Just Look at the Versatility

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Just Look at the Versatility

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Good to see some people here realize DA is not WW and that his skill set is actually a better compliment to this O. That does not mean he is better or worse, just a better fit. Of course it assumes at least two things: (1) he stays relatively healthy and (2) he develops a good chemistry with TB.

Hahaha!  Apparently you aren't following along.  What happens to be his skill set that will make him better compliment to this O?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Hahaha!  Apparently you aren't following along.  What happens to be his skill set that will make him better compliment to this O?

Because he is fast enough and big enough to run routes in the route tree that Welker cannot. Whether you like it or not this is a fact.  Read any analyst that watches tape and they will say this.  Look I know you're a huge Welker fan and I am sad to see him go as well and I happen to disagree with the fans that have been berating Welker for months, but Amendola can do things in this offense that Welker cannot.  Will he?  We don't know, but it's a risk the FO has decided to take given that we just spent a ton of money locking up our 2 TEs that run a lot of the same routes Wes does.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Good to see some people here realize DA is not WW and that his skill set is actually a better compliment to this O. That does not mean he is better or worse, just a better fit. Of course it assumes at least two things: (1) he stays relatively healthy and (2) he develops a good chemistry with TB.

TFB,  Take a deep breath, man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

I know.. It gets a bit tiring knocking these people down who make comments like they are facts, yet their comments are only their speculation.  Like all of Rusty's comments and ones like this......

From pcmIV "Because he is fast enough and big enough to run routes in the route tree that Welker cannot. Whether you like it or not this is a fact.  Read any analyst that watches tape and they will say this.?

I mean really?  Where is the proof of this?  Then why didn't the Rams not do so?  Amendola was in the slot position a higher percentage of snaps then Welker was.  Please tell me, what can Amendola do in this offense better then Welker? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Fun video for sure. It will be exciting to see what he can do in NE and see what the Pats have in store for him.

Btw, he can get down field at times but that video shows how easily he is tackled and his yards after catch are not impressive. Certainly not better then Welkers.

I know I will get slammed here for mentioning Welker but Rusty has gone on record over and over, post after post, thread after thread telling untruths just to push his agenda here, tow the company line and push Amendola and berate Welker.

But the things he says over and over are not true.

Rusty has said Welker was basically only a slot WR.  That Amendola lines up on the outside a lot more, that Amendola lines up in more positions then Welker has.  That Amendola runs more screen passes and can be better at running those.

Well let me spew the facts here... 

Since 2009 Danny Amendola has ran a higher percentage of his routes from the slot (85.3%) then Welker has (73.8%)

While Rusty also likes to make a big deal how Amendola is a better deep receiver then Welker is.  Since 2009 out of 2104 routes ran Welker has been targeted as a deep receiver  38 times with 17 receptions for 655 yards.  An average of 38.5 yards per deep reception.  Out of 1085 routes ran Amendola was targeted 18 times with 5 receptions for 163 yards.  An average of 32.6 yards per reception.

In another thread Rust said how much better the Pats will do with adding Amendola into screen passes, something Rusty said Welker didn't do much.  In 2012 Welker was targeted 22 time on screen passes while Amondola just 7.

As you can see Rusty just throw's out numbers and stats as well as false statements.  The things he says is just not true.  He has an agenda here regardless if what he says is true or not.  How can people believe a word he says?

PRICELESS!!  ^^^^

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

From pcmIV "Because he is fast enough and big enough to run routes in the route tree that Welker cannot. Whether you like it or not this is a fact.  Read any analyst that watches tape and they will say this.?

I mean really?  Where is the proof of this?  Then why didn't the Rams not do so?  Amendola was in the slot position a higher percentage of snaps then Welker was.  Please tell me, what can Amendola do in this offense better then Welker? 

Dude the Rams have outside receivers in Gibson and Givens and they don't have 2 of the best receiving TEs in the league that work the middle of the field.  Of course it makes sense to line Amendola in the slot in that situation.  Jesus why are you being so obtuse on this issue?  Projecting whether or not someone can play on the outside based on their physical attributes is not rocket science.  Amendola has the physical attributes to line up on the outside.  Just because he was best used in the slot given the personnel in St. Louis doesn't mean we can't use him in other ways here.  Of course I expect Danny to be used in the slot here, but the point is that he CAN line up outside in certain personnel groupings, something Wes could never do. And before you counter with some bs about pff saying Welker was lined up outside I mean not just where he is on the field, but what kind of routes he is running.  As Z has already noted when Welker was lined up "outside" it was generally in stacked formations and he still ran the same routes he did when he was in the slot. Welker is one of the best in the league if not ever on a certain section of the route tree, but that's all he does.  It is great and it might get him in the HOF, but with a 2 TE offense you want more from your WR which is why the Pats are taking a risk on Amendola.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

