Julian Edelman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Julian Edelman

This guy gonna make the team?  Getting lots of mention in Reiss columns, including today running route trees with Moss and Brady after practice.  Interesting player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

Re: Julian Edelman

I'm not sure, everyone was buzzing about Redd before he got cut too so you never know with these things.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

He's a lock. Count on it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Reiss never "buzzed" about Redd. People here confused the fact that he was promoted due to injury from the practice squad with a show of progress or promise and jumped on. The pats were so injured last season they brought back Colvin, who was washed. Redd just didn't have it.

It is rare to see Reiss up on a player this much.

I assume Edelman will be Welker type player, so I want to see the 4 wide set ups with two deep threats in Moss and Galloway outside and two short possession guys underneath.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

He is listed as the 4th wr by reiss in the pats depth chart. Am anxious to see him play in the preseason game on thurs. Can't wait!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The thread next year:  How Could Julian Edelman Have Slipped to the Seventh Round?

1.  He's going to bust one kickoff return.  Way too mobile, a chipmunk among turtles.

2.  They'll take Welker out for a series and put Edelman in.  Not much dropoff.  Then BB will put both Welker and Edelman in together for those heavyset linebacker defenses.  No big fat slow-reaction linebacker can keep up with either one.

3.  Around November Edelman pulls off a gimmick touchdown, probably an end-around where he pulls up and hits Randy Moss 40 yards downfield.  He's a slash.

4.  Edelman runs the Wildcat for the scout team.  He's so good that BB tries two Wildcats a game.  Edelman averages 5 yards a run. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Julian Edelman:
    The thread next year:  How Could Julian Edelman Have Slipped to the Seventh Round? 1.  He's going to bust one kickoff return.  Way too mobile, a chipmunk among turtles. 2.  They'll take Welker out for a series and put Edelman in.  Not much dropoff.  Then BB will put both Welker and Edelman in together for those heavyset linebacker defenses.  No big fat slow-reaction linebacker can keep up with either one. 3.  Around November Edelman pulls off a gimmick touchdown, probably an end-around where he pulls up and hits Randy Moss 40 yards downfield.  He's a slash. 4.  Edelman runs the Wildcat for the scout team.  He's so good that BB tries two Wildcats a game.  Edelman averages 5 yards a run. 
    Posted by Paul_K
    I can actually see these things happening!Hell if the Patriots decide not to keep Walter,they will still have 3 QB's on the roster because thats Edelman's college position.He's already in BB's thoughts so that can't hurt his chances.The fact that he is willing to switch his natural position and he's willing too play on the Special Teams as a gunner or returner says a lot.I write Mike Reiss all the time and his two favorite draft choices are Edelman and Vollmer,they have out performed the other guys up until now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scozach. Show scozach's posts

I was at the training camp practice on Sunday and Edelman was around Brady, Moss and Welker alot.  He definitely has some quickness.  Even though I know it was just practice he showed alot of speed on kick returns.   I think he can make the team, however lets see how he does in the preseason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

The thread next year:  How Could Julian Edelman Have Slipped to the Seventh Round? 1.  He's going to bust one kickoff return.  Way too mobile, a chipmunk among turtles. 2.  They'll take Welker out for a series and put Edelman in.  Not much dropoff.  Then BB will put both Welker and Edelman in together for those heavyset linebacker defenses.  No big fat slow-reaction linebacker can keep up with either one. 3.  Around November Edelman pulls off a gimmick touchdown, probably an end-around where he pulls up and hits Randy Moss 40 yards downfield.  He's a slash. 4.  Edelman runs the Wildcat for the scout team.  He's so good that BB tries two Wildcats a game.  Edelman averages 5 yards a run. 
    Posted by Paul_K

No way does Edelman run two wildcats a game let alone throw a pass once this season so long as No. 12 is healthy.  Only one player throws the ball on this team and that is Tom Brady. 

