Josh McDaniels fired!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Josh McDaniels fired!

Adam Schefter AdamSchefter Bombshell RT @Denver_Broncos: Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen has relieved Josh McDaniels of his head coaching duties.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Josh McDaniels fired!

shalise manza young shalisemyoung lots of "I can't believe it!" reactions floating around the press box with news of McDaniels' firing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Chris Mortensen mortreport McDaniels' fired; timing does not surprise some in the NFL. A couple of execs expected it last week. check out Monday Night Coutndown @ 7

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

5. Chris Mortensen mortreport More than one NFL exec thought McDaniels was getting fired last week. The embarrassment of the Raiders game tilted; Mini `Spygate' pushed

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

It was deserved.  He vainly cut out on New England too early, not fulfilling his committment to the Pats upon which he was hired (same as Mangini did), took one bad step after another in Denver, acted like a fool in victories over the Pats last year and the Chiefs this year, alienated his players, and he made a good team bad.  It would be a crime if he got another H.C. position directly following this.  He needs to take a step back, learn a lot more, and even then he may not be H.C. material. It worked for BB.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Wow. Surprised by the firing but not by their results.  He got rid of alot of talent Cutler, Marshall, etc. So where they were then to where they are now is not a shock.  But to me it's almost like not giving a college coach enough time to field his own recruits.

Perhaps the handshake thing with KC followed by the filming thing was the last straw....

Even though he left here on good terms, I don't think he'll be back.  Would be a slap to O'Brien.  Many folks probably say "so what" ....but that's not reality....they are 9-2.  O'Brien deserves some of the credit ....don't you think?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Adam Schefter AdamSchefter Broncos paying three head coaches in 2011 -- Mike Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, and the new HC. McDaniels and new HC to be paid in 2012.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Does BB bring him back?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In Response to Re: Josh McDaniels fired!:
    AdamSchefter    Broncos paying three head coaches in 2011 -- Mike Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, and the new HC. McDaniels and new HC to be paid in 2012.
    Posted by Rocky

Hey, Rock, it sounds like Theo and Shortshops!  Seriously, I hope BB brings the guy back as OCoordinator for the Pats next year.  Brady thoght well of his work, and I don't think that O'Brien has been as good as Josh was in the job.  What say you all?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

he might the new top candidate for Miami's other pro team - the Hurricanes

• You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

cut out on NE too early???????  That's like saying college kids should stay in school as opposed to taking millions of dollars the NBA offers them.  Who turns down the opportunity to take the next step?

Broncos fire Josh McDaniels
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/storyid=5892528&campaign=rss&source=BOSTONHeadlines&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Denver Broncos have fired coach Josh McDaniels, who went 5-17 after winning his first six games last year.

Team spokesman Patrick Smyth told The Associated Press: "We can confirm that coach Josh McDaniels has been relieved of his head coaching duties."

The team did not immediately name an interim coach.

McDaniels, 34, made a series of personnel blunders, notably trading away Peyton Hillis, who has become a power running back in Cleveland, and he also was fined $50,000 by the NFL for failing to report a subordinate who violated league rules by videotaping a San Francisco 49ers practice in London on Oct. 30.

McDaniels also dealt away Pro Bowlers Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall in separate deals in successive offseasons.

The firing came down after the Broncos players had dispersed for the day.

Earlier Monday, McDaniels said he was reticent to turn to rookie Tim Tebow even though the Broncos (3-9) had been eliminated from the playoff race Sunday with their seventh loss in eight games.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen seemed to waffle last week when asked about McDaniels' job status in the wake of the video scandal.

Bowlen originally told AOL Fanhouse that McDaniels was safe as head coach and that he was "not interested in making a coaching change." However, Bowlen released a statement hours later that seemed to back off that idea.

Bowlen's statement said that while the season has been a trying and disappointing one, "Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the Broncos, and you always strive for stability at that position."

He added that with five games left, "we will continue to monitor the progress of the team and evaluate what's in the best interest of this franchise."

McDaniels is the third coach fired this season, joining Wade Phillips and Brad Childress. He has two years and nearly $7 million left on his contract, and Bowlen is still on the hook for millions more he owes Mike Shanahan, whom he fired last year.

