Josh Mac tabs Kyle Orton as starter...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Re: Josh Mac tabs Kyle Orton as starter...

B - I think this assessment has validity.  It seems I read something about almost exactly this and the interesting thing was that what J Mac did is very much like what bb did in clev (getting rid of Kosar), which to some extent backfired on bb and got him canned.  on the other hand, when bb got the pats job he did not rid the team of its current franchise Drew Bledsoe, but used bledsoe's injury as the launching point for Brady's career.  What good fortune BB had with Brady.  Most would like to call belichick a genius for this, but if any (including bb) had an inkling that brady would become one of the best qb's ever, he never ever would have lasted to the 6th round.  But I digress.  bb's softer/slower approach to making the NE team HIS team worked while his hard/immediate approach in cleveland failed.  If history is a guide, I think we will see J mac as a coordinator in a few years.  
    Posted by underdogg

No, I don't call BB a genius for finding Brady...only a certain scout that is no longer in the organization (forgot his name but I think he died a few years ago) had such a belief and was able to sell Brady to a highly reluctant (at that time) BB and Co....but BB certainly was smart enough to continue to use him as the wins continued to pile up during the 2001 season on the way to a SB win.

I share your assessment of JMac as a permanent OC in the league should he fail in Denver....his lack of flexibility when the heat is on (i.e. SB loss vs. Giants; and dealing with both the media and Cutler during the Cutler situation) does not bode well for him or the Broncos organization.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Todd Marinovich?

You're giving me Todd Marinovich?

Tongue out

Shenanigans!

Two minutes, sin bin -- excessive reach.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

How exactly is McDanials a liar?

Taz, I keep asking the same question, and as of yet no one has answered it with anything substantial.

It seems I read something about almost exactly this and the interesting thing was that what J Mac did is very much like what bb did in clev (getting rid of Kosar), which to some extent backfired on bb and got him canned.  on the other hand, when bb got the pats job he did not rid the team of its current franchise Drew Bledsoe, but used bledsoe's injury as the launching point for Brady's career. 

The two big differences here were that Testaverde was a first round pick and BB was able to bring him in to replace the aging Kosar. Brady was a sixth, and had no experience, so it would have been foolish to supplant Bledsoe right away. And BB did take the Browns to the playoffs, but the whole team was derailed when Modell decided to move to Baltimore. He also never had anywhere near the support from ownership in Cleveland like he does in Foxboro. I doubt replacing Kosar had anything to do with his firing, it was mainly the fans who were outraged.

As for your comment cassel did better in dec than manning did in Jan, what are you trying to say?

Merely a reference point. I used this in response to your claim that Cassel was "solely to blame" for the Patriots missing the playoffs (much like your contention that it's the defense's fault when the Colts lose, and Manning can't bear the blame). I don't claim that December games are comparable to January ones, though sometimes they are. In December teams are fighting for playoff spots, and this puts the pressure on. Of course, it's not all the games, and in January the competition is always among the elite, while in December it's "luck of the draw" as far as opponents go.

Additionally, it suggests then that manning's 3 mvp awards clearly define him as the best qb of this last decade.  I really don't think that is what you are saying

You should well know that I would never suggest anything like this!!! Nor was I trying to compare Cassel to Manning. Simply defending Cassel against your blaming of him, as stated above.

Manning was raised to play quarterback from the time he could walk. That's why scouts overlooked his choking tendencies. He was as can't-miss as anyone since Jim Plunkett, and Plunkett got battered for years before his promise panned out.

Luckily for Manning the Colts built a team around him. Plunkett never got the same, as NE couldn't seem to put enough pieces around him. But still, Manning stepped up a lot quicker than Plunkett did. He also played in a tougher college conference. The Colts probably assumed the "choking tendency" was more due to the quality of his supporting cast (being the NCAA). But it was still a no-brainer between him and Leaf, as Leaf was truly only superior in arm strength, not in leadership abilities.

The Bears the 4th best team in the league? Fourth best in NFC if they are lucky...  