Let's hope this chipmunk doesn't get squashed by some 300lb tortoise.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

In Response to Re: Julian Edelman : No way does Edelman run two wildcats a game let alone throw a pass once this season so long as No. 12 is healthy.  Only one player throws the ball on this team and that is Tom Brady.  Let's hope this chipmunk doesn't get squashed by some 300lb tortoise.
    Posted by themightypatriots

I don't think well do any version of the wildcat, but don't count out trick plays...remember the trick play in '07 & remember David Patten's pass, catch & run TDs?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Let's hope this chipmunk doesn't get squashed by some 300lb tortoise.
    Posted by themightypatriots

That's his weakness, durability.  He's such a tiny guy.  However, until then he's fun to watch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from khyzak81. Show khyzak81's posts

You guys are all nuts.  Reiss is nuts.  Come on, Reiss makes mistakes.  He's a writer, not a football guy.  He thought Fernando Bryant was the second coming of Ty Law . . . and he got cut before the season started.  He was high on Vince Redd.  Redd got cut.  I like Reiss' column/posts, but COME ON . . . the dude, Julian, hasn't even played a game yet.  It's obvious Reiss has a man-crush on him (like Michael Holley with Ellis Hobbs).  Have you guys even SEEN Edelman play?!  Been to a practice?  He's ok.  I wasn't wowed.  I thought Nunn was INCREDIBLE though . . . and Reiss had him almost last on the list.  So, don't get carried away here.  I agree that Edelman could be a Welker back-up, maybe, someday.  But I really think that Galloway and Lewis are going to be the 3 and 4 because they bring something DIFFERENT to the offense.  I think Edelman ends up on the practice squad.  Let's see how he does in the game tonight though . . . can't effin' wait (FINALLY!!! FOOTBALL!!).  Good discussion . . .

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

It seems like from what most are saying who have seen him that they tend to think this kid ends up being a steal. Seems right out of the Welker/T.Brown mold. Smart, quick, good hands and of course undersized. I'd like to think he ends up contributing a fraction as much as those guys have, but I will of course reserve judgment until I've seen him play. Can't wait for tonight!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

You guys are all nuts.  Reiss is nuts.  Come on, Reiss makes mistakes.  He's a writer, not a football guy.  He thought Fernando Bryant was the second coming of Ty Law . . . and he got cut before the season started.  He was high on Vince Redd.  Redd got cut.  I like Reiss' column/posts, but COME ON . . . the dude, Julian, hasn't even played a game yet.  It's obvious Reiss has a man-crush on him (like Michael Holley with Ellis Hobbs).  Have you guys even SEEN Edelman play?!  Been to a practice?  He's ok.  I wasn't wowed.  I thought Nunn was INCREDIBLE though . . . and Reiss had him almost last on the list.  So, don't get carried away here.  I agree that Edelman could be a Welker back-up, maybe, someday.  But I really think that Galloway and Lewis are going to be the 3 and 4 because they bring something DIFFERENT to the offense.  I think Edelman ends up on the practice squad.  Let's see how he does in the game tonight though . . . can't effin' wait (FINALLY!!! FOOTBALL!!).  Good discussion . . .
    Posted by khyzak81

If you were really at practice, you would have seen him line up with the 3 and 4 wide, work on special teams AND punt return. In other words, he is everywhere. Which is to say BB is high on his versatility, or oh maybe he just has a man-crush...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I hope Edelman does well.  It's nice to hear success stories.  I agree with khyzak81 about Reiss.  He's one of my favorite writers and I can't thank him enough for giving us something to read all year round, not just in the season.  His assessments however, leave something to be desired.  To be fair, I don't think he ever proclaimed to be an expert either. 

I also read the blog posts on Pats Football Weekly.  They have a few guys covering the team's practices.  Early on they said Edelman was off to a rough start.  They expected that much though.  The guy was learning a new position.  Their reports have been mostly positive lately, but nothing outstanding.

PWF's reporters all all crazy about Nunn however.  Here is one of their posts.  Most every practice blog has some mention of Nunn.

