Jones named rook D of the month

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jones named rook D of the month

Congrats to Jones. Aren't you glad the Jets took Coples over Jones?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/10/chandler_jones_1.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

Re: Jones named rook D of the month

Give him a off season in the weight room, and he just might be a monster....look what it did for Cunningham. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

The kid is good, really good! He gets cheated by the refs with all the no hold calls. But as the year goes on and through out the years if he continues to increase his ability those holding calls will start to come more often. I hope BB can find some on to line up at the oppoiste end of Jones and with Wilfork in the middle that will be a fearsome front line!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Great draft pick, Hightower too. There was someone here last week saying Jones was a bust lol.    its a good thing when your teams draft pick wins defensive rookie of the month, the every first month of the season. That's a pretty good start.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Mel Kiper Jr said Jones was a WIP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Jones is playing in his rookie year like the player I thought HE MIGHT develop INTO.  Hes an excellent pass rusher while also being effective against the run and setting the edge. Great job by BB for not just drafting him but moving up to do so. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Nice to really nail a pick.  The drafting department has done really well the last few years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

BB is a great drafter, its just frustrating that our secondary has been a work in progress for the past I don't know how many years. He nailed some great RB's, but he also has failed to find a great WR to bring in and grow under Brady.

You can't win them all, but I'll take a BB draft any day over the rest of the other teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Very glad. Couples is Gholston 2.0

I think jones wins dRoy 

I would like to see Cunningham start opposite end,maybe even Hightower. 

Yes, I have been harsh on BB drafting in the past. He stillupticks better than most, but he also has picked more than most over the first 3 rounds sInce 2006. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Very happy that Jones is progessing faster than I originally anticipated. And yeah I do think he has been held a little bit on holding non-calls. Once he puts on more weight and develops more rush moves look out or double teams(which would help Fork). Still think the Pats need another bookend, but I would like to see what Hightower can do on the rush.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:

Where are all the people who say BB doesn't draft well?

They ignore threads like this one. .IMO BB is the best gm in the league. He's also a master at finding these undrafted free agents like Bolden and many more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Profootballfocus.com joined the chorus.  They also named Patriots TE Daniel Fells as a secret superstar of week 4, for his blocking against Buffalo.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Congrats to Jones. Aren't you glad the Jets took Coples over Jones?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/10/chandler_jones_1.html

LMAO

Coples stinks so far. Can't rush, can't tackle, etc.  BB must have saw something in the interview that made them get giddy over Jones. I admit I am impressed at how seasoned he looks. Always a good sign for a 1st rd pick.

I wonder if we'll see him at LDE more so now since it appears he can play the 4-3 DE and the 3-4 OLB spot interchangeably?

He's could be the new McGinest even though he's not quite as big as that.

Good analogy, Jones is only off by 3lbs if you just google both names it seems they both are 6'5" and Willie was 268 to Jones 265. Maybe he'd added enough muscle by the Super Bowl years to really be like 280?

Willie only had 4.5 sacks and 43 tackles as a rook despite appearing in all 16 games. 2 forced fumbles.

Jones is well on his way to eclipsing that

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So far he looks to be a great pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I admit I said BB can't pick a WR or DB worth his salt during the first couple of days of the draft and I still stand by that until he proves me otherwise but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who said he can't find front 7 players (Brace being the lone exception I can think of). I think most of us questioned why he didn't draft front 7 sooner rather then later and I still think that's a fair critizism given his record for DB's and his record for front 7 players. But the way Jones is playing is stunning.

If they can get a bookend for him who can provide consistent pressure then Jones could easily put up JPP type of numbers. The biggest thing holding him back right now is Nink not being able to provide pressure in 1v1 situations. It's amazing that after 1 game teams were already doubling up on Jones unless they had a pro-bowl LT, and even then they were leaning extra protection towards Jones. I love Nink's ability to set the edge and basically remove any attempts at screens on his side but if you could have a consistent rush opposite Jones then Jones could really T off on QB's

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Funny how all the know-it-alls on here were saying before the season that he was a project.

I didn't see you on here saying he'd have such a great start. Mighty if you want to make statements like these then you need to make claims well before hand that you were right from the beginning. It's like a guy who doesn't vote and then points to the winner (good or bad) and says see I told you.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I admit I said BB can't pick a WR or DB worth his salt during the first couple of days of the draft and I still stand by that until he proves me otherwise but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who said he can't find front 7 players (Brace being the lone exception I can think of). I think most of us questioned why he didn't draft front 7 sooner rather then later and I still think that's a fair critizism given his record for DB's and his record for front 7 players. But the way Jones is playing is stunning.

If they can get a bookend for him who can provide consistent pressure then Jones could easily put up JPP type of numbers. The biggest thing holding him back right now is Nink not being able to provide pressure in 1v1 situations. It's amazing that after 1 game teams were already doubling up on Jones unless they had a pro-bowl LT, and even then they were leaning extra protection towards Jones. I love Nink's ability to set the edge and basically remove any attempts at screens on his side but if you could have a consistent rush opposite Jones then Jones could really T off on QB's

No offense, but McCourty is a good player. As is Chung. I know we're supposed to pretend that every single DB BB chooses has to autmatically morph into a Hall of Famer like Ty Law or Rodney Harrison, but I ain't buying it this anti-BB rehtoric in that area.

Who chooses future HOFers at the back end of the 1st rd? I don't care if it's Champ Bailey or Ed Reed, these guys weren't chosen in the back end. It's just the formula he uses. He doesn't put a lot into that role in this formula, so he's picking prospects who aren't slam dunk top 10 picks who are elite.

BB hasn't missed more than really any other GM in this area in recent years.  Give him a top 10-15 CB pick, if he so chooses, and he won't miss.

CB/S is never a deep lottery pick.

C'mon Russ..I don't think anyone is expecting a HOF with every pick. Just someone who stays on the roster and contributes in a meaningful way. 

I don't get your formula statement. Are you saying BB doesn't put a premium on drafting db's early? I don't buy that. Early is relative based upon where your slotted to pick and how you use your picks unless of course you trade up. So, looking at where the pats have picked, I would say they have dedicated a lot of their early picks to the db position with not muchsuccess. Just look who is starting for us....a number 1 pick with McCourty and a bunch of udfa's and late round kids less Chung. Dowling for all intents is a 1 st round pick who is warming the bench. I doubt BB hoped it would pan out this way.  

Even you can admit the investment he has made in the defensive backfield has not yielded the desired return? 

Sections
Shortcuts