I didn't read the article, but I'm thinking he might have meant fourth in the division!

Also, I'm not sure he'll turn on his team. He might cry at Lovie, and isn't a good leader, but I don't think he's the bus throwing type. Is he? I never paid attention to the Broncos.

I haven't heard of Cutler throwing the blame on the team, either. But he seemingly couldn't handle "tough coaching", which IMO is due to Shanahan. And seeing how Lovie handled Rex Grossman (being another "nice guy" type of coach), I suspect Cutler will not mature much in Chicago along these lines. I think he's in for a rude awakening in Chicago, especially in December when he tries his style of play in Soldier Field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Todd Marinovich? You're giving me Todd Marinovich? Shenanigans! Two minutes, sin bin -- excessive reach.
    Posted by prairiemike

According to sources - the minute the Marinovich's knew todd was going to be a boy, Mr. Marinovich made Mrs Marinovich swallow a small football in hopes that Todd would be born with it. 

I think the story mentioned that after swallowing, Mr. Marinovich told her - "now you better not cr ap this out.  this boy's gonna be a football player." :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Re: Mr. Marinovich and Kids

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
    For they have their own thoughts.
    You may house their bodies but not their souls,
    For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
    which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
    You may strive to be like them,
    but seek not to make them like you.
    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
    You are the bows from which your children
    as living arrows are sent forth.
    - Kahil Gibran

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

bub and others - McDaniels told culter that he was his guy then made an effort to get his former guy.  You don't see that as a lie?  Honestly, who other than brady or manning would have been worth the change for cutler prior to cutler's antics. 

He is easily the most promising young QB in the league.  After the antics, then everyone has a different opinion, but up to then he was a young go to guy.  So if Mcdaniels really wanted someone as marginal as Cassel, why lie to cutler and tell him that the he was his guy? 

Maybe I'm missing something.  Maybe this is a new england thing that's commonplace in Boston.  I guess that's what Chowds call tough coaching.  Where I come from, its a lie.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

bub and others - McDaniels told culter that he was his guy then made an effort to get his former guy.  You don't see that as a lie?

First off, when McDaniels stated that Cutler was "the guy". And you keep stating that Josh "made an effort" to get Cassel. Do you have some sort of source for this? From what I've heard, it was a couple other teams who called Denver trying to swing a deal. McDaniels would have been negligent in his job to not at least listen to what was on the table. You (and others) try to make it sound like Josh was telling Cutler there would be no doubt he was the starter, then hanging up and placing a call to BB to try and land Cassel. I'm sorry, but there's no evidence to support that. This is the NFL, and no matter what the situation is, it can change at any moment if an opportunity presents itself. Cutler is no brain surgeon, but he has to be smart enough to know this. If not he needs to grow the hell up!

Honestly, who other than brady or manning would have been worth the change for cutler prior to cutler's antics.

That is a question that's impossible to answer. Maybe to you Cutler was the third best QB in the league. Evidently he wasn't in McDaniels' opinion. As for myself, I would consider guys like Roethlisburger, Palmer, Brees, and even Rivers as better options than Cutler. I'm sure if you asked all 32 GMs there would be a whole lot of difference in opinion.

He is easily the most promising young QB in the league.  After the antics, then everyone has a different opinion, but up to then he was a young go to guy. 

Again, this may be your honest opinion. But in three years he has not yet proven he can lead a team to the playoffs. In the NFL a lot of coaches don't assume they have all the time in the world. I'm not saying Cutler doesn't have talent, but it takes more than that to make it as an NFL QB. Just ask Jeff Fisher about Vince Young.

So if Mcdaniels really wanted someone as marginal as Cassel, why lie to cutler and tell him that the he was his guy? 

Again, there is nothing proving McDaniels "really wanted" Cassel. He didn't initiate the talks, or else he most likely would have been talking to BB as soon as Cassel was franchised, rather than having a third party approach him. And if Cassel is "marginal", how is it that he won three more games than Cutler, who you claim is the third best QB in the league?

