Josh Gordon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Josh Gordon

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

Interesting how the op doesn't seem to want Gordon to be accountable whatsoever. Why is that?

Because he is 23 years old with substance abuse issues. I much prefer him to receive help and see if he can overcome these issues, rather than see him cut loose, and end up killing some one or killing himself.

From all reports, Gordon has been accountable to his team with regards to attendance of meetings, games and team activities, has been a good team mate and citizen, other than his substance abuse issues. 

If options are in place for this young man to get help, shouldn't the NFL, the team and the players association insure that he gets it? 

He's had free options, probably, his whole athletic life. You make it sound like he's a first time offender with a clean record.  The fact that he is a rescidivist is proof that he has NOT held himself accountable.  Showing up for meetings and practices has nothing to do with whether he has held himself accountable. Do the failed drug test also show that he has held himself accountable?  Why shouldn't Gordon pay for his own rehab?  I would be more compassionate for those who were below the poverty line.

You've offered very little justification as to why others should be held accountable for Gordon's poor choices - and offer even less justification as to why Gordon should not hold himself accountable.

Again, maybe it's this thought process that is obliterating Gordon's chances of true recovery.

Whoa, I am not holding anyone other than Gordon himself accountable. All I am advocating is that the guy has a disease. The NFL and the team should try to help him over come the disease. 

Again, according to the former captain of the Browns, the team has pretty much done nothing to help this guy out. It has been the other players who have. For the most part, when around the team, by all accounts the guy is a good team mate and good guy. It is when he is not around the team, that he falls into the substance issues....

Paying for the programs is irrelevant, regardless if it is the NFL, the team, the PA or the player himself, the NFL should get this guy help before it is too lTe

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Interesting how the op doesn't seem to want Gordon to be accountable whatsoever. Why is that?

Because he is 23 years old with substance abuse issues. I much prefer him to receive help and see if he can overcome these issues, rather than see him cut loose, and end up killing some one or killing himself.

From all reports, Gordon has been accountable to his team with regards to attendance of meetings, games and team activities, has been a good team mate and citizen, other than his substance abuse issues. 

If options are in place for this young man to get help, shouldn't the NFL, the team and the players association insure that he gets it? 

He's had free options, probably, his whole athletic life. You make it sound like he's a first time offender with a clean record.  The fact that he is a rescidivist is proof that he has NOT held himself accountable.  Showing up for meetings and practices has nothing to do with whether he has held himself accountable. Do the failed drug test also show that he has held himself accountable?  Why shouldn't Gordon pay for his own rehab?  I would be more compassionate for those who were below the poverty line.

You've offered very little justification as to why others should be held accountable for Gordon's poor choices - and offer even less justification as to why Gordon should not hold himself accountable.

Again, maybe it's this thought process that is obliterating Gordon's chances of true recovery.

Btw, other than your view of the hard line might work ( which it very rarely does)...I haven't seen you offer up any opposing opinions to mine that carry any weight? PleSe lost your thoughts other than the guy needs to hold himself accountable, so sayonara. Go smoke weed, drive drunk and maybe kill so done, or yourself....that sounds like. REally good plan!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

At what point in an elite athlete's life do you teach him that the rules actually do apply to him?

It's easy enough to rail at young millionaires who understand responsibility not at all because no one -- ever since they picked up a ball and the dollar signs started dancing -- has ever required (some of) them to have any. Less easy is to examine the entire process that creates these situations. I mean . . .   maybe giving physically gifted tardbots truckloads of money isn't the same as . . .   oh, let's say . . .   giving a toddler a loaded gun . . .   but ultimately we could look at the zero-accountability society we've created and cringe. Oh . . . and never also forget that these guys cripple themselves for our entertainment, so we could open up an entire can of worms over this if this were a different kind of forum.  

In recovery we like to say that when you point your finger at somebody else, three of them are still pointing back at you . . .  "treatment" is chock-full of stuff like that.

Prolly be good for him.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Btw, other than your view of the hard line might work ( which it very rarely does)...I haven't seen you offer up any opposing opinions to mine that carry any weight? PleSe lost your thoughts other than the guy needs to hold himself accountable, so sayonara. Go smoke weed, drive drunk and maybe kill so done, or yourself....that sounds like. REally good plan!

