Jones could make sizable impact at TE for Pats

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/jones-could-make-sizable-impact-te-pats?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Be interesting to see what the red zone O looks like if this kid makes the 53-man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Athletically Justin Jones and Zach Moore are 2 of the more intriguing players on the team right now. If the Pats can somehow harness the physical tools these guys have and develop their football IQ's they will have 2 really good finds…. a long shot I know but for these 2 guys it's worth the try.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Very long shot even for the PS. 

Simply not athletic enough, and has never been in an offense where he had to block. Wonder if he is willing to flip sides and start worked at DE?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Jones is 6'8" you can't teach that. He was not allowed to play in 2013 so how can anyone say what level of blocking skills he has or doesn't have? That's the job of the O-line coach to teach him blocking schemes. Also he didn't block at ECU because he was a move TE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

Jones is 6'8" you can't teach that. He was not allowed to play in 2013 so how can anyone say what level of blocking skills he has or doesn't have? That's the job of the O-line coach to teach him blocking schemes. Also he didn't block at ECU because he was a move TE.

Very easy. He currently has zero blocking skills. You can't teach that in a training camp with 90 players to evaluate. He also has zero knowledge of an nfL route tree, is a really stiff route runner and has not been on a field in almost 2 years. 

What difference does it make if he is 6'8"? He realistically is no where ready, and most likely never is. CFL might be a good spot to play. 

Pats have 8 spots on the PS. Do you really want to use a spot on a player that is so far away? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

These guys are projects.  I remember last offseason/OTAs how everyone was overly excited about Zach Sudfeld.

His physical stature might be an advantage if he uses his body position correctly when running exacting routes - and/or if he is willing to fight for the ball (assuming he has decent uppper body strength to wrestle it away from someone)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

ALL the scouting reports on Jones call him a "decent" blocker with the wingspan and ability to get better. He's raw but he is quite an athelite and can also fill in on the O line both as a blocking TE and a O linemen.

Sure, he's a project but he has the raw tools if developed. I would not be so quick to dismiss him out of the gate.

VERSATILITY

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Simply not athletic enough, and has never been in an offense where he had to block. Wonder if he is willing to flip sides and start worked at DE?

Not athletic enough? Fastest 3 cone drill amongst Te's coming out this year. His vertical and bench numbers are good too. Sure he hasn't played any organized football as of late, but I wouldn't call him not athletic. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

He is athletic.  However, I agree with rKarp.  He has to perform. There 90 guys in camp he has to show value to the team in some capacity. Yea, a nice red zone target but he will need to show more.  People might not agree but Z Moore is in the same boat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I hope he makes it because as sports said you can't teach that size but I'm with RKarp on this one, leaning towards PS. I know everyone is going to fall in love with the kid but he missed all of last year because he couldn't cut the grade at school. I'd be worried about his ability to learn, which is a big thing with BB. Additionally I've seen reports that his block was still very raw and he wasn't asked to block a lot. Lets face it, given his triangle number alone if teams felt he could learn, run routes, or block (I'm just asking for 1 of the 3) he would have been drafted. Hopefully he makes some leaps in camp and sticks with the team (because we desperately need TE help) but lets turn him into a day 2 steal in UDFA yet.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I kind of question that 3 cone number too. It's hard to believe a guy who runs a 4.9 runs a 3 cone in the range of a top 20 WR in the draft. The vertical and bench I completely believe though

Edit: After watching video I most certainty don't believe that 3 cone. He's a bit slow and lumbering and not sharp in cuts at all. Doesn't mean he's not athletic but he's no Jimmy Graham or Davis as his 3 cone would suggest. Also doesn't really engage in blocking instead preferring to try to punch and misdirect instead of using that size and just holding a guy up. Not the greatest hands either (watched balls bounce of his hands wide open)

He's raw but that size is hard to hate for sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Everyone is saying we need TE help

I dont get the not athletic enough, i think thats why BB got him, with his size 3 cone etc and being  BBall player

I think he know he has to block - and he is big enough and strong enough

We dont know about his hands

A project for sure -

All i can do is root for him, ,

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I kind of question that 3 cone number too. It's hard to believe a guy who runs a 4.9 runs a 3 cone in the range of a top 20 WR in the draft. The vertical and bench I completely believe though

