Josh Boyer - Time to Go?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Josh Boyer - Time to Go?

Has BB ever replaced a coach during the season?  I don't recall that happening. 

Anyway, is it possible that over the last 4 years while he has had primary responsibility for the defensive secondary, that each and every one of the guys he has coached has not had the skill set and brains to succeed and improve?  That's hard to fathom.  I won't go through the list of all the draftees that have been released (many).   Who has improved under his tenure?  Give me one name?

What would we lose if we let him go and brought in someone else?   Right now I think the Pats need to use the next few weeks and the bye week for a midseason mini-camp for the secondary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Josh Boyer - Time to Go?

I've been advocating the dismissal of Boyer for a while now as their DB's have consistently demonstrated poor technique, awareness and coverage ability... we also haven't seen much  development in the relatively high round picks used on a lot of these players.

For a HC that, by all accounts, hates when players make the same mistake over and over again, I'm not sure how this issue has seemed to continue.

If it's not a talent issue, it has to be a coaching issue... either way, they're extremely flawed in the secondary department.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I've been advocating the dismissal of Boyer for a while now as their DB's have consistently demonstrated poor technique, awareness and coverage ability... we also haven't seen much  development in the relatively high round picks used on a lot of these players.

For a HC that, by all accounts, hates when players make the same mistake over and over again, I'm not sure how this issue has seemed to continue.

If it's not a talent issue, it has to be a coaching issue... either way, they're extremely flawed in the secondary department.

Thanks MB.  Glad to get your input.  I'm not even clear on what BB saw in this guy.  He didn't follow in the Wesleyan path or former Browns' assistants.  I thought it was a joke when I saw that prior to joining the Pats he was:

DC at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I want to believe with every fiber of my being that this is a coaching issue, but I am running out of steam with that line of thinking. I'm really finding it hard to believe that we can fix this secondary with coaching. We seem to be coming up short on both over-all talent, and even more important is the ability to scout good talent for the defensive backfield. I would really like someone to prove me wrong and say that this will definitely be fixed by coaching, but after 5+ years of the same old crappy pass defense, I think we are lacking God-given talent. Perhaps we should make a change in the scouts that are telling BB that these guys are the right pick? That seems to make sense to me...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to patsfan76's comment:

I think its very hard to tell where the blame is right now. ON one hand J.Boyer is a nobody who probably shouldnt be coaching at this level and on the other hand, he hasnt been here since 05' and thats when our secondary started to blow.

Not sure if this is what you meant to say.  Actually Boyer has been here since '06 though his duties increased in '09.  Things have really gone downhill since his "leadership".  I am still waiting for someone to name one player who has improved in that time.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's not just that the DB's have played bad either it's that they've all gotten progressively worse the following years:

Butler - alright rook year, showed he was a rook but also showed promise

McCourty - his rook year would actually look back for the ball, since he hasn't been able to stay on a receivers hips like his rook year and gets more PI because he no longer looks back then anyone in football

Ras - impressed them so much last year he started on his first two games before injury, since he's played a disappearing act

Moore - looked like he improved over Arrington by seasons end last year, since he's just a JAG

There is something seriously wrong with the DB's and I don't think it's the talent

Sections
Shortcuts