Maybe I'm missing something.  Maybe this is a new england thing that's commonplace in Boston.  I guess that's what Chowds call tough coaching.  Where I come from, its a lie.  

Here comes the troll! You evidently are either "missing something", or you are simply assuming the entire world shares your personal opinions. There have been many instances of players losing their jobs to others, so it is league wide, not just custom in NE. And even if McDaniels was "looking" to replace him, why would he say anything to Cutler before he explored his options? At the time this supposed "lie" happened Cutler was the guy. That would only be a distraction to him going into the offseason.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on running an NFL offense. But many others hold the same opinion that Cutler was not the best QB for Josh's system. He is a gunslinger, a la Favre, and McDaniels seems to prefer a more conservative style. And even after all this had gone down, he still tried to have a sit down with Cutler to work things out. I'm thinking he would have informed him that he needed to change his style a bit, and wouldn't have the option to freelance like he did with Shanahan. But Cutler refused to even meet with the guy, and let his agent do his talking. Once that happens it means trouble. My guess is that Cutler wanted no part of the new system, so he cried for a trade, trying to paint McDaniels as the villian. So while you and others may see it as a huge mistake, that is not everyone's opinion. I happen to think they can do as well even with Orton. But (IMO) to call Josh a liar for not telling his QB everything he was planning to do with the team is foolish. You would also then have to put that tag on a lot of coaches and GMs, as this is commonplace in the NFL. For you to suggest this sort of thing only happens in Boston is ridiculous! This is the type of comment which will brand you a troll in a lot of people's minds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

bub and others - McDaniels told culter that he was his guy then made an effort to get his former guy.  You don't see that as a lie?

First off, when McDaniels stated that Cutler was "the guy". And you keep stating that Josh "made an effort" to get Cassel. Do you have some sort of source for this? From what I've heard, it was a couple other teams who called Denver trying to swing a deal. McDaniels would have been negligent in his job to not at least listen to what was on the table. You (and others) try to make it sound like Josh was telling Cutler there would be no doubt he was the starter, then hanging up and placing a call to BB to try and land Cassel. I'm sorry, but there's no evidence to support that. This is the NFL, and no matter what the situation is, it can change at any moment if an opportunity presents itself. Cutler is no brain surgeon, but he has to be smart enough to know this. If not he needs to grow the hell up!
    I GUESS YOU HEAR (OR READ) WHAT YOU WANT.  IF THIS SITUATION WAS AS BENIGN AS YOU WANT TO THINK IT WAS, THEN I'VE GOT SOME GREAT LAND IN SOUTH CENTRAL FLORIDA YOU MIGHT LIKE TO BUY. 

Honestly, who other than brady or manning would have been worth the change for cutler prior to cutler's antics.

That is a question that's impossible to answer. Maybe to you Cutler was the third best QB in the league. Evidently he wasn't in McDaniels' opinion. As for myself, I would consider guys like Roethlisburger, Palmer, Brees, and even Rivers as better options than Cutler. I'm sure if you asked all 32 GMs there would be a whole lot of difference in opinion.
    POINT TAKEN.  BUT SOME WOULD CLAIM ROETHLISBURGER HAS BEEN ON THE GOOD SIDE OF FORTUNE.  PALMER AND BREES ARE BOTH VERY GOOD POINTS.  RIVERS, I DON'T THINK THEY MAKE THE SWITCH (LATERAL MOVE).  BUT PER MY COMMENT BELOW, I MENTIONED YOUNG QB.  AS I SEE IT (AND MAYBE I AM WRONG) UNLESS YOU ARE GETTING MANNING OR BRADY, YOU KEEP CUTLER BECAUSE OF HIS AGE AND SKILL AT HIS AGE.

He is easily the most promising young QB in the league.  After the antics, then everyone has a different opinion, but up to then he was a young go to guy. 

