Just HOW important has Kraft been?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Just HOW important has Kraft been?

Specifically, on the field. I know he's done a lot of works on CBAs, but strictly on the field + stadium credit?

I ask, because i've been reading a lot about how Parcells helped turn this team around, BB deserves credit, Brady deserves credit, Orthwein deserves credit...but Kraft seems to be overlooked.

In my estimation, if Kraft doesn't buy this team (well, technically, if he didn't buy the stadium and surrounding land first), a few things are different:

1) They are the St Louis Patriots, no idea where the Rams land.

2) They are still likely a laughing stock.

-He drafted Bledsoe (ok, so the GM did, but he weighed in heavily back then).
    -He hired Parcells.
    -He hired, at exceptional cost, Belichick.
    -He was the first owner to pony up so much of his OWN money for a stadium.
    -He did that to keep from moving to hartford, where taxpayers would have footed the bill.
    -He has learned to be an owner who trusts the people he's hired, and let them do their job (Wash and Dal fans could appreciate that).

In football, I'm not aware of a better owner. Period.

If he never gains control of this team, we never get 3 SB trophies, and 2 other appearences along witht he myriad other things he has done.

When giving credit for the Patriot's dominance, Kraft will always be no lower than 1a for me. That's figuring BB is 1b, sharing the top spot.

Even without BB, I think Kraft would have gotten this team to about where they are now, but with BB, I think we've witnessed, and continue to witness, maybe the best Owner/Coach combination in recent pro sports.

It was a pleasure when the camera found him at the Bs Game 7, and person after person just wanted to shake his hand, and he was gracious to every single one. I'll never forget this story from last season either:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/cannscorner/cann_corner_patriots_owner_returns_0h791I8W8TV8GTcJ72NVCN

Unfortunately, with regard to a certain even, I couldn't find more than this mention:

"Two cool moments occurred prior to the game, 1st Raiders Black Hole members applauded Patriots owner Robert Kraft when he came on the field during pregame warm ups.   Kraft was seen talking and signing autographs for Black Hole members."

I remember reading that to go see Davis, Kraft had to walk through the Black Hole (only way to get their, Davis made it that way on purpose), and while pats org. members didn't think it was a good idea, Kraft forged on and was met by...handshakes and kind words. How many NFL owners would get that treatment in the Hole? Even WITH the 'tuck rule' between them!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Just HOW important has Kraft been?

Well if you want to see Kraft's affect simply look at the two opposing owners in Kraft and Henry

Both have won championships and have catered to pink hat fans to make tons of money. The biggest difference is that Henry only cares about the profit and has turned the Sox into a pink hat circus that cares more about the bottom line then it does winning. The team is reflective of the owner and has become a bunch of entitled, greedy, excuse makers who's only desire is about their image and their marketability. Winning is more of icing on the cake then it is the goal

Kraft on the other hand has embraced pink hats and made tons of money doing so but is still a fan at heart. You can tell winning to him is more important then money (see his final approval on signings and trades that weren't fan friendly at the time). His team reflects that image where they want to get paid but you can see in each of them that it's also about the fans, about winning, and about the culture and image of the team. You hear it all the time from them that's it's not about 1 individual player around Gillette that it's about the laundry. Of course they want to get paid but when they are under contract it's about the team and winning first and their individual stats second

The owners reflect the cultures and the culture in Foxboro is envied around the league

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: Just HOW important has Kraft been?:
    Well if you want to see Kraft's affect simply look at the two opposing owners in Kraft and Henry Both have won championships and have catered to pink hat fans to make tons of money. The biggest difference is that Henry only cares about the profit and has turned the Sox into a pink hat circus that cares more about the bottom line then it does winning. The team is reflective of the owner and has become a bunch of entitled, greedy, excuse makers who's only desire is about their image and their marketability. Winning is more of icing on the cake then it is the goal Kraft on the other hand has embraced pink hats and made tons of money doing so but is still a fan at heart. You can tell winning to him is more important then money (see his final approval on signings and trades that weren't fan friendly at the time). His team reflects that image where they want to get paid but you can see in each of them that it's also about the fans, about winning, and about the culture and image of the team. You hear it all the time from them that's it's not about 1 individual player around Gillette that it's about the laundry. Of course they want to get paid but when they are under contract it's about the team and winning first and their individual stats second The owners reflect the cultures and the culture in Foxboro is envied around the league
    Posted by PatsEng

Kraft was a Pats fan who bought the team he loved. Henry is a venture capitalist who bought a team he could care less about to make money.

Kraft wants to win championships while making money. Henry doesn't care whether or not the Sox win as long as it doesn't effect his profits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I am SO glad you two went there. I wanted to, so very badly, but my anti-Henry and Co has been well enough documented.

Kraft is what helps fuel my dislike for the Yawkey way circus.

Very well put PatsEng.

But, in the world of the Pats...how important has he been? Most important? Not very?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Great thread!
    What I like:
    1. He is a big fan - lots of owners are just businessmen
    2. He loves being around the players and coaches, but as a fan. He lets everyone do their jobs without interferring.
    3. BB is the brains, Kraft is the soul of this team. Kraft focuses on the people, BB focuses on their performance.

Loved it last year when players who might not have left on the best of terms returned to Boston to sit with Kraft.

On #3 above - Kraft became the soul of the NFL during the lock-out. And you see it in the hug, and the reaction from the Black Hole in Oakland.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

At the end of the day, it's been a total team effort - the way it should be!

- Without BB, Kraft would likely be just another owner.

- BB without Brady, likely wouldn't of had the same level of success. 

- Brady without a great system around him, never would of become TFB. 

That all said, Kraft's value goes well beyond just the Patriots.  He's been instrumental in helping grow the entire NFL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I am SO glad you two went there. I wanted to, so very badly, but my anti-Henry and Co has been well enough documented. Kraft is what helps fuel my dislike for the Yawkey way circus. Very well put PatsEng. But, in the world of the Pats...how important has he been? Most important? Not very?
    Posted by ma6dragon9

I honestly think the culture of the club starts with the owner. They are the ones who have final say in the managers, coaches, and signing off on players. I think Kraft had a lot to do with chemistry in the locker room and targeting certain players that fit the NE mentality. Actually I think Myra had a larger effect on this then Bob himself but it all stems from this family. I sat in the same section as Kraft (about a little more then 10 rows behind him) back during the metal bleacher days and I can tell you right away he carries himself with a certain amount of respect and carries a lot of respect for everybody regardless of what color collar or no collar you wear. I read a report that Kraft knows every employees name all the way down to the cafeteria workers and I don't doubt it for one second. His mo is do your job and everyone who works for the organization has a part in the success, even the lowest employee. I think that attitude is very reflective of the team, where no one is bigger then the team and a team is more successful then an individual. I think Kraft surrounded himself with players and coaches with the same ideals and that is why this team is so successful

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Just HOW important has Kraft been? : Kraft was a Pats fan who bought the team he loved. Henry is a venture capitalist who bought a team he could care less about to make money. Kraft wants to win championships while making money. Henry doesn't care whether or not the Sox win as long as it doesn't effect his profits.
    Posted by glenr

Good summary Evil. Said the same thing in less words, Laz would be disappointed lol

Sections
Shortcuts