On the contrary, if you take a look at any kind of rehab program - what's typically the first step? Yep, holding oneself accountable for one's own actions. That's like - so critical and basic - that you've conveniently discarded the importance of that aspect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

On the contrary, if you take a look at any kind of rehab program - what's typically the first step? Yep, holding oneself accountable for one's own actions. That's like - so critical and basic - that you've conveniently discarded the importance of that aspect.

Exactly.  One of the most common things said after "slips" is "everytime I do this . . . or everytime I do that . . .", I feel compelled to drink, or do whatever else the drug of choice is.  One of the most difficult things to do for people who have addictive personalities is to stay away from the people, places and things that can trigger this kind of behavior.   Accountability begins with the First Step which is "We admitted that we were powerless over -----That our lives had become manageable. . .

In some cases this First Step is even more difficult for those who have been successful for most of their lives and can't realize that they are heading on a potentially steep downward slope.  Everything is turned even more inward while saying "I can handle this".  BTW, I'm certainly not saying that someone who has had a one time occurence of having too much to drink and gets into a jackpot is an alcoholic.  It's the repeat occurrences that are the tell tale sign.  

Now there are some who believe in the "Just Say No" BS.   I remember when I lived up in MA and happened to be driving by the Pine Street Inn in the Dead of Winter.  I could see some of the guys outside with 3 inch Frozen Snots sharing a bottle of wine.  Some of them probably preffered a heating grate to the Inn.   This is as close to the bottom as one could get with the absolute bottom being death.   So to the "this is a choice" crowd, I would ask would a sane person "choose" to live this way?  I do not believe so.  So I can't say for sure but perhaps there is a particular gene in some people that allow this disease to grow exponetially to these levels if left untreated.   In any event, it's definately a tragedy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Don't these guys get enough help as it is? They have a rookie orientation that is very impressive, where they are warned about dangers they will face as professional athletes. I've heard that most teams supply an emergency number to players when they need help getting home when they are intoxicated. I mean how much more can teams give these guys? They pay them millions. They feed them. They give them enough workout clothes to last ten years (sneakers, shorts, shirts, all the best supplements). They fly them around on private charters, they stay in the best hotels, they are surrounded by security. They even have people there to put an end to a press conference when it's too much for the player to handle. They want to go out to a local restaurant? A phone call from someone in the organization can get them any table, on any night they want...same for concerts, shows, etc.

If they want to screw up like Gordon does, why not just punish them by putting them back into the real world?

Don't most of the issues crop up during down times though? When the player is not around the team, team mates and the facility? 

I think that is the crux of the comments from Jackson. Gordon is seemingly a good guy, hard worker and good team mate. Around vets like Jackson, he mostly does the right thing. 

Rookie orientation reminds me of college freshman orientation. Not sure on your kid status and age of said kids, but my sons freshman dorm hall had a 75% failure rate and did not return for soph year. (UNC, 5 years ago) 

UNC, much like my daughters school, had zero tolerance for crimes against women, assaults, threats and scholastic cheating. However they turned a blind eye towards drinking and pot smoking. They didn't want to know, and didn't care. 

The NFL seems similar these days. Don't hit your wife, don't get into bar brawls, don't get caught with PED's. But if you drink and don't drive, or smoke weed we really don't care.

I just never thought of the nfl the way you are describing it, maybe I'm blind to it, but I had a friend who used to speak to incoming rookies for the Patriots...believe me you'd be lucky to receive the information they are given...many that sit in that room don't heed his warnings.

Hey maybe you are right, but personally I don't buy that they aren't responsible for their actions when the off season comes. They are lucky as hell to have that time off and what do they do? They abuse it. The problem is you can't make people behave the way they should, they have to want to be responsible and smart. They need to understand this stuff for themselves, that's the only way that I can see solving problems like this. So perhaps extend a hand to Gordon if you're the Browns (which they may of already have) and if he doesn't take it, it's all on him.

And no my kids aren't college age yet, thank god, I have seen what tuition looks like lately. Wow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Whoa, I am not holding anyone other than Gordon himself accountable. All I am advocating is that the guy has a disease. The NFL and the team should try to help him over come the disease. 