Again, this may be your honest opinion. But in three years he has not yet proven he can lead a team to the playoffs. In the NFL a lot of coaches don't assume they have all the time in the world. I'm not saying Cutler doesn't have talent, but it takes more than that to make it as an NFL QB. Just ask Jeff Fisher about Vince Young.
    THIS IS EXACTLY WHERE I GET SIDEWAYS WITH PATS FANS.  FOR EXAMPLE, YOU WANT TO DEFEND CASSEL WHOSE BEEN IN THE SYSTEM FOR 4 YEARS AND TAKES OVER A TEAM THAT WENT 18-0 IN THE PRIOR YEAR.  HE DOES NOT LEAD HIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS, BUT YOU WANT TO CALL HIM A SUCCESS.  ON THE OTHER HAND, WE'VE GOT CUTLER WHO THREW FOR 4,500 YDS, BUT ALSO HAD ONE THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE NFL BY NEARLY EVERY PUNDITS STANDARDS, AND YOU WANT TO CRITICIZE HIM FOR NOT LEADING HIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS.  HOW DO YOU LET CASSEL OFF THE HOOK WITH 18-0 TALENT AROUND HIM BUT BASH CUTLER WHOSE DEFENSE RANKED WITH DETROIT AND ST LOUIS?

So if Mcdaniels really wanted someone as marginal as Cassel, why lie to cutler and tell him that the he was his guy?

Again, there is nothing proving McDaniels "really wanted" Cassel. He didn't initiate the talks, or else he most likely would have been talking to BB as soon as Cassel was franchised, rather than having a third party approach him. And if Cassel is "marginal", how is it that he won three more games than Cutler, who you claim is the third best QB in the league?
    YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHETHER OR NOT MCDANIELS INITIATED TALKS.  SEE ABOVE.  BY THE WAY IN 2007 (CUTLER'S FIRST FULL YEAR STARTING), ONLY DETROIT, ST. LOUIS, MIAMI, AND ATLANTA'S D GAVE UP MORE POINTS THAN DENVER. 

Here comes the troll! You evidently are either "missing something", or you are simply assuming the entire world shares your personal opinions. There have been many instances of players losing their jobs to others, so it is league wide, not just custom in NE. And even if McDaniels was "looking" to replace him, why would he say anything to Cutler before he explored his options? At the time this supposed "lie" happened Cutler was the guy. That would only be a distraction to him going into the offseason.
    SO IF MCDANIELS HAS THE RIGHT TO CHANGE HIS MIND AND OPERATE AS HE PLEASES IN THIS WORLD OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS, THEN WHY CRITICIZE THE QUARTERBACK FOR THE SAME.  SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU THINK COACHES HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO OR SAY WHATEVER THEY PLEASE, AND IT IS "JUST BUSINESS", BUT WHEN A PLAYER UNDER CONTRACT FLEXES HIS OWN MUSCLE, YOU LABEL HIM A MALCONTENT.  WHY ARE ANY COACH'S ACTIONS ACCEPTABLE BUT A PLAYER'S ARE NOT?

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on running an NFL offense. But many others hold the same opinion that Cutler was not the best QB for Josh's system. He is a gunslinger, a la Favre, and McDaniels seems to prefer a more conservative style. And even after all this had gone down, he still tried to have a sit down with Cutler to work things out. I'm thinking he would have informed him that he needed to change his style a bit, and wouldn't have the option to freelance like he did with Shanahan. But Cutler refused to even meet with the guy, and let his agent do his talking. Once that happens it means trouble. My guess is that Cutler wanted no part of the new system, so he cried for a trade, trying to paint McDaniels as the villian. So while you and others may see it as a huge mistake, that is not everyone's opinion. I happen to think they can do as well even with Orton. But (IMO) to call Josh a liar for not telling his QB everything he was planning to do with the team is foolish. You would also then have to put that tag on a lot of coaches and GMs, as this is commonplace in the NFL. For you to suggest this sort of thing only happens in Boston is ridiculous! This is the type of comment which will brand you a troll in a lot of people's minds.

