June, 2013: Worst Boston Sports Month in History?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

June, 2013: Worst Boston Sports Month in History?

This month has been brutal for us Boston sports fans. First, it was learned that Gronk would need back surgery...and thus likely won't be ready to start the regular season for the Pats.

Next, the surprising Red Sox went on a skid, coinciding with an arm injury to star pitcher Clay Buccholtz...who was 9-0, with an E.R.A. of under 2 runs per 9 innings.

Then, the Bruins, after jumping out to a promising 2-1 lead in the Stanley Cup Finals, lose three straight close games to the Chicago Blackhawks...with two of these losses coming on home ice.  

Next comes the aborted Doc Rivers/KG trade...before Doc is eventually sent packing for a #1 draft choice in 2115.

Finally, there's the Hernandez mess...which progressively got worse. What started out as an obstruction of justice charge mushroomed into a first degree murder charge, and his cap costly release from the team. Worse yet, it now appears that Hernandez is a stone cold gangster killer...with three murders committed (that we know of) within a year!

I'm going to stop watching and listening to sports news for a while. Sports is supposed to be a fun escape. But of late, it's depressing me big-time!! Mercy!!

The only things that I can think of that compares to this was the Pats falling short of a perfect season in 2008...the 1986 Red Sox choking to the NY Mets in the "86 WS...The Celts losing to the hated Lakers in the 1985 and 2010 NBA finals, the "71 Bruins losing to the Canadiens in the Stanley Cup Semi-finals, and the 1975 Sox losing to the Reds, in Game 7 of the WS. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: June, 2013: Worst Boston Sports Month in History?

Yes, certainly a very bad month for Boston Sports fans.   As for Patriots football, I still have nightmares about missing out on the perfect season.  Even though they would never do it, I would love seeing the Patriots pop champagne bottles every time a team failed to match their perfect season.  They would have been the greatest of all time!

BTW TexasPat, since you will be checking this thread out I would like to know if you had a change of heart and want to play fantasy football this season?

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Not really.  Bruins was two wins away from winning the cup.  Red Sox are still in the first place.  Patriots season havent start yet.  Celtics are already old!!

If Hernandez was arrested in October at the same time if the Red Sox do not make into the playoff at the same time we all know the Celtics are in the rebuilding mode.  Then we can say the month of october is the worst month ever.

For now, I am not even complaining.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Not even close.  Wins and losses are part of the joy/disappointment of being a fan.

But, here are some truly terrible times that come to mind (some before my time):

Death of Harry Agganis

Beaning of Tony Conigliaro

Career-ending injury to Darryl Stingley

Death of Len Bias

Death of Reggie Lewis

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Im sure there will be a waiting list or whatever but if theres room i would love to join your guys league.

You have been added to the list.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Not even close.  Wins and losses are part of the joy/disappointment of being a fan.

But, here are some truly terrible times that come to mind (some before my time):

Death of Harry Agganis

Death of Len Bias

Death of Reggie Lewis

Good points.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

This month has been brutal for us Boston sports fans. First, it was learned that Gronk would need back surgery...and thus likely won't be ready to start the regular season for the Pats.

Next, the surprising Red Sox went on a skid, coinciding with an arm injury to star pitcher Clay Buccholtz...who was 9-0, with an E.R.A. of under 2 runs per 9 innings.

Then, the Bruins, after jumping out to a promising 2-1 lead in the Stanley Cup Finals, lose three straight close games to the Chicago Blackhawks...with two of these losses coming on home ice.  

Next comes the aborted Doc Rivers/KG trade...before Doc is eventually sent packing for a #1 draft choice in 2115.

Finally, there's the Hernandez mess...which progressively got worse. What started out as an obstruction of justice charge mushroomed into a first degree murder charge, and his cap costly release from the team. Worse yet, it now appears that Hernandez is a stone cold gangster killer...with three murders committed (that we know of) within a year!

I'm going to stop watching and listening to sports news for a while. Sports is supposed to be a fun escape. But of late, it's depressing me big-time!! Mercy!!

The only things that I can think of that compares to this was the Pats falling short of a perfect season in 2008...the 1986 Red Sox choking to the NY Mets in the "86 WS...The Celts losing to the hated Lakers in the 1985 and 2010 NBA finals, the "71 Bruins losing to the Canadiens in the Stanley Cup Semi-finals, and the 1975 Sox losing to the Reds, in Game 7 of the WS. 

add to the list the departure of Pierce and Garnett...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You could add the Marathon bombing and make it a lousy calendar quarter for Boston sports.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it may of been one of the worst weeks in sports...Doc forces his way out of town, Hern turns into Dexter Morgan, the Bruins lose like that...like that?! And the kid the Celtics drated last night looks like he is in Spinal Tap...this one goes to eleven!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

June 1955 was the worst . . . Aristotle George “Harry” Agganis died and we didn't even have a Patriot team!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

They could do one of those 30-30 films about 1986, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Three teams in their league's championship finals ('86 SB, WS and NBA Finals), two of which ended very badly. Among the best NBA teams in history wins the title and a short while later has the second pick in the draft thanks to another fleece job by the great Auerbach, only to see the prize pick overdose. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Different spin:

Bruins make it to the Cup

Pats rid themselves of a total scumbagg

Celtics ship aging parts for a bucket of high picks

F the Red Sox

Good month!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Been very rough spring/ early summer and football off season.  Can't remember a worse stretch of news for Pats fans. Hard to compare the SB loss in perfect season to the crazy violence and murder allegations related to AH.  Brutal , nasty, and shocking.

