Just a little perspective on our favorite teams. . .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Just a little perspective on our favorite teams. . .

There was a time I took the Boston Sports scene way too seriously.    For example, in 1967 the Red Sox went from the Outhouse to the Penthouse but still broke my heart losing the WS in 7.  Then the RS again in 1975 and 1986 was the ultimate RS disappointment.   The RS had many more dissapointments inbetween and all around until finally breaking the curse and winning the first WS in mordern time.   Then the last 2 years with the RS?  OMG.

Now back to the Pats - from a doormat to a winning franchise that is not only expected to contend in every game but is expected to win every game.   This is a good thing folks.

For all the doom and gloomers here is a tip for you.  Once I concentrated on the amount of good that was going on in my own "Game" of life, the less I needed to worry or get upset over whether or not my team won or lost.  

Do I want the Patriots and the rest of the Boston (NE) Teams to win every game?  Absolutely.  Do I feel bad when they lose?  Yes, but after a very short period of time it's back to my own game.   BTW, I haven't lived in NE for 14 years but have somehow managed to watch or listen to almost every Patriots game over this time period.   Why?  Because I enjoy doing it.    

Even though I consider myself a loyal fan, I follow sports for entertainment value only.  

About the only thing I can say that is negative in this post is that I have difficulty demonstrating any patience for Trolls from other teams who like to camp out here.  Their behavior is telling me is that it is doubtful that they have a happy and productive life.  IMO, spending time here to be a thorn in the side of a team that they obviously hate is over the top.

In any event, I guess this is the price we all have to pay for being Fans of a Team that is expected to Win every game it plays.  I hope this does not come off as a lecture because that's not my intent.  I just wanted to share my experience of going from taking this stuff too seriously to just taking it in stride.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Just a little perspective on our favorite teams. . .

Very well said.  Family, career, community well before pro sports.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Excellent post, NC.  It's a breath of fresh air to hear some appreciation and shrewdness.  Well done, sir.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Excellent post, NC.  It's a breath of fresh air to hear some appreciation and shrewdness.  Well done, sir.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Irish.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There was a time I took the Boston Sports scene way too seriously.    For example, in 1967 the Red Sox went from the Outhouse to the Penthouse but still broke my heart losing the WS in 7.  Then the RS again in 1975 and 1986 was the ultimate RS disappointment.   The RS had many more dissapointments inbetween and all around until finally breaking the curse and winning the first WS in mordern time.   Then the last 2 years with the RS?  OMG.

Now back to the Pats - from a doormat to a winning franchise that is not only expected to contend in every game but is expected to win every game.   This is a good thing folks.

For all the doom and gloomers here is a tip for you.  Once I concentrated on the amount of good that was going on in my own "Game" of life, the less I needed to worry or get upset over whether or not my team won or lost.  

Do I want the Patriots and the rest of the Boston (NE) Teams to win every game?  Absolutely.  Do I feel bad when they lose?  Yes, but after a very short period of time it's back to my own game.   BTW, I haven't lived in NE for 14 years but have somehow managed to watch or listen to almost every Patriots game over this time period.   Why?  Because I enjoy doing it.    

Even though I consider myself a loyal fan, I follow sports for entertainment value only.  

About the only thing I can say that is negative in this post is that I have difficulty demonstrating any patience for Trolls from other teams who like to camp out here.  Their behavior is telling me is that it is doubtful that they have a happy and productive life.  IMO, spending time here to be a thorn in the side of a team that they obviously hate is over the top.

In any event, I guess this is the price we all have to pay for being Fans of a Team that is expected to Win every game it plays.  I hope this does not come off as a lecture because that's not my intent.  I just wanted to share my experience of going from taking this stuff too seriously to just taking it in stride.  

[/QUOTE]

Just...one of the best posts ever.

Not just in general, but especially in light of the decade-long standard of excellence that is the current New England Patriots. I can only laugh at those who get all worked up over the loss to the 49ers or the early season games...for Pete's sake, we're rooting for a division winning team that has just as good a shot as any to win the Lombardi. And, if they don't, life goes on, kiss your wife, hug your kids, and get 'em next year.

Heck, after a second look, NC...maybe the best post ever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Geez . . .

