Julian Edelman is the only WR I would keep.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Julian Edelman is the only WR I would keep.

Bb has some tough decisions to make this offseason, about who to resign, let walk, restructure...I don't think the rookie wr's are going anywhere. Dobson looked good, thompkins good for what he will be (#3-4), and Boyce showed some potential With his athleticism and Edelman like open field ability. bb can't cut amendola given his contract and the only receiver he has to resign is Edelman who I think should be done, but bb may have another plan Given the amount of money required to do so. 

when I think of our WR corps, the only guy that stands out to me who potentially has #1 WR written on him is Dobson. I know folks will say what about edelmans incredible year? Yes, he had his best ever...however, 75% of WR production going through Edelman is not the solution. Edelman to me is a complimentary piece. He should be a 3rd option with Dobson and Gronk on the field....of course depending on situation. 

pThe question for me are

can dobson be a #1?

can Gronk give us anything next year?

given we gave Danny a good contract, can we afford Edelman too? Their skill set is similar, can we afford to have both? Do we need both?

can Boyce be a dangerous slot receiver with PR ability too? ...might answer the question on Edelman...

at the least, I think we need another pass catching threat at TE. Best case, Gronk and this player play together. If Gronk can't go or gets hurt again, we have insurance.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezneffix. Show rezneffix's posts

Julian Edelman is a fighter. He has done really well and was very clutch in games that were otherwise not winnable. I think he should be the first priority as far as keeping someone long term.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I see some one here used Brian Hartline as an example of why Edelman will resign with the Pats. Not a good comp.

Hartline. 5 years/$30.7. $12.5M guaranteed

Amendola. 5 years/$28. $10M guaranteed plus $500k roster bonus if he is on the roster each year

****Edelman. 5 years/$25. $10M guaranteed plus roster and game bonuses

****prediction

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

They don't necessarily need a top talent WR.

They need health. I would say they need a top TE more than a new top WR, especially given Gronks health and NOW knowing Hernandez is gone. But if they can't get the upgrade where they need it then they may have to look to WR by default.

How many superbowls did we win with Moss?

How many superbowls does calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Justin Blackmon, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Demarius Thomas and Michael Crabtree have, so far?

Any of those WR's win one in their rookie year?

I know the response will be but they are not playing with TB, whatever....

For me that will be the most interesting thing about the superbowl.

When Brady had the best offense in NFL history they did absolutely squat in the superbowl against a good physical defense. 14 points.

Will that be Mannings fate? Best offense in NFL history. Will he too only manage 14 points against a good physical defense?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I would fully expect the rookies to be better next season. And we need them to as we need their rookie money contracts to pan out as good values.

Amendola will be back next season, he's worthy of a second year. Sometimes a groin injury takes a full year to heal. Now if he's more of the same next year then he's going to then wear the bad deal label.

I love Endelman.....but not enough to pay him top WR $. I think we find another Endelman and put the money to the D.

We need at least 5 starters on D so the draft and FA needs to be a home run this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would fully expect the rookies to be better next season. And we need them to as we need their rookie money contracts to pan out as good values.

Amendola will be back next season, he's worthy of a second year. Sometimes a groin injury takes a full year to heal. Now if he's more of the same next year then he's going to then wear the bad deal label.

I love Endelman.....but not enough to pay him top WR $. I think we find another Endelman and put the money to the D.

We need at least 5 starters on D so the draft and FA needs to be a home run this year.

[/QUOTE]

what?

need at least 5 starters on defense?

Nink, Kelly, Armstead, Vince **, Jones-All under contract

Hightower, Mayo, Collins-All under contract

Dennerd, Gregory, McCourty, Harmon, Ryan, Arrington-all under contract

resign Talib. Re negotiate Vince. Draft a DT in one of the first three rounds. Sign Fletcher.

That is a top 10 defense if healthy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It's amazing the kind of interesting threads you see on this board right now.  Some actually make sense.  Many of the posters contributing to this thread apparently have some sense of how things work.  The self-proclaimed 'football expert' however apparently does not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what?

resign Talib. Re negotiate Vince. Draft a DT in one of the first three rounds. Sign Fletcher.

[/QUOTE]

Let's count

1. FS

2. SS

3. DB

4. DE

5. ILB

6. DT

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Dobson can stay healthy he would be a very good receiver. I feel like Collie, Boyce, Amendola, and Edleman are all cut from the same cloth. They are not real down field receivers. I would try to add another reciever to go down field in addition to what they are already bringing back. Also another TE would could catch and play a little HBack would be nice. 

[/QUOTE]

Boyce is a downfield WR, he's the fastest, strongest and most athletic of the group. I do agree though. Collie, Edelman, Amendola and TJ Moe are all the same type of WRs, but Collie, Amendola and Edelman can't be trusted to stay healthy anyway. Might as well keep them all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

what?