I know.. It gets a bit tiring knocking these people down who make comments like they are facts, yet their comments are only their speculation.  Like all of Rusty's comments and ones like this......

as an outside fan it is funny as hell to me to see all these flaws and weaknesses welker suddenly got in the last couple of months

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

as an outside fan it is funny as hell to me to see all these flaws and weaknesses welker suddenly got in the last couple of months

Oh shut it troll.  I have defended Welker a heck of a lot more than most posters on this board (except for TFB obviously).  I am sad to see him go.  He was a great player for us.  He will be a great player in Denver.  That doesn't mean that there aren't drawbacks to keeping him when you have 2 elite receiving TEs featured in your offense.  It also doesn't mean that his replacement is going to be asked to do the exact same things.  In fact if he was then we wouldn't have signed him and just kept Wes.  If you honestly think the Patriots can line Welker up on the outside and have him run those kinds of routes you are a bigger football idiot than you are a troll.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Amendola just hasn't been as productive as Welker.  We'll see what happens . . . on paper there are a lot of reasons to think Amendola could be as good or even better than Welker.  But as of now, you have to say Welker is the better receiver.  We'll see what happens in 2013. We can argue till the cows come home now, but we won't really know if this deal was good or bad until we see what Amendola and Welker do next year. 

Remember all the BJGE threads last season?  Look forward to endless Wes Welker vs Amendola threads this year . . . 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Amendola just hasn't been as productive as Welker.  We'll see what happens . . . on paper there are a lot of reasons to think Amendola could be as good or even better than Welker.  But as of now, you have to say Welker is the better receiver.  We'll see what happens in 2013. We can argue till the cows come home now, but we won't really know if this deal was good or bad until we see what Amendola and Welker do next year. 

Remember all the BJGE threads last season?  Look forward to Wes Welker vs Amendola thread this year . . . 

Look no one is arguing that Welker sucks or that Danny is going to be a dam Hall of Famer.  Of course there was risk involved with this move, but it was risk the FO thought was worth taking.  Do you really think Belichick would have let Wes walk if he thought Amendola was going to do the exact same things?  What would be the point of taking that risk?  If Amendola works out (which doesn't mean he will have to put up Wes like numbers) it means the offense will be more diverse.  2 TEs over the middle and the best slot receiver in the NFL (if not ever) is REDUNDANT.  A fact that has reared its ugly head one too many times in the playoffs since 2010.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Dude the Rams have outside receivers in Gibson and Givens and they don't have 2 of the best receiving TEs in the league that work the middle of the field.  Of course it makes sense to line Amendola in the slot in that situation.  Jesus why are you being so obtuse on this issue?  Projecting whether or not someone can play on the outside based on their physical attributes is not rocket science.  Amendola has the physical attributes to line up on the outside.  Just because he was best used in the slot given the personnel in St. Louis doesn't mean we can't use him in other ways here.  Of course I expect Danny to be used in the slot here, but the point is that he CAN line up outside in certain personnel groupings, something Wes could never do. And before you counter with some bs about pff saying Welker was lined up outside I mean not just where he is on the field, but what kind of routes he is running.  As Z has already noted when Welker was lined up "outside" it was generally in stacked formations and he still ran the same routes he did when he was in the slot. Welker is one of the best in the league if not ever on a certain section of the route tree, but that's all he does.  It is great and it might get him in the HOF, but with a 2 TE offense you want more from your WR which is why the Pats are taking a risk on Amendola.

Why am I being so obtuse on Amendola being used on the outside?  Because some of you take it as a fact that he can.  How do you know?  Just because of his physical attributes, even though he has not proved it in his entire career?  A guy who played 83% of his snaps in the slot position, has only 5 deep route receptions since 2009, for 163 yards and has only been in 12 out of the last 32 games is going to come in and be used on the outside and be effective?  I'm not so sure about that!  Welkers outside numbers were more impressive then that!!  But for some reason, based solely on physical attributes at 5'11", and ignoring all other data, you and a few others think he can come in and do so?  And you act like I'm the ignorant one!!

Listen, I hope he does but it's foolish to act like he can without any type of proof!  Oh, except his physical attributes... which don't happen to be very impressive compared to your normal wideouts. 

Now you tell me, Am I really off base here?  I don't think so.  Oh, and you are counting on Gronk and AH81 staying healthy enough to be on the field together to take up the middle.  Again, past history shows they can't stay healthy enough to be on the field together a lot during the season so Amendola will need to be in the slot more when that happens.