Again, according to the former captain of the Browns, the team has pretty much done nothing to help this guy out. It has been the other players who have. For the most part, when around the team, by all accounts the guy is a good team mate and good guy. It is when he is not around the team, that he falls into the substance issues....

Paying for the programs is irrelevant, regardless if it is the NFL, the team, the PA or the player himself, the NFL should get this guy help before it is too lTe

LMAO - you have missed the point big time!!!  Gordon does NOT hold himself accountable.  He's failed numerous drug tests over and over and over again.  Why is that? Is it because he hasn't had access to rehab (free or not)? NOPE. You really think that people have never tried helping him? NOPE. 

Do you think he's been coddled since picking up his habit?  YEP.  More likely than not - there has NEVER BEEN ANYTHING TANGIBLE FOR HIM TO LOSE BECAUSE HE WAS CODDLED AND NOTHING WAS TAKEN AWAY FROM HIM - ZERO CONSEQUENCES.

So, your approach has CLEARLY NOT WORKED because your approach has been in use for a very long time.

YEP. Take everything away from him - let him face some real consequences and have him hold himself accountable FOR ONCE.  That's where you have missed the boat entirely - GORDON DOES NOT HOLD HIMSELF ACCOUNTABLE.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

Exactly.  One of the most common things said after "slips" is "everytime I do this . . . or everytime I do that . . .", I feel compelled to drink, or do whatever else the drug of choice is.  One of the most difficult things to do for people who have addictive personalities is to stay away from the people, places and things that can trigger this kind of behavior.   Accountability begins with the First Step which is "We admitted that we were powerless over -----That our lives had become manageable. . .

In some cases this First Step is even more difficult for those who have been successful for most of their lives and can't realize that they are heading on a potentially steep downward slope.  Everything is turned even more inward while saying "I can handle this".  BTW, I'm certainly not saying that someone who has had a one time occurence of having too much to drink and gets into a jackpot is an alcoholic.  It's the repeat occurrences that are the tell tale sign.  

Now there are some who believe in the "Just Say No" BS.   I remember when I lived up in MA and happened to be driving by the Pine Street Inn in the Dead of Winter.  I could see some of the guys outside with 3 inch Frozen Snots sharing a bottle of wine.  Some of them probably preffered a heating grate to the Inn.   This is as close to the bottom as one could get with the absolute bottom being death.   So to the "this is a choice" crowd, I would ask would a sane person "choose" to live this way?  I do not believe so.  So I can't say for sure but perhaps there is a particular gene in some people that allow this disease to grow exponetially to these levels if left untreated.   In any event, it's definately a tragedy.

ncpats, you should be proud of yourself. I can only imagine how hard it truly is.  These stories are tragedies; I have much more compassion for "regular" people like you and I. I have less tolerance for those who have the means and the access to help themselves - and simply choose not to; especially if they have not held themselves accountable. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

I am having trouble calling this a disease ?

or

when did marijana use become an addiction?

That was a disease?

this. Kid has had help, but he isn't a kid

i think it sad, but  legal responsibility is his, he has the money

i have problems with a lot the nfl does, but this isn't one of them

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

Most people label chronic marijuana smoking substance abuse, as does the NFL

Addiction= : a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)

According to the ex captain of the Browns, the kid has not had help. 

i really do appreciate your good heartiness on this issue. But there are CBA rules and it seems this guy has ignored all the help that has been offerred

I  am not crazy about making pot legal and now I hear that pot can be highly addictive and now a disease? But IMO , if it is a disease he broght it on himself. I just don't make chemical dependencies. The same as cancer. Although all smokers self may self induce cancer. The diference? You can stop doing it, but cancer is destroying cells, 

in the end this guy will get more chances

my wife just interviewed for a job, she took a drug test, if she failed she wouldn't qualify, hard  for me to feel sorry for Gordon

keep posting, respectful disagreement is what this forum is part about

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Colts Waive Brazill - good for the Colts. They're doing Brazill a favor. Gordon should be waived too.

