josh turning NE offense into football version of DICE-K

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Re: josh turning NE offense into football version of DICE-K

Danny Woodhead up the middle on third and short is insane.  That's Ridley's job.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Norger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Danny Woodhead up the middle on third and short is insane.  That's Ridley's job.

[/QUOTE]

Depends--if they've spread the defense, it actually can work well.  Woodhead is not a power back, but they don't usually use him that way either.  However, every once in a while they might to do the unpredictable.  In a way, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't with our fans.  Do something unconventional and you'll be criticized for not doing the "right" thing in the situation.  Do something conventional and you'll be criticized for being predictable.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Most of the substitutions NE makes are attempts at getting the other team caught in a mismatch. It's usually tremendously effective, hence sexy Rexy whinging to the refs before the game that his team should be given a chance to 'match' substitutions. 

NE doesn't sub for the sake of it. 

The other reason is that they like fresh legs on their running backs. 

The third reason is situationally defined ... i.e., when you need to score quickly ... you aren't in a power formation, and when you are trying deliberately to eat clock, you aren't spread out. 

As far as Ridley being on/off the field ... stop fumbling. His problems coming in were his ability to handle the ball in space, and a case of fumbling he had in Baton Rouge. It's carried over to a degree. 

Hopefully .... Vereen keeps developing because last week he flashed the ability to be the 'all around' guy that could relegate the rest of the backs to situational runners. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Reason 1 is exactly my point...  Chasing mismatches doesn't mean your play will work.  Plus there is a trade- off with the subbing causing lapses in execution. 

fixating on sub packages also can affect play selection where you're limiting your plays according to the group in there .

Expand the playbook and attack the whole field with your best eleven players.  Situational subs fine ,  but this over subbing seems like over thinking when 1st down presents 5 or 10 different  personnel options....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I posted last week about a gameplan focusing on throwing to back out of the backfield .  1st play... Bang completion to vereen 10 yards.  Then not so much until  tying drive... Bang completion to woodhead 20 yards and again to set up FG.

isolating backs on lb in open space always seems like a win to me.  Especially quick guys like woody and vereen.  Just scratching the surface with this guy so far.  Could he turn into a Thurman Thomas or at least a Kevin faulk...? 

[/QUOTE]

I saw Thurman Thomas play once in Miami. He could make cuts in traffic. I was amazed at how well he could see the field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to JohnTAlouette's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I posted last week about a gameplan focusing on throwing to back out of the backfield .  1st play... Bang completion to vereen 10 yards.  Then not so much until  tying drive... Bang completion to woodhead 20 yards and again to set up FG.

isolating backs on lb in open space always seems like a win to me.  Especially quick guys like woody and vereen.  Just scratching the surface with this guy so far.  Could he turn into a Thurman Thomas or at least a Kevin faulk...? 

[/QUOTE]

I saw Thurman Thomas play once in Miami. He could make cuts in traffic. I was amazed at how well he could see the field.

[/QUOTE

cool ... He was the reason  that offense worked so well... The ultimate  dual threat back.  Would have been SB MVP except for Scott Norwood .

Sections
Shortcuts