Josh McD to the Browns possible?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Josh McD to the Browns possible?

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Maybe mcd will take the browns job and we can finally make Russ dream come true by trading mallett for a high first round pick. The warnings were out folks, mallett and mcd was planned all along. 

LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 25m

And if Browns were to make a change, Penn State's Bill O'Brien and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels would likely top the list.

TB12 Coach Chudzinski was canned immediately after todays game, so yes both O'Brien and McD are in play, especially since their GM Mike Lombardi is a strong BB supporter. Be interesting to see what happens!

Yep, exactly what I said.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

And if Browns were to make a change, Penn State's Bill O'Brien and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels would likely top the list.

TB12 Coach Chudzinski was canned immediately after todays game, so yes both O'Brien and McD are in play, especially since their GM Mike Lombardi is a strong BB supporter. Be interesting to see what happens!

None of these guys have won without Belichick. His coaching tree is pretty weak compared to Walsh or Parcells. It takes more than hanging around an evil genius to become one. Ask Notre Dame fans, Browns fans, Chiefs fans, Broncos fans and whoever Weis is coaching now's fans (did he lose his job yet in Kansas?).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

None of these guys have won without Belichick. His coaching tree is pretty weak compared to Walsh or Parcells. It takes more than hanging around an evil genius to become one. Ask Notre Dame fans, Browns fans, Chiefs fans, Broncos fans and whoever Weis is coaching now's fans (did he lose his job yet in Kansas?).

But really, how many coaches in the league over the years can you really say are/were pretty darn good?  They aren't all over the place.  It is few and far between so why not take chances with people who worked with one of the greatest coaches of all time? 

If you want to have a bit of fun, take some time and look who BB surrounded himself with in Cleveland.  You will see a pretty darn impressive list of people who have been very successful in their football careers since then.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Just wish they would wait til after the season to do this crap .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

Just wish they would wait til after the season to do this crap .

I agree!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

But really, how many coaches in the league over the years can you really say are/were pretty darn good?  They aren't all over the place.  It is few and far between so why not take chances with people who worked with one of the greatest coaches of all time? 

If you want to have a bit of fun, take some time and look who BB surrounded himself with in Cleveland.  You will see a pretty darn impressive list of people who have been very successful in their football careers since then.

I know Saban was his D Coordinator there and he is a great coach but who else was there?

The fact his proteges keep falling on their face when they leave makes me respect Belichick and Brady even more. Parcells who was great coach was always more succesful with Belichick than without. Can you say that about any of Belichicks assistants?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

What has McDaniels really done to earn another HC job. He really bungled that last one badly. He may be another Norv Turner, great coordinator lousy head coach.

Didnt mcdaniels draft all the guys peyton is throwing too? Didn't he also acquire 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick to ship cutler( who sucks) and Marshall who was a head case at the time.

Didn't he also coordinate the 2007 patriot offense which broke most of the records, not too mention the amazing jobs he did with a truly talentless 2006 offense( would have been a super bowl win if our defense and the refs hadnt jobbed us in the afc chsmpionship game) and transforming matt cassel Into a nfl qb who went 11-5 and broke the all time patriot record with back to back 400 yard games.

Josh Mcdaniels is a good coach and a great young offensive mind.

I said he was a great coordinator but I stand by my "lousy head coach". He has a 39% winning percentage. He did not inherit a basement dweller. I don't care how many draft choices he accumulated. If you are saying he is a great GM I would point out the Tebow draft as a fiasco (though I like Tebow the person a lot). Head coaches need to win. Arguing that his team is winning now with "his" players means John Fox is a good coach, not McDaniels. Fine coordinator and lousy head coach. Hopefully if he becomes the Pats coach when Belichick retires he does a better job.

Shows what you know about the situation Josh took over in Denver. The owner decided to go in a different direction when he hired Josh and signed up for a total rebuild. You should really read up on this stuff before you pontificate about something. 

Josh got run out of Denver for the same reasons BB got run out of Cleveland. They both made a lot of good descisions that were very unpopular with the fan base and the owner caved in to the fans.

You talk about the Tebow fiasco, but the funny thing is, Tebow has still won more playoff games for Denver than Manning has and it wouldn't surprise me much if that is still the case next year.

I repeat, a 39% winning percentage and he got caught in a second spy gate and lied about it. I love him as a coordinator but he was terrible as a head coach there. Tebow won after he left. Fox coached that team. McDaniels was stinking up in St Loius when that happened. The Broncos were 8-8 the season before McDaniels arrived. Shanahan was fired because of his refusal to fire his defensive coordinator not because of his offense which was one of the best in the league.