In other professional sports news:

Will miss Doc Rivers and now KG and Pierce. Celtics are in total rebuild mode. End of an era.

Bruins loss was a heartbreaker.

Boston Martathon bombings was a horrid act of senseless violence. Recovering ongoing. Puts the sports situation in perspective.

Tough tough times.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Death of Harry Agganis

Death of Len Bias

Death of Reggie Lewis

the last two were drug users..... no sympathy, the first three were tragedies

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Yes, certainly a very bad month for Boston Sports fans.   As for Patriots football, I still have nightmares about missing out on the perfect season.  Even though they would never do it, I would love seeing the Patriots pop champagne bottles every time a team failed to match their perfect season.  They would have been the greatest of all time!

RESPONSE: Not only that, but, for once and for all, it would have all but removed the Miami Dolphins of the 70s from any further discussions, related to football history. It would have shut up the spygate haters permanently, and would have solidified the Patriots as the greastest football dynasty...and Tom Brady as the greatest QB of all-time.   

BTW TexasPat, since you will be checking this thread out I would like to know if you had a change of heart and want to play fantasy football this season?

RESPONSE: I'll only participate if I can team up with NE Game! LOL!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Death of Harry Agganis

Death of Len Bias

Death of Reggie Lewis

All low points, to be sure. The Bias and Tony C. incidents were especially disappointing, from the standpoint of what could have been for the Celts and Sox...had those things not happened.

But this June, there's been a months' worth of woe...involving each major Boston sports team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

The Sox are 15-10 so far this month. Some skid

Ainge traded away three aging veterans who he wasnt going to win with and a coach who didnt want to be here, and in exchange he has put the team in position to rebuild with nine number 1 picks over the next five years

Didnt like the way it ended, but the Bruins made it to the Stanley Cup final and got everyone excited about hockey again

Except for the Hernandez "mess", June 2013 doesnt seem so bad to me

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I was watching that Bruins game. It reminded me three other Boston sports debacles. Bill Buckner and the Red Sox, the Celtics losing to the Fakers in game 7 with and 11 point lead an 3 minutes to go, and the circus SB wins by the Jints against the Patriots.

All those losses came down to defensive lapses at the closing part of the game.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

In response to NedBraden's comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Not really.  Bruins was two wins away from winning the cup.  Red Sox are still in the first place.  Patriots season havent start yet.  Celtics are already old!!

If Hernandez was arrested in October at the same time if the Red Sox do not make into the playoff at the same time we all know the Celtics are in the rebuilding mode.  Then we can say the month of october is the worst month ever.

For now, I am not even complaining.  

Agreed. If the Sox collapsed or the Celts didn't get 4 1st rd picks for a lame duck coach like Doc and KG/Pierce, then it might b worse. I can think of many worse than this.

June of 1993 being one. Sox sucked, Bs swept in Rd 1 with Sinden dealing Moog by July and Reggie Lewis ODIng, sending the Celts into disarray.

I am confused...I know that Len Bias overdosed on cocaine the night he signed his contract, but I do not recollect that Reggie Lewis had a drug problem...I thought that he died of heart issues...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

Death of Harry Agganis

Death of Len Bias

Death of Reggie Lewis

the last two were drug users..... no sympathy, the first three were tragedies

hey j*rkoff: reggie lewis died of a heart ailment

and who the hell are u to judge anyone? having known and worked with drug addicts i can see you think you know what ur talking about but be better if u kept ur tough talking detached opinions to your cold hearted self because trust me you don't

d*ck

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommChairman. Show CommChairman's posts

RESPONSE: Not only that, but it would have, for once and for all, it would have all but removed the Miami Dolphins of the 70s from any further discussions, related to football history. It would have shut up the spygate haters permanently, and would have solidified the Patriots as the greastest football dynasty...and Tom Brady as the greatest QB of all-time.   

The fact that your 'what-if' didn't happen reinforces the significance of the other events that you cited.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to CommChairman's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Not only that, but, for once and for all, it would have all but removed the Miami Dolphins of the 70s from any further discussions, related to football history. It would have shut up the spygate haters permanently, and would have solidified the Patriots as the greastest football dynasty...and Tom Brady as the greatest QB of all-time.   

The fact that your 'what-if' didn'thappen reinforces the significance of the other events that you cited.

Still hurts to think about it. It's a loss that every member of that 2007 team will likely take to their graves.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

I was watching that Bruins game. It reminded me three other Boston sports debacles. Bill Buckner and the Red Sox, the Celtics losing to the Fakers in game 7 with and 11 point lead an 3 minutes to go, and the circus SB wins by the Jints against the Patriots.

All those losses came down to defensive lapses at the closing part of the game.

RESPONSE: Yes, and no. Those Patriots' losses in the SB were also the fault of poor offensive execution. There was the Welker drop...and the horrific play of the Pats' OL in SB 42. Had Welker made that catch in SB 46, and had the Pats' OL given Tom Brady a little time to operate in SB 42, the Pats would have won both of those games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

and who the hell are u to judge anyone? having known and worked with drug addicts i can see you think you know what ur talking about but be better if u kept ur tough talking detached opinions to your cold hearted self because trust me you don't

Thanks, that we needed a New Yorker to point this out is sad, but true.  Lewis died of natural causes and Bias, while he may have done cocaine was a kid who probably made a single bad choice of partying too hard the night he was drafted, a bad decision but no less tragic, plus had he lived we beat the Lakers again for another ring his rookie season and go on winning into the future.

Sections
Shortcuts