McDaniels came to the Broncos in 2009 after spending two seasons as the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator, having been promoted from quarterbacks coach in 2006 to make him the youngest coordinator in the league at the time.

Information from ESPN.com's John Clayton and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

I lost so much respect for McDaniels when he danced around like an a** clown and rubbed in in the Patriots face when they beat the Pats last year. Hey Josh here's a saying to live by  "act as if".I disliked Josh ever since that game!!!

Thoughts on McDaniels' firing

By Mike Reiss
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The Broncos announced tonight that Josh McDaniels has been relieved of his head coaching duties. With McDaniels' ties to the Patriots, here are a few thoughts on this development:

I feel as if McDaniels' undoing in Denver is as much about personnel as coaching, as well as the failure to surround himself with more coaches who had been in the Bill Belichick system and understood the demands of the program.

As McDaniels proved when the Broncos opened the 2009 season 6-0, he is not only a solid offensive coach but also capable of being a head coach.

But he made his own job harder over time with too many poor personnel decisions, some of which were made on emotion (e.g. trading a 2010 first-round draft choice to draft CB Alphonso Smith in the 2009 second round). The talent on the Broncos' roster got worse in his tenure, not better. He needed an experienced personnel man to handle that side of things for him -- someone who had worked in the Belichick system and understood the type of player McDaniels was seeking -- so he could focus on the coaching aspect of the job.

I also sensed that he didn't surround himself with enough people who had been in the Belichick program; McDaniels could drive a hard bargain with his coaches and someone who hasn't worked in that environment can have a tough adjustment with that style. I think that is reflected in how news of McDaniels' closed-door meeting with coaches about the Broncos' taping incident became public. Someone turned on McDaniels.

I feel strongly about McDaniels' abilities as a coach, to the point that I think he could be Bill Belichick's successor in New England when that time comes. Along those lines, I don't think there has been any permanent harm in the McDaniels/Belichick relationship from this year's videotaping incident.

It will be easy to look at McDaniels' tenure in Denver and say the job was too big for him. It's hard to argue against that thought. But I see McDaniels back on the sidelines next year -- a 1996-type Bill Belichick top assistant position could fit, possibly in New England -- while working his way back toward another chance to be a head coach.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

cut out on NE too early???????  That's like saying college kids should stay in school as opposed to taking millions of dollars the NBA offers them.  Who turns down the opportunity to take the next step?
    Posted by UD6

For once I agree with you Underdoggggg - no one would have turned down that opportunity

I don't know what the rules are or if would void his contract with the Broncos, but Belicheck should bring him back in - he is a really good OC

• You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

No surprised.  I said he needed to bake in the oven a little longer.  He just seemed to be the second coming of Cam Cameron.

That said, I think Mike Reiss nailed it best.  The Broncos needed to put an experienced personnel man in place to make the personnel decisions.  He was probably fired as much for his poor personnel decisions as anything else. 

Adam Schefter AdamSchefter Broncos interim coach will be RB coach Eric Studesville..

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

Wow, keep posting a million fuc*ing links, moron.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

I'm doin the fist pump to that!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from oldflapatsfan. Show oldflapatsfan's posts

AdamSchefter    Broncos interim coach will be RB coach Eric Studesville..
    Posted by Rocky

Thanks Adam, always enjoyed your reporting, great work. Can you share any info of his credentials and can he right the ship in Bronco Harbor?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Not surprised, he really isn't ready to be a head coach in the NFL. He was hardly an offensive coordinator for a year or so. They should really fire who ever decided to traded peyton hillis for kyle orton.

Adam Schefter AdamSchefter Two candidates to watch in Denver: Vikings HC Leslie Frazier, whose contract is up first week in January, and Air Force HC Troy Calhoun.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

You must be devastated that your home town team is 3-9 Rocky. Sorry about that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Posted by UD6

Beyond their comprehension. Hate prevails.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

There wasn't a GM making personnel decisions?  Why would the Broncos have a coach that young also serve as GM?  

• Sections
    Shortcuts