Julius Peppers discussion..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Julius Peppers discussion..

Before you guys throw me out for another JP discussion, hear me out. According to this article http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8161ae23&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
    JP does not expect to return to the Panthers and he is going to field offers from any of the 31 teams. He really wants to play as an OLB in 3-4, which means a handful of teams would make the cut. We can rule out teams like Steelers and Cowboys, who already have a great LB corp. Saying this, do you think we have a chance to sign him? I know we have to take care of several contracts including Wilfork's, but a pass rusher like JP does not hit the free agency very often. Since he is an UFA, we don't have to give up any draft picks to sign him. I think if he agrees to a contract for about 10 mil/year, it's worth a shot. He is going to be a high risk/high reward type of player. If we do sign him, we are going to see either a 15 sack season, or a pathetic excuse for a OLB. I say sign him for a 2 yr, arnd 20 mil deal and see how he does. We need a pass rusher pronto and at some point, we have to throw the 'value' philosophy out of the room and take some real risks. That's what we did with Randy Moss and see how good he has done for us. Granted he signed a 3 mil contract, but my point is that this could be a great opportunity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Re: Julius Peppers discussion..

How do they not go after this guy? And if you remember last year he said there was 4 teams he wanted to play for- the cowboys and the pats were on his short list

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

How do we not sign him?  Sign him for $10mil a year?  Do you guys know football?  He is 29, would be changing position, and u want to devote 10 mil a year to him.  I am so glad the Madden generation on this board does not run this team. 
    SAY NO TO PEPPERS!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It would be so hypocritical of the Pats to sign Peppers as a FA on two fronts.  First, to the players and second to the fans.  They have so many of there own that they have not signed because, as Kraft has said, they want to know what they have to work with (a cap) before they offer any big contracts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

Guys you have te realize that this is a business.  The staff is going to do what is best for the team.  You think Wilfork will take a home town discount.  HELL NO!!!.  You do not have guys like Brady, who are willing to take a pay cut.  I think Peppers will fit great.  The staff will be crazy to not try and get Peppers.  Although Wilfork was a great fit in the middle. Wilfork did not have more than 2 sacks (if that).  We still could not get pressure on the QB.  You can stick almost any big body in the middle to get a double team.  I am not against Wilfork be signed a nice contract, but , come on.  Who do you think will be better than Peppers?  I say sign both of them.   SPEND SOME MONEY PATRIOTS!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@mississippi....wilforks job is not designed to get sacks, its designed to stop the run.

As far as Peppers...as good as he was at the end of the season this year, I would have to pass.  He hasnt played like that in a long time so it would definately be a high risk to sign that guy especially for the amount of money he is going to demand.  I would rather find a guy in the draft. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

He's about to turn 30, has never played OLB so it is a project what's going to be an expensive one at 8 to 10 mil a year.

This is not a good idea, if you want a project draft one that is young, faster, bigger and cheaper.  A rookie OLB has more experience than Peppers does at the position. 

No thanks, use that money to resign VW which won't happen so use it on Karlos Damsby or Vincent Jackson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

@patsfan, well we did not stop the run that well either.  I will like to see both of them, if possible.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I said it before I'll say it again Demarcus Ware was the prize and the cowpokes signed him. Peppers probably won`t happen. Or has as much a chance of happening as Pace or Bolden at this point in time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I'm with mordecai. I believe he turned 30 last month he made $16.7 mil last year. Why would he sign with us for $10 mil? The last I knew he was looking for $20 million.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that he's the type of guy who would start jaking it as soon as his signing bonus check cleared Mr. Kraft's checking account.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

I may not completely understand the salary cap, but if the Pat's sign JP at $10-$20M/year, who gets cut?  There just isn't enough room under the cap to sign every free agent out there.  From what I have read, the Pat's spend very near the cap every year.  So, in order to sign big dollar F.A.'s, someone else will need to go.  Now if the Pat's spend only to the salary floor, I could understand how people could feel Kraft is cheap.

I look back at last year when the Pat's franchised Cassel, took them right to the cap so they could not sign any free agents until they moved him and his cap number.