Do you happen to be Rusty?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Remember all the BJGE threads last season?  Look forward to Wes Welker vs Amendola thread this year . . . 

Look no one is arguing that Welker sucks or that Danny is going to be a dam Hall of Famer.  Of course there was risk involved with this move, but it was risk the FO thought was worth taking.  Do you really think Belichick would have let Wes walk if he thought Amendola was going to do the exact same things?  What would be the point of taking that risk?  If Amendola works out (which doesn't mean he will have to put up Wes like numbers) it means the offense will be more diverse.  2 TEs over the middle and the best slot receiver in the NFL (if not ever) is REDUNDANT.  A fact that has reared its ugly head one too many times in the playoffs since 2010.

I'm neither for or against the "swap" of Welker for Amendola.  I understand all the arguments for Amendola and don't disagree with them. At the same time, I think it's obvious that Welker has been the more productive of the two so far.  We'll see what happens next year. 

As far as the problems with offensive diversity, I don't believe Amendola helps all that much.  They need a true outside receiver for that.  I'm hoping they find that in the draft. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Oh shut it troll.  I have defended Welker a heck of a lot more than most posters on this board (except for TFB obviously).  I am sad to see him go.  He was a great player for us.  He will be a great player in Denver.  That doesn't mean that there aren't drawbacks to keeping him when you have 2 elite receiving TEs featured in your offense.  It also doesn't mean that his replacement is going to be asked to do the exact same things.  In fact if he was then we wouldn't have signed him and just kept Wes.  If you honestly think the Patriots can line Welker up on the outside and have him run those kinds of routes you are a bigger football idiot than you are a troll.

I just think it's amazing how all these negatives were recently discovered-like right after he declared FA and was signed by Denver

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

He's being obtuse because he has an illness. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I had no idea he was from California and a bandwagon fan either.  Not a fan of that kind of behavior especially when I had been going to games since the early/mid 80s.

He thinks it's all about a few offensive players in an offensive era for stats and no cap era responsibility.

His whole reason for being here is BB and his cap era genius.

I have an illness, hahahaha!! Thats funny  coming from you.  A person who spams this entire forum, who has to argue with everyone in every thread, who has done nothing but state facts that are not true.  That is another one of you comments that is completely wrong.  You argue with everyone here, and I have an illness??? LOL!!

What does you having gone to games since early/mid 80's have anything to do with anything?  I have been involved either watching or playing since I was 3-4 years old.  And how do you know I have not been going to games since early/mid 80's?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

He's being obtuse because he has an illness. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I had no idea he was from California and a bandwagon fan either.  Not a fan of that kind of behavior especially when I had been going to games since the early/mid 80s.

He thinks it's all about a few offensive players in an offensive era for stats and no cap era responsibility.

His whole reason for being here is BB and his cap era genius.

I have an illness, hahahaha!! Thats funny  coming from you.  A person who spams this entire forum, who has to argue with everyone in every thread, who has done nothing but state facts that are not true.  That is another one of you comments that is completely wrong.  You argue with everyone here, and I have an illness??? LOL!!

What does you having gone to games since early/mid 80's have anything to do with anything?  I have been involved either watching or playing since I was 3-4 years old.  And how do you know I have not been going to games since early/mid 80's?

tfb u agree with my posts? isn't is funny all these flaws and limits welker suddenly got?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Let me just repost this from earlier in the thread in case some of you missed it.

Rusty has said Welker was basically only a slot WR.  That Amendola lines up on the outside a lot more, that Amendola lines up in more positions then Welker has.  That Amendola runs more screen passes and can be better at running those.

Well let me spew the facts here... 

Since 2009 Danny Amendola has ran a higher percentage of his routes from the slot (85.3%) then Welker has (73.8%)

While Rusty also likes to make a big deal how Amendola is a better deep receiver then Welker is.  Since 2009 out of 2104 routes ran Welker has been targeted as a deep receiver  38 times with 17 receptions for 655 yards.  An average of 38.5 yards per deep reception.  Out of 1085 routes ran Amendola was targeted 18 times with 5 receptions for 163 yards.  An average of 32.6 yards per reception.

In another thread Rust said how much better the Pats will do with adding Amendola into screen passes, something Rusty said Welker didn't do much.  In 2012 Welker was targeted 22 time on screen passes while Amondola just 7.

As you can see Rusty just throw's out numbers and stats as well as false statements.  The things he says is just not true.  He has an agenda here regardless if what he says is true or not.  How can people believe a word he says?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Here is another decent highlight reel against the skins last year

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=wY8x4jY4Wl8

what stands out to me;

he has good short area quickness and change of direction like Wes.

he catches almost everything thrown his way. 

