Just got back from San Diego 2 Things standout!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Just got back from San Diego 2 Things standout!

BenJarvis Green Ellis is not the answer at running back, and Arrington is looking more like Ellis Hobbs. Even though the O-Line had its worst game of the season, BJGE is not a starting Rb sorry. I know he has alot of fans in this Forum. I can't wait for the often injured Taylor to get back.Cunningham is going to turn out to be a stud, looks very good out there. Sergio Brown looked like he belonged out there also. Huge play on Gates to force the Field Goal.Mcourty Great Pick. Overall thrilled to get the win. A sickening feeling was creeping in after they got the onside kick. Defense showed that they can go on the road and win a game like this, that's also Huge. Not as many Pats fans this year in San Diego.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Just got back from San Diego 2 Things standout!

I thought the stands were loaded with Pats fans.  I was there too.  Plaza level - Section 5 - Row 19 - Seat 3.  

Keep in mind that we were playing a very good defense today.  It looks like we get to play every top defense in the league this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I was there, field level F16, Row 8, Seat 9 (just to the left of the goal posts)

I thought that the Patriots missed many opportunities to blow the game out and they went soft at the end. The young defense practically gave away the game. The Patriots did what they had to do, we will learn form this, but a win is a win.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

San Diego has/was (the last time I checked), So far the #1 Ranked Overall Defense in the NFL so far this Season- And I recall someone before the game stating that SD had the Top Ranked #1 Passing Defense as well...too bad their coaching is inept and their Offense unbelievably inept.

As for this: 

"Even though the O-Line had its worst game of the season, BJGE is not a starting Rb sorry. I know he has alot of fans in this Forum."

...I believe I speak for the majority of Patriot Fans in the known Universe, when I say the following: 'We know, It's just that Lawrence Maroney was altogether worse and worse for far longer.  Injured often AND worse...for far longer.  And his dancing-hit-the-hole-after-an-hour-and-with-NO-authority style was a bad fit for NE's zone-blocking scheme, built for passing O-Line- Oh, and he was injured often---And worse...for far longer.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I was not fortunate enough to be at the game but I watched every minute of this very tough but well earned win.  Facts are facts and SD has an outstanding O and an outstanding D - #1 in both categories as has been said. 

The difference (and I do apologize for stating the obvious) is that the Pats played damned near mistake free football and the Bolts did not.  This is a result of good coaching of smart players to pay attention to detail.

BJGE is a serviceable running back who does not cough up the football.  Will we see him in Canton? Hardly.  Will he do until next year's draft?  Oh I think so.

That young D is looking better every game.  You bet your life they are. It seems that every player on the D side of the football for the Pats did their job and that's all BB asks of his players.

And finally two thoughts that this game brings vividly to mind:

1) The only stat that really matters is the final score;
    2) T'is better to win ugly than to lose pretty.

My 2 cents.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Just got back from San Diego 2 Things standout!:
    I thought the stands were loaded with Pats fans.  I was there too.  Plaza level - Section 5 - Row 19 - Seat 3.   Keep in mind that we were playing a very good defense today.  It looks like we get to play every top defense in the league this year.
    Posted by carawaydj

DJ- I thought the Chargers D played much better than the Ravens so it looks like J-Bolt was right about that. This was another very good win. 3 in a row.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Agree.  Like where the defense is headed.  During the offseason, we need to retool the O-line and pick up a real running back. BJGE and Woodhead are nice guys to have and I like them both, but they are not frontline RBs. Taylor is the real deal, but he's too old and too-often injured to be the main guy. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I thought the so called "softness" of the D was scheme entirely.  They played off by a huge margin in the 2nd to last drive.  I was disappointed that they did NOT anticipate the onside kick, then they played soft coverage again for the final TD.  I don't like the strategy, but they executed it like they should have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Just got back from San Diego 2 Things standout!:
    BenJarvis Green Ellis is not the answer at running back, and Arrington is looking more like Ellis Hobbs. Even though the O-Line had its worst game of the season, BJGE is not a starting Rb sorry. I know he has alot of fans in this Forum. I can't wait for the often injured Taylor to get back.Cunningham is going to turn out to be a stud, looks very good out there. Sergio Brown looked like he belonged out there also. Huge play on Gates to force the Field Goal.Mcourty Great Pick. Overall thrilled to get the win. A sickening feeling was creeping in after they got the onside kick. Defense showed that they can go on the road and win a game like this, that's also Huge. Not as many Pats fans this year in San Diego.
    Posted by patriots44

some may have said that, but he's doing better this year when guys like Crumpler, Gronk, or an OL is opening a decent hole for him to run thru. He is still a north-south runner who I prefer over Laura.  That being said, Patriots still need a fullback who can get some short yardage, block for Brady, and get some YAC

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It's time to find a new offensive coordinator. Why you don't try to run on a weak Run D is beyond me.  Terrible gameplan by O'Brien.