------------------------

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Indianapolis Colts have waived backup wide receiver LaVon Brazill, one week after he was suspended for the 2014 season by the NFL for violating its substance-abuse policy.

Brazill was suspended for the first four games last season for violating the substance abuse policy. He said at the time it was for marijuana use.

Brazill played in 10 games last season, finishing with 12 catches for 161 yards and two touchdowns. Over two seasons, including the playoffs, he had 30 catches for 491 yards and five touchdowns. He was drafted in the sixth round out of Ohio University in 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Seeya next year, Josh

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Apparently Godell thinks smoking some pot is worse than knocking you're girlfriend out cold in an elevator. only a 2 game suspension for Ray Rice.  what a JOKE!

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Gordon is facing an indefinite ban for violating the substance abuse policy for at least the third time. The league can only disclose so much. What drug? How many times?

What the player claims the reason was ain't worth the paper it's written on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

REpeated from The NFl is a joke

So once again I am confused - lol

Gordon

First I hear that Gordon has a disease and the NFL is not taking care of him

Next I hear that

its just weed so whats the big deal?

if I owned a team I dont think I would be loving having someone smoke every day?

I dont know how it effects the Body or the brain in the short term or long term

As for Rice - Im surpoised he got anything -

As some know here - nI am not an NFL fan in how its run. But I am sort of a "rules" guy

Gordon is a repeater and Rice is not- One may efftct his football play the other does not

Whatever, I am just happy that the PAts dont have alot of these distractions

at least AH is out of the clubhousse

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

When I think of how much some of us do to protect our image, our credit rating and cultivate new skills just to be employable in a job that barely pays the bills I am amazed how little some of these guys do for millions of dollars and a lifetime of security. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

The window in professional sports is just a small period in a persons life. All these guys need to do is stay out of trouble and take care of themselves for 10 or 12 years. They are then set for life financially. These guys can't do that. They lack the maturity and discipline to do the right thing. They usually end up in jail or broke soon after the last paycheck. Vince Young was spending $5,000 per week at the Cheesecake Factory. Pacman Jones had to have security posted outside his room to keep him from acting up. Many others are spending tens of thousands of dollars on strippers, and child support payments. Some have a dozen kids by 10 different women. These idiots should be ashamed of themselves. Instead they are worshiped by their entourage. I feel bad for guys that bust their as$ and keep getting cut. They would do anything to trade places with these morons.

Good post. I was good friends with a lady who was married to a pro kicker. They ended up getting divorced because of his lifestyle that included crazy spending habits. She is now doing very well for herself and he is flat azz broke trying to live off his glory days, without much success.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

My experience in working with addicts and families of addicts is that there can be no progress unless they come to terms with the fact that they have an illness that is beyond their control.  The motivation for healing has to come from within.  Until the addict him or herself can truly accept that they have the disease of addiction, it just won't matter what you do.  It might seem harsh, but ultimately the addict has to be allowed to crash and burn.  Until they bottom out, it's unlikely anything is going to change their behavior.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

LMAO - you have missed the point big time!!!  Gordon does NOT hold himself accountable.  He's failed numerous drug tests over and over and over again.  Why is that? Is it because he hasn't had access to rehab (free or not)? NOPE. You really think that people have never tried helping him? NOPE. 

Do you think he's been coddled since picking up his habit?  YEP.  More likely than not - there has NEVER BEEN ANYTHING TANGIBLE FOR HIM TO LOSE BECAUSE HE WAS CODDLED AND NOTHING WAS TAKEN AWAY FROM HIM - ZERO CONSEQUENCES.

So, your approach has CLEARLY NOT WORKED because your approach has been in use for a very long time.

YEP. Take everything away from him - let him face some real consequences and have him hold himself accountable FOR ONCE.  That's where you have missed the boat entirely - GORDON DOES NOT HOLD HIMSELF ACCOUNTABLE.

+1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

My wife , My brother in law and a close friend all just interviewed for jobs with National Brand name companies -they all had to take a drug test - if they failed they would not be hired. 

So I am having a tuff time with this guy who knows the rules and flips them - for a life time of security he can grow up. I am still not going along that he is an "addict" on pot

Sections
Shortcuts