MCDANIELS IS IN FOR A TOUGH GIG.  ITS ONE THING TO BE AN OFFENSIVE BOY GENIUS ON A TEAM WITH THE BEST TALENT IN THE LEAGUE AND/OR A DEFENSE THAT CONSISTENTLY RANKS IN THE TOP 5-10.  SOMETIMES A GUNSLINGER MENTALITY IS CARVED BY THE INADEQUECIES ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BALL.  I HOPE MCDANIEL'S CONSERVATIVE STYLE MOVES THE CHAINS, BECAUSE IF IT DOESN'T THE BRONCOS WILL BE RINGING UP SIGNIFICANTLY MORE NUMBERS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE WIN/LOSS COLUMN.  AS FOR WHY CUTLER DID WHAT HE DID, MY GUESS IS HE WANTED MORE MONEY.  THE STORIES SAID AS MUCH.  CUTLERS THOUGHT, "IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE STRAIGHT WITH ME, THEN I AM GOING TO MAKE YOU PROVE YOUR COMMITMENT".  WHEN HIS AGENT GOT NOWHERE WITH A GREATER COMMITMENT FROM MCDANIELS, THAT TOLD CUTLER ALL HE NEEDED TO KNOW. 

ALL MCDANIELS NEEDED TO SAY AT THE OUTSET WAS THAT HE WAS EXCITED TO WORK WITH CUTLER.  THE "MY GUY" COMMENT MADE A LIAR OUT OF HIM, AND CUTLER CALLED HIS BLUFF.  YOU DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE MCDANIELS WAS ONE OF YOUR GUYS, BUT AFTER THE LIE, TO CUTLER IT WAS "JUST BUSINESS".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I GUESS YOU HEAR (OR READ) WHAT YOU WANT.  IF THIS SITUATION WAS AS BENIGN AS YOU WANT TO THINK IT WAS, THEN I'VE GOT SOME GREAT LAND IN SOUTH CENTRAL FLORIDA YOU MIGHT LIKE TO BUY. 

I have never read anything stating McDaniels initiated the talks. If you have some kind of link to a story stating this, please post it. Unless you have evidence I'd say neither one of us could be 100% sure of all the facts.

POINT TAKEN.  BUT SOME WOULD CLAIM ROETHLISBURGER HAS BEEN ON THE GOOD SIDE OF FORTUNE.  PALMER AND BREES ARE BOTH VERY GOOD POINTS.  RIVERS, I DON'T THINK THEY MAKE THE SWITCH (LATERAL MOVE).  BUT PER MY COMMENT BELOW, I MENTIONED YOUNG QB.  AS I SEE IT (AND MAYBE I AM WRONG) UNLESS YOU ARE GETTING MANNING OR BRADY, YOU KEEP CUTLER BECAUSE OF HIS AGE AND SKILL AT HIS AGE.

Were I to be in that position, I think I'd take Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco over Cutler. Again, this is just my opinion. That doesn't make either one of us right or wrong. We just judge potential differently.

HOW DO YOU LET CASSEL OFF THE HOOK WITH 18-0 TALENT AROUND HIM BUT BASH CUTLER WHOSE DEFENSE RANKED WITH DETROIT AND ST LOUIS?

Cassel did not have the same team around him that went 18-1. Samuel was gone, half the defense was on IR, and quite a few key players missed substantial game time. And though he had "been in the system" for four years, he had yet to start an NFL game. I'd say he did pretty well, and not many guys in the same position would have done any better. Also, missing the playoffs doesn't even factor into the equation. The team went 11-5, and only once before in history has a team with such a record missed the postseason. As far as Cutler goes, bad defense is not a factor in my opinion. As the season wore on Cutler's play declined, and his mistakes increased. Desperation or not, top notch QBs perform their best under such pressure. Your Manning managed to pull out some wins after the defense "let him down". Cutler could not finish the season like he started it, and this is not the first year this has happened. Playoffs and records aside, Cutler got worse after Thanksgiving, while Cassel peaked, with the exception of the Steelers game.

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHETHER OR NOT MCDANIELS INITIATED TALKS. 