The D was very good. I am not goinig to fault the TD for the onside kick. Momentum had swung. It was executed perfectly and it always helps to have a little luck.

Those FGs in the first half via the poor O'Brien playcalling came back to haunt them.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Are the pats better than expected?  I don't know.  But I believe this - this year there is no clearly dominant team in the NFL.  Teams with talent that make the fewest mistakes will be the teams that come out on top. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Nobody is asking if the PATS are really committed to the run.  I note that when BJGE got eight yards on first down, the next two plays were passses to get two yards, both of which failed.  How many touches did he get yesterday?  Eleven.  Not what I'd call committment.  You can't tell anything about a back from a game like that.  He's not one of the league's hot shot backs because A)  He's not supposed to be and B) the PATS are still not committed to the running game except insofar as it sets up the pass. In my opinion, they need to be more committed to it and it can't wait for Fred Taylor to be healthy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots started out thin at running back.  When Fred Taylor is 33, when Sammy Morris is 33, when Kevin Faulk is 33 (one of them is actually 34), then they're not going to hold up the entire season.  Maroney runs upright and gets injured, so he's not going to hold up either.  That leaves BJGE, an undrafted player so don't expect miracles out of him.  If it weren't for the utter stupidity of the Jets organization, we'd have no running back at all.

Next, the Patriots started out thin at cornerback and in the backfield.  Shawn Springs was unloaded early despite pretty good play in 2009.  He was released on May 18, and none of the other 31 NFL teams have wanted him either.  His home phone number is --.  Leigh Bodden is out for the season.  Butler got the willies.  McCourty is doing quite well for himself, but Kyle Arrington was never more than a spare part.  Chung is a great safety-cornerback hybrid, but when he's out, the backfield is more like Jello in a bowl.

Finally, there's a no-Moss problem.  Deion Branch stepped in and the Ravens were blindsided, but this time the Chargers had film of Branch.  When the team doesn't go deep, the opponent crowds in near the line of scrimmage. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Brady did not have Moss from 2001-2006.

Moss is ideal for a spread offense. O'Brien needs to run the ball and use more screens and draws to set up play action.

It doesn't have to all happen in the 1st quarter.

The other thing is, Brady has weapons that line up on totally different locations on the line of scrimmage.

Forcing balls to Welker or ignoring the TEs as much as they do in the middle of the field along with not running it enough is disturbing.

Why is there an issue witht a threat to go deep? If that is such a fascination, line Tate or Slater up and have them run a go route in the 1st quarter, use play action and if one of them is in single coverage, launch it.

Too many excuses for O'Brien here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Yeah, Paul, you can really notice the weakness of the post-Moss O. The receivers were often well-covered. Branch did make a few catches later in the game, but he was not much of a factor.  Before the game, I was thinking, "yeah, he got nine catches for 98 yards last week, but that was including 13 minutes of OT, with very tired DBs covering him."  He has great hands, but he does not seem like a long-term solution at WR.

I was also thinking of Tate's oft-dropped passes and how Stanley Morgan started his career with that problem. If I remember correctly, the problem was overcome by his practicing with a Nerf ball and a pass-throwing machine.  If you can master catching a fast-moving spoungey ball, you can easily catch a regulation football.

If Tate can fix his hands - while they also send Hernandez long - Tate has the speed to open up the field and help Welker and Branch get open.

As for Green-Ellis, I don't want to dump on him.  He is a good value player that has been asked to do more than he is skilled to do.  Better than Maroney, but he is no Faulk, Dillion nor Taylor.  He is healthy and he usually comes through on the important short-yardage plays, which will diminish a RBs yards-per-carry stat. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Just got back from San Diego 2 Things standout!:
    Brady did not have Moss from 2001-2006. Moss is ideal for a spread offense. O'Brien needs to run the ball and use more screens and draws to set up play action. It doesn't have to all happen in the 1st quarter. The other thing is, Brady has weapons that line up on totally different locations on the line of scrimmage. Forcing balls to Welker or ignoring the TEs as much as they do in the middle of the field along with not running it enough is disturbing. Why is there an issue witht a threat to go deep? If that is such a fascination, line Tate or Slater up and have them run a go route in the 1st quarter, use play action and if one of them is in single coverage, launch it. Too many excuses for O'Brien here.
    Posted by BBReigns

Man, you nailed it. O'Brien has been calling terrible games. That running play on 4th-and-one in the fourth was doggy-doo. Those early calls to throw long to Branch a' la Moss were ridiculous.  O'Brien does not understand how to use his players' strengths or when to call what kind of play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

I was in section V4 row 6. For the O-line playing poorly, and Brady not playing his best, and O'Briens play calling. To get this win is huge, with a young Defense on the Road. No great teams this year, and the Pats are improving every week. This gives New England a legitimate shot this year at the Super Bowl.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Just got back from San Diego 2 Things standout!:
    Posted by patriots44

You have to remember that this is one of or the best D they'll face all year. Those guys are good.

Sections
Shortcuts