Edit: After watching video I most certainty don't believe that 3 cone. He's a bit slow and lumbering and not sharp in cuts at all. Doesn't mean he's not athletic but he's no Jimmy Graham or Davis as his 3 cone would suggest. Also doesn't really engage in blocking instead preferring to try to punch and misdirect instead of using that size and just holding a guy up. Not the greatest hands either (watched balls bounce of his hands wide open)

He's raw but that size is hard to hate for sure.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath on this guy to emerge.  The film I saw wasn't that impressive.  Love his size, and I'm definitely rooting for him, but my expectations are certainly not high...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

Everyone is saying we need TE help

I dont get the not athletic enough, i think thats why BB got him, with his size 3 cone etc and being  BBall player

I think he know he has to block - and he is big enough and strong enough

We dont know about his hands

A project for sure -

All i can do is root for him, ,

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

I got caught up on all my Patriots podcasts yesterday as I was traveling and all the posdasts I listened to said TE was one of the team needs and the Pats missed out on it.  Pretty much echos what I have been stating on here.  Jones is big and tall but looks slow and clumsy running routes clumsy and doesn't seem to have good hands. His blocking looks limited.  3 cone is a drill, watch him on the videos and tell me how it translates on the field for him.  Not impressed at all.  I will be surprised if this guy even makes the practice team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I will be shocked if any of the UDFA TEs make the 53 man.  I can see maybe 1 on the PS and idk if it will be this guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Oh, didn't you know, despite his lifting, cone drills, etc. clearly establishing his athleticism and despite nobody on this board has seen him play, rkarp said so, and rkrap likes to think he knows it all.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Oh, didn't you know, despite his lifting, cone drills, etc. clearly establishing his athleticism and despite nobody on this board has seen him play, rkarp said so, and rkrap likes to think he knows it all.  

dude, the young man cant play TE in the NFL, and it is clear to see...I am sorry you don't see it. BUt that is no reason to be a dooosh

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I´m rooting for this guy, huge TE + Basketball skills... 

BB is a great talent evaluator... this guy can make it.

:)

I love the New England Patriots, but i am not a fanatic. I want the team to win games the right way, playing good football. I demand the best from the players and the organization, because i support them the best way i can.          ISAAC ANDREU

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You can teach blocking, it's not like it's some mysterious art form. You need strength and willingness. He can bench 400 at 6'8, he's got the first part. But if that's all he can do, he'll be another Mulligan, just bigger.

Reading the quotes, he seems halfway intelligent. The academically ineligible part is odd, but it probably means he's lazy, even careless.

All in all, lots of guys with less going for them have made it, but he's definitely a long shot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

He's added weight, perhaps he'll get a shot at OT and a back up O line spot. Catch a pass or two form the O line once in awhile....who knows. He is an interesting one for sure.

Remember, there will be a few spots open. You have at least 3 players who have been allowed to stay for 2 seasons but won't be here for their 3rd.

Long way too go before the game day roster is set.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Not bad idea. Too Tall Jones II

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

when the guy covering you is 6'0" or 6'1"...does it matter if you are 6'8" or 6'4"?

if you want to see a physical specimen, and be amazed at how a guy so big (245) can run so fast, and has shown it on the field...look no further than Harrison. A full year in the system, off the chart measurables and production in a pro style offense in college...

3 guys of major interest to me in camp are Harrison, Boyce and Gallon...  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

You can teach blocking, it's not like it's some mysterious art form. You need strength and willingness. He can bench 400 at 6'8, he's got the first part. But if that's all he can do, he'll be another Mulligan, just bigger.

Reading the quotes, he seems halfway intelligent. The academically ineligible part is odd, but it probably means he's lazy, even careless.

All in all, lots of guys with less going for them have made it, but he's definitely a long shot.

[object HTMLDivElement]

That's even worse. I'll take a guy who just has mental limitations over a guy that just doesn't care any day of the weak. At least I know the guy who just is a bit slow will give me all he's got even if those limitations prevent him from reaching the level I need him to

Sections
Shortcuts