Since his draft record is being touted as great I decided to look it up. In 2009 he had 5 picks in the first 2 rounds they are playing 2 of these guys now. One of whom is very good (Moreno) and the other one who apparently is a back up who has only started 3 games in the past 2 years and since I don't follow the Broncos I have no idea how good the player is (Ayers). The other 3 are off the team. In 2010 he had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and did good on 3 (Thomas, Decker,and Beadles). A better draft haul than Belichick has had for a while. I don't rate the Tebow pick as good. I like Tebow but using a first round pick on a qb who can't pass is not a wise use of resources. So is he really the reason the Broncos are winning now or is it quite frankly Peyton Manning making good players looking great like he has always done. Thomas was an average player at best before Manning arrived. So McDaniels had great talent but his team stunk before Fox arrived and I am supposed to believe he is a better coach than Fox. Like I said a 39% winning percentage on a team that was loaded on offense apparently.

The 39% winning percentage was with a blown up roster over a year and a half period. Everybody knows it takes longer than a year and a half to rebuild a team.

The Tebow pick was a good one whether you like it or not. Any player that just wins and more importantly, puts a team on his back and wins playoff games, is a good pick. Granted, it wasn't pretty but it worked. But then I guess you would rather draft a loser choke artist that throws a pretty ball.

As for who is better. Fox or McD, the jury is still out but MsD's Broncos have still won more playoff games than Fox's with supposedly less talent on McD's team. So far, I would say McD is the better head coach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

What has McDaniels really done to earn another HC job. He really bungled that last one badly. He may be another Norv Turner, great coordinator lousy head coach.

Didnt mcdaniels draft all the guys peyton is throwing too? Didn't he also acquire 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick to ship cutler( who sucks) and Marshall who was a head case at the time.

Didn't he also coordinate the 2007 patriot offense which broke most of the records, not too mention the amazing jobs he did with a truly talentless 2006 offense( would have been a super bowl win if our defense and the refs hadnt jobbed us in the afc chsmpionship game) and transforming matt cassel Into a nfl qb who went 11-5 and broke the all time patriot record with back to back 400 yard games.

Josh Mcdaniels is a good coach and a great young offensive mind.

I said he was a great coordinator but I stand by my "lousy head coach". He has a 39% winning percentage. He did not inherit a basement dweller. I don't care how many draft choices he accumulated. If you are saying he is a great GM I would point out the Tebow draft as a fiasco (though I like Tebow the person a lot). Head coaches need to win. Arguing that his team is winning now with "his" players means John Fox is a good coach, not McDaniels. Fine coordinator and lousy head coach. Hopefully if he becomes the Pats coach when Belichick retires he does a better job.

Shows what you know about the situation Josh took over in Denver. The owner decided to go in a different direction when he hired Josh and signed up for a total rebuild. You should really read up on this stuff before you pontificate about something. 

Josh got run out of Denver for the same reasons BB got run out of Cleveland. They both made a lot of good descisions that were very unpopular with the fan base and the owner caved in to the fans.

You talk about the Tebow fiasco, but the funny thing is, Tebow has still won more playoff games for Denver than Manning has and it wouldn't surprise me much if that is still the case next year.

I repeat, a 39% winning percentage and he got caught in a second spy gate and lied about it. I love him as a coordinator but he was terrible as a head coach there. Tebow won after he left. Fox coached that team. McDaniels was stinking up in St Loius when that happened. The Broncos were 8-8 the season before McDaniels arrived. Shanahan was fired because of his refusal to fire his defensive coordinator not because of his offense which was one of the best in the league.

Since his draft record is being touted as great I decided to look it up. In 2009 he had 5 picks in the first 2 rounds they are playing 2 of these guys now. One of whom is very good (Moreno) and the other one who apparently is a back up who has only started 3 games in the past 2 years and since I don't follow the Broncos I have no idea how good the player is (Ayers). The other 3 are off the team. In 2010 he had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and did good on 3 (Thomas, Decker,and Beadles). A better draft haul than Belichick has had for a while. I don't rate the Tebow pick as good. I like Tebow but using a first round pick on a qb who can't pass is not a wise use of resources. So is he really the reason the Broncos are winning now or is it quite frankly Peyton Manning making good players looking great like he has always done. Thomas was an average player at best before Manning arrived. So McDaniels had great talent but his team stunk before Fox arrived and I am supposed to believe he is a better coach than Fox. Like I said a 39% winning percentage on a team that was loaded on offense apparently.

The 39% winning percentage was with a blown up roster over a year and a half period. Everybody knows it takes longer than a year and a half to rebuild a team.