Let's count

Let's talk detail

1. FS I don't believe Gregory or McCourty are SB worthy safeties. Safeties need to be able to step up in the box and be bangers or drop back and help DBs. very tough position. I still believe McCourty should give DB one more try.

2. SS See above

3. DB Talib is a gonner, Dennard will be suspended 2-4 games

4. DE Are we ever going to get Jones some real help here?

5. OLB Hightower aint it and Nink tries hard....time for a young guy (this is right OLB)

6. DT Wilfork and Kelly are now long in the tooth....time to stock up on the beef.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dobson and Edelman, if they stay healthy and have Gronk with them, will be a serviceable 1-2 next season.

No need to blow something up when they've shown signs of being potential successful with time. What the Pats need is another TE, nt new WRs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If Dobson can stay healthy he would be a very good receiver. I feel like Collie, Boyce, Amendola, and Edleman are all cut from the same cloth. They are not real down field receivers. I would try to add another reciever to go down field in addition to what they are already bringing back. Also another TE would could catch and play a little HBack would be nice. 

[/QUOTE]

Boyce is a downfield WR, he's the fastest, strongest and most athletic of the group. I do agree though. Collie, Edelman, Amendola and TJ Moe are all the same type of WRs, but Collie, Amendola and Edelman can't be trusted to stay healthy anyway. Might as well keep them all.

[/QUOTE]

He is a little small for a typical down field threat. He is 5'11" and Dobson is 6'3".

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I say the Pats should keep Edelman and cut they rest.  Amendola is beyond useless and the biggest waste of cap space I have ever seen.  The rookies have shown next to nothing.   

They should draft another WR in the 1st or 2nd and sign or trade for a real WR.  Nicks and Boldin are two that come to mind.  I don't pretent to think the Pats will pony up for Decker.

[/QUOTE]

Typical idiot bandwagon fan post. Every player should be pro bowl quality and we should sign evry big name free agent out there. Never mind that there's a salary cap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what?

[/QUOTE]

Strange to see such a rational post from you.

The team is essentially built with some key decisions at WR, CB and C/G, moving forward.

Vince needs to take something down, Mankins too.

[/QUOTE]

Again..too many assumptions..

Armstead??? really

Kelly, he looked OK at best prior to his injury

Wilfork, on the wrong side of the curve.

Talib is gone

Gregory and McCourty are not getting you a 4th ring. Our middle is softer than my gut.

Dennard is going to be suspended...

In a passing league if you can't rush the passer that dog ain't ever gonna hunt.

Arrington.....oh dear.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is a little small for a typical down field threat. He is 5'11" and Dobson is 6'3".

[/QUOTE]

Victor Cruz is only 6'0, Pierre Garcon is 6'0...

Size is useful for jumpballs, but a 6'0 WR is effective enough.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I say the Pats should keep Edelman and cut they rest.  Amendola is beyond useless and the biggest waste of cap space I have ever seen.  The rookies have shown next to nothing.   

They should draft another WR in the 1st or 2nd and sign or trade for a real WR.  Nicks and Boldin are two that come to mind.  I don't pretent to think the Pats will pony up for Decker.

[/QUOTE]

true words but can we afford MORE dead money?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what?

[/QUOTE]

The team is essentially built with some key decisions at WR, CB and C/G, moving forward.

[/QUOTE]

Armstead??? really

Talib is gone

Gregory and McCourty are not getting you a 4th ring. Our middle is softer than my gut.

In a passing league if you can't rush the passer that dog ain't ever gonna hunt.

[/QUOTE]

1.) Don't know why you're bashing Armstead...

2.) Kelly looked more than okay, he looked great.

3.) Yes, that's why you don't give him a big contract or any guaranteed money.

4.) We'll see.

5.) McCourty is a FS, not a SS. Not his job to bring the boom, Harmon brings it.

6.) Nope, Dennard's crime came before he was in the NFL. Can't suspend him for that.

7.) Jones and even Nink-o-Dink are fine, the interior rushers are the ones that need to step their game up.

8.) Arrington is, and always has been, a joke.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Armstead??? really

Talib is gone

[/QUOTE]

1.) Don't know why you're bashing Armstead...

2.) Kelly looked more than okay, he looked great.

3.) Yes, that's why you don't give him a big contract or any guaranteed money.

4.) We'll see.

5.) McCourty is a FS, not a SS. Not his job to bring the boom, Harmon brings it.

6.) Nope, Dennard's crime came before he was in the NFL. Can't suspend him for that.

7.) Jones and even Nink-o-Dink are fine, the interior rushers are the ones that need to step their game up.

8.) Arrington is, and always has been, a joke.

[/QUOTE]

Not bashing Armstead but people are trying him for the yellow jacket and he's never played in the NFL///......

Sections
Shortcuts