Even though 2010 is uncapped, the Pat's will still need to set themselves up for future capped years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from djkg. Show djkg's posts

why is it so assumed that he would play OLB? Last I checked we have 1 sure thing as a starter at defensive end. That trade of Seymour for the #1 pick would look a whole lot better if we got Peppers to fill that position because Peppers is the better player PRESENTLY. Although we HAVE to keep Vince. Probably not realistic budget wise to have both.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

If you read the article it says "Peppers, who grew up in Bailey, N.C., and played in college at North Carolina, said last offseason that he wanted to leave his home state and play as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from djkg. Show djkg's posts

I actually did read the article and specifically remember that quote....but it is not his decision. It is Belichick's....and the fact of the matter is if we got him we will not know how he is used until they play the games. He would probably be more worth his price tag at the end rather than OLB where he would probably struggle in coverage. Either way I doubt he is coming here....unless there is a strategy shift towards more 4-3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

34 DE's job is to hold the line and make tackles not get after the QB, in a 34 Peppers needs to move to OLB a position he has never played.  I don't think we should bring a 30 yr big money guy to play a position that he has never played before.
    To put that much effort into a guy y not be a rookie.  Cheap, young energetic guy who has experience dropping into coverage.

Unless we are moving to a 43 Peppers doesn't make since.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I read the ESPN column on this and they are thinking he's looking for 15 million a year. Somebody will pay him but probably not us for that kind of cash.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

bmad I see what you are saying but a 1yr or 2yr contract probably is not even going to get a blink from Pepper's camp.  This is his last chance at a monster pay day.

He's already 30, if he signs a 2 year contract he will not make anywhere close to the money he could no signing a 4 or 6 year contract plus who's to say he's not hurt within those 2 years and has to call it a career. 

he's looking for the most guaranteed money he can make now.  Probably a 5 or 6 yr contract with 20 to 25mil guaranteed if not more.

I think Taylor makes more since for the type of scenario you are talking about. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree with Pats7393..no way I'm signing Peppers to play OLB at age 30 and with no experience. Plus, even if he is an FA, he will be too expensive. At that point, you'll have to decide Wilfork or Peppers..personally i take Wilfork given his value, even if he is only a 2 down player..he still is a player that is a beast to run against. 

Playing devil's advocate however...if we made a run at Peppers, franchised VW and traded him, I would think we would need to draft a DL, plus a run stuffing, large ILB like Spikes. That might cover the hole we created by letting VW go, plus get some pass rushing expertise. 

I think one of the keys to this would be the progression of Brace. If he had come along faster that he did, we could move on Peppers and trade Vince away (assuming he signs his franchise tag and we can trade him), and fill the gap with Brace and draft a someone like Odrick to play along side him....

Dialing back to reality....better for us to keep Vince, do not make a move for Peppers, and just try to draft a pass rushing OLB/DE and possibly pick one up at a cheaper price via FA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

The Panthers paid him 17 mil for one year. Clearly, they would have given him a huge contract, but he wanted to leave so they franchised him. If he was all about the money he wouldve signed a long term contract with the panthers.
    read this
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3990124

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

with green and AD gone, we could just give peppers what they were being paid

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

what about Aaron Kampman?
    hell be 30 at the start of the season and i know hes recovering from an ACL, but we could use him as a DE, and maybe an OLB

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

sirp you want to bring a 30 yr old innexperienced OLB and pay him that kind of money when we have one of the 2 best NTs in the game without a contract?  Thanks but no thanks, Peppers has been known to dissapear during stretches whats to say once he gets his money he's done?  Who says he'll actually be able to play OLB? 
    For that kind of money you are needing to get a 3 down LB he wouldn't be that.  He's got no coverage skills.  Learining a zone coverage schemes will not be easy.  Drafting a guy to come in and go through the same learning curve but at a small fraction of the money makes more since. 
    If the Pats are willing to spend that type of money give it to VW.  Peppers is not going to sign anything less than a 4 yr contract at 12 to 15 mil a year.  No thanks.  Sign VW at 10 a year and the rest plus a bit more to Bodden, two guys who will make a bigger impact next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

SIGN HIM. He has to be accounted for when opposing offenses are making their gameplan.  Teams need to know where he is on the field at all times when the Pats are on defense.  He IS a top 3 Defensive player in this league who played hurt most of the year last yr.  He CAN CHANGE THE GAME!  SIGN HIM.  I don't care about the COSTS - Let Krafty worry about that as we ALL know - Krafty has plenty of money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Why couldn't he be a de on 1st down and then a rushing lb on 2nd and 3rd? Plus move him around so the opponents don't know where he'll be. That might mitigate his alledged lack of coverage skills. Probably need some kind of incentive contract though. Otherwise, can BB find a stud rushing olb in the draft that can grasp the Pats complicated defensive scheme? Finally, do they make a big push in '10 or set themselves up for the long haul by 'always being competitive', i.e., not overspending on practically anyone?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

You know I don't see how they don't at least try to sign him.  But who knows what their plans are... if they want to go after a pass rusher in the draft then maybe they don't want to bring in a Vet for that position... who knows but I wouldn't mind seeing JP in a Pats uni.

Sections
Shortcuts