I thought having absolutely no life whatsoever was a prerequisite for visiting places like this.

Shows you what I know   ; )

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Great thead! I too have gotton way too involved in the past rooting for men that have no real impact on my life. Spending time away from my kids for hours at a time paying attention to people who could care less about me while my kids are waiting for the game to end so I will hang out with them.

I watch the games still and even went to the last SB in Indy. However, when the game is over, I am over it, win or lose..........Its just a game I enjoy and the loses don't hurt anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not just in general, but especially in light of the decade-long standard of excellence that is the current New England Patriots. I can only laugh at those who get all worked up over the loss to the 49ers or the early season games...for Pete's sake, we're rooting for a division winning team that has just as good a shot as any to win the Lombardi. And, if they don't, life goes on, kiss your wife, hug your kids, and get 'em next year.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your kind words NY Pats.

I probably should add that it took a lot of years and unnecessary grief for me to finally get to this stage.   :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In response to thehub's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great thead! I too have gotton way too involved in the past rooting for men that have no real impact on my life. Spending time away from my kids for hours at a time paying attention to people who could care less about me while my kids are waiting for the game to end so I will hang out with them.

I watch the games still and even went to the last SB in Indy. However, when the game is over, I am over it, win or lose..........Its just a game I enjoy and the loses don't hurt anymore.

[/QUOTE]

When my daughter was very young her mother used to tell her -- whenever she got anxious to be going somewhere or doing something -- "Two minutes, Allison. We're leaving in two minutes." So, "two minutes" became this catch-all phrase to indicate that she should be patient sometimes.  Well . . .  anyway . . .  this one day Allie (roughly three years old at the time) was terribly excited to go to the mall and see Santa Claus and she's pestering her mother to be on their way and Sandy says "Two minutes, Allie. Two minutes" and the kid looks up at her mother and asks: "Football minutes?", realizing -- of course -- that two football minutes can sometimes be a very long time, indeed.

I'm not really sure what the point of this story is, but I thought that was pretty damn cute.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Not much to be dismayed about concerning the Pats. They have four losses by a less than 3 point average. One was lost on a blown FG by Ghost, another by a blown FG call by replacement refs.

The D looks like it might be legit at this point. Nothing whatsoever to be down about. There is not a single team to fear in this league for them. Their greatest enemy will be themselves. They can beat anybody if they execute.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

When my daughter was very young her mother used to tell her -- whenever she got anxious to be going somewhere or doing something -- "Two minutes, Allison. We're leaving in two minutes." So, "two minutes" became this catch-all phrase to indicate that she should be patient sometimes. Well . . . anyway . . . this one day Allie (roughly three years old at the time) was terribly excited to go to the mall and see Santa Claus and she's pestering her mother to be on their way and Sandy says "Two minutes, Allie. Two minutes" and the kid looks up at her mother and asks: "Football minutes?"

I'm not really sure what the point of this story is, but I thought that was pretty damn cute.

^^^^good post. Kids are awesome.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When my daughter was very young her mother used to tell her -- whenever she got anxious to be going somewhere or doing something -- "Two minutes, Allison. We're leaving in two minutes." So, "two minutes" became this catch-all phrase to indicate that she should be patient sometimes.  Well . . .  anyway . . .  this one day Allie (roughly three years old at the time) was terribly excited to go to the mall and see Santa Claus and she's pestering her mother to be on their way and Sandy says "Two minutes, Allie. Two minutes" and the kid looks up at her mother and asks: "Football minutes?", realizing -- of course -- that two football minutes can sometimes be a very long time, indeed.

[/QUOTE]

That's a gem.  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your kind words NY Pats.

I probably should add that it took a lot of years and unnecessary grief for me to finally get to this stage.   :)

[/QUOTE]

AS GBS once said, "Youth is wasted on the young."

When I was 16 years old, my dad was 45, and I remember his telling me that if he were given the power to snap his fingers and immediately revert back to age 16, he wouldn't exercise that power. I thought he was both old and crazy.

Now, at 51, I know exactly what he meant; that wisdom is only acquired with time, but once acquired, is more valuable than time.