The Tebow pick was a good one whether you like it or not. Any player that just wins and more importantly, puts a team on his back and wins playoff games, is a good pick. Granted, it wasn't pretty but it worked. But then I guess you would rather draft a loser choke artist that throws a pretty ball.

As for who is better. Fox or McD, the jury is still out but MsD's Broncos have still won more playoff games than Fox's with supposedly less talent on McD's team. So far, I would say McD is the better head coach.

I'm not sure you know what seasons McDaniels coached in Denver. He never had a winning season and he never went to the playoffs. McDaniels won zero playoff games while Fox has won 1 in Denver. Denver under Fox has yet to miss the playoffs and are the one seed for the second straight year. With McDaniels gone the Broncos started winning right away. Belichick won in his second year in NE. Carroll has gone to the playoffs in 3 of his first 4 years in Seattle. Harbaugh has yet to miss the playoffs in San Francisco. Fox also won in Carolina, sorry a 39% winning percentage and getting run out of town in under 2 years does not impress me. What's Fox's record there? He was 22-13 before the start of this season. I know at least 1 Denver loss this year goes against Del Rio, maybe even 2.  McDaniels stunk as a head coach and comparing him to Belichick in Cleveland is silly. Cleveland actually won a playoff game under Belichick and they had a decent team there. It fell apart because of Modell's desire to leave for Baltimore. Hopefully McDaniels learned something and he is better next time because Belichick obviosly learned something during his first go around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If McDaniels is hired there and the team decides not to use the Browns top 5 pick on a QB and instead make a trade for McD's guy Ryan Mallett... I'd take a 3rd and a 5th for him... then I am all for his moving on to a HC job.

Josh Gordon would definitely love it.

Can you imagine the Browns, who D we already know is pretty solid, getting an offensive mind like Daniels to coach, drafting WR Sammy Watkins in rd 1 to pair with LB'er or O-lineman. Their secondary and D-line are real good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would think the situation of OB to the lions or Texans is a done deal making Josh to the browns also pretty much a done deal. 

Daboll to step up into the OC role? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Is he gone yet?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I kind of laugh at those that down play how good Josh is as the OC. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I kinda laugh at those who think he's a great OC. Dude has been the reason we lost 4 close games. sometimes he tries to get too fancy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

I kinda laugh at those who think he's a great OC. Dude has been the reason we lost 4 close games. sometimes he tries to get too fancy

Also could be the reason why Pats won 12 close games. By my count this offense was out schemed in 2.5 games this year. The issues with rookie WR is well documented. Loss of 2 pro bowl TE's, loss of Vereen, keeping Ridley in game plans, Legarrett Blount for crying out loud! this offense went from inept to now winning games for the defense while losing Vollmer, Gronk, Dobson, Thompkins and seeing reduced roles for Amendola and Ridley. 

I would say masterful job by Josh

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

BB probably deserves the credit more than JMcD

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

We agree to disagree. 

Just curious, do you not like the plays he calls, or do you not like the end results of points on the board? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

We agree to disagree. 

Just curious, do you not like the plays he calls, or do you not like the end results of points on the board? 

McDaniels is very inconsistent on his play calling. I know the players have to execute the play, but it makes you wonder why he calls certain plays the way he does, especially when all you need for a 3rd and 2, is probably a power run to keep the drive alive.

We have prtty good talent on offense no doubt toget this far, but JMcD and even B'Ob are not that great sometimes at playcalling. 2007 might be an exception

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Just saying, 80-90% of the plays called are read options where Brady has the option to survey the defense and opt out of the play called, or go to another option within the play if he sees certain reads in the defense. 

I would have to say that on 3rd and 2, the decision on which option of a play, or to run the play at all is on Brady, with Josh and BB allowing him that leeway. 

Troy Brown has explained that BB will decide which match ups he wishes to take advantage of, Josh will devise a game plan around those matchups, but Brady is the final decision on what plays are actually run. 

Theoretically, if you didn't like a play call specifically, it is on Brady rather than Josh, based on what Brady saw from the defense. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Daboll to step up into the OC role? 

Do you guys think he has the chops  to do the job? His previous outings as OC were not impressive, although they might be limited by the players he had to work with.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

per ESPN/Boston:

The Cleveland Browns have asked permission to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels for their head coaching vacancy, sources tell ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon.

The Browns also have asked for permission to interview Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles; Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who can interview Jan. 5, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter; and Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, who also will interview.

Gase would prefer to wait until after the season before speaking with anyone, a source told Schefter.

Given his past relationship with Browns general manager Mike Lombardi, McDaniels, a native of Ohio, would figure to be a strong candidate. McDaniels had interest in bringing Lombardi to Denver when he was head coach of the Broncos.

McDaniels was 11-17 in two seasons with Denver.

Sections
Shortcuts