Terrence Nunn

ProvMan compared him to Bam Childress. My response … I knew Bam Childress. Bam Childress was a fun player to watch while he was here. But Bam Childress is no Terrence Nunn. This guy’s the real deal. Childress made some nice catches here and there. Nunn makes spectacular catches every day, in all different ways. He’s far better and a bit faster than Childress ever was as a receiver. And Nunn has the chops. He’s Nebraska’s second-leading receiver in catches and yards, all-time. Yes, I realize the Huskers were a running team for decades, but still, those are excellent credentials. Besides, he catches EVERYTHING and he’s not afraid to do so while getting hit. If the 53-man had to be picked today, Nunn would be on it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

It seems like from what most are saying who have seen him that they tend to think this kid ends up being a steal. Seems right out of the Welker/T.Brown mold. Smart, quick, good hands and of course undersized. I'd like to think he ends up contributing a fraction as much as those guys have, but I will of course reserve judgment until I've seen him play. Can't wait for tonight!!!
    Posted by ush

Off topic, what location is the picture in your Avatar?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

I hope Edelman does well.  It's nice to hear success stories.  I agree with khyzak81 about Reiss.  He's one of my favorite writers and I can't thank him enough for giving us something to read all year round, not just in the season.  His assessments however, leave something to be desired.  To be fair, I don't think he ever proclaimed to be an expert either.  I also read the blog posts on Pats Football Weekly.  They have a few guys covering the team's practices.  Early on they said Edelman was off to a rough start.  They expected that much though.  The guy was learning a new position.  Their reports have been mostly positive lately, but nothing outstanding. PWF's reporters all all crazy about Nunn however.  Here is one of their posts.  Most every practice blog has some mention of Nunn. Terrence Nunn ProvMan compared him to Bam Childress. My response … I knew Bam Childress. Bam Childress was a fun player to watch while he was here. But Bam Childress is no Terrence Nunn. This guy’s the real deal. Childress made some nice catches here and there. Nunn makes spectacular catches every day, in all different ways. He’s far better and a bit faster than Childress ever was as a receiver. And Nunn has the chops. He’s Nebraska’s second-leading receiver in catches and yards, all-time. Yes, I realize the Huskers were a running team for decades, but still, those are excellent credentials. Besides, he catches EVERYTHING and he’s not afraid to do so while getting hit. If the 53-man had to be picked today, Nunn would be on it.
    Posted by carawaydj

Not only that but I saw him get a nasty hit from Chung. He spun in the air and stil hung onto the ball as he came down. My next move was to put a check next to his name as someone who is a roster lock. He has also worked out of punt return which only solidifies his chances.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

If they're working him like Welker, and he's doing punt returns with Welker, then there's really only one rational answer: they are turning him into Welker.

What's better than one Welker? Two Welkers. They'll be interchangeable, be able to spell each other, and be fresh the whole game. You really think a defense can keep up with the speed, quickness, and hands of Welker for 4 full quarters? It opens up so many other opportunities on the field.

If you look, from an offensive and defensive standpoint who our "standout" players are, you'll see a theme for the players we took in for this season:

Moss: Galloway/Lewis
    Welker: Edelman
    Brady: Walter
    Wilfork: Brace
    Light/Kaczur: Vollmer
    Seymour: Burgess
    A.Thomas/Bruschi/Mayo: McKenzie, Banta-Cain
    Maroney: Taylor
    Meriweather: Chung
    Watson/D.Thomas: Baker, Smith

The theme is: what do we do when our key players go down, or we rely on them so much they burn out? I'm not saying any of these people are the ultimate replacement, but it gives us depth at positions we have great players at. But not only can they step in if the player gets hurt, but they give us more opportunities to do different things with the extra skillset they provide.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RobertBro. Show RobertBro's posts

Hmmm, so you're saying that the new guys they brought in this year were quarterbacks, running backs, deep receivers, slot receivers, tight ends, offensive tackles, offensive guard/centers, defensive ends, nose tackles, outside linebackers, inside linebackers, cornerbacks, safeties and long snappers?  Yes, I see the pattern:  they didn't bring in any kickers!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cool-hand-luke. Show cool-hand-luke's posts

EDELMAN!!!!!

punt return touchdown!

I like this guy.

Sections
Shortcuts