Congrats, NC, on having entered the season of wisdom.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not much to be dismayed about concerning the Pats. They have four losses by a less than 3 point average. One was lost on a blown FG by Ghost, another by a blown FG call by replacement refs.

The D looks like it might be legit at this point. Nothing whatsoever to be down about. There is not a single team to fear in this league for them. Their greatest enemy will be themselves. They can beat anybody if they execute.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you just said Babe.   

How about the couple of wins by the Texans that were total give aways by Detroit and Jacksonville? We hear all the time about the AFC East being in such a weak division.  How about the AFC South which was a Powder Puff Division for Peyton all those years?  

All and all, I think we're going to be just fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fantastic that you were able to go to the Super Bowl.  

I had a friend stop by on his way down to Florida last month.  He is a Patriot Season Ticket Holder and attended the Super Bowl against the Rams.  He said the feeling he had when the Patriots came out of the Tunnel as a team instead of individually is something he'll never forget.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Let's face it. If you survived 2007 you can handle anything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's crazy talk.  BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fantastic that you were able to go to the Super Bowl.  

I had a friend stop by on his way down to Florida last month.  He is a Patriot Season Ticket Holder and attended the Super Bowl against the Rams.  He said the feeling he had when the Patriots came out of the Tunnel as a team instead of individually is something he'll never forget.    

[/QUOTE]

It was a blast.  I went with my younger brother (32) and UD6 was helpful with some good local restaurants and handouts. Great time bad results. It was weird that I was not all upset at the lose like I would have been at home in front of the Tv. My brother felt the same way. Bummer about the BB and TB legacy (could have improved beyond what it already it is).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1  

P.S. Where in NC are you? I lived in Concord for several years in the 90's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Appreciate the real words from a longtime fan...  Yeah I've lived and loved Boston sports teams for while also, and can relate to the perspective adjustment that passionate fans have to make occasionally. It's all good IMO.  sports are metaphors for life in many ways.  Taken in rational doses (hmmm...key word there) it is a great activity , period.  And while talking about kids, what else do you want them doing...?

Of course everyone on this board must know my distaste for trolls since i have made that pretty clear lately so completely agree on that point.

its nice to read posts of regular people who are on this board. Sometimes you wonder... this forum is an excellent outlet for thoughts and feelings and its great to share stuff with people that get it ( from a similar perspective)...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

Overall great post.  Never understood the trolls either.  I think you're right.  I scroll past their posts, never really reading them, but I just want to tell them to develop some sort of a social, professional, family life.  Especially the ones who post about 500 times a month. 

I don't have to demonstrate any patience with them because you have to consider what they're doing here.  It's nothing productive or interesting, so why bother engaging?  There are a lot of good thoughts going around the board, that's why I read. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1  

[/QUOTE]

I'm about 100 Miles Southwest of Concord pretty close to the SC Border "in the land of Cotton", Corn, Soybeans and Tobbaco.    Not much doing here but I like it that way.   :)

Flew into Boston in October and it brought back memories of what real traffic is like.  

Where I live now, I have to worry more about a deer running into my car or a stray cow on the road.  LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1  

[/QUOTE]

I'm about 100 Miles Southwest of Concord pretty close to the SC Border "in the land of Cotton", Corn, Soybeans and Tobbaco.    Not much doing here but I like it that way.   :)

Flew into Boston in October and it brought back memories of what real traffic is like.  

Where I live now, I have to worry more about a deer running into my car or a stray cow on the road.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

watch out for the critters...

Small world...  I did 2 restaurant jobs for uno,  one in concord, one in downtown charlotte.   one takeaway from that area was the amount of "southern belles" walking around and yes, I admit, working at  hooters. ( great place for a burger)...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Great post, NCPatsFan...  this is EXACTLY how I deal with my favorite teams as well.  Win or lose, I still have a life to live.  Name a fan who is not totally gleeful when their team wins and in the dumps when they lose.  But, do they have to knash their teeth over it?   Apparently, when you read this forum, a lot do.  Healthy discussions are one thing, banging on each others posts are another and the "out of town" fan who bashes the folks here for being loyal Pats fans are definitely unwelcome.  All in all.. this place is decent and don't let it get under your skin!   

Sections
Shortcuts