And unless you have some sort of link, neither do you! See above for me, also. The only reports I heard stated McDaniels was contacted by other teams, not the other way around. It was covered quite extensively on NFLN (and most analysts were clearly pro-Cutler), so I'd think they would have mentioned it if Josh had initiated any trade talks. Again, if you have a source, please enlighten us.

SO IF MCDANIELS HAS THE RIGHT TO CHANGE HIS MIND AND OPERATE AS HE PLEASES IN THIS WORLD OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS, THEN WHY CRITICIZE THE QUARTERBACK FOR THE SAME.

I never criticized Cutler for wanting a trade, simply his way of requesting one. At the least he should have sat down with McDaniels and aired his grievances man to man. Instead he hid behind his agent and refused to answer numerous calls. To me that seems immature. It's apparent that quite a few others feel the same way. Not to mention the fact that Josh was for all intents and purposes his "boss". I don't know about where you work, but if I were to pull the same thing I would be labeled similarly where I work. Still, it's all a matter of opinion. I suppose we'll have to "agree to disagree" on this, like TPat likes to say!

MCDANIELS IS IN FOR A TOUGH GIG.  ITS ONE THING TO BE AN OFFENSIVE BOY GENIUS ON A TEAM WITH THE BEST TALENT IN THE LEAGUE AND/OR A DEFENSE THAT CONSISTENTLY RANKS IN THE TOP 5-10.  SOMETIMES A GUNSLINGER MENTALITY IS CARVED BY THE INADEQUECIES ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BALL.  I HOPE MCDANIEL'S CONSERVATIVE STYLE MOVES THE CHAINS, BECAUSE IF IT DOESN'T THE BRONCOS WILL BE RINGING UP SIGNIFICANTLY MORE NUMBERS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE WIN/LOSS COLUMN.  AS FOR WHY CUTLER DID WHAT HE DID, MY GUESS IS HE WANTED MORE MONEY.  THE STORIES SAID AS MUCH.  CUTLERS THOUGHT, "IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE STRAIGHT WITH ME, THEN I AM GOING TO MAKE YOU PROVE YOUR COMMITMENT".  WHEN HIS AGENT GOT NOWHERE WITH A GREATER COMMITMENT FROM MCDANIELS, THAT TOLD CUTLER ALL HE NEEDED TO KNOW. 

I have to agree with you here. But many a player has been dealt after asking for a "raise" before their contract is up. That's just the business, and maybe Josh (and Bowlen) felt he was not worth whatever his agent may have been asking. And though verily Cutler's "gunslinging" may be due to adverse circumstances, that doesn't mean McDaniels is obligated to let him continue. I'm sure that (money aside) this was one of the factors involved in letting Cutler leave. Jay made his decision, and I agree it was his right to do so. Personally, I think Chicago isn't the best fit for him, but that is yet to be determined. At the least he got his raise, so maybe "all's well that ends well", and both parties are better off.

ALL MCDANIELS NEEDED TO SAY AT THE OUTSET WAS THAT HE WAS EXCITED TO WORK WITH CUTLER.  THE "MY GUY" COMMENT MADE A LIAR OUT OF HIM, AND CUTLER CALLED HIS BLUFF.  YOU DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE MCDANIELS WAS ONE OF YOUR GUYS, BUT AFTER THE LIE, TO CUTLER IT WAS "JUST BUSINESS". 

Another valid point. McDaniels could have handled the situation differently. But it is what it is. As a first time HC Josh is bound to make mistakes. Maybe he even considers this to be the case with the early going in this saga. And my opinion of Cutler's actions has nothing to do with McDaniels being an ex-Patriots. I simply think he handled the situation immaturely. Maybe he thought this was the only way to go, and maybe he was right. In any case, he got his wish. He now has a new team and a bigger salary, and believes he's more secure (or wanted) in Chicago. He made his bed, now he has to lie in it. All I can say is that I think he made the wrong choice. But then again, I'm no expert nor can I tell the future. Time will tell whether this move will be good or ill for either party.

Sections
Shortcuts