Doesnt over expose his body to big hits. Wes was the master here at protecting his body

but Danny is pretty good as well.

he uses his hands well to make catches. Wes did okay here, but Wes tended to catch

a lot with his body ...maybe because he has small hands

decent punt returner but honestly I think Edelman is better, more electric in the open field. 

The other thing, too, is he has a much wider radius for a target zone.  So, he has clear physical advantages over Welker just by physical make up.

He's a bigger Welker, essentially. I am flummoxed as to how this isn't a win considering the whole package.

I will say, I'd prefer him not returning punts to reduce risk, which is why I want Edelman back.

2 things Russ.

1. Wes was a sure bet, Danny is an unknown quantity 

2. Danny's durability 

these 2 things concern most on this board. I don't think anyone's doubts his ability and what he can be, but folks like myself are worried about the above. cant really blame people here . 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

tfb u agree with my posts? isn't is funny all these flaws and limits welker suddenly got?

I don't agree with much of what you say around here (hahahaha) but you are speaking the truth when you say that.  Everyone is clung onto Amendola's nads and he hasn't proved a whole lot during his career yet.  With the exception of not being able to play complete seasons.  And he hasn't even played 1 down for the Pats and several here are already anointing him as this star playmaker that the Patriots offense has been lacking for so many years.  After 6 years of lighting up the field, being the most dependable and productive player on offense (outside of Brady) missing what.. 3 games out of 6 years, taking the hits that he took and then refusing $5mill a year, the guy is treated as a slouch.  Pretty sickning!

And let's get this straight everyone, I would be arguing just as much had this happened with another top player on the team.  Well, matter of fact I did when they let Moss go.  And guess what, I was correct then. They still have not got a deep threat to fill that void!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I don't agree with much of what you say around here (hahahaha) but you are speaking the truth when you say that.  Everyone is clung onto Amendola's nads and he hasn't proved a whole lot during his career yet.  With the exception of not being able to play complete seasons.  And he hasn't even played 1 down for the Pats and several here are already anointing him as this star playmaker that the Patriots offense has been lacking for so many years.  After 6 years of lighting up the field, being the most dependable and productive player on offense (outside of Brady) missing what.. 3 games out of 6 years, taking the hits that he took and then refusing $5mill a year, the guy is treated as a slouch.  Pretty sickning!

And let's get this straight everyone, I would be arguing just as much had this happened with another top player on the team.  Well, matter of fact I did when they let Moss go.  And guess what, I was correct then. They still have not got a deep threat to fill that void!

TFB, my friend be calm, let`s hope we get a ring this season, and everything will be ok.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

what rusty won't hear of and so doesn't add into the equation is the fact that i never feared the pats D, not in 07 or 11...i did have major concerns about pats O both games and welker was a real pain in the a** who made me yell at the tv

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

what rusty won't hear of and so doesn't add into the equation is the fact that i never feared the pats D, not in 07 or 11...i did have major concerns about pats O both games and welker was a real pain in the a** who made me yell at the tv

you mean screaming in excitement after welker dropped that pass in super bowl 46?

look, welker was great here and i appreciate everything he did. but enough of this sense that the patriots will be much worse off without him. the pats have continually put up great offensive numbers during the regular season, the problem is they have sh*t their pants every time they had to go up against a tough, physical defense[jets, ravens, giants]. obviously what danny will do as a pat is unknown at this point...but it was obvious a change was needed on the offensive side and thats just what is happening. the offense and brady need to know that putting up 17, 14, and 13 points in key playoff games is just flat out unacceptable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Great. Thanks for the contribution BG. You are a valued contibutor to a board of a team you hate. Does it make you heel better about yourself to be on this board, or conversing with your giant friends about the team you actually follow? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You know, I have a few friends who are Pats fans but I have a whole lot of friends who aren't Pats fans and even as productive as Gronk has been, the person these people feared the most on the Pats, outside of TFB of course, is Welker.  I hear daily from other teams fans what a mistake it was to let him get away, and to the Broncos of all teams.  These people I talk know their football, they love their football, they live for football.  They are smart football people/fans and I have not talked to a single person yet who thinks letting Welker get away was good. They say when their team has to face the Pats then it was a good thing, hahaha!!  Sometime it takes people who can see things from outside the bubble to put things into perspective for those who can't look outside their bubble.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Their are some very intelligent posters on this board and I think all can agree on one thing--IF Amendola STAYS healthy, and thats a big if, TB will get him the ball a lot and his catches and stats will go WAY up--the kids a talent but that does NO good if you can't suit up!

Sections
Shortcuts